A quick reminder to Freddys - Perfect time to build a new rig or just get some minor upgrades

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
GPU prices are almost at pre-crypto levels and cpu, storage (including nvme) are quite low atm. Ram is also at a good price atm - Never been a more perfect time to take advantage of it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If you're looking at higher end CPU/GPU like the 7000 series AMD CPUs or 7000 series and GPU - I would highly recommend checking Youtube for reviews first, some of them did not get favourable reviews... to the point where the 5000 series CPUs are still (to most) more worthwhile. Same with the higher end Intel stuff - Always check reputable reviews first, I would highly recommend checking the following for reviews

Two SOLID reviewers, they do not hide flaws and do not try to sell you shite, to the point where Jaytwocentz recently "fired" ASUS because of their shit motherboards (he dropped their sponsorship as he didn't feel it was right him pushing their shit onto people)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
To do one further (feel free to chime in and correct/add/improve)

Part List - AMD Ryzen 5 4500, Radeon RX 6600, Antec Dark Phantom DP301M MicroATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker - Low end PC to get people started - no monitor, OS or peripherals

Part List - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Radeon RX 6700 XT, Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker - Mid end PC same as above

it's still expensive all parts taken into account, but nowhere near what it was during the height of crypto.

Estimates for a high-end PC would be £1300 ish, which would probably future-proof it for you for a good 8-10 years.

Embattle

FH is my second home
No need for any more upgrades here, in fact there is limited ability for any.

I know the GFX Card I have is about £50 cheaper than it was when I got it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Pondering on a CPU upgrade myself, I use an MSI MAG BB550 Tomahawk, which supports up to 5800x CPU I think, I'm using a 3600XT still, the rest of my computer is good enough for a while yet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
After reading this this morning I've been thinking about 4070 ti's. :eek:

But it's still summer and I've loads to be spending my cash on other than GFX cards, so I've managed to talk myself out of it :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
After reading this this morning I've been thinking about 4070 ti's. :eek:

But it's still summer and I've loads to be spending my cash on other than GFX cards, so I've managed to talk myself out of it :)

You could, I think I'd still go for the 6950 XT over a 4070 Ti though, the 4070 is better but it's much more expensive. You can pickup a 6950 XT for £600, the cheapest 4070 Ti I could find was £764. On paper, the 4070 is quicker but for the sake of future-proofing, the 6950 XT does have 16gig memory to the 4070's 12gig.

My opinion is quite biased atm though :p I turned away from Intel and Nvidia years back and haven't looked back since.

Breakdown below but before that, the ARC cards aren't too bad either, I'll include one of those in with the mix for the sake of comparison for people on a real budget (and yes, the ARC cards stats are laughable in comparison... they hold up for 1080p though)

Breakdown of it here anyway

1689640973053.png

With ARC 770 included (super budget card, possibly the new RX 580 of the generation)

1689641311027.png

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Video comparison of the Arc 770 Vs RTX 4070 (NOT the Ti version, shows that the Arc is a tidy little budget card though and really holds its own for its price point - Arc 770 is currently £269.99 on Overclockers.co.uk) - puts out some impressive average FPS for such a low-end card.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1HsrUOCscQ

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Reason I was thinking 4070ti was the ray tracing chops.

But as it is - my 1080ti might be showing it's age but I played cyberpunk on it in 4k, so I can make do. :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Pondering on a CPU upgrade myself, I use an MSI MAG BB550 Tomahawk, which supports up to 5800x CPU I think, I'm using a 3600XT still, the rest of my computer is good enough for a while yet.

As usual because of Intel's habit of keeping sockets for a short while I topped it out with a 13900k, no more upgrades on that area and I've little intention of upgrading the motherboard again.

Reason I was thinking 4070ti was the ray tracing chops.

But as it is - my 1080ti might be showing it's age but I played cyberpunk on it in 4k, so I can make do. :)

I went from a 1070 to a Asus 4080, sent that back as it was prone to excessive coil whine and considered the importance of RT and if I would give ATI/AMD another chance in terms of reliability. In the end I decided to give them a chance again and spent a little bit over the normal to get a:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom