2016 GPUs 1070/1080 and 480/490

ECA

I am a FH squatter
No benchmarks out yet.

@Raven I'm expecting £300 for the 1070 and £600-650 for the 1080.

I hope AMD hit it outta the park this cycle. We need a strong competitor or nvidia will just price rape everyone.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nvidia seem to be going to town with tweeked drivers too so AMD really need to do something special this cycle. I have always bought AMD, since the ATi 9800 but just switched to Nvidia, it just came in better all round than AMD could produce.

I agree. we need the competition there.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
No benchmarks out yet.

@Raven I'm expecting £300 for the 1070 and £600-650 for the 1080.

I hope AMD hit it outta the park this cycle. We need a strong competitor or nvidia will just price rape everyone.

£415-£489 apparently, they said they would be cheaper than the 900 series cards.

Nvidia’s new graphics cards are somehow both more powerful and cheaper all at once

"Both the GTX 1080 and the GTX 1070 will be available on May 27th, with the 1080 priced at $599 and the 1070 running for $379. There will also be founders editions of each GPU with new coolers which will cost $699 and $449, respectively."

Quite sly of Nvidia when you think about it, the new AMD cards are due to be announced soon as well, AMD will really have to tank the price to stay in competition with the new GTX cards, no one will buy an AMD card over a new GTX 1070-1080 if its slower and more expensive.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm gonna wait and see what the benchmarks really look like, because nothing has caused frame drops below 90fps on my vive yet, and my other games are csgo and league of legends.

Might be a good time to combine a 144hz 3440x1440 monitor with one of these cards though......

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye, still using a GTX 780 myself, most games still run at good fps/high settings but more recent games are starting to dip a bit/unable to run at high let alone ultra. Will more than likely get a GTX1080, probably not at launch though, maybe around October time for the new Battlefield.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
After some painful deliberation I've just gone for a wide-screen monitor with gsync. A 1080 will likely be on the cards too. I'd dearly love team red to ace this delivery but I don't see it happening this/next year.

Embattle

FH is my second home
They look interesting but real benchmarks required, especially ones based around DX12.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Doom running at 200fps shows why it's not worth upgrading until the next gen consoles are out so there's at least an order of magnitude in graphical hobbling going on.

Unless you have a VR rig, that is.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Depends. Not bothered about VR yet but aiming for 4k and steady 60fps+ These cards will drive the price down on the 980Ti which is nice.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Doom running at 200fps shows why it's not worth upgrading until the next gen consoles are out so there's at least an order of magnitude in graphical hobbling going on.

Unless you have a VR rig, that is.

Depends what Microsoft and Sony plan on doing I guess, Sony at least seems to be going down the upgrade path rather than new console, new PS4 coming out with an upgraded CPU/GFX card etc that will be capable of running stuff at 4k. Personally as I said above I'll get one for BF because BF is always a hog when it comes to GFX cards, especially on 64 player servers (assuming they even have 64 player servers... cunts better have!)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
After some painful deliberation I've just gone for a wide-screen monitor with gsync. A 1080 will likely be on the cards too. I'd dearly love team red to ace this delivery but I don't see it happening this/next year.

*Pats his 280X* "You haven't aged yet, my love, not yet."

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'm probably going to wait for the next version of these cards with the HBM memory upgrades. This is basically just a die shrink over the 980s and Titans.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Today's was a bit of a bugger but got there in the end. Cheated on the first day I will admit :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
tldr 20-30% > 980 ti, slightly below or slightly above 980 tis in SLI depending on specific game optimisation.

hits 4k 60fps+ in most well optimised games - still not there yet for badly optimised POS like witcher 3.

Also at 4k, it isn't a huge leap over the Fury X , 10-15% or so, will be very interesting to see the amd cards performance.

Founders ( reference ) edition seems to be running around 80 degrees under load - hopefully the aftermarket cards get it down to 65 or so.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Absolutely crushes titan-x, all I wanted to know. 2 of these SLI will be insane.

Don't think i'd get 2 of them for SLI, definitely buying one of them though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Sli is wank tho, it's really only useful for benchmark peen.
So many games are poorly optimised for it.

Gonna wait and see what the AMD cards are like and get a non-reference 1080 or the 490x

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
As with any Nvidia GPU, there is zero point in getting the standard edition, wait for the TI.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
As with any Nvidia GPU, there is zero point in getting the standard edition, wait for the TI.

Ehhhhhh. We had a 20 month wait from 980 release to now ( still not available for another month. It was 8 months after 980 for the ti announce and another for availability+another for aftermarket. so call it 9-10 months, giving you 10-11 months from TI launch to now....

I'm not sure I see the point waiting another 9-10months for the ti, when these seem very OCable.

Also we seem to be getting a ton of 1080 reviews, but the 1070 is probably the more relevant/interesting card for price/performance.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
As I recall they also brought the 980 Ti forward to fend off the Fury X so the wait would've been even longer.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
All that's fascinating. You will still be pushing it to get 60fps, max settings on 4k on high fidelity games. So whats the real point? Unless it breaks through that barrier with ease, while an excellent card it is not the leap forward that people think it is or really want.

Sure you will get more FPS at 1080 or 1440 but meh.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Sli is wank tho, it's really only useful for benchmark peen.
So many games are poorly optimised for it.

Gonna wait and see what the AMD cards are like and get a non-reference 1080 or the 490x

It's not wank but it's not perfect either. Some games it doesn't work at all (the previous iD Tech Engine for example simply didn't support SLI) and others the SLI profiles were often not available for several weeks, if not months, after release. But in a lot of cases it's meant I've been able to run many games at a much much higher graphical quality setting than a single card would at 1440p.

But yeah, I would certainly prefer a single card that can run at 4k or 5k and good visual quality.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What erks me about crossfire is the low minimum frame rates.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I'll always take a stronger single gpu over sli/crossfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom