2016 GPUs 1070/1080 and 480/490

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Buy an AIB from any other brand imo.
Although having looked that's fairly ok, you could save £20 going with a diff brand.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, not sure I like that. First wave though so shouldn't be long after and some 3rd party cards should be available.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also its the first reliable ultra/60fps/4k card so the next gen cards should be promising.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've been reading conflicting articles. The one you linked to is fairly optimistic and casts a favourable light on the card. I've also read one where they show the card's 100% price hike reflects ~13% more perfomance. The PCGamer article states 50% more paper TFs.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just imagine how shitty Nvidia's business practices would be without a competitor like AMD. They'd make the absolute bare minimum advancements and charge through the roof for them (probably lying and cheating as they did it). Shit-stain of a company.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just imagine how shitty Nvidia's business practices would be without a competitor like AMD. They'd make the absolute bare minimum advancements and charge through the roof for them (probably lying and cheating as they did it). Shit-stain of a company.

Look at what they did with witcher 3, they even fucked their own customers.

Yeah intel does it's 5-10% performance/year shit, but at least they don't fuck their own customers over.

TdC

I'm considering going to team red. I could get two 480's and use my monitors oc settings.

Pros: really high buck/bang ratio, low power use, good upgrade to my 970s. Mobo supports both CF and Sli so no worries.

Cons: um...um...um...Not ultimate gfx card epeen thing? Edit: ah, not using my monitors gsync anymore.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The whole Gameworks thing infuriates me. Nvidia introducing stupid levels of tessellation that have no visual benefit whatsoever for the sole purpose of making AMD cards struggle. None of the Gameworks shite was for the advancement of the industry, it was all about making them look good against AMD. Wankers. :eek:

On the opposite side of the coin, you have AMD, who are probably *too* generous with their tech and developments.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
not using my monitors gsync anymore.
That's quite a con tbh. Gsync is, funnily enough, also a con, because Nvidia charges the manufacturer extra to incorporate it into the monitor, thereby increasing the cost for the end user. AMD, on the other hand, let them put Freesync in for nothing. One of the many reasons FreeSync has been (optionally) adopted in the DisplayPort 1.2a spec and also why Intel are going to start using it on their onboard GPUs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have always bought AMD until last gen. I really like AMD but the performance just wasn't there at the time I had the money to burn (big mistake, should have waited a couple of months but meh)

I would really like to see AMD come up with a single card competitor for the next gen but they seem to have abandoned enthusiast level cards for now.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I have always bought AMD until last gen. I really like AMD but the performance just wasn't there at the time I had the money to burn (big mistake, should have waited a couple of months but meh)

I would really like to see AMD come up with a single card competitor for the next gen but they seem to have abandoned enthusiast level cards for now.

Vega is coming out in october which is the HBM2 high end chip.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Nvidia unveils powerful new Titan X graphics card | PC Gamer

Didn't think it would take them long this time around.

That doesn't look like it's targeted as a gaming card unlike the last Titan, it's more aimed at HPC. Educated guesses so far are putting it "only" around 30-35% faster than a 1080 when it comes to FPS. For that price it doesn't even have HBM2!

Let wait for the 1080 Ti's before getting excited.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Doesn't BF4 use Mantle/Vulkan? Surely one would expect superior performance on an AMD card?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The newer reviews are on newer drivers as well. AMD aim for general performance increased, nvidia tend to release drivers a lot - but specifically tweaked for the latest AAA game.
One of the frustrating (I guess?) things about AMD products is how damn well they mature with driver releases. Frustrating because they only get reviewed at launch and Nvidia pretty-much always outperforms them. Even when the next gen of cards come along, if it's a game that's already been reviewed with a certain card, reviewers are often too lazy (or biased) to re-review it so the card's original score stands even though it has probably gained a lot. In 16.7.3, one of the headlines was a performance increase of 10% in Rise of the Tomb Raider on the RX 480. Just like that, it's 10% quicker.

I saw a chart of a 290X beating a 980 Ti in Hitman the other day. A 290X ffs. Based on launch reviews, a 290X has no right beating a 980, let alone the Ti.

ZzeeABx8uvWER6IW2VkIYNrkCEUsjsJqCI9Hr1LAx60.jpg

Last edited:

TdC

Titan X on sale in NL for 1310 eurobucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom