Eve Online

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Muahaha! I like this very much.

massively.com said:
EVE Online video and dev blog detail improvements coming with Retribution
by Shawn Schuster on Oct 10th 2012 5:15PMSci-fi, Video, EVE Online, Expansions, MMO industry, Sandbox0

In a new video released today by CCP, we're treated to a guided tour of the teams responsible for EVE Online's winter expansion: Retribution. CCP Ripley, the senior producer for release development, introduces us to each team responsible for the upcoming features, including improved visuals, five new ships, UI tweaks, and of course, the new bounty hunter system.

In addition, CCP has released a new dev blog by CCP karkur from Team Pony Express detailing a few of the upcoming user experience improvements coming with Retribution. One of these is a clearer indicator of who's dealing the most damage to your ship. CCP karkur points out that this is still in very early development, so things may change slightly between now and launch on December 4th.

Check out the complete dev blog for more information; the full video with CCP Ripley is after the jump

Tags: ccp, ccp-games, ccp-guard, ccp-karkur, ccp-ripley, eve, eve-online, internet-spaceships, retribution, sandbox, sci-fi, spreadsheets-online, team-pony-express, trailer, trailers, video, videos

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7FPA2Bh6g0g

Marc

FH is my second home
The EVE map is STILL on fire!

Test Alliance has parted ways from the CFC (Goons etc) to form their own coalition proper with Pandemic Legion called HBC. Test and Goons remain Blue, but all the other alliances involved in the coalitions are now neutral to each other, but they wont attack each others SoV.
Mittani once again proved he is the king of meta gaming by single handedly destroying the alliance between Black Legion and Northern Coalition who have now reset each other.
Every Single nul sec entity is at war, but I will stop short of calling it another "great war" as there are multiple fronts going on, not just one big war.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Mittani once again proved he is the king of meta gaming by single handedly destroying the alliance between Black Legion and Northern Coalition who have now reset each other.

Him, plus all his spies, plus his 5000+ people alliance, plus all the pet alliances/corps he has....

Not exactly single handed is it? :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
North is still a napfest I see, same as it has been always

Shame TEST and goons are too alike to reset eachother, that would be something well worth seeing

Marc

FH is my second home
Him, plus all his spies, plus his 5000+ people alliance, plus all the pet alliances/corps he has....

Not exactly single handed is it? :)

Had nothing to do with actual fighting, it was Meta Gaming and the only people "in on it" were Mittani, Endie and Shadoo but the 2 latter people didnt take part in it. Love him or hate him, he is the undoubted king of meta gaming.

Marc

FH is my second home
The EVE online community has now raised more than $110,000 for the family of goonswarm head of intelligence, Vile Rat who was murdered in Libya.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Had nothing to do with actual fighting, it was Meta Gaming and the only people "in on it" were Mittani, Endie and Shadoo but the 2 latter people didnt take part in it. Love him or hate him, he is the undoubted king of meta gaming.

Not convinced. Mittani may be an idiot but he's far from stupid. He's not about to let ANYONE know the extent of his influence on other alliances, least of all those that are enemies.

I'm absolutely certain that he did have help, he's just not stupid enough to let people know.

I mean, why show a weapon that hasn't been found and that can prove useful later?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
North is still a napfest I see, same as it has been always

Shame TEST and goons are too alike to reset eachother, that would be something well worth seeing

TEST has been toying with the idea. Mittani probably isn't quite as enthusiastic about it because he wants his wars predictably boring in his favor.

Marc

FH is my second home
Not convinced. Mittani may be an idiot but he's far from stupid. He's not about to let ANYONE know the extent of his influence on other alliances, least of all those that are enemies.

I'm absolutely certain that he did have help, he's just not stupid enough to let people know.

I mean, why show a weapon that hasn't been found and that can prove useful later?

It was all done by him alone and it had nothing to do with his influence over other alliances. It was all done via websites and news articles, but suffice to say, it worked!

Marc

FH is my second home
TEST has been toying with the idea. Mittani probably isn't quite as enthusiastic about it because he wants his wars predictably boring in his favor.

Actually, according to Jabberlon 5, it was Montolio who isnt up for it just yet, Mittani was more than up for it because he knows, the way to keep a coalition working, is to keep the grunts happy.

Test and Goons will, at some point reset each other, but, Sov will be out of bounds, it will just be for roaming fights and if SoV is threatened by a third party, they will both blue up again at the drop of a hat to help each other out.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Fights for luls are boring and meaningless, there has to be some stake in it. EVE is kinda uninteresting still these days with the megacoalitions

Poag

m00?
http://themittani.com/news/surprising-allies-super-brawl-1v-li2

SOLAR and BL got mostly whooped. NC. and co were going to lose the battle until the HBC capital drop came in.

Its probably just a temporary alliance, HBC love super capital kills, but it maybe the start of something more.

SOLAR n co maybe annoyed that BL didn't bring supers to the fight which may have tipped the balance. BL have a fairly good super capital setup.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Damnit. Retribution actually looks like an expansion worth while, if the bounty system really starts working.

I don't want to get back to EVE, but it sure is tempting.

Marc

FH is my second home
http://themittani.com/news/surprising-allies-super-brawl-1v-li2

SOLAR and BL got mostly whooped. NC. and co were going to lose the battle until the HBC capital drop came in.

Its probably just a temporary alliance, HBC love super capital kills, but it maybe the start of something more.

SOLAR n co maybe annoyed that BL didn't bring supers to the fight which may have tipped the balance. BL have a fairly good super capital setup.

NC. will join the HBC, guaranteed.

Dont think BL have a super cap set up anywhere near the level required in todays game.

Poag

m00?
Well they had a super fleet and they didn't field them. If they had done HBC may not have dropped in. Ifs buts and maybes....

I wouldn't say that NC. join HBC for sure. They may get standings but I'd doubt NC. would want to jump in with HBC, seeing as how close they are with CFC.
Although CFC and NC. have settled down for the moment. Its not entirely clear if CFC will continue onwards into Vale or not.

Going back into the mists of time. PL were well known for temporary blues to get supercap kills, if this becomes a trend then it maybe a sign for NC. joining HBC, but for the moment it may just be "Supers! KIIILLL" Not forgetting that SOLAR are -A- allies, and thus its more of a continuation of there own war against -A-.

But I can see the point of view that NC. may get in bed with HBC for the immediate future of the -A- war. Especially with CFC breathing down their necks in Vale...carving out some extra space might be handy....

Marc

FH is my second home
Trust me, BL's "supercap fleet" is next to nothing. They have a handful, if that. It was only early this year they had to borrow a titan for bridging purposes. I would go as far as saying every single alliance within the CFC has far more supercaps and titans than BL. But BL pride themselves on their sub cap prowess anyway.

CFC are going for Vale, they dropped SBU's yesterday

Poag

m00?
Was out last night so guessed i missed that! Moaarr Tech moons....moaaarrrr

I'd be surprised if HBC took NC. in while they were fighting CFC. I wont discount it as soemthing that may happen eventually. I just doubt HBC would want a second war on at the moment, even tho the SOCO war has been fairly blueball.

Marc

FH is my second home
HBC Wont take NC. while they are fighting CFC, but once Vale is cleared, HBC will give NC. a coach to sleep on as NC. were a part of the initial HBC when it first formed earlier this year (Test, NC. & PL originally formed it)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Sometimes I wish I could stick this game out! This is one of those times.
massively.com said:

Shortly after the Retribution expansion's deployment, a thread popped up on the EVE Online forums that proved to me that the expansion had been a massive success. In the thread titled So that's what victory in this game feels like, miner Tiberius StarGazer explained that he has always felt like he had no way to get back at people who wronged him. After losing millions of ISK in ships to pirate attacks, he was almost ready to give up on EVE. But when Retribution landed, he was able to sell his kill rights to the public so that every player vigilante who crossed his attacker's path could try to take him down without warning.

After just a few hours, Tiberius got a notification that put a smile on his face: He had his first taste of revenge. He'd dealt more damage back to his attacker by clicking a button than had ever been done to him, and the attacker wasn't happy about it. He threatened to find Tiberius and kill him again, and that simple miner's reply said all I needed to know about how successful Retribution has been:
"I have deep pockets. Every kill you make on me, I will add as a bounty on your corp; every kill right, I will sell. I can't fight you but others can and you will have to lose five times my loss for wronging me."Retribution has finally given industrialists a reliable way to get revenge and use their wealth as a weapon! In this week's EVE Evolved, I look at the PvP that's springing up in empire space, how the new flagging mechanics affect baiting, and what the ship revamp means for new players.

Empire PVP

Though revenge and consequences are the main parts of the expansion, at its heart Retribution is a total PvP revamp designed to get people fighting everywhere. Loot thieves used to be attackable only by the corporation or player they stole from, so players would steal ore from miners who couldn't defend themselves or use the system to trick people into attacking and getting themselves killed. Stealing now globally flags a player as a suspect, so anyone who happens to be in the area can jump in and attack.

Players have started using the suspect flag as a way to advertise their availability for PvP, deliberately flagging themselves and then flying around looking for a fight. An icon next to the person's name in the local channel shows that he's a suspect, so when you see it, you can start trying to track the person down before the flag wears off. This is leading to some random combats at stargates when flagged players take a chance and roam between systems looking for fights.

The baiting game

The global flag for stealing has made baiting people into fighting a lot more risky. If you enter a complex, mission or asteroid belt and steal someone's loot in the hopes that he'll fire back, you're making yourself vulnerable to everyone in the area and anyone who happens to come along in the next 15 minutes. This makes counter-baiting and public defense fleets possible for the first time because the ability to defend against thieves isn't just limited to your own corporation.

If someone is clearly baiting you, you can now get into a well-tanked ship with tackle gear and hold him in place for a few minutes while your backup arrives to turn his ship into molten poop. The new baiting game is all about setting up a careful trap and exercising patience. You can leave bait somewhere in a cargo container or ship wreck and sit cloaked next to it ready to pounce when anyone steals it. You could do this before Retribution, but only members of your corporation could attack the baited victim. Now you can bait with anyone you like, and even random passers-by can join in the attack.

Massive ship revamp

The new destroyers pack a serious punch for their cost and and give new players significantly more cost-effective ways to PvP, but the biggest part of the ship overhaul for me was the removal of cruiser tiers. Every single tech 1 cruiser is actually now viable in PvP! We still have two combat ships, an electronic warfare ship, and a logistics ship, but now they're all on par with regards to stats and can all be tanked enough to last in small-scale PvP. If you've always wanted to try out corporate warfare or faction warfare but don't have a lot of ISK to throw down on ships, now is most definitely your chance.

I've played with only a few of the updated cruisers, but already the difference I've seen is staggering. The Vexor used to play second-fiddle to the Thorax in raw damage, but it's turned into an absolute monster able to dish out over 750 DPS thanks to drone damage mods. The Omen can actually fit appropriately sized guns, the Caracal has the speed to be useful, and tech 1 logistics cruisers can set up capacitor chains just like their tech 2 counterparts. Cruisers are well and truly back in the game, and that means PvP has just become a whole lot more accessible to new players.

The Retribution expansion's PvP overhaul has been a long time coming, but I can honestly say it was worth the wait. To a player who just loves flying cheap cruisers, the ship revamp has been a god-send. The new suspect flag gives people a way to defend against thieves and lets you take part in all those little scuffles that spring up randomly throughout high security space. Stay tuned to EVE Evolved over the next few weeks as I test-drive the new ships, figure out how to fit the tech 1 cruisers now that their stats have changed, and try my hand at piracy and bounty hunting using the new mechanics.

The real magic of Retribution is in giving industrial players ways to get revenge on their attackers without ever firing a shot, a way to use ISK to pull some strings and punish anyone they want. With that in mind, I'd like to leave you with another quote from Tiberius StarGazer, a typical picked-on miner whose story is probably similar to a lot of ex-players:"I have not once, in all of my game time in EVE, felt like I had actually "won." I felt like the beaten-up bottom-of-the-pile peasant that gets kicked around all the time. I didn't make this kill, but it felt like I did and it felt good."
bdrain-biopic-02.jpg
Brendan "Nyphur" Drain is an early veteran of EVE Online and writer of the weekly EVE Evolved column here at Massively. The column covers anything and everything relating to EVE Online, from in-depth guides to speculative opinion pieces. If you have an idea for a column or guide, or you just want to message him, send an email to brendan@massively.com.

Tags: bait, baiting, balance, bounty-hunting, ccp, ccp-games, empire, eve, eve-evolved, eve-online, expansion, featured, gameplay, high-security, highsec, industrialist, miner, mining, overhaul, piracy, pirate, pvp, rebalancing, retribution, revenge, sandbox, sci-fi, ship, ship-rebalancing, ship-revamp, ship-revamps, ships, tiberius, tiberius-stargazer

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/09/eve-evolved-retribution-is-freaking-awesome/

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Good that the game has come back on track and gone away from the silly Walking in Stations concepts. Focus is back on starships again

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I don't understand what happened there
I watch a few of these vids 'cos people are like OMG WATCHTHISTHEYREMEGASICKATEVE, I watch it and realize I'm a starter geek :|

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Marc's video is about a bombing squad employing guerilla tactics. They fly a very specialized tech II ship called "Stealth Bomber", which can shoot cruise missiles even though it is esentially a light ship, and it can use cloaking.

In Marc's video, they are the purple dots "warping" in. They warp in, most of them select the same target, or have targets called before coming out of warp, they shoot causing huge burst damage and fly out before the bigger group of enemies has time to react.

That's basically the jist of it.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Lol at the idiot screaming in the video, ruined it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not watched it but was he angry and possibly Russian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom