Petition for Gordon Brown to resign

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My mate who bought a house a few years ago and then took the piss because I decided against spending way over the realistic price and buying one too has lost nearly £20k, I would be feeling incredibly smug about it if he wasn't a mate. I can't quite help saying "I told you so" though.
I have no debts at all now, aside from a couple of hundred in arrears to N-Power, due to them fucking up my readings.

People should have seen that houses were vastly overpriced and there would be a time in the not to distant future that it would all come crashing down.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Too many people have been sucking each other's dicks for too long over the values of their houses.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My mate who bought a house a few years ago and then took the piss because I decided against spending way over the realistic price and buying one too has lost nearly £20k, I would be feeling incredibly smug about it if he wasn't a mate. I can't quite help saying "I told you so" though.
I have no debts at all now, aside from a couple of hundred in arrears to N-Power, due to them fucking up my readings.

People should have seen that houses were vastly overpriced and there would be a time in the not to distant future that it would all come crashing down.

He hasn't lost anything unless he wants to sell. People are far too short-termist about the value of their houses. So long as you're smart, pick a good location where demand is always high and its difficult to build new houses (e.g. London), you'll be fine so long as you're patient.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

He hasn't lost anything, in a few years his house will be worth more than what he paid, he'll have a house, you won't.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Agreed with Tom and Gaff.

My flat is lovely and it's my home, if it's worth less than what I paid, it's not a big deal in the short term unless i want to sell. If it stays the same price, then well, it's my home :) - I need a home.

Like I said, there's been much mutual cock sucking on how much people have made on properties, but then everyone else's property has gone up along with it, cancelling out the money they make.

That said, if you had the vast capital required and gambled at the start of the boom and sold a property for £100k later, then great for you.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He hasn't lost anything unless he wants to sell. People are far too short-termist about the value of their houses. So long as you're smart, pick a good location where demand is always high and its difficult to build new houses (e.g. London), you'll be fine so long as you're patient.

He has had to sell, otherwise he wouldn't have lost anything. He moved in with his girlfriend (soon to be wife) and couldn't get rent to cover the mortgage.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He hasn't lost anything, in a few years his house will be worth more than what he paid, he'll have a house, you won't.

Actually, I do. A 400 year old cottage that leaks in winter and faces the wrong way in the summer and is probably worth sod all, I wouldn't change it for anything :)

DaGaffer

He has had to sell, otherwise he wouldn't have lost anything. He moved in with his girlfriend (soon to be wife) and couldn't get rent to cover the mortgage.

I refer the honorable gentleman to my line about location. And I'm confused*; if he could afford the mortgage when he was single, why can't he afford part of a mortgage (offset by rent) now? If you'd said he'd been made redundant or something, fair enough, but moving in with someone else usually creates spare cash, not the other way around.

*actually I'm not really confused, but I don't want to get into a debate about how he lost £20K because he wanted to, not because he had to.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I have a shared ownership house with the local housing association. They own half and I own half. I had a nice deposit so I only had to borrow 60% on mortgage (that's 60% of the 50%, or 30% of the whole house price).
I have a HOME and a roof over my head. I didn't buy into the house to make money. I bought into the house so that *I* was my own landlord and had somewhere for my family to live.

There's far more to wanting Gordon Brown out of office than the economy though... it's the continuation of the whole sleaze and smear mentality of Govt. If you are in Labour's way, they either smear you, discredit you or unleash the media on you. This thing with his advisor in the last week or so just underlines that it was "the done thing" in No10.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Gordon Brown isn't the only bad egg in this current Government, yes he has made a lot of mistakes but it was going down hill as Blair left and Browns new group are pretty awful at best.

One thing though, what other choices (realistically) do we have over Brown? I'm really loathed to put Conservatives in with Cameron at the helm and Lib Dem's and others are really not even worth the effort of writing a reason why they are not vote worthy.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Or even more sensibly buy a house you want to live in and then live in it and be happy with it. Property as an asset is the problem and that's not Brown's fault, that 100% Thatcherism at work.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Dude - Thatcher hasn't been in power for 19 years. Let it go :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
One thing though, what other choices (realistically) do we have over Brown? I'm really loathed to put Conservatives in with Cameron at the helm and Lib Dem's and others are really not even worth the effort of writing a reason why they are not vote worthy.

That's my issue with everyone slating Labour. They're the least worst of an absoutely god awful bunch.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
That's my issue with everyone slating Labour. They're the least worst of an absoutely god awful bunch.
This is the problem, when the grass doesn't even appear green on the other side what alternative is there. Has Cameron ever given an clear idea on where he stands on anything or what his alternative policies would be, rather than just trying to hide his too right wing to be palatable core.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anyone voting to try and keep Labour in at the next election is a retard. They've been in too long. Any government that's in too long fucks things up, simple.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Not being funny Aoami, but you're hardly old enough to make a qualified decision on that. You were ten when Labour got in and, unless you're some sort of freaky child prodigy who kept up on Politics pre-teens, then I don't see how you can possibly say that with any authority.

Looks like you've heard someone you trust say it, and believed them.

DaGaffer

Not being funny Aoami, but you're hardly old enough to make a qualified decision on that. You were ten when Labour got in and, unless you're some sort of freaky child prodigy who kept up on Politics pre-teens, then I don't see how you can possibly say that with any authority.

Ooh, that makes me feel uncomfortable, I agree with you, even though you're being really patronising ;)

Vae

Resident Freddy
I'm very middle of the road but Labour have been in far too long and it's made them arrogant.

Same happened with Ken as London Mayor. Whether Boris is better or not is debateable but he seems to have some of the right ideas i.e. cutting some of the crap money-wasting schemes Ken set-up.

Regarding Labour vs Conservatives in power, from what I can remember when the Conservatives lost the '97 election a lot of the scandals were concerning them screwing around e.g. David Mellor etc. In comparison the Labour scandals seem to be about them screwing us and the country. I know which I prefer.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
He won't resign. He'll stay in until the next general election. It will make no difference how many signatures there are.

He has wanted to be PM for a long time. He won't just throw it away just like that

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, of course not, but if it gets enough signatures then it may make the Beeb, which at least will make most of the country chuckle :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure no one expected for a second he'd resign, I guess the most one could hope for was some press attention on the poll.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Yeah but we're not talking about what the Conservatives did pre-Tony Blair, it's what they would do now. At 21 i'm more than capable of following the news/reading up on politics.

David Cameron seem's to me to be a man of little to no substance, who would rather attack the Labour Government then put forward any good policies of his own. Why? Because a large majority of his policies are the same as Labours. I can understand to a degree why his party does it, because unfortunately that seems to be how politics works, but he's got such a perfect opportunity to absolutely destroy Labour at the next election that i'd like to see something more than just a few insults here and there.

The Lib Dem's arn't even worth thinking about because they'll never get in power.

I do understand where you're coming from, because I am young, but don't be so patronising... just because i'm young doesn't mean i'm stupid :p

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Labour/Conservatives are basically the same party anyway, they don't at all represent what their causes were when they were set up.
David Cameron will make just as many stupid decisions as Brown does if he gets into power, and then labour will take up the conservatives current stance and everything will be the same as before except for a few tiny changes which make no difference in the long run.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wasn't trying to be patronising (which is why I qualified my statement with a "not trying to be funny"). It's quite evident that you're not stupid. But I'll apologise for that anyway, before digging a bigger hole for myself. Soz :)

However, I stand by the assessment...

I was talking with a friend of mine this weekend on just this very subject. We both agreed that whilst both of us are intelligent and could see what was going on when we were younger, we simply lacked enough life experience to "get it right", so to speak.

We came round to the opinion that when people reach about 25 years old that's about the first time in your life that you've got enough about you to really have a good pop at things...

We were no exception. You think and do some bloody silly things when you're younger - and it still happens when you're older, just less so :)

The problem now is, I was looking forward to porking naive young students when I got older. Figured that I'd have the "wherewithall" to be able to breeze through any conversation and look cool and sexy in front of 'em. Whilst I'd be the first to admit I haven't quite hit those heights there's a bigger problem that's reared it's head: When they start talking I'd rather put my fist in their mouths than my cock - they're just too damn young. :(

Nice bodies tho ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
We were no exception. You think and do some bloody silly things when you're younger - and it still happens when you're older, just less so :)

pfft, speak for yourself..... :p

my "silly brainfart" moments seems to be going up with my age, not down :(

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Well put it this way...

Unemployment going up
National debt going up
Council services being cut back
Threatened energy shortages
Unions going on strikes
The Govt losing touch with all public opinion

Am I talking about 2009 or 1978?
The same descriptions apply to both years.

Oh yeah... the Labour Govt lost power in 1979. What are the chances of the same happening again in 2010? I'm old enough to remember the "Winter of Discontent" and EVEN THEN I vowed never to vote Labour. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For me the argument is simple:

Labour = we'll do it for you. Don't worry about it, we're in control.

Conservative = do it yourself, if you don't you've only yourself to blame.

Its a simple philosophical difference and I'm very much in the latter camp.

DaGaffer

For me the argument is simple:

Labour = we'll do it for you. Don't worry about it, we're in control.

Conservative = do it yourself, if you don't you've only yourself to blame.

Its a simple philosophical difference and I'm very much in the latter camp.

Except its not really true is it? The Tories are nearly as statist as NuLab, they just express it in different ways. The Big Brother tendency seems to be a feature of the British establishment no matter who's in power. Personally I don't think the banking crisis would have been any different under the Tories, and they'd have just as enthusiastically followed the US lead on the War on TerrorTM.

Having said that, Labour still have to go (as Meg said, any party in power too long fucks it up), LibDems are a non-starter, so Tories it is, just because they're not the other lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom