Alternative infil spec !?

A

Arthwyr

Ok dont laugh at this one hehe but i was playing with the character builder and I just want to gather some thoughts on this.

Right now I am

50Thrust
34 Cs
33 Envenom
35 Stealth
35 Dualwield

With sc gear and my RR thats a nice + 17 on all stats. PA hits for 715 with a guarded rapier so that would do for damage. After playing around I came up with this.

50 Thrust
39 Slash (yea you read me right)
33 Stealth
34 CS
30 Envenom (who needs lifebane the 47 debuff works fine)
8 DW (with duelist reflexes 3+ this could be nice enough)

Or (this needs some autotraining but not much)

50 Thrust
44 CS
39 Slash
30 Stealth
20 envenom (+17 still give you 2nd best debuf)
1 Dw

The idea would be to make similar quickbars equiping them with the main hand weapon (determining the styles you can use slash/thrust) Keep the evade chains on the same place on all bars and just swap slash/thrust styles accordign to the weapon you put on the bar.

So imagine lining up for a pa with a big slasher in your mainhand and a jambiya offhand. If you hit PA np he will already have had the stun effect so you wont be needing dragonfang anymore and you just finnish him off maybe swap the mainhand for another weapon for the extra poison.

Other scenario: You miss the pa, and go to your next combat bar, keeping the slasher offhand but getting a thruster in your main hand enabling you to use your dragonfang. After dragonfang you could still move back to slashers if your handy with it and do your evade chain moves (or just spam df if your feeling lazy) but if he purges you can just move to 2 slashers again and spam amy slash at him.

Anyhow this is all in theory but it seems a more vallid spec then the "mercfiltrator" giving you alot more options at a high RR. Duelist reflexes can make up for a lot of the offhand swing chance. Your thoughts plz =) ?

A

Aybabtu

Hmmm...... could be fun to try altho i never find me standing after 3 hits so it might be abit much Qbar changing for me.....

If you do respec to this, please keep me posted on how it works :)

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Arthwyr
Your thoughts plz =) ?
Give it a try - but make sure youve a second respec stone just in case it all goes wrong ;)

B

Belomar

Originally posted by ghaladriel
:lol:
Right. Just as Powahhh likes his :puke: smilies, Ghaladriel likes to spam :lol: (and nothing else) in most of her BW replies. Don't you think a post like this warrants something more than a simple "lol"? ;)

As for the original question, I wouldn't know but it sounds interesting. :)

P

Pin

As said above. 39 slash will give you really crap weaponskill - lower than most SBs, and will be completely screwed if you get hit with an enervating.

In no circumstances will you be better off hitting with the slasher than the thruster.

And you want to have a SC template capping 6 skills? Even with putting +thrust on your thruster and +slash on your slasher and using MP gear you're going to be left short on resists.

But well... You've been living with 34CS for a while, I guess you're desperately trying to find a more gimped template?

M

m4rk

but but, then youd have to change your name from Gawain Lifebain to Gawain CompletelyNerfed :/

B

Bellona

34 stealth
50 thrust
44 cs
21 dw
35 env

and maybe one more in stealth, with stealth autotrain, so only for new infils :D

D

dual-effect

Well i haven't tried this type of spec before so i can't really say its a bad spec, It may be good in some situations.

But overall i doubt you would do very well with that spec. it looks sorta "gimpy" in my eyes.

Since u have a high rr, may i suggest a different spec that may suit u better. Focus on doing more dmg for one. Lower your stealth and envenom and raise your cs. Believe me, u will notice a LARGE difference.

But hell, its ur char, if u wanna go for a truly nutty spec, be my guest.

//Dual

M

medowind

Humm with dual speccing will your overall weapon skill be higher or less or are there 2 figures but you can only see one?

B

belth

Weapskill is dependant on the weapon you're wielding. So if you're wielding a slasher in mainhand and a thruster in offhand, the thruster would have tighter variance with that spec. Other than that, there's no "benefit", just 779 points wasted in slash.

A

Arthwyr

50 Thrust
39CS
44 Slash
30 Stealth
20 envenom (+17 still give you 2nd best debuf)
1 Dw

That's an option too, should give you nice PA damage and good melee

A

Arthwyr

Humm with dual speccing will your overall weapon skill be higher or less or are there 2 figures but you can only see one?

I'f im not mistaking the weaponskill is the sum of both the left and the right hands weaponskill, each based on its damage type and the skill in that damage. So it should just check skilllh weapon and add it up with skill rh weapon.

E

Ekydus

Even with an RA, 1 DW is suicidal. Your chance to hit with the off hand will be lowered dramatically.

Cue Pin...

A

Arthwyr

Weapskill is dependant on the weapon you're wielding. So if you're wielding a slasher in mainhand and a thruster in offhand, the thruster would have tighter variance with that spec. Other than that, there's no "benefit", just 779 points wasted in slash.

There isn't a benefit ?
Being able to PA with a 4.x speed weapon to wich a class is vunerable isnt an advantage ? How about being able to switch to slash vs a shadowblade once he purged your Df and the ability to use amy slash as an anytime style ? The spec looks more valid then the "merfiltrator" spec where one specs 50 dw just to get a style that roughly does the same damage as a dragonfang and all because you can use it anytime as long as your infront of your target. If you really want to spam a style get tireless 3 instead, spam garotte combo for the same damage as dual shades and save yourself the points you put in dw then.

A

Arthwyr

Funny how certain ppl can't post their opinion on something without adding some sort of flaming remark at the end of it. Some don't even bother with giving an opinion and just stick to adding the remark.

But well... You've been living with 34CS for a while, I guess you're desperately trying to find a more gimped template?
34 Cs gimped ? 715 Pa damage is enough 52dw+ dr2 gives me an offhand hit on most PA's/dragonfangs/hamstrings/whatever making up for the extra damage you get on the higher CS spec. Only reason why I am considering 44 cs is because of the way the game has evolved and most SB's have purge. Longer evade chain is indeed nice once a stun has been purged.

but but, then youd have to change your name from Gawain Lifebain to Gawain CompletelyNerfed :/

My name hasn't been "lifebane" for months now. And thx for your insight on the spec, oh wait, you did not give any.

S

stt_tts_sst

""There isn't a benefit ?
Being able to PA with a 4.x speed weapon to wich a class is vunerable isnt an advantage ? How about being able to switch to slash vs a shadowblade once he purged your Df and the ability to use amy slash as an anytime style ? The spec looks more valid then the "merfiltrator" spec where one specs 50 dw just to get a style that roughly does the same damage as a dragonfang and all because you can use it anytime as long as your infront of your target. If you really want to spam a style get tireless 3 instead, spam garotte combo for the same damage as dual shades and save yourself the points you put in dw then.""

obsurd...this will never ever work believe...enough siad..

G

greenfingers

don't spec slash AND thrust .. only one plz !

P

Pin

I'f im not mistaking the weaponskill is the sum of both the left and the right hands weaponskill, each based on its damage type and the skill in that damage. So it should just check skilllh weapon and add it up with skill rh weapon.

You are mistaken. Weaponskill is calculated independantly per hand.

P

Pin

Originally posted by Ekydus
Even with an RA, 1 DW is suicidal. Your chance to hit with the off hand will be lowered dramatically.

Cue Pin...

15% less chance to swing greatly reduces the haste effect of dual-wielding. This is the only benefit you gain by being able to wield a 4.1spd weapon in mainhand (and down to a 2.2spd in offhand).

P

Pin

There isn't a benefit ?
Being able to PA with a 4.x speed weapon to wich a class is vunerable isnt an advantage ? How about being able to switch to slash vs a shadowblade once he purged your Df and the ability to use amy slash as an anytime style ? The spec looks more valid then the "merfiltrator" spec where one specs 50 dw just to get a style that roughly does the same damage as a dragonfang and all because you can use it anytime as long as your infront of your target. If you really want to spam a style get tireless 3 instead, spam garotte combo for the same damage as dual shades and save yourself the points you put in dw then.

Which classes are you PAing which is Slash vulnerable and Thrust resistant? Hunters? If you PA a Hunter you don't need a bonus against their armour to win. Shadowblades? Are you regularly getting PA on a SB? Berserkers and Savages? Errr... okaaay.

As for switching to Slash vs a SB - he's going to land enervating on you. You then have 800 weaponskill with Slash or 1200 with Thrust.

Also if you PA with a 4.1spd weapon you'd better be DAMNED sure that your offhand is going to swing otherwise you have an eternity before you swing for CD - and you WILL NOT have this unless you get decent DW spec.

P

Pin

34 Cs gimped ? 715 Pa damage is enough 52dw+ dr2 gives me an offhand hit on most PA's/dragonfangs/hamstrings/whatever making up for the extra damage you get on the higher CS spec.

There is a difference between having a reasonable PA cap and doing reasonable PA damage.

10 points of CS doesn't just mean you get a 90 point higher cap, it means that every CS style you do gives more damage. If you just want to look at PA, then I would bet my house that you don't land 715damage PAs all the time. If you want to test how much difference e.g. 10CS makes to your average PA then duel someone with and without +CS gear on and see what difference you get to them.

Then there is the VAST damage difference on the damage of the Hamstring chain, etc. And when was the last time you saw a 550 point Garotte on a level 50?

And your other point on your 52DW + DR2? So you are considering giving that up to get some points in slash?

P

Pin

Originally posted by katt!
39+17 will NOT give you crap weaponskill.

Yes it will. Fully buffed it'll be over 100 points lower than his Thrust weaponskill. Unbuffed it'll be 150 points lower. And debuffed it'll be almost 400 points lower.

S

stt_tts_sst

yeah yeah yeah yeah........
now go make ur 8th lvl 50 toons

B

belth

Difference between PA caps with Guarded Rapier and a Bastard sword arent that great besides. Around 40-50 points maybe.

All double-speccing gives you is the loss of points better spent elsewhere.

A

Appollo

Nice idea's Arth and i see your line of thought. Personally i have been seriously thinking of: (at RR8)

50 Thrust
50 CS
32 Stealth
32 Env
14 DW (+7+11+DR3 i been told should be good enuf)

If im not PA'in im using garrote/ach heal with DF backup. Im hoping this wil up my dam (34cs atm).

A

Arthwyr

originally posted by pin
There is a difference between having a reasonable PA cap and doing reasonable PA damage.

10 points of CS doesn't just mean you get a 90 point higher cap, it means that every CS style you do gives more damage. If you just want to look at PA, then I would bet my house that you don't land 715damage PAs all the time. If you want to test how much difference e.g. 10CS makes to your average PA then duel someone with and without +CS gear on and see what difference you get to them.

Then there is the VAST damage difference on the damage of the Hamstring chain, etc. And when was the last time you saw a 550 point Garotte on a level 50?

And your other point on your 52DW + DR2? So you are considering giving that up to get some points in slash?

When they first introduced the full respec it was bugged in the way that you had unlimited respecs. I took the liberty of testing 3 specs on high grey con mobs (2 - 3 hits before death) to check damage variations. The tested specs were mercfil with 21 CS, a 34 cs spec and a 44 cs spec. All had 50 thrust 34 cs had 35 dw and the 44cs spec had 28dw base all +15 at the time.

50 dw and 44 cs spec had the same melee damage unstyled when they hit but the 50 dw came out ontop because of the more frequent offhand hits. CS styles obviously were to the advantage of the CS spec. And being able to pull off a 3 hit evade chain with 44 cs made it superior to the mercfil spec, assuming you evade at least once in a fight.
The 34 CS spec with 35 was interesting. Damage output unstyled was the same as on the 44cs spec but the offhand hits increased more then the 7 points would let you believe. Same for the PAs, Hamstrings, Leapers ... the damage was indeed lower then on the 44 spec but the offhand frequently hitting while performing a CS style compensated for it. I chose for the 34 cs one at the time. Landing 2 poisons early in the fight and better damage over time (infils had ip then) won over the greater PA damage and extra evade style. Now everybody has purge and fights are shorter the RS style is worth more then it was then.

The specs posted here are just hypothetical, and all comments on them are welcome and helpfull in maybe finding a new spec as far as infiltrators go. I Did look at the SC side of having an extra skill to cap and it is possible assuming you give up some magic resists and use 2 slash weapons both spellcrafted to boost slash. It is hard to change both weapons fast though. Anyhow these are just ideas and I'm looking if a vallid spec can be found in this.

Users who are viewing this thread