Question Film of The Year

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
There have been some ok films this year sadly I have not seen all the ones I want to. However, so far this year there has been a winner and that was: we're the millers. Why? Because I laughed till I felt like I was going to die and I haven't done that for a very long time. Second to that was Thor and then Iron Man 3. The wolverine film was really quite dreadful and Star Trek was okish.

I have not seen ' worlds end' yet or 'mortal instruments'. Additionally there is the hobbit before the end of the year and a swedish film based on a book called 'hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann'. The hundred year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared. Author Jonas Jonasson.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I was surprised by The Millers. Was fully expecting it to be a bad film and it was (imo) but I laughed more than I have at any comedy for ages. And that's more important for a comedy than it being 'good'.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The scene where the boy kisses his "mum" and "sister" repeatedly is fucking hilarious. That little dude must have snogged Aniston about 30 times :D

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I was surprised by The Millers. Was fully expecting it to be a bad film and it was (imo) but I laughed more than I have at any comedy for ages. And that's more important for a comedy than it being 'good'.
For that reason alone I'd have to give best comedy to Bad Grandpa then, only film this year to make me cry with laughter.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The scene where the boy kisses his "mum" and "sister" repeatedly is fucking hilarious. That little dude must have snogged Aniston about 30 times :D

The kid in it is English and was very good in a film called "Wild Bill" (pretty crap film tbh but good acting from him)

leggy

Probably Scottish
He is in Son of Rambo too isn't he?
He is indeed. He was awesome in that… not so much in the Millers though.

I agree about the kissing scene, but only because I was jealous as fuck.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Think I might rewatch Brazil at the weekend. Teach my housemates that cinema is not just Michael Bay & Co.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Just watched my film of the year. Justice League Flashpoint Paradox. I don't why they just don't give Bruce Timm a budget to make a Live Action Justice League movie. Granted its an alternative timeline story, they go to some dark places with it.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
World's End - 5/10 - Basically, everything after the last bar scene ruined the film. Would have been higher if they had a proper ending.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
World's End - 5/10 - Basically, everything after the last bar scene ruined the film. Would have been higher if they had a proper ending.

I kinda like the ending. It's a nice big fuck you.

Watched it last night with the missus. She loved it, thought it was great. I thought it was good - very enjoyable. After all the negative press I was pleasantly surprised.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Love all of Gilliam's stuff, will def go and see this

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saw Gravity last night, apart from a few minor details, wow. The sound is used to great effect throughout the film, 3d actually works in this, there were times when I was constantly flinching as I thought I was going to be hit with stuff. Well worth a see.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Saw Gravity last night, apart from a few minor details, wow. The sound is used to great effect throughout the film, 3d actually works in this, there were times when I was constantly flinching as I thought I was going to be hit with stuff. Well worth a see.
Yeah, I've heard it's one of very very few films worth seeing in 3D. Will give it a go next week.

Chilly

Balls of steel
it's just one long pointless fight between invulnerable supermen, which at the end is finished in a way which could have happened at any point during that fight. Really, *really* fucking annoying.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For me, Gravity. Superb film, some genuine "holy fuck" moments, fantastic audio design and a real "will it all be ok?" feeling toward the end. You genuinely don't know what's going to happen.

Chilly

Balls of steel
For me, Gravity. Superb film, some genuine "holy fuck" moments, fantastic audio design and a real "will it all be ok?" feeling toward the end. You genuinely don't know what's going to happen.
seeing tonight. giggidy.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Boy is utterly enchanting, it's certainly one of my favourite films that I've seen this year. It was made in 2010 but only had a very limited original release (New Zealand, basically). It was only released (home media; it did the rounds at the festivals back in 2010) over this way this year I think (maybe 2012). Whatever, it's really good.

I've also recently watched Pacific Rim (4.5/5, fantastic fun to watch), The World's End (3/5), This is the End (3/5), We're the Millers (4/5). I liked Jack Reacher (4/5) but I'm balls-deep in the book series so I knew what to expect. I was unhappy with the choice of Cruise before I'd seen it but I guess it works. Iron Man 3 (3/5), better than 2, not as good as 1.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Who feels like averaging all our ratings together? Hint: not me.

Chilly

Balls of steel
what did you think of gravity? I was hoping to see it in 3d as I haven't seen a 3d film yet.
I thought it was good. No glaringly obvious problems with the physics. Acting was excellent. The only problem I had was the cinema I went to see it in was dogshit (Hammersmith Cineworld). Screen was small, auditorium was too bright during the film and there were loads of noisy cunts everywhere. The film demands utter blackness and silence for best effect. If I were going to see it again, I'd recommend a showing at a high quality theatre in 3d at an off peak time when it will be quiet. It's really one of those films where it's all about the cinematography. You cant watch this on VHS and enjoy it, basically.
the worlds end - 48/62

AVERAGE THAT
3.9/5

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just got back from watching Gravity in IMAX. Top drawer film. Interestingly, there was an extended trailer for The Desolation of Smaug just before it, and the naturalistic handling of the 3D in Gravity made The Hobbit look fucking awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom