FAO Soloers who have problems with adds

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Just a thought to the no-add soloing gang.

I have nothing but respect for you and the way you play, and thanks for allowing me to give you a nice supply of basically free rps (most of the time). As you can see I need the practice. :)

Now to the point. You guys are serious about how you play. You value honour and friendship over all that realm versus realm stuff. That kind of confuses a lot of people as you know. What I don't get is that you do the soloing thing right beside zergy areas like bridges and towers and so you clash all the time with those who clearly don't get what it is your doing.

Why don't you nominate a narrow zone in each realm where you would like to play like this? Make it sufficiently far away from the zergs to enable yourselves to have a bit more peace.

I know Gahn tried the solo zone. It failed because there seemed to be too few people there. But the list was quite restricted (some would say not restricted enough).

Perhaps the best thing to do is openly state that you will go to this or that zone? Say from
a) in Alb the South of the Peninne mountains in a narrow strip to Bold.
b) in Mid East of Blendrake Guardtower past the ruins North to Glenlock
c) in Hib from Behn Spire across to nGed

Stick to the narrow strips of land and roam in there - most of the casual players don't really go there and you will get more space to play. The problem of camping beside the main bridges is your proximity to the casual players.

If it upsets you so much when they add what happens and if your playstyle is something to be proud of why don't you arrange a more suitable spot?

Of course there will be adders and small groups that will go there to grief you. But the chances are if you do this you will be able to reduce the likelihood of this happening. Hopefully you will not have as many incidents as you do currently and we can say that there is a good soloing culture on the server? If you have 3 and only 3 then the griefers will have to work for their rps and it might make it less likely to happen?

Just a thought. It seems silly to me that a lot of you expect everyone else to change when you don't even make a positive effort to establish your own space.

I would encourage you guys to make an open statement and let people know about it so that they can come - even if they are casual. Then encourage more to try out what your doing....

regards

Sharkith

kivik

Part of the furniture
As you said Gahn tried a similar zone. However it's usually ended up in duel circles, even though people were told to roam about more instead of forming those circles. Eventually it will get boring fighting the same hero 20 times and I think that's why it also died out.

If this solo zone was revived I would sure as hell take part in it, and try promote roaming! :)

Besides, where is gahn?

Talivar

Part of the furniture
All good ideas but the probleme is the second the fg vs fg ONLY ppl find out about these solo areas they just happen to get lost and find them by mistake and every solo person killed:( so in the end the solo ppl faced witha choice spend ages getting to somewhere to get ganked or spend 30 secs getting to bridge area to get ganked:)

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
kivik said:
As you said Gahn tried a similar zone. However it's usually ended up in duel circles, even though people were told to roam about more instead of forming those circles. Eventually it will get boring fighting the same hero 20 times and I think that's why it also died out.

If this solo zone was revived I would sure as hell take part in it, and try promote roaming! :)

Besides, where is gahn?

Gahn was on hols, he is back now.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Sure you could find a new place but then all the ppl that want the easy rps would just go there an kill an fun.. Its also easy to get to the bridges, take boat jump of an you got a fight pretty much :) instead of haveing to run 20 mins
in the frontier to get to the new spot just to get killt an have to go back :)

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
That's not solo'ing, Sharkith. Going to some seperate zone would be jumping around a lot and dueling the same guys constantly.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
actually if you get an Albion coast boat you can jump just south of the Peninne mountains so no worse than going to Mid (boat takes ages)..

I have roamed from the south of the pennines to Bold a lot and it is not far.

On the griefers. They will always grief but what I am arguing for here is much more subtle than that. If you make a positive effort to encourage your playstyle and have 3 zones to go to surely it makes it harder for the griefers?

I prefer roaming in a small area to the duels. Duels are ok I guess but I get bored very quickly. If you were roaming I would be more likely to jump you because I can keep the element of surprise which for a low rr shade is essential to win.... ;)

I guess I am saying what you guys should do is take the Gahn idea and modify it - but do something. That way people will respect you more.... which is what this is really about.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Congax said:
That's not solo'ing, Sharkith. Going to some seperate zone would be jumping around a lot and dueling the same guys constantly.

not sure about this. Lets say the duellers did this I would for example go try to jump someone on Bold bridge. Others will see the deathspam (most likely mine ;)) and come to investigate gradually the situation evolves away from camping Beno and Crauch... will stop posting for a bit to see what people think.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
That way people will respect you more.... which is what this is really about.

Ppl that only care about rps will never respect ppl that like to have solo fights.. really that simple..

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Annoying as it is though, half the fun IS the hunting and avoiding the groups, or killing the adds.

Dueling got boring for me long long ago, its the same people in the same templates, alot of the time you already both know the out come and you end up with those stupid dueling circles with people stood around watching. Its nice occasionally, or if an enemy you have known a long time has got a new spec and template to try.
But most of the all it does is reduce the amount of people you can fight, because it wouldn't be fair to attack someone stood around watching the duels.

I'd rather hunt, take my chances, and have a shot at killing the enemy and the add(s) or try and out smart the groups etc. Thats all part of the fun of soloing, not knowing what to expect, the good and the bad.

A seperate zone for soloing *would* be good if people could break the dumb duel circles habit and just treat it like normal RvR away from the groups. The hunting around boldiam and the pennines/ renaris areas used to be good for this.

Wazowski

Fledgling Freddie
Wonder how they count rp farming from soloing.... if i duel someone and then most likley to win... when im still on 50%+ or so.. and then spare him... Where goes the line from rp farming to just dueling... ?
And it wont work to just put up a zone and try to get the soloers there... they will show up once... and nothing more... give a special 'solo battleground" instead..... much much more funneh..

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
What i would like to know is how many of the duellers who whine at me for adding on their duel circles would do /rp off (iirc rp off stops around 44), because those duel circles are basically rp farming.

kivik

Part of the furniture
Fatload BoysDoCry said:
because those duel circles are basically rp farming.

If only one person knew that it would be you. I once did /rpoff when guards added on my fight, hoped it wouldn't count as a kill (in /title) but it still did.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I wouldnt care if never got rps again i just fight for the fun not the rps

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Its only RP farming if you start using clerics to rezz people to keep on rekilling.
A duel circle by itself is not rp farming, its 1 person fighting another and doing everything they can to win as per normal.

Theres a line, it may be a fine line but its there and always has been.

And even if you did use clerics to keep on rezzing, they wouldn't be worth any rps for another 3 minutes regardless.

I don't like duel circles anymore then anyone else, but I don't class it as rp farming, I do however think it spoils solo RvR, I only ever join in if im beckoned when I pass by and then leave.

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
The thing that makes soloers feel angry is that while u have a v fine fight that has already taken 1-2 mins and will last 1-2 more some peeps like Fatload (for instance, since they talk about him in another thread) come and ruin it. Plain and simple. And then is another thing that gets u angry... u spend 7 mins to get to an enemy land...and then they add/outnumber u badly so u have to spend another 7 mins...when those mofos the only thing that they do is w8 on the close area near the portal keep. Thats the prob.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
it does get a bit boring that solo zone thing. or did but mainly becuase there wasnt enough peeps there.

I mean you cant have it both ways. Like getting steamroller adds and insta death is like part of the game. the real annoying thing is you just get like some days where it happens like 10 runs on the trot. and you go somewhere quieter but like u get 1 person every 45 mins coming.

Its not always like this I think lately though for about the last month its been crap for hibs because its been irvr between albs and mids with hibs (specially if you soloing getting caught in a shit sandiwch in between the two opposing realm forces.

the problem is there is no real motivation to go and take keeps and create movement of enemy forces and thus create routes for scirmishers to work and stuff. Its all to static. IE realm A has this keep realm B has this one 99% of the server rvr's there etc.

The end game is lacking variety we need to scatter the forces over wider areas create different points of interests that FG and soloers will want to target. Somewhere everyone can have some sort of fun and competative end game in without just feeling like the moment you attack summin you gonna get dropped by 50 opponents.

easier said than done i guess but it cant be that hard.

Tulkos

One of Freddy's beloved
censi said:
it does get a bit boring that solo zone thing. or did but mainly becuase there wasnt enough peeps there.

I mean you cant have it both ways. Like getting steamroller adds and insta death is like part of the game. the real annoying thing is you just get like some days where it happens like 10 runs on the trot. and you go somewhere quieter but like u get 1 person every 45 mins coming.

Its not always like this I think lately though for about the last month its been crap for hibs because its been irvr between albs and mids with hibs (specially if you soloing getting caught in a shit sandiwch in between the two opposing realm forces.

the problem is there is no real motivation to go and take keeps and create movement of enemy forces and thus create routes for scirmishers to work and stuff. Its all to static. IE realm A has this keep realm B has this one 99% of the server rvr's there etc.

The end game is lacking variety we need to scatter the forces over wider areas create different points of interests that FG and soloers will want to target. Somewhere everyone can have some sort of fun and competative end game in without just feeling like the moment you attack summin you gonna get dropped by 50 opponents.

easier said than done i guess but it cant be that hard.

I actually agree with censi here there is very little movement in the game really bar to one bridge and to the other would be nice to see other routes used so it isnt just always one massive force vs another and you could have fights with solo, duo , trio and small groups in other places.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
censi said:

But i try to rvr in emain while mids/albs have irvr. But you feel their's no point sometimes as, as soon as you get the DC you either get buff stripped by some lamer druid that 90% of the time runs back to the tower or keep, or a pet class sends ml9 pet on you, and you can't do anything you can try kill the pet, but you can't as most heal it, and if you try kill the caster they run away while pet beating on you.

If emain had a better incentive to go there then maybe hibs would get a nice bit of action there.But alot of people arn't going to rebuff 10 times and boat to emain to get the same treatment 10 times in a row.

And if thats not happening you either get zerged while having a nice fight or get pa'ed by some stealther when ure resting.

If hibs wanted irvr they could get it, there well capable of getting it. But many people just chose to camp emain and add/zerg any soloers that attempt to try and have abit of fun there.

RvR could be so much more different, but many people arn't prepared to put the effort in to changing things.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
yep i agree with you brad, but thats the thing you either say fuck it im not getting on a boat just to get shafted by those people you describe or you go rvr with the 300 other mids in the irvr area or the bleed dropoff and share RP's with "your" realm lamers.

again it goes back to the point about static RVR and lack of movement of enemy forces and points of dynamic interest.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fatload BoysDoCry said:
because those duel circles are basically rp farming.
so far from the truth its amazing. I even had a convo with a GM ingame about it and he said what we were doing, while not exactly how the game was designed to be played was absolutly fine.

For me it just got boring, it was great for the first couple of weeks but in the end it was the same 5-10 (max) people from each realm each fight was much the same. if we were to post on here where the solo zone is you would just get every clueless moclolercaster running about fucking things up. the security worked well with the solo zones.

I prefer free roaming solo pvp, most decent groups leave me alone these days anyway so they arent really a problem, ofc you get the pugs that do add/zerg but shit happens, its all part of being a soloer. it is annoying when you get some cockend adding on your fight, at least you can /laugh at them when they get spanked by "enemy" players, its always nice to get the omgz mater you are like the Xrealmer, why didny you help me!!!! QQ going to report you mister" wanker PMs, makes me smile every time.

illu

Part of the furniture
I think all people mostly want when they "solo" is fair-ish fights.
Whether its 1on1, 1on many lowbies whatever, as long as there is the chance of a win and a chance of RP. Tbh you should get a small amount of RP for trying to RvR so that you don't log after a particular zergy night with 0RP - because that is real crap and not fun, which is not good for the game.

The problem is that 95% of the fights are at the iRvR zone, and if no iRvR, then at Beno/Bled Bridges/Docks.
What they ought to do for starters is ladders into every tower that anyone can go up (to stop this ridiculous tower humping scouts and casters do with their DI bots). That would cause some movement.
Then they should give a port into agramon that randomly ports you solo or grouped to say 10 pre-determined locations. This would make it more accessible to all.

And solo zones are wank basically. Knowing you are about to have a fight, things being scripted are /yawn. Keeping people on their toes, not knowing what is around the next corner, that's what the game is all about!
And you have to deal with adds in your own way and avoid FG's if you can, it's part of roaming skill, look around, look for inc's etc.

Oli - Illu

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with all of you. Also nice post Censi I agree. The moving population thing is what makes it more interesting by moving certain activity into more remote locations like the areas I described. The idea would be to try and pull the population out into a less concentrated area and reduce the likelihood of people with different styles brushing aginst each other. Its to try and improve options. The onyl way to do it is make it a widely known fact and open it up to everyone.

I feel sick sometimes when I see Brad and a lot of others getting zerged at DC. I never complain to realm mates because well everyone is packed together so much and it is seriously unreasonable to ask people around those places to not add. Sorry but I honestly feel it is. In a more remote place I would feel you have a case.

I know we might disagree on some things here from time to time but this is our game as a whole and it would be nice to try and reach solutions. So when I speak about the solo zone thing I mean it like a guideline. For those looking to solo. In other words go to the places I mentioned. If you get zerged try one of the other locations. Through IRC and the like I am sure you can eventually stretch the population out. Then stealthers are going to probably patrol the route to and from the zone and see if they can get that surprise kill. Think about it - the previous one didn't work because it became a duelling thing - turn it into a general rule of thumb and it might work much better organically...

I dislike the duelling because I effectively lose the element of surprise which I think makes for a much better fight... I also like hunting around for people and just going Beno and DC is boring. I get more fun at Beno east bridge than Beno SW bridge tbh....

illu said:
And solo zones are wank basically. Knowing you are about to have a fight, things being scripted are /yawn. Keeping people on their toes, not knowing what is around the next corner, that's what the game is all about!

great post and I agree but for it to have the added spice it would be much better to let everyone know where the zone is. Effectively you invite the unusual all that it means is that hopefully you end up with less zerging? I think statistically it might work.

Punj

Fledgling Freddie
i think a huge part of the problem is people forgeting the roots of the game,while i respect that people want 8vs8/1vs1/iRvR it's really not what the game was designed for.

i think giving keeps in each land a specific bonus for example: take nottmoor faste gives tanks in your realm some kinda bonus, taking another keep might give stealthers a bonus while another might give hybrids a bonus,maybe 1 keep could give a pve coin bonus for the rest of the realm.the bonuses could even be timered so it only lasted for a number of hours after the keeptake.

i'm just using that as an example i'm sure the many hundreds of players still playing could chip in and come up with some pretty good ideas to add to this concept,things not as overpowering as the relic bonuses but still worth working as a realm again to achieve and spreading the RvR around the realms again.

bring back the fun i say:p

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
The problem is all down to travel.

There are no fights enroute to anywhere.

You get a boat that will take you as close to the keep as possible, run from the shore to the keep. Have a fight.

Theres no major cross-land travel that will make you likely to encounter enemies when you least expect it.

This is due two 2 main problems, the ocean and the portal system.

Firstly I think they should change the portal system so enemies can only teleport into 1 keep in an enemy frontier, that being the main costal keeps, bled, beno and DC.

This means the realms will have to fight it out to gain teleport rights in an enemy frontier, causing nice 3 way fights and stopping enemies from just going and taking another keep instead to teleport too and avoid conflict.

Secondly they need to change the agramon layout to make it more attractive, lower the mountains around the edge so people can take boats or swim there whilst avoiding the crossings if they wish and give a reason to go there (possibly already addressed next expansion).

Lastly,

Get rid of the god damn relics.

No seriously, bare with me on this, replace the relics instead with a bonus per enemy keep owned, for example, 2% bonus to melee/magic damage per enemy keep.

This means you have an incentive to keep attacking enemy frontiers, an incentive to defend and recapture and always a 3 way fight going.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
if anything the bonus should be down to population (i would much rather see it removed)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
The problem is all down to travel.

There are no fights enroute to anywhere.

You get a boat that will take you as close to the keep as possible, run from the shore to the keep. Have a fight.

Yup thats about the crux of it but the solution is more difficult than you say because NF is there for those that like the bridge humping and towers where they have a place to hide. My point is that this is what we have got and if you guys are serious about solo roaming then why not move to the locations I talked about. By shifting duelling for example to south of the Penines you will draw people out and roaming could start.

I would hunt the route from Bold to the coast and try to jump people I think the element of surprise is what makes the game interesting. You guys have said so - so why don't you do something about it?

You are the guys who can change this no-one else will and "thats the bottom line...."

Thlauni

Fledgling Freddie
I actually noticed people been a lot better at not complaining about adding, well at least to me that is.

On the other hand, just a question. Has anyone ever seen a RR1 insist on the 1vs 1 concept? I have noticed there is a marked tendency towards them being higher RR's, which I am sure incidentially also means they have a much higher chance of winning.

And just for laughs, just ask my guild if I felt stupid last night. Spend the first 1½ hour loudly complaining about us rangers (am archer specced mostly) not being able to kill anything. Then I realized I had redone my quickbar, so basically when I tried to do my anytime style, I actually tried to do a crit shot. That is not all that effective in melee.

DeadOnArrival

Loyal Freddie
Dark Age of Camelot Freedom Fighters

I find that there is usually 1 zone thats zergy with fg's running around, 1 zone that has 'THE DARK AGE OF CAMELOT FREEDOM FIGHTERS' and 1 zone that has a few stragglers heading to there docks. trying to find the solo FF and when your there and trying to avoid the zergs is all part of the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom