Desktop Upgrade Advice

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I have a Dell Dimension 9150. The specs are:
CPU: DualCore Intel Pentium D 930, 3GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR SDRAM (2x 1 GB sticks)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 512MB RAM.
Storage: 2x 250GB Harddrives.
A bunch of other specs can be found here. My monitors max resolution is 1280 x 1024.

I just use this computer for gaming which I find I have less and less time for. I use my Mac or log in remotely for my work. I am trying to figure out if there are some cheap upgrades that could be done that would extended the gaming life of the machine. (I play daoc and civ 4 but got dragon age online for christmas) My initial thoughts would be that the graphics card should be replaced and I was thinking of getting something like a ATI HD 4650. Also if I was to get a new graphics card would it be sensible to try second hand? I have also read some conflicting advice about the power supply, its only a 375 Watt but it seems that it has the correct power connectors for the high end graphics cards and I have found reports of other people who have not had problems with installing them.

Any suggestions? Cost is important as I am trying to save money because I am getting married next year.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Going to be a toughy. Modern graphics cards are rather hungry on power, and even though you may have the right connectors, doesn't mean they can provide enough juice. I'd probably suggest looking at an ATI 5xxx series (5750 for a budget) as they use a lot less juice than the 4 series did, as well as being much quicker.

Also you might not be able to replace that psu so easily - not entirely sure they're standard :/

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Words of warning from me also - I had a Dell and the PSU had what looked like a standard ATX mobo power connector, but in fact it wasn't - the whole PSU and mobo were bespoke to Dell to ensure any upgrades were bought through them.

I did manage to swap gfx cards a few times without issues, but if you are going to need more power to drive it you would be wise to check out the PSU issue first.

Sorry to bring bad tidings - this was the thing that made me swear to never buy a Dell desktop again, although I do buy laptops from them.

EDIT: Quick google for 'dell non-standard psu' shows this:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom