FAO Scouse, Tom, other bike nuts

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
pretty costs munnies you tight git :)

you can get non-qr seatpost clamps, just like you can get non-qr axles. how about popping round a bike shop and inquiring after any second hand stuff? my lbs sold a mate a real cracking 2nd hand city bike the other day for next to nothing. It's a thing of beauty and I'm quite jealous really 0o

also...are you 100% adamant re the suspension? Will's not joking you know Wazzbacon...

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Ah, it's a mythical thing that list. Many supposedly were included, but no eye witnesses ever confirmed its existance. Thing of the Occult, that.

TdC

Been to hospital today: bones show no signs of healing according to x-rays. Doc says because the broken collarbone is right out at it's finest structure, they are very hesitant to go for an operation, eg there is not enough bone to screw support plates to. Statement of intent now is to wait 5 weeks and see if I heal up more. If the bones do not re-knit, they will operate regardless and screw the plates in somewhere else/re-break. Meh.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What? I'm not on Toms ignore list anymore? :cheers:

I think only deebs can see who's on who else's ignore list. As far as I know I'm only on one, but on the other hand you could all be a figment of my imagination.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
pretty costs munnies you tight git :)

you can get non-qr seatpost clamps, just like you can get non-qr axles. how about popping round a bike shop and inquiring after any second hand stuff? my lbs sold a mate a real cracking 2nd hand city bike the other day for next to nothing. It's a thing of beauty and I'm quite jealous really 0o

also...are you 100% adamant re the suspension? Will's not joking you know Wazzbacon...

Well it's a way off yet so limping round shops at this stage would be a bit pointless, just getting basic ideas and seeing what's out there atm.

Definitely want suspension, as I said, will be used for partial commute and cross country fun. Haven't ridden a fully hard bike since I was knee high.

Will

/bin/su
If you want decent front suspension for that price, you'll need to go second hand really.

I have ridden some fairly hardcore off-road stuff without suspension (or gears) and it was great fun. You feel like you are going much faster, though on the really bumpy stuff you can't really see a lot. The main enemy of rigid off-road is arm pump when you are braking, which a set of disc brakes will mitigate pretty well.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm not after anything brilliant. Just functional and capable of some fun. I'm not after something mental like you guys ride.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ah but after 12 months, when your bike starts falling to bits (they all do), you'll be back again, asking "what bike for £1500?"

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh well, thought it'd be useful to ask cycling people about my options but apparently everything I want it wrong, even though I'm the one who will be riding/using/paying for it.

Riiiiigggghhhhttt. Cheers Scouse for being the only one to actually you know, try and be helpful for what I want rather than telling me my criteria are wrong!

No wonder cyclists are often considered dicks :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well it's a bit like someone saying "can I buy a Porsche 928 for £5000 and run it on the cheap?" Yes, you can, but anyone who likes Porsches will tell you it's not a good idea.

We're just saying that if you only spend £350 on a new bike, there will be limitations as to its use.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yes and I know those limitations and are prepared to accept them, hence why it needs to be that price or lower.

Pretty sure I made my price limitations immediately clear to begin with. Don't see the issue here. I said I didn't want a great bike, just something capable. Not sure how that compares at all to your bullshit car analogy comparison you just invented there.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
When the cheap suspension fork fails (it will, trust me - the bushings and seals will go and it'll vibrate under braking like you wouldn't believe) and you realise you've got to spend £200 to replace it with something that works, perhaps then you'll understand.

I'm not sure why you're getting so angry. Some people here have been mucking around with bicycles all their lives and have learnt these lessons the expensive way.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Hi, my name is Tom.

Solna_Brick_wall_vilt_forband.jpg

DaGaffer

Tom said:
Well it's a bit like someone saying "can I buy a Porsche 928 for £5000 and run it on the cheap?" Yes, you can, but anyone who likes Porsches will tell you it's not a good idea.

We're just saying that if you only spend £350 on a new bike, there will be limitations as to its use.

Except your car analogy fails. Wazz says "I want a cheap car that can occasionally get a bit dirty", you should say "buy a Fiat Panda 4x4", but you're saying "ah, waste of time, you need a Range Rover" which isn't helpful.

TdC

Oh well, thought it'd be useful to ask cycling people about my options but apparently everything I want it wrong, even though I'm the one who will be riding/using/paying for it

actually, Wazz (and DaGaffer), iirc Wazzer was advised to look in the 2nd hand market for a (rigid) bike, because that could get him the best possible bang for his budget. you guys may not realize but we're really trying to save him money.

my personal thought was fuck the mtb: for that commute, get a folding bike. put it under your office desk. you're not going to ride off-road anyway. be happy guys, jeez.

DaGaffer

actually, Wazz (and DaGaffer), iirc Wazzer was advised to look in the 2nd hand market for a (rigid) bike, because that could get him the best possible bang for his budget. you guys may not realize but we're really trying to save him money.

my personal thought was fuck the mtb: for that commute, get a folding bike. put it under your office desk. you're not going to ride off-road anyway. be happy guys, jeez.

But its not what he wants. Stick to the brief. Personally I wouldn't buy a mountain bike either, but Wazz made a specific request. Its like every time someone on here asks about buying a small car and Bodhi piles in with "buy a BMW 328i". Usually people have kinda worked out the basics for themselves and they just want some advice to fill in the blanks.

Will

/bin/su
At that price, and given the fact your foot is fucked, I'd say wait until the sales after summer. You'll usually get about £70 off in this price range which will get you something a little better for the money.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Goes offroad, on road, gets me from place A to B, comfortable enough, get noticed in traffic as well as other bikers, lasts for 15 years + on every day use;

fillakr395jthreh.jpg

20 bucks.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's a girls bike.

I had one as my first bike until I wrecked the back peddle brake doing skids, think I was about 6 or 7, then I got a BMX.

Anyway, for Wazzerphuk - I have a Carrara something or other from Hallfords, does me OK for occasional use.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Goes offroad, on road, gets me from place A to B, comfortable enough, get noticed in traffic as well as other bikers, lasts for 15 years + on every day use;

fillakr395jthreh.jpg

20 bucks.

Off road he says. Pah :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No, it really is a girl's bike because of the lowered crossbar to help you get on off without disturbing your lady-clothes. Conclusion; Toht wears dresses.

DaGaffer

caLLous said:
No, it really is a girl's bike because of the lowered crossbar to help you get on off without disturbing your lady-clothes. Conclusion; Toht wears dresses.

This is known

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What's wrong with wearing dresses?

Oh and the 50s called, they want their sexism back ;)

DaGaffer

I have this vision now of a hairy metal fan tooling around Helsinki in leathers on a girls bike. Do you have the little tassles on the handlebars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom