Authentication Failed - application will now exit

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved

Sounds like your having a hell of a time with it, worse than I am. I am in and and sat in a 40 minute Q atm, but at least I'm in.

How does your wireshark trace compare with mine from the first page of this thread? I use the following capture filter to exclude irrelevent traffic:

net 80.12.99.0/24 or net 80.12.101.0/24 or net 193.252.133.0/24

This should isolate the capture to the IP ranges (and maybe a bit more) that warhammer is using. What I seem to see when its going wrong is lots of TCP retransmissions of what looks like the same packet even though my PC is sending out an ACK for this packet, it doesn't appear to reach its destination.

I would love to know what Mythic intend to do about this issue, if anything.

*edit* I think I will try and get this workaround going now that serapho has posted this howto next time im trying to connect and can't.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81490

I am thinking of using the openvpn method, and routing just the auth servers down it, as its only those we are having an issue with.

Polkadot

Fledgling Freddie
Right - well I've spent another happy hour on the phone to BT Technical Support and the bottom line is that they don't see it as being their problem.

If anyone gets any further with them or can provide information that spells out the problem and how they fix it I'll happily speak to them some more!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Read a post on Alliance, it isn't ISPs fault (mostly) it's GoA. Server list is going to hell.

SUGGESTION THAT MAY WORK:

Set it so you can pick the server language you want before the server gets loaded, and save the option. So only the servers you want get loaded. No need for 4000 servers to load at once.

Tamron

Fledgling Freddie
For god's sake, this should take a whole of 10 seconds for GOA to fix. No need to add any language-filtering, or contact each and every ISP on earth on anything too complicated.
All packet-shaping does is take a BIG chunk of data that comes in a burst, and just make it "trickle" through a *little* slower, so that there aren't any big spikes in the data rate.
*ALL* GOA need to do is raise the timeout they have on the server list by a little. The only reason it's there is that if you try and log in when the login server is down, you don't get stuck waiting forever. So just make that timeout twice as long (e.g 1 minute instead of 30 seconds or whatever), and everything's solved. No "Auth failed" errors for all of us, and all the "negative" impact is people waiting another 30 seconds before the timeout hits when the login servers are down once a month.
I really can't understand why this has to be turned into such a big deal - they should have fixed and patched it within 24 hours of understanding the problem (which they did very quickly, more than a week ago).

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
please do that ^

because this is real annoying for me

to mehuge
yeah similar results in wireshark (not that I understand any of it) but it says things like dup ack req etc etc in the checksum faults that I seem to have a lot of (200 strings saved 15-20 are bad checksums)

last night however I had a lot less problems after 8pm than usual soon I'll be able to play at the times I want if this keeps up

waiting for tonight :))

P

PeakTimeOnly

Peak Time Error only

Ive been getting this, it ONLY happens at "peaktimes" eg last two days i have been playing fine in the afternoon, i need to log for dinner and when i get back i get this error, nothing has changed my end... i then have to wait till about 10pm when this error will magically disappear, until the next peak time... i can only assume it has something to do with GOA's Login server authentication process being under too much pressure and it cant ok everyone and for some reason it picks out a few peoples PCs it dont like and they get all the grief, 1 of my friends had this error a day before me, as im typing this (as i cant get on) another friend who has been fine now has the error...

Polkadot

Fledgling Freddie
Well - I'm back again - this problem is still happening for me.

Another 3 hour wait ahead...

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
It seems I am now also a victim of this issue, again it only seems to happen at peak times ie, past 6pm uk time.

Bluelion

Fledgling Freddie
This is 1 hour 30 minutes and I'm still waiting to get to the server list :( Odd thing tonight is I can get past the patcher virtually everytime, and the server list isn't causing the authentication error and game closure, its just got stuck waiting for the list.

COME ON GOA please fix this, I'm getting very frustrated here. I certainly won't be subscribing if this isn't fixed within the next 3 weeks.

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
Yup, same problem for me now. This should really be a simple fix by Mythic / GOA, not everyone ringing up their ISPs to cover up for a piece of poor authentication / server lookup code.

If it's not fixed so I can play when I get in from work (which is of course peak hours), no point in me subscribing.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
If it's not fixed so I can play when I get in from work (which is of course peak hours), no point in me subscribing.

About 10-15 people on my campus are feeling that way too. Alot of people are actually.

See, I want to actually play this when I have near nothing to do, which, during peek, seems impossible. :(

talima

Fledgling Freddie
fellow BT user peek time sufferer here

had no luck fixing this or getting replies from ea mythic and goa are doing my head in i just get the same auto sent pre formated useletter email back from them.

just sharing your pain im afraid nothing constructive to add

Chunderpants

Fledgling Freddie
I thought this might be of assistance for some of us. Really it just causes me more confusion. I know its not my PC, and if BT is to be believed its not caused by what the bloke from GOA suggested.

e-mail I sent to BT Broadband Help

Title: Mr
First name: xxxxxxx
Last name: xxxxxx
Please can you advise if there is a throttle or packet shaper that would prevent me from getting a certain amount of data at once?

I have recently bought the Warhammer Online game, and myself as well as a number of other people - most on BT internet - are unable to log into the game during peak periods.

At off-peak times there are no problems as all, however as I work away from home during the off-peak times the ONLY time I can play this game is during the peak periods. Unfortunately due to what I think is a throttle or packet shaper I am unable to do so.

If this is the case, is it possible to remove it from my connection? I am only on 2Mb broadband which due to exchange limitations I rarely achieve and this additional issue is creating a major problem for me.

e-mail response I received from BT Broadband Help

Dear Mr. xxxxx,
Thank you for your e-mail dated 24th September, '08. It has been logged under the reference number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I gather from your e-mail that you are facing an issue while playing online games during the peak hours. I do understand your concern and the inconvenience caused due to this. I will definitely provide you with all relevant information regarding this.

I would like to inform you that BT does not throttle the speed on any customer’s line unless that particular line is marked by Fair Usage Policy. I have checked your account and can confirm that your account has not been marked by Fair Usage Policy and thus there is no restriction on your line. I understand that during peak hours there might be some issues related to browsing the internet; however, please be confirm that there is no restriction on your line.

For any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us or use our BT Broadband Self Help web site BT Broadband |Support & Advice | BT.com.

Thank you for using BT Total Broadband Support.

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Magnus, has there been any updates on this issue?

Is this something GOA/Mythic are actually looking into?

ileks

Part of the furniture
This is driving me mad now. I get this every night at prime time and am on BT internet as well.

I had no problems in the closed beta or in the first week or so of release.

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
Is this just us on BT? I've had it every night this week from about 6-10pm, and I do think BT throttle me.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I don't know mate, but BT throttle me as well. I'm about to reboot the wireless hub to see if that sorts it out. Will post if it does.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Ok, restarting the hub worked completely, i am now in. This seems to have sorted it for a lot of people on the warhammer alliance thread as well.

Skorn

Fledgling Freddie
It's back, dam this Authentication Failed error, so I've had another fiddle with the BT HomeHub, and found the Event Logging Page, and I've noticed that everytime I get the Auth. Failed error, this info appears in the Hubs Event Log:
Sep 26 21:17:56FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 16): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 122.88.36.98 Dst ip: 86.135.9.101 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ll00__md.gif
Sep 26 21:12:53FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 27): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 79.167.164.108 Dst ip: 86.135.9.101 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ll00__md.gif
Sep 26 21:11:49FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 122.121.8.146 Dst ip: 86.135.9.101 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ll00__md.gif
Sep 26 21:04:32FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 3): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 76.23.104.14 Dst ip: 86.135.9.101 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable
spacer.gif

Anyone know what this means exactly, and does it help track down the problem?

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik our clients try to dl the server list file and it fail’s due to the lag and goa's configured time out, if they increased the time out time it would work but it also opens up security issues. I don't have any of my tools atm so I can't check it out and I’m not sure why only some of us get in, it might be the way BT route us and one of GOAs routers need fixing.

But by the lag you get when you’re in game, seems to me goa need to up the hardware and mythic need to improve the code.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Just started happeing to me for the very first time, started 1 hour ago. I've played at peak times with queues of 300+ but this never happened before. Now I cant even log in.

If this is not fixed soon then what is going to be the point of subbing.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Answer I got back from GOA:

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning, Ticket ref: #442466
--
Dear customer,
This issue is actually the login protocol timing out. Either your firewall or router are blocking the connection, or your internet connection is suffering stability issues. Whilst our servers are up and accepting connections, we have no control over how stable your connection to europe is.
Please check your firewall settings, and ensure that both warpatch.exe and WAR.exe are added to the exceptions list of your firewall. Instruction on how to do this for Windows Firewalls can be found in the FAQ under Technical Support -> Connectivity on the website.
You should ensure that your router has the correct ports opened. The port numbers can be found in the FAQ under Technical Support -> Connectivity on the website. Instructions on how to configure these ports should be available from your router supplier.
If that does not fix the problem then the only other issue it can be is the quality of the connection to our servers. Unfortunately that is something we have no control over, you will need to contact your ISP.
Kind regards,
WAR Customer Support English

If my router or firewall was an issue why would it have been fine for several weeks only to start failing early this afternoon (Dubai time). I can understand the ISP might be an issue but where are the server IP's to confirm this? are they published anywhere?

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
I can understand the ISP might be an issue but where are the server IP's to confirm this? are they published anywhere?

Should you manage to log into the servers, you can type 'netstab -b' in a command prompt and get the IP: port connected to by your various applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom