css newb questions

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

I play q3 mostly but have the odd go at css, so don't really know much about tweaking it. Any advice appreciated ....

I adjusted the gamma to try to get things bright enough to actually see anything, but still nearly all the maps are SO dark it's no fun to play really. Are there other settings I can play about with?

Also, I have REAL trouble telling friend from foe. They are just so similar I go up to shake the hand of the enemy all the time ;) Can I change the skins, either to an alternative official one or to some custom skin that makes it REALLY obvious, like bright red and bright blue? I tried to do one of these, but wasn't sure I did it right and it didn't work at all.

Lastly, is there a decent auto-buy thingy I can get cos it takes so long to buy stuff every time!!

tia

cham

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
Well, the same thing happened to me when i first got CSS. I couldn't tell which team was which. After a while you just get used to it. Try playing withs bots so you become accustomed to what everyone looks like. I'm sure theres a program that allows you to tweak the gamma settings but its named escaped me.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Just play, and learn them. Once you've played for a week or two the models will be mostly obvious. Most obvious, teh CT have a helmet and the T dont.
One thing you can do, change the name setting so the when you look at a player the name comes up accross the middle of the screen rather than at the bottom.
This would be a big help i would think.

EDIT
Dont change them to custom ones m8, that would be FUCKING gay, and cheating to boot !

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah, changing the skins as you describe would be quite devious and underhanded. As for the maps being too dark, sounds like your system, cant you change the brightness and gamma settings from your graphics card drivers?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oh by the way, go to www.nextwish.org for a excellent buy script, I use it meself.
Theres also a thing there for you to change the names of the guns back to thier proper ones, instead of the nonsense "Defender" names and what have you.
Oh yeah, one more thing.
Dont change the bloody player skins you noob ! :p :)

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Oh that's odd, there seem to be LOADS of skins out there, from models to weps to hostages, including on what seem like very popular community sites. No joy installing any though, hence the question. Well tbh if I could sort the darkness thing I reckon I could get used to the models.
I'm sure it's not the windows settings effecting the light levels in css, as all my other games are fine and the settings in windows are on the bright side anyway. It really does seem to just be css. Is there a decent website with a list of all the config commands and descriptions of what each one does, so I can have a tinker?
Also is there a decent buy script thingy that maybe tells you what the weps are and their +/- points? I'd like to script some stuff to make buying easier and quicker but I think need some tips on the strengths and weaknesses of the different weps. Machine guns are ok, but I prefer to go for the less ordinary stuff, e.g. in CoD I always use the standard issue rifles rather than the mg's - prefer precision to spray-and-pray, but find something as serious as a sniper rifle a tad boring.

/edit Ah thanks for the buy thing throd m8

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Gis a screenshot of how dark it is m8, you may just be used to shiny gay q3 games :D
Btw, people do change skins, but they arnt for better views of the enemy, they're for nicer guns or whatever, And invariably they're NOT nicer, and slow your fps down to a crawl. And in matches they are considered cheating as they might give you an unfair advatage.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
Most guns can be used for precision. Yes, even the para :p

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
couple of things from me:

set the following in the config

hud_centerid "1"
cl_minmodels "2"

hud_centerid displays the players name in the middle of the screen (as opposed to default bottom left). When your crosshair targets a player it makes it easier to tell friend v foe.

cl_minmodels displays only 1 skin for Ts and 1 skin for CTs, regardless of what the player chose. Means you only have to tell the difference between 2 skins.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Hes talking about Source Laz you numpty, theres only one model for each anyway :p

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
hey!!! you dont expect me to pay attention to EVERYTHING on these boards!!!

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
awwwww and that minmodels thing sounded top notch too! I hadn't noticed there were only 2 ...... too busy accidentally flash-banging my entire team ;p
Thanks for the help. Will take a 'css by night' screenie asap and post it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom