Politics Coronavirus

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Fairly embarrassing for Richard Branson and his bailout request, when he's being out human-ed by Roman Abramovich....
I think Abra would be orders of magnitude richer than Branson

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We've just had a town hall vehicle with a megaphone on it. Telling us to stay in our homes, and giving us a number to call if we are ill. :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
In other news, 2017 had 10m cases of TB, 1.6m died.
Media interest...practically zero.
The real reason this is stopping the world is because rich people are dying

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Its because its new, and of course the media is going to report on things relevant to local population thats how media works ;)

Im sure once this is over the trolls will be out in force claiming that it was all an over reaction, but am happier to overreact and keep people alive than not react and let people die

Job

Local population..its a pandemic, TB only kills poor peoople, so no ones assed.

When this is over, we are going to have to ask why we tanked the world economy for the flu.

TB kills more people in 2 days than corona has in 3 months

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Makes you proud dunnit.
Hugely irresponsible reporting from someone with a book to sell:

“My goodness, if people still don't understand that they need to have social distancing, then I don't think we have any hope at all,” she says. “I think we're going to all drop dead.”

I get that she's got insight but what humanity needs is cold hard fact - not overblown emotional crap.

The point about inadequate response by the UK might well be true but the important thing here is that opinion pieces designed to stir up an emotional response to sell books are irresponsible and dangerous.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hugely irresponsible reporting from someone with a book to sell:

I get that she's got insight but what humanity needs is cold hard fact - not overblown emotional crap.

The point about inadequate response by the UK might well be true but the important thing here is that opinion pieces designed to stir up an emotional response to sell books are irresponsible and dangerous.
That sentence made me cringe too but what book does she have to sell? You make it sound like she's got one coming out soon (and "just before it launches" usually coincides with authors making themselves heard) but the one linked in the article was published in 1994.

Job

No lockdown and we're at 75 deaths.

Its sensible precaution...but holy fuck its expensive....if this happens again in the next 5 years we're gonna end up breaking Europe.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
No lockdown and we're at 75 deaths.

Its sensible precaution...but holy fuck its expensive....if this happens again in the next 5 years we're gonna end up breaking Europe.

it’ll end up breaking the World, and it might not need 5 years; five months will probably do it. I’m genuinely starting to think we’ll come out of the other side of this in a genuinely changed world; and i have my doubts about it being a better one.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
it’ll end up breaking the World, and it might not need 5 years; five months will probably do it. I’m genuinely starting to think we’ll come out of the other side of this in a genuinely changed world; and i have my doubts about it being a better one.
Time will tell. But it will be different

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Days ago, the UK said its plan was to wait for herd immunity to kick in. When the UK government saw projections that showed thousands of citizens would die due to this “asinine” policy, she says they changed their strategy.

It was seen to not work. And we changed. So quote the whole bit ;)
Or, the UK gov shouldn't have modelled their whole reaction on a completely different virus and should've listened when people almost universally questioned what they were planning. They effectively wasted a week until the models showed that it'd lead to 250k deaths and they went with what everybody else was doing but in such a way that after every announcement, there was confusion everywhere. Johnson recommended people not go to bars/restaurants/etc but he didn't close them, which would've led to all of those business owners being unable to claim insurance because they weren't forcibly closed. People still don't have a clue what's happening with exams in the UK. And the schools are shutting. Great. But let's give the kids 2 more full days to get nice and infected before sending them home. If you're going to shut the schools, shut them as of the announcement to shut them.

People don't want his foppish mumbling bullshit right now, they want a leader to stand up and fucking tell them what's going on and what they HAVE to do.

georgie

FH is my second home
Johnson recommended people not go to bars/restaurants/etc but he didn't close them, which would've led to all of those business owners being unable to claim insurance because they weren't forcibly closed.

I thought most policies wouldn't cover mandated shut-downs as standard anyway.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I thought most policies wouldn't cover mandated shut-downs as standard anyway.
Coronavirus: West End shuts down as Boris Johnson's advice sparks anger
But many figures from the worlds of theatre, music and nightlife were angry that Mr Johnson advised people to stay away while not forcing venues to close, which could have given them financial protection.

He added: "By not enforcing a shutdown, production insurance will not apply so producers and shows will go bankrupt, and tens of thousands of people will be without pay."
I don't know if that just refers to theatres but I've seen club/bar owners on Twitter complaining of the same thing - ie because they weren't TOLD to close, they wouldn't have been able to claim.

georgie

FH is my second home
Coronavirus: West End shuts down as Boris Johnson's advice sparks anger

I don't know if that just refers to theatres but I've seen club/bar owners on Twitter complaining of the same thing - ie because they weren't TOLD to close, they wouldn't have been able to claim.

ABI Spokesman said:
"Standard business interruption cover – the type the majority of businesses purchase – does not include forced closure by authorities as it is intended to respond to physical damage at the property which results in the business being unable to continue to trade."

Taken from Here

If you think it through, having that kind of cover as standard would kill the insurance company as it implies something pretty fucking major had happened and everyone would claim at the same time. Now, if you want to pay extra for that cover, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to accommodate.[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom