Future proof upgrade

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I dunno, what's your use case outside of gaming?
Meh. Need a PC. I game, and when I'm not gaming I'll run a miner so it'll at least recoup some of its costs.

Plus, if I spend over 2k I can claim the VAT back :)

Edit: Got a couple of 2Tb SATA drives that I'd port over and use the 6Tb drive just to host the video library (PLEX). Backups of important stuff happen automatically to cloud so I wouldn't bother with RAID I don't think. Got a 256Gb SSD I'd also port over to run VM's on. The rest of my shite would go in the bin (or into my mum's PC) most likely.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I mean you know that's massive overkill right? :D

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Meh. Need a PC. I game, and when I'm not gaming I'll run a miner so it'll at least recoup some of its costs.

Plus, if I spend over 2k I can claim the VAT back :)

Edit: Got a couple of 2Tb SATA drives that I'd port over and use the 6Tb drive just to host the video library (PLEX). Backups of important stuff happen automatically to cloud so I wouldn't bother with RAID I don't think. Got a 256Gb SSD I'd also port over to run VM's on. The rest of my shite would go in the bin (or into my mum's PC) most likely.

How do you actually mine? I've literally never looked into it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I mean you know that's massive overkill right? :D
Yep, but future-proof, right? In seven years time it'll be run of the mill and have effectively cost me £300ish/ year - plus I don't have to pay income tax, employers ni, employees ni or vat on that money, but if I paid it out in salary I do...

May wait for the new nvidia 2080's tho.

@BloodOmen - Google is your friend m8. I cba typing pages of stuff that others already have.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Why an HDD? Spend it on more SSD or 32GB RAM.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why an HDD? Spend it on more SSD or 32GB RAM.
Plex.

Can't see any situation, ever, where I'd use more than 16Gb RAM either. And 1Tb of m.2 is plenty of fast access storage.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yep, but future-proof, right? In seven years time it'll be run of the mill and have effectively cost me £300ish/ year - plus I don't have to pay income tax, employers ni, employees ni or vat on that money, but if I paid it out in salary I do...

May wait for the new nvidia 2080's tho.

@BloodOmen - Google is your friend m8. I cba typing pages of stuff that others already have.
You can put a 1080Ti down as business computing expenses? What are you contracting at? I hesitated about putting a GSync monitor on my business.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Plex.

Can't see any situation, ever, where I'd use more than 16Gb RAM either. And 1Tb of m.2 is plenty of fast access storage.
You realise you can stream pr0n now?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You can put a 1080Ti down as business computing expenses? What are you contracting at? I hesitated about putting a GSync monitor on my business.
Yep, why not? You can put "computer" down as business expense - who the fuck is HMRC to tell you what specification of computer you can put through? If I spent 3k on a laptop then they wouldn't blink. Why would 2k on components make them blink?

Had confirmation off my accountant that my 12 x 1070 CUDA rigs are an allowable business expense (though not VAT redeemable) and that if I wanted to build a computer at 2k then that's fine and VAT redeemable.

You need to talk to your accountant m8. :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yep, why not? You can put "computer" down as business expense - who the fuck is HMRC to tell you what specification of computer you can put through? If I spent 3k on a laptop then they wouldn't blink. Why would 2k on components make them blink?

Had confirmation off my accountant that my 12 x 1070 CUDA rigs are an allowable business expense (though not VAT redeemable) and that if I wanted to build a computer at 2k then that's fine and VAT redeemable.

You need to talk to your accountant m8. :)
But you don't run your mining through the business do you? How is that allowable?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But you don't run your mining through the business do you? How is that allowable?
HMRC treat bitcoin as currency trading (so I'll be purchasing one at some point with company money) - the taxable position on currency trading is that you pay 10% on profits, get 10% relief on losses.

The mining rig is depositing coins into the official company crypto trading account. Completely traceable audit trail. Aside from that - it's not the only reason I bought it (though it was a biggie - if it wasn't going to pay for itself then I wouldn't have bought it) - but I'm interested in grid computing and CUDA solutions are a cost effective way of getting a handle on that tech. Am setting up the whole kit and caboodle - mining just happens to be a nice sideline. Can't be PMing & architecting for the rest of my life, it bores the living shit out of me, so I'm learning stuff again. Relevant to my current position as banks use grid stuff for datamining, analytics and computational finance and the likes, but it's more interesting than that. Someone has to know how it all works tho, right? :)

Edit: Here's how mining's treated for companies @Wij.

Last edited:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
HMRC treat bitcoin as currency trading (so I'll be purchasing one at some point with company money) - the taxable position on currency trading is that you pay 10% on profits, get 10% relief on losses.

The mining rig is depositing coins into the official company crypto trading account. Completely traceable audit trail. Aside from that - it's not the only reason I bought it (though it was a biggie - if it wasn't going to pay for itself then I wouldn't have bought it) - but I'm interested in grid computing and CUDA solutions are a cost effective way of getting a handle on that tech. Am setting up the whole kit and caboodle - mining just happens to be a nice sideline. Can't be PMing & architecting for the rest of my life, it bores the living shit out of me, so I'm learning stuff again. Relevant to my current position as banks use grid stuff for datamining, analytics and computational finance and the likes, but it's more interesting than that. Someone has to know how it all works tho, right? :)
Ah OK. Interesting.

When I give up contract architecture though I hope to retire to my sofa, not do techy stuff. Drink beer in my pants until death takes me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ah OK. Interesting.

When I give up contract architecture though I hope to retire to my sofa, not do techy stuff. Drink beer in my pants until death takes me.
Jump on the bandwagon. You've probably got some excess profit that you can afford to lose without feeling it. You may just strike it rich, or just break even. But the ride'll be interesting.

Plus, it's a way to heat your house for free. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's always been my dream :(
It's a good dream m8.

If crypto hits the big time then your dream could happen a decade earlier :)

Edit: Plus, don't you want to fall asleep in your pants in a warm house?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's a good dream m8.

If crypto hits the big time then your dream could happen a decade earlier :)

Edit: Plus, don't you want to fall asleep in your pants in a warm house?
Everywhere is warm on Special Brew.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Everywhere is warm on Special Brew.
If that's the case you could live your dream today! - Just become a tramp!

Sit in your pants, drink special brew (in a warm place), fall asleep at 11:30am and wait until you die. :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
After the kids have left home. I'm a responsible father!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd rather spunk on a 34/35" ultrawide to be honest, 3400x1440 @ 100hz, or 2560x1080@144hz options are out there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd rather spunk on a 34/35" ultrawide to be honest, 3400x1440 @ 100hz, or 2560x1080@144hz options are out there.
I'd hate having such a small screen, regardless of resolution.

I'm sat on my settee, feet up on a coffee table, 42" telly about 5 feet from me. Perfectly fine for spreadsheets, gaming, browsing yadda yadda yadda.

If I was going to upgrade the display it'd be a 4k 120hz 50-incher telly. Meh to everything else.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
£770 1080Ti to output to a 1080p 60Hz TV. Seems a waste for gaming, even with the nod to "future proofing".
GSync / Freesync screens are where it's at for gaming these days.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
£770 1080Ti to output to a 1080p 60Hz TV. Seems a waste for gaming, even with the nod to "future proofing".
Agree, it's total overkill. But a gfx card that'll pay for itself in 12 months when I'm not using it for gaming is basically free.

GSync / Freesync screens are where it's at for gaming these days.
Not if I have to sit a fekking disk it's not. Screw that.

Like I said, I might get a 4k 120hz telly at some point. Maybe. But I think that's overkill tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom