Eve Online

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by svartalf, Aug 30, 2011.

1. svartalf

svartalf Can't get enough of FH

Since someone deleted most of the game-specific subforums a while back, I'm making this thread as a place to dump Eve related news. I'm also leaving it nice and generic because I don't care if it's used to chat about Eve Online, either.

Here is some stuff off massively.com

2. Marc

Marc FH is my second home

Nulsec is wank at the moment. Most of it is owned by the DRF/Raiden/NC/PL and you cant do jack due to the amount of supers/titans they can field. The only other powerbloc is the clusterfuck coalition consisting of goons/test/fcon/gents/lawn/razor and convicted, but I doubt we will attempt to take on the russians. Mitanni is too savvy for that

3. Ctuchik

Ctuchik FH is my second home

Even if the rest of the players banded together against the russians i doubt they would have enough resources and ISK to take them on... :)

RA can field so many supercaps and titans that almost none of the tactics against them works properly.

I wonder how many titans they actually have now, 100? 200? More?

4. Punishment

Punishment Part of the furniture

A series of bad decisions by CCP lost them my 2-3 subs

5. svartalf

This is fascinating. I always thought Eve's hardcore playerbase would be unwaveringly loyal, but to see them leaving is very surprising.

6. Ctuchik

It's the same as in any other MMO. Piss off people enough and even the most die hard fanboi gets enough, and CCP is really working hard on pissing people off at the moment. :)

7. rynnor

rynnor Rockhound Moderator

I think they killed their game by allowing the overpopulation of super-caps and Titans.

Bad design really as they could easily have made them require some limited number component - maybe make it survive and be always salvageable when such a ship is destroyed?

Relying on pure cost was always a bad idea as all mmo's are subject to inflation.

They could have slowed this down if they had tackled botting but I guess the extra subs were more persuasive.

In the end it was inevitable - maybe they should release super super caps then in a few years time super super super caps etc. :p

8. Ctuchik

They should have stuck with the simple solution of rotating the high value moons around the universe.

9. svartalf

I am no authority on this subject, but I'd have thought that titans would only be useful against other super-capital ships. That would make sense. If it were the case, then surely a large fleet of smaller ships would be the solution? I thought strategy was important.

10. Ctuchik

They more or less are now, but bring enough of them and it won't matter what they are meant to do.

11. Marc

Titans arent so much the problem. Its those fecking supercaps (motherships) and the amount of them that the DRF have.

12. Ctuchik

Well that to, but to say that "titans aren't so much a problem" isn't quite accurate either. :)

They aren't as big a problem as they used to be with the DD nerf, but they are still enough of a problem when there are enough of them.

And RA can bring a LOT of them if they so desire. I have a nagging feeling that what they have shown so far isn't much more then a demonstration of potential.

Which honestly is a bit scary.

13. svartalf

Here is Brendan Drain's latest piece on the proposed nulsec changes.

14. Ctuchik

Interesting stuff indeed, i'm especially looking forward to their bot and gatecamp solutions.

15. svartalf

Well, I think most people who tried it and quit were victims of gatecampers, but I think they've shot their bolt with those people. I can't see them re-trying Eve when there's more modern stuff around, unless they REALLY love

spreadsheets.

16. Ctuchik

Most people that tried and quit did so because there were so little safe high end pve.

All pve worth a damn is being done either in lowsec or in nulsec.

I really wished that they opened up a new server that focused more on pve then pvp, but if they did that their pvp server would be near deserted i guess.

17. old.Tohtori

old.Tohtori FH is my second home

I "quit"(do you really ever quit an MMO ;)) because it lacked the fluff, the RP in MMORPG if you will. Ambulation could've brought it, but that got turned to a bad place.

In essence, it was too much of a clinical game.

It's good as what it is, really good, but it severely needs meat on those hightech alloy bones.

18. Marc

Too right. Its all about risk/reward.

Why should a hi-sec carebear earn the same isk as me, when im in nul sec where its much more dangerous.

19. rynnor

rynnor Rockhound Moderator

Thats not really whats wrecking the game though - russians macro ratting in carriers are pulling in a lot more cash and bounties actually directly feed inflation by increasing the supply of isk in circulation.

20. svartalf

This looked interesting so I pulled it.

21. Ctuchik

TL;DR version?

22. Marc

CCP Fucked up the game with the release of Incarna.

Mittens, who is the CSM chair, has just pretty much declared war on CCP and all the main gaming sites have picked up on it.

Of course, all the hi-sec carebears are up in arms about it being for the benefit of goonswarm, but its not. Hes right. Whilst CCP are screwing us over with 1billion isk monocales, what actual content have we had since apocrpyha?

23. old.Tohtori

old.Tohtori FH is my second home

Problem with CSMs is that they think they're special, or have superpowers and don't act as voices for the community, often simply driving their own agenda.

BAsically bullsh*t politicians with an INTERNET background :p

24. Ctuchik

You got my interest up enough so i could read through most of it, and while i agree with what he's saying there's something about it that makes me really suspicious.

I can't put my finger on what it is but for some reason i just can't trust his intentions.

It doesn't have anything to do with him being in GS or that i dislike him personally, it's just....... Something about that "press release" just gets my red light to blink furiously....

25. Marc

Its not though. The playerbase as a whole are furious at the lack of content for FiS (flying in space). Its only the carebears who are quite happy plodding along doing their level 4 missions that dont care. Pretty much all of nulsec are in agreement with what mittens is saying.

26. Ctuchik

And i agree with him to.

It's just...... Something about it feels odd....

*shrug* maybe it's just me.

27. Marc

Whilst ingame politics with regards nulsec can be quite aggressive between the big players like Mittens, Shadoo, Elise, Pripyat etc, when it comes to the actual game, they are all pretty friendly and mittens has consulted with the other big players and are all in agreement, even the russians. Mittens is using his seat as CSM chair to convey the feelings of an upset player base.

The only thing that is a bit odd is Mittens stance on the supercap nerf which CCP are going along with. This suits the clusterfuck coalition to a tee, whilst it damages the russian coalition and the elite PvP coalition a hell of a lot. People are accusing mittens of running with this because it benefits his coalition the most. But that said, its plain to see that supercaps need a nerf

28. SilverHood

SilverHood Part of the furniture

As a CFC member, bring on the super nerf! Having been on the receiving end of 200 super carriers and 50 titans, plus another 100 or so carriers and dreads.... not fun. I imagine being on the receiving end of 700 Maelstroms isn't fun either, but at least you have a realistic chance of killing those.

Hopefully the supercap nerf will remove the need for the massive block politics that's polarising eve and the game will open up some more, though I still think that Eve needs another 10-15 regions the size and shape of Stain.

29. Marc

Oh I agree dude, Im CFC myself.

30. Ctuchik

Forgot to mention one thing about the graph.

It's only -6000:ish players over 8 months, and he's talking about it like it's judgement day...

Yes it's a decline in logged in players, but he's not giving anything to compare with, such as previous years stats.

So for all i know this could be perfectly normal and he's just trying to scare people with incomplete data.

So now i'm even more distrustful as that's plain and simple scaremongering tactics there..

Oh and EvE still has over 350.000 active subscriptions. It dipped somewhat around new year 2010 to 2011 but picked right back up again.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png