Asthma Inhaler Petition

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I know a lot of people think these petitions are a waste of time, I'm not that sure about them myself, but I told my wife I would post this for her anyway.

Petition to: enable the continued use of asthma inhalers with CFC propellants until alcohol-free alternatives are available.

Basically some asthma inhalers are being phased out and their replacements have alcohol in them, which is pretty crap if you don't want alcohol in your body. Also it means that you'll often test positive with a breathalyzer and be forced to take a blood test to show you haven't been drinking. Anyway that part isn't mentioned in the petition, it just occurred to me. This is what the petition actually says:

The use of asthma inhalers containing propellants with CFCs is being phased out in the UK, in accordance with a change to the Montreal Protocol made in 1997, despite the fact that originally medical devices deemed "essential uses," such as inhalers, were exempted from the protocol, and that CFC inhalers release negligible amounts of CFCs and do not pose a threat to ozone depletion. Currently, the only available substitutes for these inhalers contain alcohol (ethanol). This means that asthmatic children, as well as women with asthma who are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to conceive will be forced to consume alcohol on a daily basis. The new inhalers are also inappropriate for people whose religion does not allow them to consume alcohol.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
I know a lot of people think these petitions are a waste of time, I'm not that sure about them myself, but I told my wife I would post this for her anyway.

Petition to: enable the continued use of asthma inhalers with CFC propellants until alcohol-free alternatives are available.

Basically some asthma inhalers are being phased out and their replacements have alcohol in them, which is pretty crap if you don't want alcohol in your body. Also it means that you'll often test positive with a breathalyzer and be forced to take a blood test to show you haven't been drinking. Anyway that part isn't mentioned in the petition, it just occurred to me. This is what the petition actually says:

OMG i never new this, my 2 year old has asthma. How much alcohol are we talking about?

*edit* what about those old disk style inhalers they used to have?

*edit 2* Alcoholics Anonymous Reviews: Storm in a tea cup for asthma aerosols storm in a teacup?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
hmm, mine is CFC free and doesn't have alcohol in

Ivax CFC free inhaler

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I think it's only one type of inhaler they're talking about, I don't really know anything about it myself.

Some of that New Zealand storm in a teacup report sounds a bit mad near the end, claiming the entire Muslim community don't give a shit - seems like an odd thing to claim, is it a spoof or a real article? As for alcoholics, I'm not sure I would want to be inhaling it even if it would take 5000 tokes to get a hit, it would still be a bit worrying psychologically to know you're putting alcohol in your mouth if you're a full on recovering alcoholic.

Anyway the alcohol drink driving part etc was just my own insane thought, I don't think I've seen it anywhere else apart from that New Zealand report.

I think the main worry is with pregnancy and the alcohol in the vapour getting straight into the blood through the lungs and into the baby's bloodstream, most women try to avoid alcohol totally if they're pregnant.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
isnt asthma just all in your head anyway?

Chilly

Balls of steel
The amount of alcohol is tiny and most of it gets exhaled anyway, I don't really see the problem. Its all about the dosage. you dont complain about various heavy metals and poisons in your drinking water because they are below the threshhold to cause any effects. Same with these inhalers. I'm not signing it.

Lion Laboratories also calculated that to raise the breath or blood, alcohol level from zero to the UK legal limit for driving, a 70kg man would need to take over 5500 actuations of the inhaler product in less than 30 minutes. This equates to around 27 containers.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
The amount of alcohol is tiny and most of it gets exhaled anyway, I don't really see the problem. Its all about the dosage. you dont complain about various heavy metals and poisons in your drinking water because they are below the threshhold to cause any effects. Same with these inhalers. I'm not signing it.
Well yeah, that's great for a 70kg man - but what about a foetus that's only a few millimeters or less?

Also I'm pretty sure quite a few people have complained about the content of drinking water before.

Chilly

Balls of steel
People complain about aliens taking them away in the night, it doesnt mean there is anything to it.

As for the foetus argument, you could say the same for the vast majority of drugs, I bet.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
His point is that your point is utter bollocks.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
isnt asthma just all in your head anyway?

if its all iin ur head then im a mental. Had it all my life anything like dust smoking deodret will set me off and il need five mins to get my breathing nack to normal so i can asure u its not in my head :)

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
Well yeah, that's great for a 70kg man - but what about a foetus that's only a few millimeters or less?

Also I'm pretty sure quite a few people have complained about the content of drinking water before.

The tiny amount of alcohol is diluted to the point of homeopathic medicine by the 60kg woman's large reservoir of blood.

Something like this would never be allowed to be introduced, let alone developed or would come with large warnings and never be prescribed to pregnant women if this were the case.

Research also suggests that those who consume a regular low intake of alcohol live longer and have better health (though its a very hard thing to study and to control for individual differences, etc.) so, could do people good, you just don't know.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
We all know online petitions never achieve anything anyway.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The tiny amount of alcohol is diluted to the point of homeopathic medicine by the 60kg woman's large reservoir of blood.

Something like this would never be allowed to be introduced, let alone developed or would come with large warnings and never be prescribed to pregnant women if this were the case.

Research also suggests that those who consume a regular low intake of alcohol live longer and have better health (though its a very hard thing to study and to control for individual differences, etc.) so, could do people good, you just don't know.

I believe that study is misleading. since most people in this country drink at least a small amount on a fairly regular basis, its the same as concluding that those who eat only a small amount of cyanide regularly live longer than those who eat a large amount of cyanide regularly.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
These alcohol inhalers do come with a warning on the label that says it is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women and they should consult their doctor before using - but if they do consult their doctor there isn't anything their doctor can do because there is nothing else to prescribe.

Will

/bin/su
The amount in a puff of an inhaler isn't going to kill a baby, in the same way that eating coq au vin isn't going to kill your baby.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
These alcohol inhalers do come with a warning on the label that says it is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women and they should consult their doctor before using - but if they do consult their doctor there isn't anything their doctor can do because there is nothing else to prescribe.

There are plenty, my gas inhaler doesn't have alcohol in. A few years ago i had a powder based one that you cranked then inhaled.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I believe that study is misleading. since most people in this country drink at least a small amount on a fairly regular basis, its the same as concluding that those who eat only a small amount of cyanide regularly live longer than those who eat a large amount of cyanide regularly.

I think its been conducted elsewhere as well and they've controlled things with non-drinkers too.

Light drinkers vs. non-drinkers and heavy drinkers tend to have lower CV disease and other health benefits..

..though its all clouded a bit as the data is difficult to interpret and control for.
(Non drinkers are now often divided into non-drinkers, recent ex-drinkers and long-term ex-drinkers: Recent ex-drinkers tend to have given up drinking due to serious health concerns)

Alcohol and cardiovascular health: the razor-sharp...[J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007] - PubMed Result

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
the new inhalers have primarily been designed because of poor inhaler technique with the old style CFC gas ones. They have never been very effective at delivering the drug where it needs to be (ie, your broncioles) as the propellant gas is so powerful it pretty much blasts the back of your throat and stays there - also leaving a nasty taste in your mouth. The technique with these inhalers is pointless, as no matter how good your timing is, you're never gonna get a decent amount to your lungs.
The old style disk and powder halers have been phased out for the same reason. No gas propellant, but a fine micro powder. All well and good until it hits the most interior of your mouth and throat where it sticks to any surface it can.
The new inhalers are 'breath actuated.' This means that you can use them without having to worry about pressing and breathing in at the same time as the action of taking a deep breath creates a vacumn that delivers the drug.

TBH, the BEST way to take an inhaler is via a spacer, or if you have on, a nebuliser.....but I won;t bore you all with the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom