Ask me your NDA breaking questions!

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie
A couple of questions sure to get asked but I'll cover them quickly here:

"Wtf is the chicken system?"

If you go over the maximum rank for a tier the moment you flag your self for RvR in that zone you turn in to a chicken. I have NO IDEA how this will effect the Open RvR servers. But frankly I don't give a toss I'm going core the game is built with that in mind and you know what? It works all the better for it.

"Is GOAs service shit in the beta?"

No.

Magnus sorted out the keys for my self and my guild. Now the poor guy had 17 bounce back after my first e-mail and helped me sort things out adding keys individualy each day and constantly updating me when that was done. When we got in the beta patches were prompt. We were apparently less than 12-24hrs behind the Guild CB in the US. Updates were prompt from them when there was going to be down time. They worked outside of office hours to get the server restarted when need be (often!). They are now keeping us updated on class revamps that are due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. While they aren't constantly posting on the forums every single day. I can safely say there isn't a week where we go devoid of any info. I've had a much better experiance in this beta than I did with the WoW CB.

So to the doom-mongers I say:

Get off GOAs back!

What forms of crowd control are there and is the RvR as good/challenging as DAoCs?

Minimal, each class appears to have at least one snare (MDPS have a ranged snare they can apply on runners), one knockback (RDPS tends to be morale based, support/tanks have one trained), one root. The idea is to have the tank apply the snares, debuffs and be a general hinderance (share damage with group members) while the ranged nuke at a safe distance and the MDPS do their best to disrupt the healing. Each class has a fitting role unique to their class. One vs one will be imbalanced but as a group it's feels well constructed.

Are Squig Herders as good as i hope they are? Can you post lots of Screenies?

Screenies I'll upload later. SH, personaly, I don't like them. But I haven't spent much time with them. While you can move and shoot at the same time (though at a limited ranged 65yards I believe) they feel somewhat weaker compared to the powerhouse BW/Sorc and unlike the Eng/Magus combo who we know are getting massive revamps so they live up to their name of defensive caster. SH only appears to be getting a buff to their path of stabbin'. They play, well it's hard to say. They are much more mobile, easy to change position. They are like the hit and run of casters. Pet AI needs a LOT of work done though. Fundimenty it's hit and miss a majority of the time.

How good is the PvP? ON a ratio of:

DAoC old school -------------------------- WoW crappy PvP

It's very focused on RvR, battles are huge! Forts can take up to a hr to overrun (depends on how balanced the defence is, one keep battle in T2 took over 40 mins!) Zergs are common at the moment. But a focused group of 6 could easily take down a zerg PUG of 10-12 dependent on skill.

Don't expect DAoC, it feels somewhere between the responsiveness of WoW and the focus on large warband combat that DAoC had. I enjoy it very much but I can only give you my personal opinion. If I was forced to give it a rating (my past experiances: 3 months properly RvRing in DAoC, 3 months in EVE, 14 months in Neocron, WoW before the Honour system various other MMOs) it'd be a 6-8/10. There are still class balances to address. But unlike AoC we are seeing that contantly. Mythic don't give a toss about REALLY shaking things up to see what happens. Forts and zergs are still something often debated and no doubt will be till the end of time. :p

There is no being locked down for an extensive ammount of time, there is no stun locking like a moron. Every class feels, potentialy, like they have a role. No one is pigeon holed in to forfilling any set role they are all adaptable. Example: Sorc - I can spec to focus fire and nuke down healers, or spec AoE and intimidate the front lines pushing people back through the zone. Some classes like DoK need to spec, in some way, damage to build the essence at a more respectable speed or spec towards healing and heal more effectively quickly but for less often due to your lack of essence.

What appeal does this game have over say WoW, for you as a player, what made you think (if anything at all did) that this game was something far better and far more interesting that world of warclick

Fair question considering the people looking at coming over.

- Classes. In short, they feel like they were made for fighting first and PvE second. All your skills are useful, taunt works on people, de-taunt works on people, everyone has a class role and as I said previously you're not pigeon holed to do a certain job in a certain way all of the time. You can mix it up constantly.
- No down time, no pissing about just get in and get on with it. Mastery respecs are free, so are renown respecs, tactics can be moved about and presets made.
- RvR enviroment. Each zone feels diffrent from the next, as you expand up the tiers they really become a bigger contrast. Example
-- Chaos Vs Order - Town fighting is the meal of the day, lots of back alleys to duck down to lose your persuers, lots of places to set up an ambush, MPDS & Eng/Magus will have lots of fun here.
-- Dark Elf vs High Elf - Lots of high roads and low roads. Bit un popular at the moment due to the small server numbers. Will likey be hell for anyone who isn't a caster.
-- Stuntie vs Greenskin - Massive wide open spaces, suits the zerg, expect many hit and runs from small groups. All the BOs are in precarious positions to make your life hell.
- No exessive CC, While there is knock backs (knocking someone off a cliff ftw.) You will be never stunlocked to death while the melee DPS beat 7 shades out of you. You will never be rooted excessively so you're almost instantly dead.
- TTK (Time to Kill), is much higher than WoW. You won't be one shot. If a class uses all their burst damage and morale abilities you still end up with 20-30% of your health giving you a chance to bolt for an exit or your group member to save your life. You never feel like you were rendered useless so you couldn't fight back.
- Senarios aka instances to everyone else. Now while these don't appeal to everyone some are just bloody good fun! Enviromental hazards make the fights change often. As well as the varied objectives give you a break from capturing keeps... Which brings me on to...
- World PvP. I could write an essay on how much fun this can be with mates! But remember that SS to TM zerg that happened all the time before the Honour system and BGs? Take that kind of raw fun, add XP, add renown, add capturable BOs & add keeps. Yeah you get the idea. :)
- PQs. To be fair some of these can be a little hit and miss. Some feel very refined and have some cool events (see the first greenskin one). Many consist of 'kill 100 mobs', kill these named mobs, kill this boss. But there are so many of them (3-5 a zone at least) it breaks things up often for you so you can jump in before going to work, get a bit of influence (think rep grinds only a hell of a lot quicker) and jump back out.
- Gear. Odd one this. Now if you've played WoW you will look like the missing member of the village people till level 60/70 and you've got your first dungeon set. With WAR your first renown set looks like the concept art for your class. Then as you gain the levels and move through tiers you add to that inital coolness then simply your outline in the distance will let people know what class you are. Each class will stand out simply from their stance and gear make up. Obviously when you move in closer and they see you wearing the ripped out spine of their friend will they turn tail and run. :)

Sorry if this is a bit of a mix mash of ideas but I tried to cram in every point that stood out to me on my inital play! :p

which class solo's group contant the best?
which class has the highest DPS?
which class has the highest burst/spike damage?

are there any classes that so far are considered to be better at pvp than any of the others?

in your opinion is the best ability/spell and why?

- No class can solo phase III PQ's. At all.
- Should be, according to the devs, the Melee DPS so Witch Hunter & Witch Elves.
- Again Witch Hunter & Witch Elves. But have next to no defenses and get cut down by tanks very easily so it's very much hit & run once you are out of burst damage. Though the testers consider that to be the BW/Sorc atm. But you have to build 100/100 dark magic (5 seconds minimum if your cooldowns are up) and have your morale built to stage 1 at least (roughly 10 seconds in group combat). Oh and have above 50% health in preperation for backlashes! :D
- Err. Not really! Melee DPS get it easy in world RvR. Ranged have an easy life in Keep defence. It sounds like you are looking for a class you can solo all the content and wander about as a lone wolf in RvR. I'll tell you now, this game isn't for you. You will get a pounding very quickly if you don't operate as a team.
- Anything that has a KB! Though I quite like the BW/Sorc AoE spells it upsets the zerg. :>

Do either of the sides look like they may be overpopulated at this early stage?

Can you give more details on the various abilities of the healer classes please

At the moment Destruction is over populated every day it's a 300/260 balance at the moment. But we all have templates to create level 31 toons so we can switch sides as we see fit.

All healers have:
A HoT, a small direct heal continued with a hot, a large heal, Buffs/Debuff. Their trees are split in to dmg/heals/buffs, but each tree has at least one damage spell & healing spell to compensate for that lay out. Then on top of that a unique class mechanic.

The Shammy mechanic (ranged healer) is: When he casts damage spells can reduce the cast times on his heals to make them instant and visa versa (cast heals, dmg spells are instants).
The DoK (Melee healer) mechanic is: They need to damage enemys to build up a pool of essence to cast heals. But these heals tend to have very short cast times and I think they tend to effect the people in the vicinity rather than a target (need to check on that).

Basicly. They are unique. ;)

Is it fun?

Yes. Compared to AoC, while it has it's fair share of issues (Lag due to a poor test server, CtDs which are being rectified in patches being released this week some quests are broken but being fixed server side almost every day now). Nothing makes the game totaly unplayable. Oh yeah and there is content from rank 31-40. ;)

Details on the White Lion class please.

Does the pet start out small and does it grow as it lvls (gets older)

No, the pet gains armour and slowly looks more menacing, I'm not sure on the growth.

The class is able to spec in three ways: Improving your own damage, a balance between your self & your pet or improving your pet damage. The class plays a bit like a WH, many of your skills require to behind or to the side of your target to do additional damage/apply debuffs/ignore armour. They also gain a pounce ability, which apparently, means you can leap over tanks. They don't play like your conventional MDPS you'd see in WoW or LoTRO. You tend to instigate chaos within the ranged ranks, are able to sprint after runners but still able to take a bit of a battering. It's a class that needs to be experianced to be understood. They do have one glaring issue at the moment. Pet AI.

It's dire. It's something you can bite your lip about in PvE but in RvR at the moment you lion break dances on the spot while you run in to combat all too often. Mythic have promised to have this cleared up by release though and to be fair they have managed to rectify issues when they said they would previously.

Any info on crafting? What level can you start - is there grinding - will everyone be crafting or will it be for the dedicated only?

Thanks

Only Apocothary is in at the moment. You can start it at rank 1 if you like, just make your way to the chapter two camp (zones are split in to tiers and within each tier is chapters, basicly hubs with quests relating to the on going story in that zone). The gathering skills are all in though (including cultivating).

Yes there is grinding, in a way, I scavange most of my materials from dead humanoids. It tends to give me enough mats to level my skills from just wandering around the zone completing quests. But the step from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is too big at the moment. Most of the items go from requiring skill levels of 1, 10, 15, 25 to 50, 75 very quickly leaving you with quite a gap. Thus making it difficult to tell at later levels if you are really required to be dedicated.

btw whats your system specs? so i can get an idea of what i can expect on mine

Core 2 E7200, 4GB ram, 9800GTX (XFX Black edition card, the o/ced one :p), SATA HD (16mb cache, 7200 RPM). It's going to be hard to say what it will feel like in beta remember we've got debuggers and various other things inside the client causing havok. Most of the time it runs fine somewhere between 60-70 FPS, but in big zergs drops to 25-40.

is there a stat system

Strength
Ballistic Skill
Intelegence
Toughness
Weapon Skill
Initive
Willpower
Wounds

How are the zones split? and what is the "mob con" system like? Standard DAoC blue>purple or a different type?

- There is zoning between the tiers. Tiers them selfs are split in to two zones. But they take about 20 mins to walk from top to bottom at least. Slight zone lag at the moment moving between the two zones inside the tier.
- Mob con system is ripped from DAoC. :p

Is the warrior priest as bad ass as it should be?

It hits reasonably hard on cloth and heals. It's what a paladin should be!

how well does the "collision system" work... or whatever it may be called I'm wondering how much this will actually effect RvR or influence the game in general. I think pretty much, tho I've never even played the game

It works, it can have an effect but most appear to be using the LOL ZERG tactic employed by WoW. I've seen a couple of videos of chosen tanks blocking bridges and crushing their attackers from behind via melee DPS. So. Well it works. :p

Do we get surnames in WAR like we did at lvl 10 in DAoC?

There is a map filter for that NPC but I can't see him. :(

----

how does character customisation work?
like dye for armour etc.

its there lots of unique weapon looks or not?

You get a few slots for gimmicks, they unlock every 10 ranks. Haven't seen many yet though I saw a vendor selling them for a unspecified token. Armour can be dyed, usually has two a two tone look you can customize on most items.

Weapons. Hmm not really. Not thing that stands out they tend to suit your class and tend to be a bit tame for the time being. I've only seen the renown rewards so far though.

undivied

Fledgling Freddie
What class should i pick, Engineer or Shadow warrior?

what is more fun to play

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
As the US NDA has been lifted (and I assume it is ok to relate to experiences of US beta testers), theres a lot of info from across the pond now in the public domain which may or may not be applicable to the EU and therefore may or may not be of interest.

One insightful and well put together thread which caught my eye was a class comparison which made career selection a headache (a nice headache - picking one class appears to be kinda like being in the sweet shop with limited funds :)).

Another is the Wardb database which has a useful career builder (under tools) and comprehensive abilities subsection.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Good point, Tilda if you're still around (or whomever can answer)

Is the SHAMAN actually a fun class to play? I LOVED them in DAoC (Had 6-7 of them..) and WoW I had a couple.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Is the SHAMAN actually a fun class to play? I LOVED them in DAoC (Had 6-7 of them..) and WoW I had a couple.

They are kinda overpowered right now,they pretty flexible alright,guess you could call them fun aswell.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
White Lion screens please :)

Here's one with his lion,best one i could get as the lion has tendence to face away from the camera. I think that the lion grows when you level but since we only could start at lvl 31 on this beta phase i can't say for sure.

They also get few "intresting" skills

RL=http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dunkaf004pz0.jpg]

Tilda

Good point, Tilda if you're still around (or whomever can answer)

Yes they're great fun!
They whirl their staff around squeeling its actually hysterical to watch and very fun to play.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie

Here's one with his lion,best one i could get as the lion has tendence to face away from the camera.

dunkaf004pz0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overdriven

Cheers for the shaman funness.

Downanael: That background looks lovely :(

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
What class should i pick, Engineer or Shadow warrior?

what is more fun to play

I'd say SW, more mobile and seems to do (alot) better all round, also it has more CC than any other class iirc.
But can't say which is more fun to play as that depends on what you want out of the class but personally I find SW better as both DPS and a support role in the group.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Here's one with his lion,best one i could get as the lion has tendence to face away from the camera.

dunkaf004pz0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ty, the graphics look pretty nice too.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie

Here's one with his lion,best one i could get as the lion has tendence to face away from the camera. Say if you want anything else.

They get some intresting skills aswell :p

Greenskin keep,pretty unique i say

Tilda

And heres a few screenies from the EU servers.

1) When the white lion was first introduced, very popular :D

2) Friends outside a moody Praag

3) Trying Witch Elf for the first time

4) Two Iron breakers and a Warrior priest getting stuck into a good book. (Recalling to bind)

Attachments

• Tildi^F_000.jpg
    Tildi^F_000.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Tilda^F_001.jpg
    Tilda^F_001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Tildia^F_000.jpg
    Tildia^F_000.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Tildorf^F_004.jpg
    Tildorf^F_004.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 68

ileks

Part of the furniture
Ileks YES! Tell me! *Will be playing the shaman*

What are their roles?
Good at solo PvP/Group RvR?
What is leveling like with them?
How is the group-factor with shamans/how group friendly are they?
Any utilised for RvR/PvE specs you can recommend? What specs have what effect?
Are they usefull in large-scale RvR? (I can imagine so, from what I've read)
Do they get anything 'special'? (Can't define special)

1. Roles: Well this is up to you, but from my experience you are a better healer than DPS'er. Nothing will annoy a tank more than a shaman trying to nuke and not healing them :) I haven't played a zealot properly, but i'm pretty sure their group heal is in a different spec line to their main single target heal. This could mean the shaman is a better all round healer. Your DPS will be much much lower than a sorcerer, especially at higher levels, although i have a feeling sorcs may be getting a nerf soon.

2. The shaman is far better in a group of 6 than solo. I found myself getting spanked by melee classes nearly every time i met one 1v1, untill i got "Gork sez stop!" :england: Basically if they dont realise what is going on and keep chasing you its free realm points :) Trouble is its a rank1 morale ability, so you will have to survive for a little and lay down some DPS before you can use it.
In group RvR I find it best to make healing my main priority, then assist the sorc/DPS tank when no one is getting blown up :)

3. Levelling is fine with the shaman, i got to 21 without any issues. I was specced in the DPS line though, i think it would be a lot slower as a heal specced shaman.

At 40 you get 25 mastery points to spend. I found the best spec was definitely a split between path of Mork and Gork(DPS and Healing). The damage spec had some nice abilities that might be worth getting such as an AOE spell which you dont get as standard. Perhaps something like 11 Mork / 11 Gork with the other 3 points spent on abilities? Up to you really, but i definetely reccommend a split spec between damage and heals. Maybe invest in damage first to speed the levelling progress, but dont get carried away as to gimp your heals- you will need them more and more when bright wizards get more powerfull! :D

I really enjoyed the shaman. They are a right sneaky little class that will make you laugh:) Gork sez stop is just great (although it might get nerfed a bit ;p), along with "eeek!" that knocks all enemies around you backwards (and you as well, dont use it near a cliff...) :D

Dont mind answering some more questions if you like

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - does that White Lion really have a plaited beard or am I hallucinating from lack of sleep ? ;)

Overdriven

Ileks, hehe cheers for that. Sounds pretty interesting :D

1) Did you get groups pretty quickly at lower levels?
2) Was it easy to find people from other "factions" to group with? (FG orks will make me go insane!)
3) If you've played a Shaman on DAoC, how do they compare? I mean, is it a wanted class, do people ask you to join? Are you gimped if you spec a certain way (DPS leveling, Heal/DPS split for RvR seem smart :D)
4) DOES (if there are) the Ork comments/chants/ramblings get annoying?

WEEEE'RREEE ALL GONNA DIE!

rynnor

Rockhound
No beards for elfs :p that's just his hair.

I meant his pet in the first screenie - he has a plait looking thing hanging off his/her chin - I wonder that the elves dont tie pretty pink bows in it - that would be their style :p

rynnor

Rockhound

Just read up on that - apparently groups are 'Open' by default and when you move to an area that has an open group it tells you then you add yourself in - sounds good :)

Tilda

2) Was it easy to find people from other "factions" to group with? (FG orks will make me go insane!)
3) If you've played a Shaman on DAoC, how do they compare? I mean, is it a wanted class, do people ask you to join? Are you gimped if you spec a certain way (DPS leveling, Heal/DPS split for RvR seem smart :D)
4) DOES (if there are) the Ork comments/chants/ramblings get annoying?

WEEEE'RREEE ALL GONNA DIE!

1) Yep, the open party concept is great. Always people to group with and your UI lets you know if the open parties in your area and what they're doing. (Open parties, anybody can just join your group without requesting an invite unless you close it.)

2) Yes, port to other faction, presto.

3) Less buffing and group support, more heals and action/dps.
4) Nope, I've played dwarf charachters for the last year in closed beta (orcs are similar) and I'm still hearing new dwarf catchphrases that make me chuckle.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Just read up on that - apparently groups are 'Open' by default and when you move to an area that has an open group it tells you then you add yourself in - sounds good :)

It is a damn fine invention,do you want to rvr and don't have a grp? just click on a button and see what groups are nearby,same works for PvE. No more shouting on LFG channel

rynnor

Rockhound
It is a damn fine invention,do you want to rvr and don't have a grp? just click on a button and see what groups are nearby,same works for PvE. No more shouting on LFG channel

Its good for retail as completely new people sometimes were a bit slow to work out how to group in other mmo's but its also aimed at the public quests - for example theres a kill 15 of X public quest in your area - can all join up n complete together for decent reward.

ileks

Part of the furniture
No class will have any problems getting groups while they level honestly. PQ's encourage it so much. Every time I've been doing a PQ with a guildy random people have just joined us via the open party system its great :) Maybe at rank40 people will get fussy i dont know.

i reckon you can fly out to another zone at about level 7 or 8 ish. Well technically you can at level 1 but there's not much point :) Each zone will have a mix of classes at higher levels (15+) due to people hunting quests. Some send you to other races zones anyway.

Robot

Fledgling Freddie
Here is a few screenies ive took over the past month in beta:

Robotxkeeptake.jpg

keep1.jpg

RobotxPraag.jpg

Insideelfkeep.jpg

RobotxDungeon.jpg

Autokarmachicken.jpg

AutokarmaM_012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom