DAoC vs WoW

When WoW is released in the EU i'm going to...

• Move from DAoC to WoW

Votes: 489 30.4%
  • Stick with DAoC

Votes: 632 39.2%
  • Give WoW a try but I may well come back to DAoC

Votes: 403 25.0%
  • Split my time between both!

Votes: 87 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
I just hope that Mythic steals some of the things that Blizzard did right. It'd only be fair, Blizzard stole the whole ranking system from Mythic.

(Replace 'steals' with 'becomes inspired by' and stole with 'got inspired by')

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
really, statements like these sound rather silly. how do you "measure" skill? you make no argument at all you just "cause i said so!!"

Maybe you missed the example is put in brackets of what i consider skill: things such as area/spatial awareness, reaction skill, knowledege of enemy abilities etc, that weighs in much heavier in daoc than in wow since in wow: everyone is a clone of each other, groups are smaller, everyone is a jack of all trades, and the game is very forgiving of mistakes in pvp (i.e. you dont die in 2 sec). Not saying this has to be a bad thing though, just that it takes alot more of the player to play "good" in daoc than in wow. Wow is nice for more casual pvp (or was before battlegrounds).

Laston said:
WoW PvP is alot more fast paced and if you get jumped by say a caster in DAoC it´s usually DD, DD, DD, DD dead whereas in WoW fights dont end in 10 secs (spells do lower dmg but are harder to interupt and casters have alot of insta cast spells you cannot stop) ive had fights where i get ambushed by a caster and yet i survived due to me outsmarting him.

Your contradicting yourself :) Your saying wow is faster paced than daoc and then stating that in daoc you die much faster. The last part is very true - daoc is much less forgiving of mistakes, and the one who loses is usually the one who made the first mistake (everything else beeing equal ofc). Daoc is ofc the faster paced game, i doubt anyone can say different :) Compared to daoc WoW pvp gives you alot more time to think about what to do, what skills to use etc. As an example: ive never been able to get really good at daoc because i need a couple sec to assess what to do in a fight, and my reaction skills arent really that great - in WoW i had standing 7-11 for 5 weeks before i quit playing mostly solo/duo, because the slower pace fit me more - i could always react fast enough in WoW, wheres in daoc i or someone in my group is usually dead before i have reacted.

Again this isnt a good/bad thing. The games are different in their pvp models, and it can be relaxing to play a game where you dont instadie if you look away for 2 sec or dont press a particular button in 0.5 sec after you see someone take damage etc.

Carnalito

One of Freddy's beloved
i for one thought WoW was really nice.. for a few weeks.

Back to daoc now, it totallly pwns WoW imo :D

Gribz0r

Fledgling Freddie
I hate the nerf to the most social aspect of the game, namely chainpulling gobbo's in Lyonesse.

I hated the hours and hours in Caer Sidi with 100 others for the minuscule chance of winning the lotto for an item that you could use, in the unlikely event that it dropped in the first place.

I hate ToA, I hate it with every fiber in my body. I hate the scrollshit, the levelling your artifactshit, I hate the overpowered mobs that were designed with the idea that everyone has a buffbot and 2 to 3 PC's anyway.

I hate people with too much confidence in their buffed salamander pet making battler so fooking hard I once spent 2 hours bashing on him, then got enough of it and just left.

I hate fully Toa'd rvr gank groups that made the gap between parentleeching students and people that work bigger, pretend to want 8vs8 fights and call everyone else -foam lipped- adders,leechers and zergers, while in fact they are actively avoiding other gankgroups because it's all about rps per week and its a lot easier to farm casuals than to fight eachother.

I hate ToA making some of my crafters obsolete.

But I love the friends I met, the people I meet, the c*nts I avoid...

I love this game :(

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Maybe you missed the example is put in brackets of what i consider skill: things such as area/spatial awareness, reaction skill, knowledege of enemy abilities etc, that weighs in much heavier in daoc than in wow since in wow: everyone is a clone of each other, groups are smaller, everyone is a jack of all trades, and the game is very forgiving of mistakes in pvp (i.e. you dont die in 2 sec). Not saying this has to be a bad thing though, just that it takes alot more of the player to play "good" in daoc than in wow. Wow is nice for more casual pvp (or was before battlegrounds).

Your contradicting yourself :) Your saying wow is faster paced than daoc and then stating that in daoc you die much faster. The last part is very true - daoc is much less forgiving of mistakes, and the one who loses is usually the one who made the first mistake (everything else beeing equal ofc). Daoc is ofc the faster paced game, i doubt anyone can say different :) Compared to daoc WoW pvp gives you alot more time to think about what to do, what skills to use etc. As an example: ive never been able to get really good at daoc because i need a couple sec to assess what to do in a fight, and my reaction skills arent really that great - in WoW i had standing 7-11 for 5 weeks before i quit playing mostly solo/duo, because the slower pace fit me more - i could always react fast enough in WoW, wheres in daoc i or someone in my group is usually dead before i have reacted.

Again this isnt a good/bad thing. The games are different in their pvp models, and it can be relaxing to play a game where you dont instadie if you look away for 2 sec or dont press a particular button in 0.5 sec after you see someone take damage etc.

by fast paced i mean the fact you move around alot and you have to react alot more, hes casting a heal? QUICK kick him! hes trying to fear you? QUICK change over to berserker stance and use rage! etc etc

about clone thing id have to dissagree talents can make a huge diffrence, face a enh sham then a elemental shaman and tell me theres no diffrence, or a Fire versus Frost mage. or a Shadow versus Holy/Disc Priest. and actually one misstake is all you need, if you fail that heal. that dd. you fail to stay out of meele range, your dead.

And yeah id agree on the DAoC and WoW are diffrent :) i love WoW. i loved DAoC but i cant stand the grind/caster in DAoC so thats why i left :(

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Tried WoW, to be honest I was hugely disappointed and couldn't face another grind to get a high level character. Even less incentive since the PvP seems to have pretty much no point to it.

Some nice touches in the game but I didn't think it brought ANYTHING new to the genre. Slag off DAOC all you want it actually was original in some respects. WoW has just hand picked parts from other games and for me anyway it just doesn't work.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
Tried WoW, to be honest I was hugely disappointed and couldn't face another grind to get a high level character. Even less incentive since the PvP seems to have pretty much no point to it.

Some nice touches in the game but I didn't think it brought ANYTHING new to the genre. Slag off DAOC all you want it actually was original in some respects. WoW has just hand picked parts from other games and for me anyway it just doesn't work.

well orginality doesnt equal better i just love WoW cause it takes all these things from other games and does it better (ofc thats purely my opinion )

lolblows00

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
well orginality doesnt equal better i just love WoW cause it takes all these things from other games and does it better (ofc thats purely my opinion )

well if you all don't know, DAOC has 2 servers up that are classic servers, the way the game was before ToA, so its a great chance to get back into the game we all loved before the damn arti hunt :clap: :eek2:

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
lolblows00 said:
well if you all don't know, DAOC has 2 servers up that are classic servers, the way the game was before ToA, so its a great chance to get back into the game we all loved before the damn arti hunt :clap: :eek2:

They released a third server called Ector.

Asto the above posts: WoW is without a doubt
a) well tested
b) well done
c) very big so Blizzard have lots of income and a lot of people to spread the cost of additional, well tested, content.
d) very slick in many areas e.g. graphics designed to run very fast
e) Blizzard know their product and do not release content that does únexpected' things.
f) do not respond to complaints by simply patching something that seems right thereby creating a further 10 issues
g) they have a vision, you feel that Blizzard truely own the game

Whether you like / play WoW or not I suggest that these 'qualities'are self evident (and I do know that Blizzard are not perfect, that the game had had some niggles etc).

I also believe - and here I do not expect everyone to agree - that WoW is far cleverer than it is given credit for. I am not going to debate whether things like rest time are new because at the end of the day it depends how it is put together. Lots of people had access to the paints and tools that Van Gogh had, for example, but most didn't do what he did.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
gervaise said:
e) Blizzard know their product and do not release content that does únexpected' things.
Please tell me you are kidding? xD

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
lolblows00 said:
It's not gone back to how it was before ToA. You still got Catacombs, with all it's cap increasing items. You only lose the artifacts and master level abilities.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
a) well tested (well they tested alot and it still lagged like shit)
b) well done (well they tested alot and it still lagged like shit)
c) very big so Blizzard have lots of income and a lot of people to spread the cost of additional, well tested, content.
d) very slick in many areas e.g. graphics designed to run very fast (never played a game that lag as much as WoW do when to much people in an area)
e) Blizzard know their product and do not release content that does únexpected' things. (riiight, how come servers were unplayable due to lag and crashes for months after release)
f) do not respond to complaints by simply patching something that seems right thereby creating a further 10 issues (no Blizzard simply just ignore people insted, never had a problem with GoA or Mythic when it comes to support, have had shit load of problems with blizzard when it comes to support, or well.. they just ignored everything that was wrong)
g) they have a vision, you feel that Blizzard truely own the game (kk m8)

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Heta said:
a) well tested (well they tested alot and it still lagged like shit)

see b)

b) well done (well they tested alot and it still lagged like shit)

cause they had wayy more subs than they expected. now ive never had bad lagg. crashes are rare

agreed.

d) very slick in many areas e.g. graphics designed to run very fast (never played a game that lag as much as WoW do when to much people in an area)

funny, i hate opposite with DAoC, i lagg alot less in WoW and the details in WoW are much better than DAoC

e) Blizzard know their product and do not release content that does únexpected' things. (riiight, how come servers were unplayable due to lag and crashes for months after release)

cause they had wayy more subs than they expected. now ive never had bad lagg. crashes are rare

f) do not respond to complaints by simply patching something that seems right thereby creating a further 10 issues (no Blizzard simply just ignore people insted, never had a problem with GoA or Mythic when it comes to support, have had shit load of problems with blizzard when it comes to support, or well.. they just ignored everything that was wrong)

ignored? they fixing Hunters and Druids allready. they dont wait 2 years or totally ignore classes like Mythic (hi friar/bards)

g) they have a vision, you feel that Blizzard truely own the game (kk m8)

check the quote

Zebolt said:
Please tell me you are kidding? xD

does ToA "will not affect RvR much" ring a bell? :)

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
wow=fun up to 60 then boring
daoc=boring up to 50+kitting then fun

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
PvP is fun in WoW and PvE in WoW ---> DAoC.

As far as i can make out there are two camps..
The people that were good at DAOC PvP prefer DAOC PvP over WOW PvP.
The people that were shite at DAOC PvP seem to enjoy WOW PvP beacuse it is easier to compete and there is both less investment and skill in it.

Each to their own. If you find WOW PvP so exciting get back to playing it!! rather than trolling DAOC boards...

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
The people that were shite at DAOC PvP seem to enjoy WOW PvP beacuse it is easier to compete and there is both less investment and skill in it.
bla bla bla ... you Sir are full of poop ... probably the same kind of person who cries out loud that ToA ruined RvR ... idiot :puke:
Ballard said:
Each to their own. If you find WOW PvP so exciting get back to playing it!! rather than trolling DAOC boards...
it's a DAoC vs. WoW thread after all ... what 'ya expect? get over it and stop trolling yourself ... :twak:

Nive11en

Fledgling Freddie
Heta said:
wow=fun up to 60 then boring
daoc=boring up to 50+kitting then fun
That is so true! WoW is boring at 60, doing MC raids over and over, the PvP in WoW is pathetic compared to DAoC. DAoC level and artifact grind sucks... but once you do get it done, nothing beats the PvP experience.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
bla bla bla ... you Sir are full of poop ... probably the same kind of person who cries out loud that ToA ruined RvR ... idiot :puke:

it's a DAoC vs. WoW thread after all ... what 'ya expect? get over it and stop trolling yourself ... :twak:

No TOA changed RvR but I enjoyed it alot. NF is the best RvR there has been as far as I am concerned, so please inform me of the point of your argument? My post was based on having spoken to about ten people some of whom like WOW and some who like DAOC more. You are likely the idiot judging by the amount of emoticons you use because you cannot express yourself adequately using words or rational argument.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
You are likely the idiot judging by the amount of emoticons you use because you cannot express yourself adequately using words or rational argument.
My humble apologies for not being an english native speaker and having to resort to signs & emoticons to make myself understood by people like you ... :worthy:

PS: NF is the worst that ever happened to DAoC RvR. NF is mostly liked by people who were crap in pre-NF RvR and now they can zerg & camp keeps to their hearts extend, reducing the needed skill to less than zero :touch:

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
PS: NF is the worst that ever happened to DAoC RvR. NF is mostly liked by people who were crap in pre-NF RvR and now they can zerg & camp keeps to their hearts extend, reducing the needed skill to less than zero :touch:

crap player = one who for different reasons cant get a set/gank/guild/ventrilo/ubertemplated/highrr group?

The Idea of NF was to make rvr accessible and somewhat fun for everyone, which it does - gankgroups can still do their thing, and others can utilize towers and bridges and such, yes. Zergs were same in both OF and NF.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
crap player = one who for different reasons cant get a set/gank/guild/ventrilo/ubertemplated/highrr group?

The Idea of NF was to make rvr accessible and somewhat fun for everyone, which it does - gankgroups can still do their thing, and others can utilize towers and bridges and such, yes. Zergs were same in both OF and NF.
well, my reply and especially using "crap player" was more or less targeted at Ballards silly comment about "only people who were crap in DAoC RvR like WoW PvP" ... but hey, if someone likes NF, so be it ... if someone likes WoW PvP, so be it ... everyone to his/her/its taste (which in my case is no PvP if I can avoid it, kkthnxbibi) :m00:

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:

cant play at the moment servers are down for a maintance :touch:

i really love your argument there "omg DAoC pvp is much more skilled cause i say so!!"

it´s better to stfu and look like a idiot then to speak and remove all doubt :twak:

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:

Only people who are crap at DAoC post things like this.

Heta said:
DAoC? Get a lot of people together and it not only lagged to crap but the server crashed to boot. They have improved DAoC, but early on it was literally unplayable when you got a lot of people together.

lolblows00

Fledgling Freddie
Deepflame said:
It's not gone back to how it was before ToA. You still got Catacombs, with all it's cap increasing items. You only lose the artifacts and master level abilities.

only? lol good job, im not even going too dignify that with a response. No Artis or ml's hmm now the average player can compete again, thanks buddy =). :cheers:

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
I consider myself a skilled PvP player in Daoc and mmorpg games in general… I got good with Daoc so I was keen to give WoW my all ;)

The first thing I noticed was the control method in WoW… with no /face /stick it meant you had to run about a lot more. It almost played like a FPS game. I soon settled down and got very good in PvP by using a 5 button mouse in PvP. The combination of pvp experience, good kit, 5 button mouse and a 60 Rogue was deadly.

Imo the PvP in WoW is fine and the control method is excellent. What WoW does lack however is a good PvP end game. The current rank structure is horrid imo ;o I would much prefer one that lasted years : /

I went back to Daoc recently and found it unplayable after becoming used to pvp in WoW. The control method was to restrictive and 'stiff'.

I got to rank 11 (Commander Alliance) in WoW. I felt I couldn't make higher due to work commitments, generally seeing players that play 7 days a week 12 hours a day make more points in a week as a result.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Daoc will soon be perfect fro rvr in my eyes,
the new island gives the fg crowd what they want. If you want to go bash keep doors you can go to NF.
One thing id love to see in daoc is roman style seige towers for keeps giving tanks a active roll in tower takes instead of manning trebs :)

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Daoc will soon be perfect fro rvr in my eyes,
the new island gives the fg crowd what they want. If you want to go bash keep doors you can go to NF.
One thing id love to see in daoc is roman style seige towers for keeps giving tanks a active roll in tower takes instead of manning trebs :)

roman style siege? givf explanation :touch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom