DAoC vs WoW

When WoW is released in the EU i'm going to...

• Move from DAoC to WoW

Votes: 489 30.4%
  • Stick with DAoC

Votes: 632 39.2%
  • Give WoW a try but I may well come back to DAoC

Votes: 403 25.0%
  • Split my time between both!

Votes: 87 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:

haha. poor kid :p

katt! said:
In daoc you pvp because it's fun, in wow you pvp cause it's the only way to the reputation rewards?

why would you need the rep rewards? i dont find BGs that fun but the "normal" pvp you get when just out exploring is great fun. WSG is fun aswell when you have two organized teams versus each other :cheers:

Danya said:
If you're getting hit by 6k blasts you're doing it wrong. :p

we only tried him twice so far. still farming gear so, some caster got hit for 6000 .
Sycho said:
He only does 6k damage if melee die.

We had 8 shamans, 3 used melee as we had 8 total.(6 is what you should have for him.)

that explains it :eek:

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I've been hit for 6k by rag before, but only when things went pear-shaped. :p

Colenzo

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
why would you need the rep rewards?

Because the rewards you get, are items much better than the epic drops in MC for example.
Just look at the Sulfuras - Hand of Ragnaros. 80.2(or something like that) dps, slow speed = nice for warriors.

However, instead of spending 6000g on that, you could spend all your time in AV waiting to get honor rank 14, and get an axe much better than the hammer :s

And the only thing needed to get rank 14, is being no-life and extremely bored. Just look at this rank 14 noob : http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=4891

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Colenzo said:
Because the rewards you get, are items much better than the epic drops in MC for example.
Just look at the Sulfuras - Hand of Ragnaros. 80.2(or something like that) dps, slow speed = nice for warriors.

However, instead of spending 6000g on that, you could spend all your time in AV waiting to get honor rank 14, and get an axe much better than the hammer :s

And the only thing needed to get rank 14, is being no-life and extremely bored. Just look at this rank 14 noob : http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=4891
You seem confused. Honour rewards are not the same as rep rewards. You can sit in AV as long as you like, you won't ever get rank 14. You can get exalted rep and some pretty decent items with enough persistence in AV, but for rank 14 you have to play hardcore WSG every day.
Rep rewards are not even close to as good as the rank 14 items.

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
WoW = PvE heaven

DAoC = PvP fun (I won't call it heaven :p)

I have played both, it took me 3+ years to get bored with DAoC (more or less) but only a mere 6 or so months to get bored with WoW :eek7:

On a side note: PvP or what one normally considers PvP is practically non existant on my server (Dragonblight). The times.. once a month or less.. that the largest battleground is open the Horde get zerged due to the 70% vs 30% population imbalance. Warsong gulch it so extremely limited in its scope that I'm amazed people still play it..

The PvE in WoW is very nice as there are an absolute ton of quests to do.. so many that I seriously doubt that a single character can do all of them (class specific not included). If you like PvE then WoW is certainly something to look into.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie

Votan said:
WoW = PvE heaven

DAoC = PvP fun (I won't call it heaven :p)

I have played both, it took me 3+ years to get bored with DAoC (more or less) but only a mere 6 or so months to get bored with WoW :eek7:

Was it your experience that (like me):
When it comes to on-line games you are normally more impressed with your first game (the naive stage) than your second; your second than your third etc. Also when you go back to a game you experience a sense of nostalgia but you get bored with it much sooner than you did the first time around.

As far as WoW itself goes it is still adding new major content and I reckon they will mirror other changes / developments in other games quicker than any other game on the market. Lots of money = bif design teams.

Some interesting looking ideas for CoH / CoV shared areas for example ... coming to a WoW realm near you soon maybe?

Abnormal

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was my 3rd or 4th MMORPG - yet I think it's the best out of them (in the PvP aspect of the game) ... WoW is great, but only in PvE *imo* and I don't see that changing really, but we'll see.

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC has made a large impression on me as I really enjoyed the type of gameplay (RvR). As with any game (online or not) new = interesting. One does however tend to compare new vs. old.. in this case DAoC vs. WoW.
I played WC II & III long before I started to play WoW so any sense of nostalgia would come from there.. except that there is none. I do have nostalgic feelings with regards to DAoC but those stem from "old thid", I really had some blinding times there.

WoW is getting quite a lot of "new" ingame content but upon closer inspection it really isn't new. Sure its a new area with new mobs n all but the concept is not new. Take Zul Gurub.. it is another instance where one has to spend inordinate amounts to time to reap the benefits (aka grinding). It is just a combination of UBRS and MC. The same can be said for the new BG: Arathi Basin. Arathi is the bastard child the came from a union between WSG and AV.
Main issues with WoW PvP (or lack there of):
- no realm incentives, everything is geared towards personal benefit. PvP is generally very static with the odd raid on XR/Astranaar.
- population imbalances.. these prevent BG's from starting due to lack of players (not meeting minimum threshold) or on the flip side people not being able to get in due to lack of opposition and thus having to wait for hours in a queue.
- incomplete/skewed honour system. The honour system in its current form absolutely favours HC gamers/honour farmers. Also the introduction of severe penalties for incurring dkps (dishonourable kills) have all but killed off city & town raiding.
- unexiting battlegrounds; very little to no space for versatility. Especially in AV one is pretty much forced to join the zerg as solo or group roaming is just about impossible. The bottleneck layout and abundancy of guards is also a limiting factor. WSG is also the same, you have to join the rest in capturing the flag.. fun for a bit, very boring after a while.

I'm not saying that DAoC is perfect as it too has its inherent flaws. Thing is that the PvP/RvR element in DAoC is a lot more fun and versatile.

HappyG

Fledgling Freddie
gervaise said:
As far as WoW itself goes it is still adding new major content and I reckon they will mirror other changes / developments in other games quicker than any other game on the market. Lots of money = bif design teams.

Yeh, WoW copied all the best things from other games, unfortunetly they screw up PvP with battlegrounds, and when official guide for your class says:

Official Alterac Valley Tips said:
Mage - AoE, standoff, and snaring runners are your basic roles, but the best use of your abilities is to run into enemy players fully buffed on a suicide run, spamming Arcane Explosion. This can cause lots of damage and chaos to the enemy while also netting you tons of CP. It works especially well when multiple mages do it. You also make excellent bait.

I doubt Kamikaze had fun in WW2, and when gaming company officialy thinks Mage's best tactic is suicidal run, I believe there is something wrong with the game...

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh, I think the only downside to DAoC is they've brought out too many expansions that have ruined the game. Yes some have improved it alittle but with WoW they are just continually patching it to improve the current game. Which, imo is much better.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
HappyG said:
I doubt Kamikaze had fun in WW2, and when gaming company officialy thinks Mage's best tactic is suicidal run, I believe there is something wrong with the game...

it's the same tactics any PBAE caster in daoc uses ?

Abnormal

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
You seem confused. Honour rewards are not the same as rep rewards. You can sit in AV as long as you like, you won't ever get rank 14. You can get exalted rep and some pretty decent items with enough persistence in AV, but for rank 14 you have to play hardcore WSG every day.
Rep rewards are not even close to as good as the rank 14 items.

almost forgot to reply to this, on our server we win AV several times a day, landing the ~10k bonus honor every win and with it, AV > WSG for honor-farming, in the end of the week, there are very obscene amounts of honor made for those who *live* in AV, it's gone to the point where WSG has almost died out and there is 3 AV's running at the same time..

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Votan said:
DAoC has made a large impression on me as I really enjoyed the type of gameplay (RvR). As with any game (online or not) new = interesting. One does however tend to compare new vs. old.. in this case DAoC vs. WoW.
I played WC II & III long before I started to play WoW so any sense of nostalgia would come from there.. except that there is none. I do have nostalgic feelings with regards to DAoC but those stem from "old thid", I really had some blinding times there.

WoW is getting quite a lot of "new" ingame content but upon closer inspection it really isn't new. Sure its a new area with new mobs n all but the concept is not new. Take Zul Gurub.. it is another instance where one has to spend inordinate amounts to time to reap the benefits (aka grinding). It is just a combination of UBRS and MC. The same can be said for the new BG: Arathi Basin. Arathi is the bastard child the came from a union between WSG and AV.
Main issues with WoW PvP (or lack there of):
- no realm incentives, everything is geared towards personal benefit. PvP is generally very static with the odd raid on XR/Astranaar.
- population imbalances.. these prevent BG's from starting due to lack of players (not meeting minimum threshold) or on the flip side people not being able to get in due to lack of opposition and thus having to wait for hours in a queue.
- incomplete/skewed honour system. The honour system in its current form absolutely favours HC gamers/honour farmers. Also the introduction of severe penalties for incurring dkps (dishonourable kills) have all but killed off city & town raiding.
- unexiting battlegrounds; very little to no space for versatility. Especially in AV one is pretty much forced to join the zerg as solo or group roaming is just about impossible. The bottleneck layout and abundancy of guards is also a limiting factor. WSG is also the same, you have to join the rest in capturing the flag.. fun for a bit, very boring after a while.

I'm not saying that DAoC is perfect as it too has its inherent flaws. Thing is that the PvP/RvR element in DAoC is a lot more fun and versatile.

very valid points, altho Arathi Basin is alot more spread out fights as you HAVE to hold 3 nodes at all times or you will lose. so you generally have 5 vs 5 at the nodes, sometimes more sometimes less. i havent played it much yet on main tho as it´s only on test server(500-936 ping ftw!!1). altho Zul Gurub was quite fun, we done the first boss and had some hilarius fights down there with guildies, altho the fact we had no clue what the mobs would do made it alot more fun that MC "farm" :D

Cylian said:
it's the same tactics any PBAE caster in daoc uses ?

diffrence being in DAoC a solo caster CAN wipe a party/raid if they are not paying attention :p it´s not gonna happen in WoW, arc explosion doesnt do enough dmg, the best tactic for mages imo is Blizzard+imp Blizzard. slow as hell+taking dmg=best way to scatter the enemy force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom