FAO Scouse, Tom, other bike nuts

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
now then now then we're meant to be celebrating the joys of biking here!

re my helmet; anyone who's never smacked their noggin on the cold hard earth while doing some of the -admittedly- ridiculous stuff we do is a lucky bunny and should be happy (and never forget to put their helmets on, regardless).

Tom's vid shows me yet again that there are good odds that road cycling in the UK would kill me, as living in the NL simply has lead me to expect some...not a lot, but some...courtesy from cars. Also, your weather is just shite dudes, really!

in other happy news, the LBS told me that damage to the 29er I was riding is minimal and will be sorted to the tune of 50~100 euros, and the whole bike community here is hella supportive and want me back in the saddle so we can all go riding again. really warm and lovely people :)

Yea, I hate riding on the road, much prefer blasting round the woods like a twunt with a death wish, atleast I only hurt myself when it goes wrong and it isn't down to somebody else being a knob.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
now then now then we're meant to be celebrating the joys of biking here!

(and never forget to put their helmets on, regardless).
Helmets are the antithesis of the "joys of biking".

They ruin a lot of the enjoyment for me. In the same way as having to wear one horse-riding does.

I sweat from my head. A lot more than the "average" human. It's a genetic trait that runs in my family. Because of that when I have to wear anything that obstructs free airflow to my moist noggin I get hot, knackered, cranky and ill-tempered - and subsequently any "joy" I felt quickly disappears.

I fucking hate the things.

HOWEVER, I will be buying one for my trip to the lakes in 3 weeks. I'll be doing a lot of proper downhilling (apparently). But if I hate it I'll just stop downhilling and stick to cross-country instead.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom's vid shows me yet again that there are good odds that road cycling in the UK would kill me

Me too. I stay clear of them as much as possible.

I'm amazing, of course. It's just every other fucker :(

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Scouse, for proper downhill you want a full-face (same sorta helmet that moto-x rider wear) and some body armor....weaving in an out of tree's at 40mph is serious shit.

Also, as nice as your new bike is, it ain't up to proper downhill runs. You want 160mm travel front and rear MINIMUM

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
body armor
Pffffft :p

That's what "American Football" players wear when they should just be playing Rugby*.

*if Rugby wasn't for middle-class men who are in denial about their very homo-sexuality, whilst playing wank-sock and drinking too much (lager) to prove their "manliness" to chunky women (who look like men).

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Ok mate, you go ahead, when ya break all ya ribs from smashing into a tree at 30mph, you'll get no sympathy from me ;p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok mate, you go ahead, when ya break all ya ribs from smashing into a tree at 30mph, you'll get no sympathy from me ;p
You never landed on your head, I've never hit a tree ;)

Edit: Thinking about that... not sure if true...

Last edited:

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Also, Tom, if you question why I stated the fact I've not managed to land on my head, it was in response to you claiming every time you come off a normal bike you either land on ya shoulder or head.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I can only urge most strongly to wear a helmet, even if you don't like it. I have (or had, I should say) two of them. I also have different pairs of gloves, boots, and from my more crazy days I have leg guards (hard and soft), knee-, elbow- and arm guards.

The only thing -the ONLY thing- I have ever made use of to the point of destruction (twice now actually)...is a helmet. I love helmets, me :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not cycle to the same extent as any of you but when I do I get hurt. I have had 3 bad ones, the worst left me with a dislocated knee and part of my knee cap behind my knee. But all 3 times I have hit my head. I am never quick enough to get my hands up to break my fall so tend to land elbow > shoulder > head. I would never dream of commuting or doing crazy down hill shit without one. A sweaty head is preferable to a fractured skull.

TdC

what he said. also that knee thing sounds painful as fuck soze :( is it all healed up?

soze

I am a FH squatter
what he said. also that knee thing sounds painful as fuck soze :( is it all healed up?
Yeah sometimes the bit of bone at the back of my knee hurts but mainly it is fine. I was riding beside a cemetery fence and got my foot caught between the railing queue a very loud pop a twist a fall and a very hysterical random woman.

TdC

wow :( hysterical random woman ftw though :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, so you decided to be a dick cos I said I've been fortunate enough to not land on my head, righto tom. And getting in a pissy about "cyclists holding up traffic" in a 60 zone because you ain't gonna be doing anywhere near that? Rag week or something? When you can do 50mph on ya road bike/recumbent w/e, fine, sit in the middle of the road, until then, get over to the side. Wanna know something that mega pisses me off about roadies? The way they seem to think it's ok to ride side by side when there's 4 of em, on a 60 limit road doin 25mph.....tossers.

Welcome to my ignore list, population 1.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
To be fair, Tom always comes across as a really nice person, except when he's in full-on militant cyclist mode, which just makes everyone want to run him over with a truck. For karmic reasons.

soze

I am a FH squatter
To be fair, Tom always comes across as a really nice person, except when he's in full-on militant cyclist mode, which just makes everyone want to run him over with a truck. For karmic reasons.
I agree but more of a running cuddle into a bush that any sort of serious vehicular assault.

TdC

don't want to mess around with bushes too much...before you know it you'd disturb a lurking Wij, Trem or Wazz 0o

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Right then, let's get this back on track.

As mentioned before I'll be wanting a bike soon (or rather, when my foot ever heals).

It'll be used for: riding ~3 miles to tube station and back each day. Part of this route is off-road, part on-road. I'll also want to be able to cycle more bumpy terrain for funz....

MUSTS:
Be £350 or UNDER
Have unbuckleable wheels (back when I road they were all triangle shaped, no idea now)
Have quickshift gears or similar (I think that's what they were called, you know, the ones with a lever by fingers/thumbs for up and down)
NOT have quick-release wheels or other parts (if they still make the things)
Be pretty lightweight but very sturdy
Be a hardtail with some front travel
Have anything else I've missed but is important/essential

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I started writing a long post but to be honest, you're best off just buying a couple of magazines from WHSmiths and seeing what they say. There are a few half decent bikes in that price range.

My advice would be to make it simple and save money for a toolkit, lights, spare tube, water bottle, etc. You might also want to consider a pannier rack, so you don't ride to the station with a rucksack and therefore a slightly sweaty back.

By the way, not having quick release wheels means you'll need to carry larger tools with you. Otherwise you'll be walking the bike home with a flat tyre.

soze

I am a FH squatter
But if his station is anything like the ones round here anything quick release will be released so even if you have 3 locks you still end up having to assemble your bike again.

Will

/bin/su
I'd be tempted to not get front suspension. Firstly it'll be shit at that price. Secondly having no suspension will make the bike lighter.

My first bike was something very similar to this, but no gears isn't for everyone. I'd be tempted by this or this. I don't work for them. ;)

The main way around quick release wheels is to get a d-lock with a cable. Lock the D through your back wheel and frame, run the cable through your front wheel. Be prepared to spend a decent amount on a lock and don't clean the non-essential bits of your bike to make it look less nickable.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Front suspension is a must, especially offroad. Useful for going up sidewalks, etc. Even the cheapest front suspension features a lock mechanism for straight roads cycling. You wrists will thank you.

Can't imagine riding without it.

Helmet wise, it really depends if you're out for a stroll through the park or trying your hand at a bit of offroad / downhill. I find that recreational cycling doesn't really require one, unless you're TdC or Tom.

If you do this or this though, you'd be crazy not to use one.

LE: I'm the one wearing a helmet :)

This is my bike:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yvu0luVLXTI/TDbrB0KN8-I/AAAAAAAAAB8/Q4oiSrChG4M/s1600/708_un10 ht 500.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/337440_10150280214282353_1294429_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom