DAoC vs WoW

When WoW is released in the EU i'm going to...

• Move from DAoC to WoW

Votes: 489 30.4%
  • Stick with DAoC

Votes: 632 39.2%
  • Give WoW a try but I may well come back to DAoC

Votes: 403 25.0%
  • Split my time between both!

Votes: 87 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
nikolas said:
I consider myself a skilled PvP player in Daoc and mmorpg games in general… I got good with Daoc so I was keen to give WoW my all ;)

The first thing I noticed was the control method in WoW… with no /face /stick it meant you had to run about a lot more. It almost played like a FPS game. I soon settled down and got very good in PvP by using a 5 button mouse in PvP. The combination of pvp experience, good kit, 5 button mouse and a 60 Rogue was deadly.

Imo the PvP in WoW is fine and the control method is excellent. What WoW does lack however is a good PvP end game. The current rank structure is horrid imo ;o I would much prefer one that lasted years : /

I went back to Daoc recently and found it unplayable after becoming used to pvp in WoW. The control method was to restrictive and 'stiff'.

I got to rank 11 (Commander Alliance) in WoW. I felt I couldn't make higher due to work commitments, generally seeing players that play 7 days a week 12 hours a day make more points in a week as a result.

My feelings are very similar. I completely agree with all the points here about 'playability'. I managed to get Knight Captain with my pally, but I found that 20-30k Honour a week just to maintain rank too much effort, especially when the only real way to maintain that rank (or higher) is to play warsong gulch, and I dont play mmorpgs just to play "Capture the Flag" 24/7.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
I played on a Small US server, Warsong gulch as closed 99% of my playtime, Alterac valley 60% of playtime. Ranks sucks. only good with wow was the controlling of char and parts of the grafic. Unless they do major changes in Wow i will not go back, and if i do i buy a EU acc.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
My feelings are very similar. I completely agree with all the points here about 'playability'. I managed to get Knight Captain with my pally, but I found that 20-30k Honour a week just to maintain rank too much effort, especially when the only real way to maintain that rank (or higher) is to play warsong gulch, and I dont play mmorpgs just to play "Capture the Flag" 24/7.
atleast you can use your pvp gear even after you lost your rank, would suck hard if you didint :)

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
This thread will go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Calo

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
I played WoW for 3 months, 2 of those months were lvl 1-60, when I quit after a month of being lvl 60 I had 6 epics (5 of those I used in my template), it's shit easy to get epics xD

Thats in your opinion..

yes maybe its plain easy if u have a very big guild with good players and u just have to go afk stick and roll once in a while and win 6 epics..

If you are in a small guild, not a hardcore player and u don't know all the stuff about mc and high lvl instances its NOT THAT EASY cause first u have to alliance with other small guilds, then u have to learn how to play together and blablalbalblal.

so yes its very easy to say its easy if u have it.

I mean its very easy for Asafa Powell to say that running 100m under 10.00s is plain easy but 99,9999999999999% of the world can't do that.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Calo said:
Thats in your opinion..

yes maybe its plain easy if u have a very big guild with good players and u just have to go afk stick and roll once in a while and win 6 epics..

If you are in a small guild, not a hardcore player and u don't know all the stuff about mc and high lvl instances its NOT THAT EASY cause first u have to alliance with other small guilds, then u have to learn how to play together and blablalbalblal.

so yes its very easy to say its easy if u have it.

I mean its very easy for Asafa Powell to say that running 100m under 10.00s is plain easy but 99,9999999999999% of the world can't do that.

tbh it sounds like BS to me, care to tell us what drops you got? :m00:

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
If you go afk you're likely to get kicked. Unlike daoc you can't just zerg all the encounters for epics so people afking tend to get booted if they do it too much.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Im confident I could kick your ass.
when people say this in rts or fps games to other people: ok

but in (mmo)rpgs this always makes me laugh (for obvious reasons) :rolleyes:

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
WoW was fun at start, repetitive molten core and onyxia pve and a really shitty pvp system ruined it for me, instanced pvp just doesnt cut it.

On ravencrest there were ppl doing wsg and av 24/7, it was impossible to keep your rank up, miss one or two days of "pvp" and your done for the week cos other people are doing ~400k at the top.

Game has potential but blizzard didnt have the brains to copy the pvp aspects of daoc, so they are stuck in the idiotic instanced pvp thing.

5+h queues for "pvp" are not fun.

daoc > wow in its current form.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
The irony being that whilst Blizzard continue to work at the PvP aspect of the game (amongst others) Mythic is working on 1. DR which surely can't be another ToA type expansion and 2. the re-introduction of emain by another name to undo (in some peoples eyes) the errors of NF.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
ceixava said:
WoW was fun at start, repetitive molten core and onyxia pve and a really shitty pvp system ruined it for me, instanced pvp just doesnt cut it.

On ravencrest there were ppl doing wsg and av 24/7, it was impossible to keep your rank up, miss one or two days of "pvp" and your done for the week cos other people are doing ~400k at the top.

Game has potential but blizzard didnt have the brains to copy the pvp aspects of daoc, so they are stuck in the idiotic instanced pvp thing.

5+h queues for "pvp" are not fun.

daoc > wow in its current form.

well they are releasing a new pvp instance soon, the biggest beef i have with WoW atm is the queue times, max 15 mins would be awesome but as it is doesnt seem very likely :(

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Laston said:
really? ive heard hes nearly impossible since blizz changed him a lil while ago.

He's a great boss to fight but incredibly easy.

We had 2 deaths today on our 3rd ever ragnaros kill, most ranged classes had 50 fire resist unbuffed and were tickled...the 2 deaths were shamans overhitting with windfury heh.

He's not much harder than onyxia to be honest if you know how to handle sons and position well.

Nyssa

Fledgling Freddie
omg, I just read the entire thread, I've been at it for hours :s call me crazy :s

I had played daoc until EQII came. I was so sick of daoc I moved to EQII. I quickly got bored with it as there's no pvp :s... I then moved on to WoW, levelled my char soloing a lot, doing a lot of quests and it was great at first. But in the end, the quests are no more then grinding on mobs... It's hidden a bit, but it's no more then that.

Anyway, In the end I just got terribly bored with that, even more then daoc grinding! Grouping to do quests is even sillier as everybody wants to finish their own private list of open quests. So they join you, the mob or mobs are killed and they disconnect... I have never felt a sence of a real community in wow. If you are in a big guild this will probably not be the case, but many ppl are not in a big guild. The AH does not help this either, you do not need to communicate at all to find something, just do a search on AH and it'll pop up sooner or later.

I won't even bother commenting on pvp, it's crap, no more no less. (might not be for you, but for me, and most daoc-pvp'ers it will be crap)

Oh well, after 6 months of wow (more or less) I'm back in daoc now. I have just started with catacombs as I left before it came out, and in my opinion, Catacombs quests are at least as good as wow quests...

There you go, just keeping the thread active :p

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Nyssa said:
omg, I just read the entire thread, I've been at it for hours :s call me crazy :s

I had played daoc until EQII came. I was so sick of daoc I moved to EQII. I quickly got bored with it as there's no pvp :s... I then moved on to WoW, levelled my char soloing a lot, doing a lot of quests and it was great at first. But in the end, the quests are no more then grinding on mobs... It's hidden a bit, but it's no more then that.

Anyway, In the end I just got terribly bored with that, even more then daoc grinding! Grouping to do quests is even sillier as everybody wants to finish their own private list of open quests. So they join you, the mob or mobs are killed and they disconnect... I have never felt a sence of a real community in wow. If you are in a big guild this will probably not be the case, but many ppl are not in a big guild. The AH does not help this either, you do not need to communicate at all to find something, just do a search on AH and it'll pop up sooner or later.

I won't even bother commenting on pvp, it's crap, no more no less. (might not be for you, but for me, and most daoc-pvp'ers it will be crap)

Oh well, after 6 months of wow (more or less) I'm back in daoc now. I have just started with catacombs as I left before it came out, and in my opinion, Catacombs quests are at least as good as wow quests...

There you go, just keeping the thread active :p

what else should they do? grind players for rank? :p ohh wait...

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
He's a great boss to fight but incredibly easy.

We had 2 deaths today on our 3rd ever ragnaros kill, most ranged classes had 50 fire resist unbuffed and were tickled...the 2 deaths were shamans overhitting with windfury heh.

He's not much harder than onyxia to be honest if you know how to handle sons and position well.

if you concider a 6k fire blast a "tickel" then yeah sure :p

why where shamans meeleing him? im usually told to heal, im not a good lava swimmer :(

Marc

FH is my second home
I prefered Pacman to WoW. Pacman was more taxing

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:

why where shamans meeleing him? im usually told to heal, im not a good lava swimmer :(
If you're getting hit by 6k blasts you're doing it wrong. :p

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
WoW was actually quite fun until 60, MC sucked balls and seemed very dumbed down for an "endgame instance". We had people who after 6 weeks STILL wouldn't move out of magmadars conflag and would stand still on majordomos stove casting -- ragnaros still died.

I expect a similar nerfing of BWL to please the gluesniffers.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
katt! said:
WoW was actually quite fun until 60, MC sucked balls and seemed very dumbed down for an "endgame instance". We had people who after 6 weeks STILL wouldn't move out of magmadars conflag and would stand still on majordomos stove casting -- ragnaros still died.

I expect a similar nerfing of BWL to please the gluesniffers.

stuff allways gets beaten, eventually atleast. and if peeps stand in the fires he make they will die fast, it does like 3.2k dmg over what 7 secs? if you get two of em you will die without healing, and it´s impossible to keep everyone up if they keep playing in the fire :(

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
well they are releasing a new pvp instance soon, the biggest beef i have with WoW atm is the queue times, max 15 mins would be awesome but as it is doesnt seem very likely :(

"pvp" instance you mean? its about controlling resources haha

as i stated earlier, theres no pvp in wow. its just a big reputation farm of a game

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
ceixava said:
"pvp" instance you mean? its about controlling resources haha

as i stated earlier, theres no pvp in wow. its just a big reputation farm of a game

unlike DAoCs rps farm of a game? i fail to see the diffrence :touch:

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
unlike DAoCs rps farm of a game? i fail to see the diffrence :touch:
In daoc you pvp because it's fun, in wow you pvp cause it's the only way to the reputation rewards?

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Laston said:

He only does 6k damage if melee die.

We had 8 shamans, 3 used melee as we had 8 total.(6 is what you should have for him.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom