News Whaling Petition

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Whales: Final Push To Stop The Hunt

Its easier if I just post the text straight from the website.

-----

In days, the International Whaling Commission will gather in Agadir, Morocco to vote on a proposal that would legalize commercial whale hunting for the first time since 1986.

The global public is against this proposal, but pro-whaling countries are pushing for it hard. Let's make sure our voices are heard.

Avaaz has a team on the ground in Agadir setting up billboards, publishing front-page newspaper ads, and building a giant, constantly-updating petition counter to show that the world's people oppose whale slaughter.

Let's give this campaign a massive boost! Help reach 1 million signatures -- sign the petition below, and pass it along to everyone you know:

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
Done and posted on Facebook to pass on the message :power:

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
A million people? Yeah that really shows the global public is behind the petition doesn't it??

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Woohoo! Looking forward to whale meat at the fish counters in Tesco. Mind you, they're not fish, so I suppose they'd be on meat. At least it's not dolphins. That would be a really grey area....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
More dolphins than whales. I'd be less opposed...

Gumbo

FH is my second home
But the whale meat tastes soooo good. Dolphin on the other hand I can take or leave.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Dog meat tastes a lot better than whale.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I was tempted to make in the original post a comment about ze trolling but its much more effective to just let people make obvious high-larious follow-up posts and show themselves up ;)

So just go sign the petition already :p

Gumbo

FH is my second home

I'm not eating troll, are you mad?

I'm quite serious though, if the stocks have recovered sufficiently, then why not? We take all sorts from the sea, what makes the whales special, apart from their mournful expression? Properly regulated, they can be a valuable resource. I agree with the initial ban, as we had almost hunted most species to extinction, but some have recovered now, and a certain amount of controlled commercial whaling would be perfectly sustainable.

Unless you're a vegan, then getting upset about regulated and controlled whaling is more than a smidge hypocritical.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Trouble is Gumbo, a nation can quite happily over-whale to there hearts content and ignore quotas.

"we don't recognise your quotas"

"who are you to tell us what to do?"

"what you going do about it"

And nations have quite clearly shown that they do not give two tosses about the negative publicity.

georgie

FH is my second home
tumbleweed.jpg

:p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't see any difference between hunting whales, and keeping cows in a field.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can't remember the last time I saw a cow harpooned then dragged into a ship to be butchered alive.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I think that's because Matt Stone and Trey Parker have kidnapped all the manateas.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I can't remember the last time I saw a cow harpooned then dragged into a ship to be butchered alive.

You should visit an abattoir. Cows don't shit steaks.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I used to live next door to one...

If you are seriously saying that harpooning a whale then literally butchering it to death and (relatively) humanely killing a cow are the same then you are even more retarded than previously thought.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No, what I'm saying is that I really don't care. Go and campaign about battery hens if animal rights is your thing. There are plenty of whales to be eaten.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
Cattle take 9 months to produce young and are protected by humans; Whales take over a year and are generally not protected by humans. Cattle have a better survival rate and if you look at the stats for the fishing industry we as a race have not really managed our depredations on the oceanic stocks; if we had then Grimsby would still be a thriving fishing port and you wouldn't be offered basa and pollack as a cheap alternative at your local supermarket.

I think that the sentience or otherwise of whales is a separate issue; let's make sure we don't run out of whales to find out.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I'm quite prepared to be hypocritical about this; cows are essentially domestic animals and are farmed (so stock can be closely managed), whales are wild and hunted; industrialised farming is often ethically bad but nevertheless necessary; industrialised hunting is ethically and economically worse (you only have to look at the North Sea to see that stocks are not well managed), and in the case of whales, unneccessary.

There was a time when whaling served a purpose and whale oil in particular was a key industrial good; that time has long since passed.

Bottom line is we do enough damage to biodiversity unintentionally; why make it deliberately worse if we don't need to?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agreed. There's a whole stack of differences between hunting whales and farming cattle.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They'll hunt the whales whether a million people sign this petition or not. Only public outcry from the people of the nations that want to hunt will change anything.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

They are not farming the whales. If they were, and killed them humanely I would share your view.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They'll hunt the whales whether a million people sign this petition or not. Only public outcry from the people of the nations that want to hunt will change anything.

Public outcry from other areas of the planet, particularly in the west, made western governments put pressure on other governments to ban the whaling.

I blame western governments for not keeping up that pressure for the current situation...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, maybe, but you'd need closer to a billion on a petition for that to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom