ICE or Fire wizz ?

M

makgsnake

What does the most damage in RvR (lvl 50), and what do you think is best in your opinion ?

G

gunner440

FIREIFIREIFRIEFIRIEFIRIEIFREIFIREFIRE

FIRE

S

StormriderX

ice is bad bad spec line - spec earth instead o_0

K

K0nah

they're both good, aoe fire ontop of ice pbaoe is pure evul. exterminate a fg in seconds :D and before someone pipes in "yeah but another ice wiz would be faster!1" yes it would, if the enemies dont move. fire aoe can be focussed and track the action pbaoe cant.

i prefer fire myself, but albion needs more ice wiz. we need nearer 50/50 than the 90/10 we have atm.

N

necromancia

FIRE!!!

Earth's a pretty good spec too. You can dish out some serious damage with it and then there are the über-buffs :)

S

stinkie

ICE

definatly ICE but spec fire till 40 then respec unless you have a dedicated PBAOE grp

B

belth

Ice>Fire... The AoE is better too if there's another ice-wizzy pbaoeing already...

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Go Ice. I have a lvl 48 fire wiz and I wish, I wish, I WISH I had respec'd to ice when I had a respec availible. :(

H

Hit ^_^

ae takes to much aggro compared to pbae that takes allmost none if you are grouped.

G

ghaladriel

Fire :flame:

Ghaladriel lvl 50 Alerion Knight [First Cohort]

Tunda lvl 24 Guardian [Alamut]

M

medowind

Fire for range

Ice for point blank death

Earth for range through walls

K

kirennia

fire is naff :p

ice is great at 1.60

ok, heres the options. A fire wizard at spec will get a 215DD, a minor ae and a bolt (bugged bolt i mean ;)). Also a baseline buff and a single target root but they aint much to write home about.

Alternatively, you could roll a body sorc which will get a 205DD (pretty much the same), a 30 second mezz (better then a single target root a fire wizzie will get), a 50% cold/fire debuff (very useful for pbaoer's) a lvl 50 pet and a minor mana regen spell. Sure theres more too but there ya go.

Also you could rool a wind/ice theurg, can't remember which one gets a 205DD, pbt, a kind of ae root and pets to annoy the hell out of casters.

So in summary, if you want a ranged nuker, chose a theurg/sorc which r specced well and you will have a lot more utility and a nuke which isnt exactly much worse. also theurgs/sorcs get invited a shed load more into groups then a fire wizard. Theurgs/sorcs r in short in albion. Fire wizards are in excess and not a great way to spec.

Ice wizards have no other 'alternative class' in albion. They are unique in our realm. Spec ice and you get a 176DD at range (lol), a 10% cold single target debuff with added dmg, a 10%cold ae debuff with dmg, a good snare/DD butthe main one is the 325pbaoe you get. It does the exact same dmg as the enchanter pbaoe BUT isnt as good until 1.60 where the cast time becomes the same. Few other small abilities like EB but there ya go.

In summary, if you want to be a risk taker, roll an ice wizzie. If you wanna nuke at the back line chose a theurg/body sorc. Either way, until fire wizzies r fixed, they are not the way to go :p

R

Roma

Fire only really has the DD going for it which is 219 mesthinks
Bolts are naff really and the ranged ae isnt that useful unless you want to leech RPs in a zerg and we know enough about breaking mezzes etc with useless ae stuff.

Fire is by far the easiest spec line to play, sit back and nuke etc. Ive played a considerable amount of a darkness rm to know this - similar play style with those etc.

If you are considering randomly finding groups for ice tho, I wouldnt recommend it at all. You need a group who will understand how it can work it RvR, you will need serious protection and healing - provided very well when I play odium by BF and previously LoD. I hardlyever bother with non-guild or specific groups these days since its far too much hassle to play as I want.

Anyway comparison for ice vs fire

ICE DD 179
FIRE DD 219

however you can debuff your ice spec for 10%? I believe
This would made your DDs 197 I think - so not far behind. The debuff also delves at 171 which isnt that bad really.
It is also worth considering the fact that cold is a higher lvl resist buff. Against hibs this probably wont matter since most spec to 35 nuture which is 16% cold and heat. However the most popular spec for active shaman is 32aug which gives the 16% heat resist but only the 8% cold resist which would effectively lower the fire DD to around 129delve with the ice self debuffed to around 136delve. However, rather a specific example.
The point is however is that against normally balanced groups the ice DD is at least equivalent to the fire DD.

ICE AEDD 130
FIRE AEDD 158

Not much difference considering the fact that the ice ranged is an ae debuff is a nice plus point.

OTHERS....
The difference then is that the ice line has pbae and a snare whilst fire has bolts. Pbae in albion groups isnt that useful unless as I say you play with people who know how you will play. You will find that 95% of time you are sole pbaer so that the groups cannot rely on it as itself like hibs and chanters can - nor have the luxury of the healer ae stun. So basic pbae usage is for quickly whiping out noobish groups or using in a more defensive role. It can work well when you find a group of <insert random tank> hitting on your tanks or healers. If you want to use offensively in a group it is nice o have a slam tank, guard tank and healer all helping you and you have moc and purge ready if needed. If you charge a fg of mezzed enemy without moc and purge ready then your group will likely die. moc is 100% necessary. However it is kinda useless without purge. Any intelligent tank who sees you will slam you - you will need that purge for the moc.
The snare is useful when you dont want to get involved in the action and you want to hurt say a zerker some. Its much better using the chain snares to try to kill him than use pbae - unless you have a slam pet etc.

Bolts kinda suck really atm due to the extremely bad coding and the fact that they are useless on tanks (as they take into consideration AF etc).

I would spec ice to 50 and rest earth. Odium is currently 48I/24E and would like to go full Ice for the last snare since the different bits you get in Earth arent as good as if the points were specced in ice.

As a whole tho, both specs are viable with fire being far easier to play than ice. Spamming fire dd is much easier than using debuff dd snares and looking for opportunity to pop in and pbae. tbh tho the fire wizard doesnt do enough for me when an air theurg who can act as secondary cc, pbt and almost as good nukes has so much more utility. I wont talk about body sorces as they should be debuffing for me rather than nuking. The key to ice is knowing the class and knowing the people you play with and have the realm skills necessary. If you dont have those then it is most unsatisfactory.

rather long but I hope it showed some decent points.

edit: I dont consider earth to have enough on its own to be a decent spec, especially since it has no DD.

M

mac_kraakebolle

ice allso gets a cold debuff compund in one of hes DDs and a snare in one.... and if thats not enugh he allso has the most dammaging spell ingame PBAoE

Id say go fire to level 20 then respec to ice.....

but then again depends on what you would like to do.. if dammage is your only consern it would be ice

BTW:
has anyone ever tryed a rvr group like:
1 mistrel
1 mind sorc
2 clerics
4 ice wizards

everyone would have purge the wizards would have MoC
and the other classes all had their special RAs

Edit: oh and the ICE PBAoE is 325 delve (clearly the most dammaging spell)

O

old.Wildfire

Just bear in mind that you will never hit anyone for close to the theoretical 975 cap of the pbaoe. Drop-off is immense, and everyone is running around with capped cold resist these days.

Ice wizards really aren't the uber kill-all-mega-death class that some people make them out to be. I'd say neither has a definite advantage over the other.

S

StormriderX

a moc pb mage is a light tanks worst nightmare since 99% don't have slam to stop em in their tracks and unless they are zerks usually can't kill them fast enough either :eek:

R

Roma

pbae - you'll do around 750ish to people - sitting on top of them before resists with a good int buff. Drop off is severe. You want targets to be a 150range of you to do decent dmg after standard resists. (around 300).

At the end of the day ice has more dmg potential - but considering how most alb groups work -the average damage over time between them is about the same. Ice you will need more assistance than fire. ice is very nice if you get it right - death spam of 6+ is always nice. Just pick which one you want to play really at the end of the day. I envy fire's easy dmg methods whilst Im sure they envy the ice wizzie's potential dmg etc

S

Sharp Thing

Originally posted by StormriderX
a moc pb mage is a light tanks worst nightmare since 99% don't have slam to stop em in their tracks and unless they are zerks usually can't kill them fast enough either :eek:
yeah, you learned your lesson :p

H

hercules-df

Depends how you wanna play, Ive got a fully specced Earth wizzy atm, single DOt is nice, aoe root is 2secs and the bolt is handy when needed. the aoe snare/dd takes far too long to cast and theres no DD. So Id go Ice if ur a roaming wizzy in rvr, since most the time mids head straight for the casters pbaoe might actually be of use, fires uber bolt never hits and dd aint enough when theres lots of enemy near to u.

Earth is the absolute DADDY for keep takes and defence tho, ice and fire are pretty much useless is these situations, the odd bolt at an archer and desperate aoe attempt on a door is about it, then again how many times are you lucky enough to be inside a keep when its being attacked?

Im sat in notts atm waiting for a MASSIVE mid zerg reported 2 hours ago to do something, they appeared not long after we took bledmeer in a drawn out battle which mustve been fun for both sides, now the mids seem to be either logging out near to notts/bled for a 6am retake as usual and give no fun to anbody what so ever. ( not even the geekiest geeks from mid could enjoy taking an undefended keep YET AGAIN in their own frontier)

Any idea if they are ever gonna "Fix" Earth? maybe make gtaoe do a bit more dmg or give us a dd?

M

mac_kraakebolle

the real advantage of PBAoE is when more then one mage do it in the same spot though

in a group if anyone attacks your healer you can just start to PB and he can run over if he hits the mage he hits moc or gets a heael and someone slamt the attacker if he continues to hit the healer he dies

and if more PBAoEers do it in the same spot its devastating

and at the end of the day Id take a snare nuke over a plain ranged nuke any day.... you cant kill a tank with high resists anyhow your better off with snaring him while nuking and bear in mind that you can allso debuff 10% cold

K

kirennia

snare has a chain cast effect? o_O

Also bear in mind ice wizards arent nearly as good as the other realms counterparts due to 3.0sec cast instead of hib/mid 2.5sec cast time. This however gets changed in 1.60 so will b a nice change for those who didn't have it originally :D

E

Ekydus

Fire wizard for the nukes.
Ice wizard for the PBAoE.

Personally I play a Fire wizard, but Albion do need more PBAoEers.

Ice : Spec 48 Ice / Rest Earth.
Fire : Spec 50 Fire / Rest Earth.

R

Roma

well.... ice is kinda useful for keep D....
againsthibs (mids have too much ae) it is possible to do a decent pbae at the door. Lead with a gtae first to interupt the chanter pbae. And if you get a few pbaers in the right place you can defend a keep with ease at the lord room....

You can chain snare someone - just sit back and spam snares - no already has this effect - tho rooting wont work.

With 300ish dex the pbae is well under the "cap" of 2seconds anyway. I doubt in general RvR the lowering of 0.5secs willl be noticed that much for me at least. Ive outpbaed loadsa chanters and sms etc. Its nice but is hardly gonna change things a lot. At lower lvls and when unbuffed you'd notice I guess. :/

If you go ice go to 50 - the snare is much better than the little better earth bolt and dmg shield you get.

O

old.Zoyster

I'd say we need more Ice Wizards in RvR.

And, Wizards need loving in future patch, coz Hibbs like Tyka hit me harder than I hit him. We r supposed to be the hardest hitter, I have maxed Resists......... so I don't know how this is possible.

Plus, we can't nearsight, debuff or anything, we r seriously nerfed.

Users who are viewing this thread