2016 GPUs 1070/1080 and 480/490

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I've had friends not really be amazed at 4k games, and some blown away. Idk. Really depends how much you appreciate the extra clarity.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The performance of the crossfired 480's is indeed impressive, I think I'll still get a 1070 though and just overclock it. As much as I'd love the raw power/price of 2x 480s, I just think crossfire is going to be a right fuck on to get working on games.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The performance of the crossfired 480's is indeed impressive, I think I'll still get a 1070 though and just overclock it. As much as I'd love the raw power/price of 2x 480s, I just think crossfire is going to be a right fuck on to get working on games.

I used to run crossfire/sli and was dissapointed.
Crossfire only works in fullscreen, so if you wanted to play fullscreen windowed and do other stuff at the same time, you couldn't get the performance you paid for.
I believe this is still the case - except for vulkan/mantle/dx12 titles.

Sli at least works in windowed/fullscreen windowed, although more reliant on developer support than crossfire for perf gains. Requires sli bridge ( why? ) which means you need a sli enabled motherboard ( cuz nvidia are greedy fucks ), so almost every board supports crossfire, but only support sli if the nvidia tax is paid.

the tldr is neither is great, it's mostly epeen except on titles you know it's well supported for, and generally is a massive heat generator for no point.

DX12/vulkan/mantle might fix all the things, but that's still a few years away. DX9 games are still getting released for fucks sake.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I used to run crossfire/sli and was dissapointed.
Crossfire only works in fullscreen, so if you wanted to play fullscreen windowed and do other stuff at the same time, you couldn't get the performance you paid for.
I believe this is still the case - except for vulkan/mantle/dx12 titles.

Sli at least works in windowed/fullscreen windowed, although more reliant on developer support than crossfire for perf gains. Requires sli bridge ( why? ) which means you need a sli enabled motherboard ( cuz nvidia are greedy fucks ), so almost every board supports crossfire, but only support sli if the nvidia tax is paid.

the tldr is neither is great, it's mostly epeen except on titles you know it's well supported for, and generally is a massive heat generator for no point.

DX12/vulkan/mantle might fix all the things, but that's still a few years away. DX9 games are still getting released for fucks sake.

Nah, I mean't I'd prob get a single 1070, not SLI heh, I see what you're saying though and I'll take your word for it. Just need to pick out a 1070 now, I was looking at one for £375, let me see if I can find it

KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 EX OC 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

that one

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Requires sli bridge ( why? ) which means you need a sli enabled motherboard ( cuz nvidia are greedy fucks ), so almost every board supports crossfire, but only support sli if the nvidia tax is paid.
To be fair I got caught out last year buying a X99 Deluxe and finding out that only certain slots are wired for crossfire (like you can't just put 2 cards in whichever slots you want and crossfire will work - I needed slots 1 and 3 to work together but only 1 and 4 would). I do like the lack of bridge though and yeah, there's no tax for buying something to work with AMD.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
On a different note, i broke the fans on my Sapphire 280X Dual-X card. So I have ordered the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV 280(X) aftermarket cooler, it's gonna be here on Tuesday.

Note to self: Never use a vacuum full-on to clean your video card.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I am still happy with my Dell 2713H dual monitor setup. Is there much of a difference going to 4k when I am sat 12 inches from the screens?

Between those two Dells @ 1440p and a 4k, no benefit to upgrade IMO. When I do upgrade my own dual 1440p screens it'll be for a single 5k screen since that is four times the pixels of 1440p but uses less desk space. So when I do upgrade it'll be to a 30" 144Hz (GSync) 5k gaming monitor and a card that can run at that resolution and at least 60Hz in games with max visual quality. Since neither that monitor or card exist yet I'm skipping this generation of kit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's my feeling on this generation. While an excellent upgrade (bang for buck, the 1070 especially) on older cards its not quite there for reliable 4k, so not really worth the upgrade.

I am happy to concede I perhaps shouldn't have bothered with my 980ti at such a time, could have waited a couple of months and got nearly the same performance for half the cost.

I will still get a 4k monitor though (the same one as @TdC) as there are one or two older games that should be OK for 4k @ 60fps. I was toying with the idea of getting the 2k version but the price difference isn't actually that great and I can always downscale to 1080 or 1440 as and when.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
That's my feeling on this generation. While an excellent upgrade (bang for buck, the 1070 especially) on older cards its not quite there for reliable 4k, so not really worth the upgrade.

I am happy to concede I perhaps shouldn't have bothered with my 980ti at such a time, could have waited a couple of months and got nearly the same performance for half the cost.

I will still get a 4k monitor though (the same one as @TdC) as there are one or two older games that should be OK for 4k @ 60fps. I was toying with the idea of getting the 2k version but the price difference isn't actually that great and I can always downscale to 1080 or 1440 as and when.

I did that for WOT before they went DX11: I set up a custom rez in Nvidia Control Panel to be a wide screen 1440P and changed WOT's scaling / perspective settings to match up. It was a bit of a bodge but worked perfectly. Then WOT went DX11 and I could play at native rez at 70~80FPS.

TdC

sooooo, prices. I see the cards available in shops in the NL now. here's an example:
Code:
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G - 518.99 euros
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G - 771.50 euros
According to a stats site, the 1070 offers approx 85% of the performance of a 1070. As we can see from the prices I mention above, this is at 67% of the cost.

TdC

How does it compare to the 1080 though?

tbh from reading stuff I gather it holds up surprisingly well. that said, my monitor does allow me to dip into the sub-60 FPS zone and the average FPS of some of the games I play is far above that, on paper, for the 1070 with gaming eye-candy on.

tbh the writing says that the 1070 "just" noses out the 980ti, but I'm also reading really good things about 4K performance. I'm tempted to get one if only to be more wall-socket friendly.

TdC

Ah my bad. Sorry mate, bit distracted lately :(

TdC

Sooo calling the RX at tree-fiddy eurobucks. What say you callbacon?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'll be amazed if it's over € 300. The 8 GB one is supposedly going to be around £240.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Cool. Now unless you're a 4k monkey, I bet you wish there was a PC game worthy of it :)
Monitor upgrade is next purchase but mainly I'm happy it will serve me for a few years.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
2560x1440p 144hz is a thing, so is 3440x1440@120hz.
Yeah. It seems like resolution is the only thing driving PC hardware on nowadays.

Console graphics at high resolutions aren't enough for me to jump on the bandwagon anymore tbh. I'll be upgrading when one of the two following happens:

1) my PC dies
2) Half Life 3.

:)

Zarjazz

Yeah. It seems like resolution is the only thing driving PC hardware on nowadays.

Indeed, that's why I'm waiting on 5k gaming as that is Retina Display level resolution even with a 27" screen.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You're both wrong. There is far more driving PC graphics forward, especially with 3rd party mods that are driving PC hardware.

Even console pap like battlefield can look stunning with all the pretties turned up. Something EA has actually improved on in recent times. They are still dicks ofc but they certainly don't appear to be treating PC gamers as second class citizens any more, unlike Ubisoft.

Zarjazz

You're both wrong. There is far more driving PC graphics forward, especially with 3rd party mods that are driving PC hardware.

Even console pap like battlefield can look stunning with all the pretties turned up. Something EA has actually improved on in recent times. They are still dicks ofc but they certainly don't appear to be treating PC gamers as second class citizens any more, unlike Ubisoft.

Actually VR is driving the hardware more than any game, basically needing twice the "oomf" just to play at the same resolution and required refresh rate. Something like a EA title, though more specifically a game based on the DiCE or Unreal engine, scale really well. Sure they can look great with all the pretty turned to max but because they still look decent on older hardware with good framerates they don't drive upgrades. It's not like the "Can it run Crysis?" meme these days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom