elkie scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
You can still trace the routes of emails until they get to their destination.

Regardless of if the e-mail client is web based or on the desktop itself.

Knowing both his and the GOA servers IP allows you to pretty much stand right smack in the middle of traffic and look at every single packet.

Just monitor for information sent out from the source IP and look at it.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma said:

Knowing both his and the GOA servers IP allows you to pretty much stand right smack in the middle of traffic and look at every single packet.

Not possible over the internet unless your on the same local lan as the client or destination server (or if you're clever the same ISP)

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for help im just waiting for goa now:) hopefully they will be kind and understanding as non of this is my fault and i could not do netn about it. I asked req if he could give me a phone number for goa so i can ring and clerfiy that i have my cd keys from irl box sets and also the credit card orginally used.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
As far as I know it is possible depending on which way the server authenticates users as far as I know.

Was a few bugs in 3-way handshakes and CHAP auth which allowed you to insert yourself between the traffic and monitor traffic coming and going.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - Hacker friends have warned me about the weaknesses of MSN messenger for a couple of years - never add anyone you dont trust 100% or your f*cked basically - its embarassingly easy to load up viruses / trojans / keysniffers etc onto anyone whose on your 'buddy' list - thats why it doesnt matter that your account details arent on the msn account - the msn just provides direct access to attack your pc.

I feel very sorry for you and hope GOA can ride to the rescue but at least your story may stop other people adding this person to their buddy list.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
rynnor said:
I feel very sorry for you and hope GOA can ride to the rescue but at least your story may stop other people adding th
is person to their buddy list.
well thats my aim no1 else deservers this im just hopeing goa will help:)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Mate I hope to hell you get that account back. Having played in the same guild with elkie I know he is the last person to give out passes even when everyone else is :) Good luck and hope that mofo who has your account gets ass rapped by four she males.

Everz

FH is my second home
Elkie said:
hes 24/7 spamming it on irc we have his ip adress and are sending it to goa hes on bt internet so its british

gimmli ;o

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
if you have his IP address BT do Static IP address which means you can trace it back to source which wont give his account but you could always do things :p like force him to ld off the account then you log in once your in you can stay on until a GM can sort out the situation.

There are ways to sort him out.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
if you have his IP address BT do Static IP address which means you can trace it back to source which wont give his account but you could always do things :p like force him to ld off the account then you log in once your in you can stay on until a GM can sort out the situation.

There are ways to sort him out.

please, tell me more :D like can i find out his house address? :p

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
afaik this kind of acting is criminal and can be taken to court. not sure tho...

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Demon2k3 said:
afaik this kind of acting is criminal and can be taken to court. not sure tho...
That might be true, dunno, but we still live in a society where the cops just laugh at ye and shoo ye away if you say that someone stole your digital sword and xx platinum pieces :/

lilmissnaughty

Fledgling Freddie
dont need a court...
just need an address.
im sure if we have a bit of a whip round an we all donate at least one skinhead with a baseball bat we just gotta hire a van an problem solved.;)

Himse

FH is my second home
GL Elkie mate, just big fingers crossed you will get your account back. Its good to know you got all the original CD keys etc, CC you used etc.

Good Luck mate.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Marc said:
and thats how you know the dude who scammed you is talking horseshit. No one would pay £250 for a daoc account these days.

Hope you get it sorted mate

i sold my reaver for £250 just a few weeks ago..

rynnor

Rockhound
Demon2k3 said:

He has no doubt broken the Computer Misuse Act and is thus liable in criminal law which can lead to the police impounding all his PC's and can get him banned from using the net by court order - the laws quite harsh in the UK on this stuff.

Edit - not to mention imprisonment and unlimited fines - unlikely but possible...

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Elitestoner said:
i sold my reaver for £250 just a few weeks ago..

well id never do that ive payed well more than £250 quid for this game over years as said above i would rather delete my chars than ebay them or sell em, let alone some1 ruin em

MaCaBr3

Banned
Sharma said:

That's just allot of big talk without any actually knowledge of the subject. First of all, monitoring traffic doesn't give you access to someones email. A packet sniffers tell you what port, what bandwith and protocol is beeing used between 2 hosts. Allot of information, but it works on on level 4 of this OSI layer were E-mail software is layer 7.

Second: people watch to much movies, you can't just intercept and read an email without having total control over the remote computer or even worse the ISP mail server. If it were so simple - like you elabarotely discribed - why bother with a stupid game password, I would have control over Elkie's personal emails etc etc.

The person who "hacked" Elkie probably found a very stupid but effective way to get his password, but is has nothing to do with intercepting or reading email whatever.

MaCaBr3

Banned
Aeris said:
please, tell me more :D like can i find out his house address? :p

The most information you can get as an outsider, is what provider he uses, that's about it. Everything else is in BT's hand. If you have the timestamp of the ip address, people at BT can check their authentication server and check which subscriber or usename (ADSL) or MAC address (cable) was assigned for that specific IP address in an specific window.

But that's all BT's work and they don't give out the information that easely without taking any legal actions themself.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
We shall see 2moz meights, thanks for alot of support hopefully goa will pick up on it have alot of evidence and people backing me up

MaCaBr3

Banned
Sharma said:
As far as I know it is possible depending on which way the server authenticates users as far as I know.

Was a few bugs in 3-way handshakes and CHAP auth which allowed you to insert yourself between the traffic and monitor traffic coming and going.

You have no id what ur talking about.

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
MaCaBr3 said:
- Post by MaCaBr3 above #110 -

Not quite. But lets not elaborate this.

Sorry to hear about your problems, and hope you get your acc back intact.

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
I'll bet money elkie was shring his pwd around like a lot of you do. This is an example of why not to do that.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Mirt said:
I'll bet money elkie was shring his pwd around like a lot of you do. This is an example of why not to do that.

Hi, read the thread. :p

Keeps passwords in wallet.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
MaCaBr3 said:
That's just allot of big talk without any actually knowledge of the subject. First of all, monitoring traffic doesn't give you access to someones email.

You mis-read. Was saying that you can get access to someones email by monitoring traffic.

MaCaBr3 said:
A packet sniffers tell you what port, what bandwith and protocol is beeing used between 2 hosts. Allot of information, but it works on on level 4 of this OSI layer were E-mail software is layer 7.

I'm fairly sure you can monitor packets being sent from source to destination. We had to do it as an exercise on my Security+ course, was rather fun, although the packets were plain text as opposed to encrypted which i'd imagine that the daoc client uses.

MaCaBr3 said:
Second: people watch to much movies, you can't just intercept and read an email without having total control over the remote computer or even worse the ISP mail server. If it were so simple - like you elabarotely discribed - why bother with a stupid game password, I would have control over Elkie's personal emails etc etc.

Once again, the email bit was mis-read.

I was saying nothing about hacking an e-mail account since I was taking the fact that Elkie doesnt have his passwords on his computer into account.

See above.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Elkie said:
well id never do that ive payed well more than £250 quid for this game over years as said above i would rather delete my chars than ebay them or sell em, let alone some1 ruin em

each to his own :)

250 quid = me sorted for download, without selling my reaver would have been pretty hungry thruout that festival :p

oh, and hope your account comes back to you ok :(

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
Tried to edit last post but time limit.

Anyway, regardless of how your account become compromised, I hope GoA can help you - but you should think about what you're gonna do if they can't or won't. Perhaps you should show that boxing teacher of yours that he was wrong etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom