DAoC vs WoW

When WoW is released in the EU i'm going to...

• Move from DAoC to WoW

Votes: 489 30.4%
  • Stick with DAoC

Votes: 632 39.2%
  • Give WoW a try but I may well come back to DAoC

Votes: 403 25.0%
  • Split my time between both!

Votes: 87 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
Oro said:
One thing that Bliz have done is to basically outlaw buffbots. If anyone is caught botting, they'll be warned and may face having account(s) banned. I thoroughly approve of this and in its own way its a *major* smack in the mouth to Mythic's lazy and greedy policy on this.

Bots in a macro sense have a harsh stance, not buffbots I would imagine :p. Game design itself has prevented buffs impacting as much etc.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Yussef said:
Bots in a macro sense have a harsh stance, not buffbots I would imagine :p. Game design itself has prevented buffs impacting as much etc.

You might be right, but I was told bots full stop. Agreed though, its been made close to useless to have a second account but some people will still try for that extra bit of advantage through any means possible, whether its 'gamesmanship' or additional accounts.

Lythande

Fledgling Freddie
TOA killed the fun, NF sealed the coffin. Off to WoW the minute final beta starts where I actually have FUN playing.

Dood

Fledgling Freddie
WoW is the future. Maybe not so good RvR features yet, but by the time we get some lvl 60 toons and have learned the game, good RvR will be implemented.

Daoc is old and fecked up.. what more can I say..

I will donate all my plats on Alb/Excal before I leave (135 atm) so the few ppl left can buy some leet itamz and go /flex in empty NF

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i would say this to people leaving daoc. Just stick your chars into mothballs dont do silly things like /delete or give away all your loot you can always come and do that laters :)

Your jumping ship to WOW based on its RVR system which hasnt been implemented it sounds like a really really really bad move to start deleting toons that you may find in 6months time when rvr isnt implemented in wow you would still like to play.

By all means go have fun on the servers but dont be too hastey to ditch your chars in dark age.

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
Dood said:
WoW is the future. Maybe not so good RvR features yet, but by the time we get some lvl 60 toons and have learned the game, good RvR will be implemented.

Daoc is old and fecked up.. what more can I say..

I will donate all my plats on Alb/Excal before I leave (135 atm) so the few ppl left can buy some leet itamz and go /flex in empty NF

You really think they will have good rvr implemented in 1-2 months from now? Probably the first lvl 60's will be there in a couple of weeks in us servers, and there will be alot of 60s on the servers on eurorelease, if you are able to play on the us servers that is :)

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Oro said:
You might be right, but I was told bots full stop. Agreed though, its been made close to useless to have a second account but some people will still try for that extra bit of advantage through any means possible, whether its 'gamesmanship' or additional accounts.

In most other MMOGs "buffbots" don't exist as such but plenty of people two box characters (play more than one account at the same time from the same location). This can be as simple as buffing and downtime healing a melee class so it can solo faster all the way up to a proper hydra setup where you are actually playing multiple characters in a group at the same time. You are absolutely allowed to do this in WoW and it is something I intend to do eventually. Given that you can solo quite well as any class in WoW it isn't required for advancement without a group but it certainly gives you a big advantage in terms of levelling speed and the quests that you can do.

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
In most other MMOGs "buffbots" don't exist as such but plenty of people two box characters (play more than one account at the same time from the same location). This can be as simple as buffing and downtime healing a melee class so it can solo faster all the way up to a proper hydra setup where you are actually playing multiple characters in a group at the same time. You are absolutely allowed to do this in WoW and it is something I intend to do eventually. Given that you can solo quite well as any class in WoW it isn't required for advancement without a group but it certainly gives you a big advantage in terms of levelling speed and the quests that you can do.

I don't see this catching on at all tbh. I cannot understand how you can play 2 characters actively and do it well. Take a rogue+cleric combo, for example. I fail to see how anyone (non-superhuman) could play a rogue and a cleric simultaneously and do each class justice. This isn't like daoc where you can just spam 1 or 2 styles/spells.

Buffbots are useless in WoW, guardbots aren't really doable, tauntbots etc.. arent really possible given the way WoW handles aggro. So I don't see 2 boxers getting any advantage whatsoever over someone who is playing 1 character to the best of his/her ability. In fact, I think they'll be slower. But hey, it could just be because I couldn't do it, and thats not say that noone can.

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
Chesnox said:
I don't see this catching on at all tbh. I cannot understand how you can play 2 characters actively and do it well. Take a rogue+cleric combo, for example. I fail to see how anyone (non-superhuman) could play a rogue and a cleric simultaneously and do each class justice. This isn't like daoc where you can just spam 1 or 2 styles/spells.

Buffbots are useless in WoW, guardbots aren't really doable, tauntbots etc.. arent really possible given the way WoW handles aggro. So I don't see 2 boxers getting any advantage whatsoever over someone who is playing 1 character to the best of his/her ability. In fact, I think they'll be slower. But hey, it could just be because I couldn't do it, and thats not say that noone can.

Since it takes like no skill whatsoever to exp in wow, I dont see why you shouldnt be able to 2box or 3box or 4box and do it well. Its kinda easy to 2-3box in everquest and exping there is helluva lot harder then in WoW

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Chesnox said:
I don't see this catching on at all tbh. I cannot understand how you can play 2 characters actively and do it well.

With the ability to set up macros you can very easily control multiple characters from multiple PCs at the same time. Sure they won't be at 100% effectiveness but having six characters in a group at 70% effectiveness is massively more powerful than just one no matter how well played it might be. For example:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wgedtvs/detail?.dir=3d8f&.dnm=6ef7.jpg&.src=ph

That is an example setup. Plus that guy is a complete moron and still manages without a problem so you can imagine how easy it would be for someone who knows what they are doing to manage two or three characters easily.

Necroscope

Fledgling Freddie
Oldfaravid said:
ToA truly killed daoc for the casual gamer.. I even played daoc alot but as I never could plan my playing, because of other commitments, work/training/instructing, I didnt even get to ml1... Arti exping(scroll farming) is probably the sadest I have seen in a game. they should have made the items gain exp from RvR (or that each scroll unlocked 1/3 of the items capability) instead as a "bonus" when you where using em.. Tried WoW and loved it.. even if the PvP didnt have any rewards it was quite fun and balanced... sure there are some classes in WoW that need some tweaks but its not even close to the unbalances in daoc.. The king is dead, long live the king..

Dont really see your logic , You say ToA killed game for casual gamer but you didnt even played that much? Personally I think thoose who play alot should have some reward for it whatever it can be , What you want is insta get it all to compete with players who have maybe invested more time in the game.

And I cant really see that It will be any different in WoW , maybe in the start but not later. The casual gamer will still struggle to get items etc etc what ever it can be that Blizzard implement in the game.

Necroscope

Fledgling Freddie
Nerf editing times! ;) Had to edit some but ran out of time :D

Oldfaravid said:
ToA truly killed daoc for the casual gamer.. I even played daoc alot but as I never could plan my playing, because of other commitments, work/training/instructing, I didnt even get to ml1... Arti exping(scroll farming) is probably the sadest I have seen in a game. they should have made the items gain exp from RvR (or that each scroll unlocked 1/3 of the items capability) instead as a "bonus" when you where using em.. Tried WoW and loved it.. even if the PvP didnt have any rewards it was quite fun and balanced... sure there are some classes in WoW that need some tweaks but its not even close to the unbalances in daoc.. The king is dead, long live the king..

Dont really see your logic , You say ToA killed game for casual gamer but you didnt even played that much? (I dont even know what a casual gamer is? Plays 2-8hours a week?) Personally I think thoose who play alot should have some reward for it whatever it can be , What you want is insta get it all to compete with players who have maybe invested more time in the game.

If I am a casual gamer maybe I should lower my standards abit ? maybe I know that I cant be Uber a game like daoc due to the fact that I play 4 Hours a week?

The danger with WoW as I see it , is that people will get to high level fast (It seems to be Blizzards intention , it shall go fast) and both alliance/horde classes skills are so much a like. If I wanted everyone to be on the same level I could rather play FPS game.

And I cant really see that It will be any different in WoW , maybe in the start but not later. Due to the fact that they will sooner or later need some end game content with hard to get items , abilitys etc. to keep the intrest up for the game.

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Another press release:

http://www.blizzard.com/press/041201.shtml

World of Warcraft had the biggest one day sales for any PC game in US history and has now shifted 350,000 copies in one week. Also since the game has practically sold out over there they are considering limiting the supply of new copies so that they can get new servers up and running in time. It was the biggest MMOG launch in history and they still don't have any figures for Korea yet.

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
Another press release:

http://www.blizzard.com/press/041201.shtml

World of Warcraft had the biggest one day sales for any PC game in US history and has now shifted 350,000 copies in one week. Also since the game has practically sold out over there they are considering limiting the supply of new copies so that they can get new servers up and running in time. It was the biggest MMOG launch in history and they still don't have any figures for Korea yet.

its just cause people are blinded by "oh its a blizzard game it cant fail" and bnet kiddies and warcraft fanbois! :) younger, unexperienced mmorpg players and the like. Of course a lot of older more experienced mmorpg players play it aswell, but I predict not for long. The unexperienced players and wc3 fanbois and bnet kiddies probably has probably never been in a mmorpg world before, and thus the "magic" they will feel is the same as everyone else felt the first time they entered a mmorpg. Unforgettable, but also unrepetable I am afraid =/. Hope they patch in some content soon or more levels or more raids, or more things to do, its getting boring fast o_O

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
izikiel said:
its just cause people are blinded by "oh its a blizzard game it cant fail" and bnet kiddies and warcraft fanbois! :) younger, unexperienced mmorpg players and the like. Of course a lot of older more experienced mmorpg players play it aswell, but I predict not for long. The unexperienced players and wc3 fanbois and bnet kiddies probably has probably never been in a mmorpg world before, and thus the "magic" they will feel is the same as everyone else felt the first time they entered a mmorpg. Unforgettable, but also unrepetable I am afraid =/. Hope they patch in some content soon or more levels or more raids, or more things to do, its getting boring fast o_O
thats a good thing imo, hopefully all the idiots of camelot will leave for it

-Warhawk-

Fledgling Freddie
It's the little things that make WoW more appealing for me. Things like:

-Sending items to other players over a mail system, heck; having a mail system in the first place.

- Quest sharing with other people in your group.

- The interface.

- The 'options' for combat, with a rogue building up combo points and then getting to choose what to do with them and how strong i'd like it makes every pve fight that little bit different and alleviating the feeling of 'farming' (for me anyway)

- The fact that once a mob is pulled it is flagged as yours. No leeching, kill stealing etc.

That's not to say it doesnt have it's bad points.

- No ability to dye your armour/clothes...as far as I could tell. Only method was to be a tailor and craft the items as a colour...so basically you can't dye drops. (nb: I may be wrong it's just I couldn't find out how nor did I know anyone that did)

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
sending items via mail is just another implemantation of cms really if you think about it, although they did it kind of nice.

quest sharing is in daoc aswell, although not as developed

combo points and the like is just like chains in daoc, just implemented in another way.

the flagging mob things is easily abused imo and a bore. If I wanna ks, I should be able to :) but wow is carebear anyways

no dyeing is kinda neat,
You are able to see who has what armour on and thus what monsters or quests they have done :) this worked wonderfully in eq1 until they implemented dying.. :) imo at least

-Warhawk-

Fledgling Freddie
I dunno, it's not the same I don't think. I can build up to a max of 4 (or maybe 5 I can't remember exactly) 'bubbles' or combo points on a mob. With these I can unleash a number of effects - AF decrease, DoT, High DD, Cripple etc.

So I can fully adapt to the situation without having to wait for a reactionary or other style to start a chain...plus if I miss in a style chain in DAOC that's it, start again. If I miss a finisher (the combo point styles) in WoW then the points don't dissapear and I can try again.

Like I said, little things but it makes all the difference for me.

Xarnus

Fledgling Freddie
definately gonne try WoW, daoc has been a lot of fun but ever since toa its not been the same. Only hope WoW pvp will be as fun as pvp in daoc once was. Far as ive seen the pve is fun so thats something ;)

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
-Warhawk- said:
I dunno, it's not the same I don't think. I can build up to a max of 4 (or maybe 5 I can't remember exactly) 'bubbles' or combo points on a mob. With these I can unleash a number of effects - AF decrease, DoT, High DD, Cripple etc.

So I can fully adapt to the situation without having to wait for a reactionary or other style to start a chain...plus if I miss in a style chain in DAOC that's it, start again. If I miss a finisher (the combo point styles) in WoW then the points don't dissapear and I can try again.

Like I said, little things but it makes all the difference for me.

easier chains/chains that are more forgiving/chains for newbs :) is what the combo points are :) more forgiving :) anyways, interesting how they have made a game with ingredients of othergames, that are already out and people are going crazy over it :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
WoW has "new and shiny" going for it at the moment.

In a few months time when it's no longer "new and shiny" we shall see what lasting effect it has on the daoc population.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:

In a few months time when it's no longer "new and shiny" we shall see what lasting effect it has on the daoc population.
quite possibly the wisest person on these boards

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
In my opinion some of the features in catacombs look to have a superior implementation than in WOW. Character customisation, more complex tasks to help leveling, instancing etc. If you look at the changes coming DAOC is gonna get a whole lot more fun ( and less grind, 1.71 :p )

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:

Maybe we'll continue playing like drones. Shall remind me of what its like playing DAoC :D

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Will be interesting to see the group makeup in catacombs. I suspect scouts will become the main tanks in pve groups. I can't see many chosing to level pallys and arms in catacombs after seeing what awaits them in NF.

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
izikiel said:

it kinda doesnt fit on me, mate nor on some other peeps I know. In my case: Well, I HATED Diablo (hate is a very strong word but it fits perfectly here) - really couldn't understand what anyone would see in that game: Tbh I still don't get it. I also never played Warcraft - not because it sucks (dunno if it actually does) but because I am the worst gamer when it comes to strategy games. A long time ago a colleague gave me Command & Conquer I - got stuck in the third or fourth level.

As for the "magic" moment you described: You are partially right there: The first game of a kind always looks and feels different but it can be repeated. My first machine was one of the old C-64's and when I played my first game (Defender of the Crown) I thought that nothing ever could beat that game. For a short while I was right but then other systems were released, the games got more complex (not to mention better graphics). Well..to cut things short: I had the same feeling when I saw "Ultima VII" or "Gothic" or "Unreal" for the first time - and yup, I also had that feeling when I saw "WoW" and I have played my fair share of MMORPGS.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Wazkyr said:
to much qq about toa, its a great add to daoc imo (yes i played before toa to)

And for poll... staying with daoc until they make some "free 1 week wow". Aint gonna buy the game just to try it 1 month

Guess who plays a caster :p :m00:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom