Crossbow - opinions and experience

D

Dardamein

Greetings friends!

Me and some choirboys are having a little discussion about the Crossbow. Apparently we seem to know very little about it. We have an armsman willing to train Crossbow 50 but we dont know really what the benefits and drawbacks would be.

Is it a huge difference in damage output, range etc?

How does the crossbow function in realmfighting?

Has anyone really had the experience with crossbow 50?

Actually any input would be welcome but pure flaming would be sad to encounter. Ok now since I said it I bet the flaming commences. Maybe time to sort the immature from the mature. Some intelligent discussion wanted.

The plan for the man was:

50 crossbow
39 twohanded
21 slash
41 parry (hoping for twohanded parry bonus to work now)
7 shield

Cheers!

D

del_eneste

I imagine that 50 xbow would do quite abit of damage? but also you gotta think how often you'd be using it in rvr. I mean armsmen go for mids/hibs not stand back trying to fire a xbow altho... it might be worth a go. But at the same time it might fuck up his character :/

H

Hedek

Err sorry can't really help you about whether training crossbow is useful or not. I've heard it decreased dmg variance but that's all.

But if you indeed wanted to do an "x-bow" template I think you should totally forget about 2h or polearm and be a "base" s/s arms (42 shield 50 weapon 35 crossbow rest in parry). Why 35 xbow because even as an "x-bow" armsman you'll still do most of your dmg with your sword, and 35 means you reach 50 x-bow at RR5 (which is pretty easy to reach).

Now the biggest problem about x-bow in RvR is that draw time is REALLY too slow. Why do you think archers were so happy about rapid fire although dmg per arrow is greatly reduced when using it ? Because they can at least fire arrows before being interrupted. 5 (up to 4 sec with modified stats) secs is really too long to be of any use in RvR... and the only use I can find for such a spec is in keep defense. Now ask yourself how often do you participate to keep takes and determine whether it's worth it.

In a typical week of RvR, 3 hours of rvr a day (15-20 hours a week) a player participates to no more than 3 keep takes. And even less keep defenses.

L

Lizia

In the US the x-bow arms does well, with a higher to hit, and a bit more dammage per shot then the Scout on x-bow 50. Problems is the lower range, and longe reload time.

Most go for something like this:

x-bow: 50
Shield: 42
Slash: 29
Parry: left over

Roll is to protect the casters, and still being able to do a few things, its very fast to change back to S&S and slam that inc Hib/Mid. With determination to cream things off.

Still seen no x-bow arms jet on any europe server, and considering to this it now for some time if it is indeed valid as US claims.

To be honest I think its as valid as a 2H pallie, nice spec, not the top of posibilities of an armsman, but performce well enough, and a fun spec.

Lizia

D

del_eneste

Also another thing would be getting RvR groups... I mean serious RvR players/groups would prob kick him/her out of the group if they saw him/her using a xbow all the time :/

A

Antedeluvian

Originally posted by Lizia
In the US the x-bow arms does well, with a higher to hit, and a bit more dammage per shot then the Scout on x-bow 50. Problems is the lower range, and longe reload time.

Most go for something like this:

x-bow: 50
Shield: 42
Slash: 29
Parry: left over

Roll is to protect the casters, and still being able to do a few things, its very fast to change back to S&S and slam that inc Hib/Mid. With determination to cream things off.

Still seen no x-bow arms jet on any europe server, and considering to this it now for some time if it is indeed valid as US claims.

To be honest I think its as vlid as a 2H pallie, nice spec, not the top of posibilities of an armsman, but performce well enough, and a fun spec.

Lizia

LOL, agree whit u, xbow armsmen would be as valids as 2H pallies..... and matter sorcs, smithe clerics, full rej friars.... get the point?

B

Bleri McThrust

There is talk of Mythic doing something with xbow spec :)

Just dont hold your breath :p

D

Dardamein

Maturity and common sense above all!

Thanks for your input. We have reviewed and come to the conclusion that 36 crossbow will be more then sufficient and with realm rank 4 + spellcrafting/items reach skill 50. This will give us quite the lot more to work with.

Seems thou like Catacombs character builder has forgot the armsmen parry skill.....

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by Dardamein
Maturity and common sense above all!

Seems thou like Catacombs character builder has forgot the armsmen parry skill.....

The parry line has been lost but theres a new version of the character builder coming out soon so its not going to get fixed.

Just use one of the other lines instead of parry.

K

Kagato.

Crossbow damage is actually very good, with just 6+11 on mine I usually hit between 150-300 damage depending on target resistance. And according to the Armsman TL the damage does scale up very nicely with spec.

As for draw time i'll have to disagree I have 16.5 dps 4.0 speed bow and with my mere 60 in quickness it still draws in 3 seconds, back when I was using a maxed quickness template it would draw in 2 seconds.

But the major problem is the range, nothing else just the very poor range, which is alot shorter then the majority of spells and the only reason I don't use mine more often is because I know I can sprint that distance and hit them with my pole in much the same amount of time.

It would be interesting to see but your problems with be lack of chances to use it and constantly moving to get within range.

Personally I think they should change crossbows to have there range increase with spec.

Of cause really you should forget two hand or pole if your planning this, 50 crossbow 42 shield, as much slash as you can and the left over in parry, at least you'll have the option then of slamming and using your bow a few times before melee.

Of cause when polearms get nerfed in 1.65 I might actually respec full crossbow for a laugh before I quit :D

D

Dardamein

New plan

50 twohanded (double parry bonus)
36 crossbow (50 at rr4)
36 parry (50 at rr4)
25 slash
7 shield

Can't he be passive/casterguard like this? Really like to use and try the twohanded parry bonus. Maybe there is no real stun style to pull off?

I believe that parry is initial 5% bonus and 0.5% for every level of parry. Does the bonus for twohanded weapons apply upon the whole parry bonus or just the trained percentages?

36 parry would give 2(5+(36*0.5) % = 46% bonus

OR 5+2(36*0.5) % = 41% bonus

Input anyone?

L

Lizia

The varia of your 2H weapon is plain bad, to low slash skill.

The dammage of your x-bow skill is bad, to low spec to be valid.

Would never consider this spec :p

Lizia

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Appollo
<---- 2s draw time (27 xbow)
Drawtimes are rounded to nearest second, so anything under 3 seconds shows as 2.0

Unless youve actually logged & tested a large number of xbow shots to calculate the average drawtime of course :)

K

Kagato.

Originally posted by Lizia
The varia of your 2H weapon is plain bad, to low slash skill.

The dammage of your x-bow skill is bad, to low spec to be valid.

Would never consider this spec :p

Lizia

What she said, going half way on your spec is trying to squeeze to much out of too few points.

At least with 42 shield you'll be able to guard effectively, slam and hopefully shoot for alot of damage inbetween. And it will give you the option of slamming an enemy and shooting them possibly up to 3 times before melee.

B

belth

Roll an infil if you want to do damage with x-bow without spending spec-points :p

x-bow plain sucks. Altho I've killed casters with shields down with it, but that's pretty much it.

O

old.Reno

I believe that parry is initial 5% bonus and 0.5% for every level of parry. Does the bonus for twohanded weapons apply upon the whole parry bonus or just the trained percentages?

There is no parry bonus for using a 2 handed weapon.
Using a 2 hander halves your opponents parry, it does not double/increase your own.

Danita

D

Dardamein

Originally posted by old.Reno
There is no parry bonus for using a 2 handed weapon.
Using a 2 hander halves your opponents parry, it does not double/increase your own.

Danita

Ok then the Catacomb flyout description for parry is wrong?

"Parry Description
This ability grants you a base chance of 5% to deflect blows with your weapon, modified by the level difference between you and your attacker. Furthermore, each point you put into parry adds .5% chance to deflect blows.

Wielding a two handed weapon effectively doubles your chance to parry."

M

Moody

Ok then the Catacomb flyout description for parry is wrong?

Yup.

But how about this spec.

slash 44
shield 42
parry 28
xbow 36

With spellcrafting this would be very nice altho it can be tricky to squeeze 4 times +11 skill in a template.

S

Sol-

New plan

50 twohanded (double parry bonus)
36 crossbow (50 at rr4)
36 parry (50 at rr4)
25 slash
7 shield

Can't he be passive/casterguard like this? Really like to use and try the twohanded parry bonus. Maybe there is no real stun style to pull off?

OR 5+2(36*0.5) % = 41% bonus

Input anyone?

exactly wtf are you going to hurt with 25 slash, your varience is gona be shit.

G

gunner440

+1 xbow added 1dmg to my cap (now 322)

i dont see how +xbow will really help =(

O

Ocond

Originally posted by saltymcpepper
lol
RETARD
zRRRR

Dont be such a prick, Hes asking a question, thus he was unsure about the effect of 50xbow.

Take ur zRRRR's back to the offtopic forum.

kthx.

I rolled a 20 armsman who was full xbow, dmg wasnt bad, but thing is, I was using the freebi armor with no items etc :)

tbh, I havent much idea what it would be like 50 x-bow, its short range/high dmg i would imagine.

S

Silenzio

The plan for the man was:

50 crossbow
39 twohanded
21 slash
41 parry (hoping for twohanded parry bonus to work now)
7 shield

Cheers!

dont waste point in 2h... get good spech in slash

lower parry n rise bit ov shield otherwise ull be a walkind dead...

xbow is funny... but none will get u in group if they know ur spec...

so find a spec that allow u to surivive a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom