Authentication Failed - application will now exit

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
I've got this twice in about 4 days around the same time, and other people I know. I know goa would fail with there network and "open transit"

Considering I had a torrent uploading at like 3kb/s look how smooth it is when I hit BT.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms esr8.reading4.broadband.bt.net [217.41.220.147]
3 26 ms 26 ms 24 ms 217.41.220.30
4 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms 217.47.206.10
5 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms 217.41.169.13
6 25 ms 34 ms 27 ms 217.41.169.78
7 26 ms 25 ms 28 ms 217.41.169.46
8 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms 217.47.72.177
9 25 ms 35 ms 25 ms core2-pos5-3.reading.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.0.233
]
10 29 ms 27 ms 28 ms core2-pos0-0-0-13.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.201
.201]
11 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms transit2-gig9-0-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.2
0.250]
12 28 ms 27 ms * t2c2-ge13-0-0.uk-ilf.eu.bt.net [166.49.168.117]
13 30 ms 27 ms 28 ms t2c1-p3-2.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.164.93]
14 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms t2a4-ge2-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.135.52]
15 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms 166-49-211-138.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.138]
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * 35 ms 32 ms 80.12.201.2
19 * 193.253.67.6 reports: Destination net unreachable.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
This problem occured several times for me today. It seemed to be solved by a complete PC restart, a deletion and reinstatement of all WAR firewall permissions and port permissions though.

No clue why it "lost" it's way but it just did. Can i suggest everyone tries the same? Only takes a few minutes.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I did a trace route... Servers are (as people may guess) actually hanging on the PATCH server, the auth is fine. It just delays till that point.

Also had a REALLY REEALLY REALLLLLY bad issue regarding Open Transit and their responce time. (Talking time outs to 400ms+)

Caladamir

Fledgling Freddie
I'm in...at 23:00pm. Work 2morrow at 5am so..../g 'Hello Guildies'....'Goodnight Guilds'. /logout

Chunderpants

Fledgling Freddie
I didnt get to try again last night after several unsuccessful attempts all resulting in the same error message. Basically I fell asleep on the sofa!

My son was having the same issues with his PC last night too, so its not PC related.

I was up bright and early at 4.10am this morning and managed to log in straight away.

It just seems to me that when I connect to WAR at times when theres "low demand" I dont get the error, but at peak times i.e after work or at weekends chances are this message will occur.

It also seems to largely be a BT related issue as well. Of course that wouldnt surprise me. Theyre about as much use as the most intelligent Dixons employee.

But even if it isnt GOA's fault, they must have some clues as to what the issue is and its the decent thing to do to try to help us out even with a few "try this" or "try that" suggestions.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ok i also have this issue now: I get past the patcher, the Loading screen with the warhammer symbol etc and then when it hits the server selection screen it hangs on the first line in the little box. When i tab out i get the "Authentication Error application will terminate" error.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who have mentioned traffic shaping as the cause are correct as my ISP does traffic shape file transfer protocol (FTP) traffic during weekdays from about 11.00 to 19.00.

I started playing yesterday, and it was perfectly fine since it was sunday, then today i loged on in the morning before my ISP starts its shaping and managed to get on fine, but after alil while it started laging badly (at around the time when they start to shape) and eventually i logged off. When i tried to log on again at around 12.00 i got this error.

The chances that my ISP will sort this for me are minimal as ive already tried to get them to sort it for another program i use and to no avail. And i doubt GOA can do much to influence a swedish ISP so im probably fucked. It will mean i wont be able to play the game. Dont know what to do now, i feel cheated.

Grimsol

Fledgling Freddie
Still same problem here, no helpful response form customer support. It's been 5 days now and I am still to play the game :(

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
Ok
Update

took all the settings out of the router because it broke the game for my son's PC

(it forwards all the ports specified to the exact PC you specify? making only one PC/router viable ? )

after we removed all the routwer stuff we both logged out and in multiple times without a hitch

this was all just after 9:30pm last night.

if it is a BT issue I can change that I'm out of contract period anyway, but I need the say so from someone at GOA that this is the problem.

JIC someone says this isn't the offical forum or contact method, I have a support request in for Fri 19th Sept that has not even been acknowledged yet, and the WHA forums are filled with americans who spam a lot and make any new topic disappear too fast. So after asking once there and no reply I gave up. This seems to be the last avenue to follow for GOA's attention

Skorn

Fledgling Freddie
Just recieved an email from GOA customer support on this issue(Auth. failed etc.), only took them a week to reply:), but don't bother waiting for the response they send you, as it's just general info, they don't answer your individual questions :twak:.
I don't have probs. with this error anymore, but I thought you might like to see this.
Check it out:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting W.A.R. customer support.
We are responding with a multi-point answer to your query as there have been many changes and developments over the last few weeks and we would rather provide you with the fullest response possible, so we that we are more likely to address the issues you are having.
If, after going through all the information, you still have a problem please resubmit a ticket through the help form on the website. Where possible, please choose the correct category so that your ticket can be directed to the department who can best assist you with your issue and to ensure a speedier response.
To avoid delays, we’d urge you not to submit multiple tickets on the same issue.
Please also feel free to check out our website FAQs at http://www.war-europe.com/#/faq/?lang=en, which will provide further information on common topics and queries.
REGISTRATION, ACTIVATION & LOGIN ISSUES:
Before you can access the game, you need to register on the website and then, once you have received confirmation of your registration via email, you can either login to the website and go to MyProfile to enter your CD key or click on CODE button to authenticate your CD Key. You will receive an email to confirm authentication.
You must have registered with us and have a confirmed account before you can authenticate your CD key.
Registration Issues
Common issues during registration
· Errors when entering the Captcha code (the numbers and letters you are asked to copy when registering)
o If you are using Internet Explorer 7.0 try using a different browser such as Firefox to try and complete your registration
o Lots of display issues on our website can be resolved if you clear out your browsers cache, cookies and browsing history
· Error when clicking confirmation email link. Once you have clicked on the link in the confirmation email, you don’t need to do this again, and you will get an error if you do.If in any doubt whether your account is set up you can try and recover your password here
o Haven’t received the registration confirmation email. Depending on the registration volume in our system the confirmation email can be sent between 1 minute and several hours. A registration that has been not confirmed will be discarded after 24hrs in which case you will need to register on the site again.
Note: try to register at night or early in the morning during the week if you experience any delay in receiving the registration confirmation email and/or key activation email.
Hotmail users: the delay experienced may be larger than expected due to some restrictions from hotmail side, in this case we advise you to use an alternative email provider to set up your account with
Issues with CD Key Activation
Please note that you need to successfully activate your key in order to play the game, otherwise you’ll get an Authentication Failed error when you try to login to the game via warpatcher.exe.
In order to make sure that you can access the game, log on the website and click on “my profile”. If the Gemstone next to my subscription is red, you can’t access the game.
If it’s green, you can! (Note: If you’ve forgotten your password, you can use our password recovery form available here)
Common Issues
o Some of the characters in the CD Key can be hard to read - please consult the FAQ available on our website in the “Help” section here for some common mistakes
o Activation fails.
o Some of the characters in the CD Key can be hard to read - please consult the FAQ available on our website in the “Help” section here for some common mistakes
o Key already active on your account, due to multiple attempts to activate the key
o Key already used on another account. In this case, you need to contact your supplier

Login Issues
Make sure you launch Warpatch.exe when you launch the game.
Note that the characters created during the headstart have not been deleted nor will be deleted when you upgrade your account with the game licence.
PAYMENT/BILLING INFORMATION:
There is no free trial for WAR for the moment. If you want to play the game, you need to purchase an online license or a box from your videogame retailer. This entitles you to a month’s free subscription.
You will be able to purchase a subscription period soon, which will be available before the end of your free subscription period. Please check the website regularly to be kept updated about this.
Kind Regards,
Warhammer Online European Customer Support

What kind of support is that? Its all general stuff, and I especially like the bit that says about resubmitting a ticket, yeah sure, so you can get the exact same email a week later? ROFLMAO, :kissit:
Keep it up GOA, and I'll be spending the sub. money on :drink:,:lol:

scorpius

Fledgling Freddie
got the same problem, reported it once and it vanished..now its back, it must just be a problem with the login server...

mib666

Fledgling Freddie
I now have this problem, was able to login this morning without issues and never had this happen before. However I have never tried to login at what must be peek time. i.e. 6pm :)

Brings back bad memories of DAOC and GOA.

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
Same again

we tried to log both PCs in at 5:45pm

after 2 attempts my son got in..

I still haven't got close and that's after about 20 goes
gonna keep trying for a little while and then give up again til after 8:30

this is fcking annoying

edit 19:45
login successful so It cant be an isp issue ?
please please investigate this GOA

and today 2:30pm i get that same bs email from goa that skorn got
fat waste of time that sht was,

getting a lot less patient now

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
cant edit last post too long between

ok mistake was 18:45 in

and it still needs looking into because it's annoying and affecting a number of people

Bluelion

Fledgling Freddie
I really don't understand this problem. I'm 99.9% sure its got NOTHING to do with our PCs or our networks, so changing routing settings is not going to make 1 iota of difference. Tracerouting through to the server seems to always reveal its the hop after ge-3-2-0-0.nrlil202.Lille.francetelecom.net where the problems start, which I suspect is a GOA owned box.

What I can't understand is WHY ON EARTH ISN'T EVERYONE AFFECTED??? It seems most of the affected people here are on BT or subsideries (like myself with plus.net), so I'm wondering if there's a router with its knickers in a twist somewhere between here and there.

Anyway, the latest patch seems to have substantially increased the timeout period once you finally get to the server list, which is helping. Still taking a couple of minutes to find the server and log on, but at least it now waits a lot longer before giving the error and aborting the program.

Chunderpants

Fledgling Freddie

Yeah I saw that post when I joined this topic. I tried all that except calling BT. Like they give a damn!

Funny enough it was some days ago, and there was a fair bit of trying to help before then I see, but we havent seen hide nor hair of any further help since then which kind of makes you wonder if an answer unknown is best ignored!

My son has been playing on his account on my PC since 2pm UK time today. When I came home he exitted the game and IMMEDIATELY I tried to enter the game on my account.

No joy.

I've tried on the hour every hour since with the same error coming up.

But you know what narks me off just as much? The games shops saying "we wont do refunds on PC games". I mean theres a lot of us with a game we cant play. Its unfit for purpose. Someone should be taking responsibility.

Damned if Im going to pay a sub on a game I can only play at 4.00am in the morning.

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
ho ho ho

so I get a couple of hours of playtime with friends and my son and now i have a ctd

try log in and

ta da

auth failed

this is now at 9:30
almost he exact opposite of the previous times

again son still playing no problem

server Eltharion Order just before crash was very laggy for a lot of guild mates
maybe someting in that?

anyway trying to get back on again
update when i do

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Just a quickie to let you know that I managed to play okay all yesterday. I dont know why, except I decided to get up "effin' early" and log in when the servers were not so full, and it worked first time.

This is my experience too. If I log in early enough I can play all day. The issue is with ports 8040-8049 which is used to authenticate and obtain the server list. Once you are past that part you can play quite happily.

My ISP accepts that its their issue, they have said they have people playing WAR during the day. They are continuing to investigate.

Lexican

Fledgling Freddie
Ive got the patcher hanging issues now also with bt but i was fine playing all day loging in and out with ctd to but i logged off at 10pm went to go back in to game to check something and now i cant get in this really crap and i really dont think its my isp or my router or anything like that cause its been total fine open beta head start and today

i mean are they having probs regging ppls keys for the 24th some info if they are would be good ive had my email to say my key is up and running

Lexican

Fledgling Freddie
yea just got in to and managed to check what i needed to so good luck all tring to get in

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
edit 19:45
login successful so It cant be an isp issue ?
please please investigate this GOA

Yes it can.

I get this, occasionally I will catch a little window of perhaps lesser load at the ISP where the traffic shaping decides to allow the connection through to the server unhindered, and it works. Or perhaps when the ISP is fiddling with stuff and maybe restarts the shaping software. For instance the other evening there was a 5 minute window where I managed to login on 2 PCs then logged out on one and tried to log back in and couldn't.

My ISP has been building a profile for Warhammer and this has allowed some people to connect, however it remains an issue for my connection. They are going to make a separate profile for my IP (I am on static so they can do that) to flatten all shaping to/from my IP while they monitor it and build up a full profile for Warhammer. They have also contacted the traffic shaping vendors for any info they might have on the issue.

Fortunatly both the support guy and the network engineer looking at this issue are Warhammer players so they have particular interest in this issue. Chris is even on the same server as me. It was quite a surreal moment when I found myself having a conversation with my ISP about Bright Wizard vs Shaman combat tactics lol.

Just to re-itterate my problem:

During the ISP peak hours (its a business oriented ISP, so that's between ~9am and ~7pm mon-fri) I cannot normally connect (authenticate). Occasionally if I'm very lucky I will manage to connect, but if I retry a few minutes later it will fail. Outside of those times when traffic shaping is effectivly not active I can connect just fine.

I think Mythic could fix the client that would improve the situation by magnitudes and that is to get the client to stop bailing just because it gets an error downloading the server list. The authentication has already passed, so why bail the client with an auth error? Its just bad exception handling in the client.

Chunderpants

Fledgling Freddie
Not too much point in stating the same old same old, but couldnt get on at all last night due to the Auth Error. Up again at 04:30hrs this morning and all was fine.

Problem is I have to leave to go to work at 07:00hrs. 2.5hrs gaming FTL.

C

Chokonit

Same

Hey

I'am strangly enough having the same problem. I have fowarded alll ports on my router and firewall, even setup a DMZ on my router too.

I have investigated my internet providers in the allogation that it is 'Traffic Shaping' but the funny thing is Demon the provider i'am with dont traffic shape according to several websites i read via google. Even one site compared Demon to BE and all was well. I played from the 19th of sept right to the 21st for hours on end playing with my next door neighbour who is less than 3 feet away from me with a differnt connection and also on Demon but it works fine for him, quite frankly this is extracting the urine.

I am enjoying this game ALOT, but this is frustrating me to a point where i may just give up. GOA can we have an explination now not tomorrow now would be lovely even a simple "We Dont Know" would do wonders for the group of people unluckly struck by this problem.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
still like it now for me...doubt i'll pay to (not)play this.

Polkadot

Fledgling Freddie
Managed to get on last night - but the problem is back again tonight...

I guess I'll have to wait till after 10p.m. again :(

Hayt-TdA

Fledgling Freddie
ok tonight's updates

same as always now
son gets on I don't

I mess around a little bit with wireshark etc and see that server lists are coming down and that everything seems ok except it's not

i ping the auth server 80.12.99.26
no response

I phone BT and get the IT support section on the indian sub-continent
which help me a lot......

I get forwarded to a subscription based support unit in the UK but I refuse to pay for the 3 months of support minimum

all this time I keep trying
and I get in but I wont stop the phonecall because I know if I CTD i'm back at square one

UK support passes me back to india and I talk to a chap who tells me about bandwidth..... on an mmo ....
I explain to him that it's been suggested that it's traffic shaping and he loses the plot a little but he did tell me next time I have the issue I should unplug all the other devices on the line (like SKY)

I'm now crashed out because I paged out to type this and will check all the extra stuff on the line after wards and report back

but on wireshark I get a lot of ThomsonT entries is that the homehub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom