Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its not a problem.

Just dont call half the country brain dead idiots.

Job

Tbh the Labour party is dead, whatever resurects from this mess isnt going to be a labour party.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh well, so much for "unleashing Britain's potential" and "record levels of funding".

Johnson and Javid order budget cuts of at least 5%

Boris Johnson has ordered all cabinet ministers to identify cuts of at least 5 per cent to their Whitehall department budgets, telling them to consider axing programmes that do not improve health, fight crime or tackle regional inequalities.

A letter jointly signed by the prime minister and chancellor Sajid Javid tells ministers that budgets remain extremely tight, even after a decade of austerity in public services.

Cabinet ministers have been told to identify possible cuts of at least 5 per cent in their day-to-day current budgets and to name 10 projects that could be scrapped in this autumn’s comprehensive spending review led by the Treasury.

Ministers will have to go through every line of departmental budgets assessing value for money, while programmes that do not relate to the government’s priorities — funding the National Health Service, tackling crime or “levelling up” underperforming regions — should be considered for the chop.

In the letter sent to ministers on Wedneday, first published in The Sun, Mr Johnson and Mr Javid said: “We have been elected with a clear fiscal mandate to keep control of day-to-day spending. This means there will need to be savings made across government to free up money to invest in our priorities.” Ministers were invited to submit “radical options” for saving money.

Forceful letters from the centre of government to spending ministries ahead of comprehensive spending reviews are a regular feature of Whitehall life and often elicit proposed cuts so politically explosive that they are never implemented.

The Treasury’s public spending team is expected to have bruising conversations across Whitehall in the coming months. Mr Javid already has a long list of spending priorities, ranging from social care to further education colleges.

The letter by Mr Johnson and Mr Javid highlights the fact that despite ministerial talk of a rapid increase in capital spending on infrastructure — funded by borrowing — the pressure is on the current budget.

The Conservative manifesto said the government thought it had only £5bn of headroom against its new fiscal rule to balance the current budget by 2022-23. Mr Javid would be loathed to be seen to be on course to miss his new rule so soon after setting it.

The public finances this year are in a healthy state and on course to show a smaller deficit than restated forecasts from the Office for Budget Responsibility, giving a bit of extra wiggle room for Mr Javid as he prepares for his March Budget.

But the UK fiscal watchdog will be under pressure to lower future forecasts for economic performance to take account of a relatively “hard” Brexit in the shape of a Canada-style free trade agreement between Britain and the EU.

Job

Perfectly reasonable...rarher widespread list of ring fenced projects

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I thought austerity was over.
Thats not really austerity. Its seeing if bureaucrats can be more efficient. Its not hitting councils and stuff. Making government and civil servants in Whitehall less expensive is a good thing to me. Reassessing projects and making sure they are worth the money is something that should be done periodically.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Thats not really austerity. Its seeing if bureaucrats can be more efficient. Its not hitting councils and stuff. Making government and civil servants in Whitehall less expensive is a good thing to me. Reassessing projects and making sure they are worth the money is something that should be done periodically.
It has been done all the time for 10 years. They aren't looking at waste to see if the money could be better spent on other projects in the same department. They want a 5% cut in budgets.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Seeing if they "can be more efficient" after 10 years of relentlessly forcing them to be more efficient by shrinking their budgets.

Job

Its just normal...bit obviously its going to make the news

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Of course it’s austerity. If it wasn’t they would have positioned it as repurposing the same overall budget on the three key targets, but instead they’re still having an overall budget cut. And of course they are because the economy is going to shrink when they still don’t have a signed trade deal in ten months.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Of course it’s austerity. If it wasn’t they would have positioned it as repurposing the same overall budget on the three key targets, but instead they’re still having an overall budget cut. And of course they are because the economy is going to shrink when they still don’t have a signed trade deal in ten months.
There's still time for the 40 trade deals Liam Fox promised us by Brexit day. There's literally hours to go.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Javid resigning is perhaps the most surprising news in this reshuffle.

Edit - Actually scratch that... Liz Truss survived.

Job

His replacement is the most token minority in history.

From frickin nowhere to minister overnight.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A "token minority" replacing another "token minority" while there are 3 or 4 other "token minorities" already in the cabinet? The new guy is nothing more than a yes man for Cummings, it's got nothing to do with his ethnicity.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Im Surprised the chancellor resigns a week or so before the budget.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Im Surprised the chancellor resigns a week or so before the budget.
He was asked by Cummings er I mean Johnson to sack all of his advisers and accept that there'd be a merger between the teams from Number 10 and 11. He said no and resigned. A uncharacteristically honourable move from yet another cabinet scumbag.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
MNJNAV7.jpg

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
;)

Attachments

• 5BABBF47-DBAD-4B43-9BF8-3445891A3BCF.png
    5BABBF47-DBAD-4B43-9BF8-3445891A3BCF.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread