Your Repressed Musical Past

Damini

Part of the furniture
I was thinking about this the other day, and I was convinced for many years that the first album I ever bought was Appetite For Destruction by Guns and Roses, which is perfectly acceptable, and nothing to be ashamed of at all.

And then I thought a little harder, and realised that infact the first album I ever bought could well be Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them, or even a Boys II Men (A b c defg - the east coast beat!!!) album... I'd somehow forgotten all about this musical stage in my past. Or is repressed a better word?

So, time for confessions from other people: what was your first ever album? What musical skeletons lurk in your closet?

Any ex NKOTB fans out there? Any Bros'ers? East 17s? Marc Almonds? :eek6: That guy from Neighbours who wasn't Jason? Spill ze beans!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the very first album I ever bought was "A night at the Opera" by Queen

but I just found that thing by EMF in my cd collection :eek:

echo

Fledgling Freddie
My first single was Gina G :D First album was 'Silver Machine,' a compilation of good old rawkn'roll..

I used to love Abba, too.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I believe my first album was "Joyride" by Roxette. :( It was on cassette and everything...

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
The first album ever given to me was Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division.

Now don't misunderstand me - I was 9 and this isnt me trying to be cool. I remember playing it and laughing out loud at Ian Curtis's singing for it never to be played again (so I thought at the time).

The first album I actually bought was Dirk Wears White Sox by Adam and the Ants and I bought it by MISTAKE as I thought it was the poppy album with Prince Charming etc etc on. Its a classic, the original line up made a great album (if you dont know they were a proper punk band, very talented).

I do have some lovely stuff like erm...let me see...Haircut One Hundred, ABC (fucking class tho!), Hayzee Fantayzee (JOHN WAYNE IS BIG LEGGY lol), and crap like that. I do remember thinking Tears for Fears were the dog's bollocks in 1982 but I NEVER, repeat NEVER liked Howard fucking Jones or the Thompson Twins who to this day irk me to the point of stabbing them in the face.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Xtro said:
The first album ever given to me was Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division.

Now don't misunderstand me - I was 9 and this isnt me trying to be cool. I remember playing it and laughing out loud at Ian Curtis's singing for it never to be played again (so I thought at the time).

Were you nine in 1979 or did someone retrospectively want you to be suicidal at a young age?

At risk of losing any credibility I probably don't have, I did own two Spice Girls CDs. And a Bewitched one. And a Boyzone album.

leggy

Probably Scottish
My first album ever was Shakin' Stevens - Shakey. Grim.

It was followed by a series of unforgettable mistakes such as New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer and Rick Astley.

All in all, a pretty disturbing introduction to music.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Armed Forces

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
First album i got was Aqua - Aquarium. It was good at the time! :p

Damini

Part of the furniture
mank said:
At risk of losing any credibility I probably don't have, I did own two Spice Girls CDs. And a Bewitched one. And a Boyzone album.

Mank, I'm completely at a loss over which album to take the piss out of most. I'm almost paralised with the overwhelming urge to mock, yet the vast array of targets has left me confused.

Ngh...

Nghhrhr....

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
My first ever album, I believe, was Ocean Drive by the Lighthouse Family.

Needless to say, my tastes have changed somewhat since then...

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Strangely enough I only started buying albums around 94-95 (14-15) so generic indie stuff like Oasis, cast (the first one, some great songs on their....can't for the life of me remember where the hell the cd is though :( ) and OCS. Also I was into cheesy dance music and such like so 2 Unlimited and other fun euro trash (mark oh - Tears don't lie). By sheer luck was really into the prodigy.

BUT the first concert I went to was Bros at wembley :)s) where I got to go in the vip bit. It was a top laugh, I went about getting auto-graphs off everyone. (I've got reg and pc stamp for the bill, some bird from grange-hill and two people from the weekend-morning program 'Ghost-train' ) :D

AND I met Jordan and John Knight at the apollo.
All of the above was for free! Complements of having an auntie who works for CBS/Sony/Epic.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I think my first album was "Now thats what I call music II"

It had the "Neverending Story" song on it.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
as far as my memory recalls the first album i ever purchased myself was "whos afraid of the art of noise" (which after listening to for a few months i exchanged for U2'S "Under a blood red sky")

the first single i ever bought was Lena lovich's(sp?) Lucky number

before then i used to listen to my brothers T-rex,David Bowie,Led-Zep and Pink Floyd albums

my first gig was marillion's "Garden party" at milton keynes bowl in '86

(allthough the best one i event went to was sigue sigue sputnik at coventy polly (now a uni))

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I know this is the first album thread but my first single was probably more embarrassing.

I bought the Brotherhood of Man's "save all your kisses for me" in 1976, I think my mum took me to spend my pocket money :twak:

The first album I bought (heavily guided by my older brother I feel) was Car by Peter Gabriel in 1977 it had moribund the burgermeister on it which used to make me laugh and dance round like a fraggle (apparently!), however looking at the lyrics to that song now worries me slightly.

MORIBUND THE BURGERMEISTER

Caught the chaos in the market square
I don't know what, I don't know why, but something's wrong down there
Their bodies twistin' and turnin' in a thousand ways
The eyes all rollin' round and round into a distant gaze
Ah, look at that crowd!

Some are jumping up in the air - say, "we're drowning in a torrent of blood"
Others going down on their knees, seen a saviour coming out of the mud
Oh, Mother it's eating out my soul
Destroying law and order, I'm gonna lose control
What can I do to stop this plague spread by sight alone
Just a glimpse and then a quiver, then they shiver to the bone
Ah, look at them go!

Later on I did own some complete horrors like Howard Jones and the Thompson Twins :p

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
Slippery when wet - Bon Jovi. Think i was about 10 when I bought it. Still have it on vinyl somewhere.

Not too embarrasing a first album, but my tastes have changed significantly, so it's not exactly pride of my collection either ;)

Cthulhu

Fledgling Freddie
Elton John's Greatest Hits. :( It was given to me when I was about ten years old.
Sorry...

First purchase - AC\DC - Highway To Hell. It still rocks!

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
First album I bought was LL Cool J - Bigger And Deffer on cassette. Still a good album.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
First Album was Breakfast in America by Supertramp I think, I did buy a Boney-M single one year at Christmas. After that it goes downhill rapidly :eek6:

Later

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
My first single was the fairly respectable Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2 by Pink Floyd - still imho the best Christmas #1 ever.

Unfortunately, I think my first album had something to do with Wombles...

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
ooooooooooooooooo my parents bought us all a three box collection of the wombles (5 kids under 12) it was just fantastic. As I got older these got more amusing dependent on which intoxicating substance I had consumed :clap:

leggy

Probably Scottish
dysfunction said:
I think my first album was "Now thats what I call music II"

It had the "Neverending Story" song on it.

That would be NOW 4.

I also had that album. I'm sure it had the ghostbusters theme too :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
First single, I think, was Abba, Money, Money, Money (Jee-suz :rolleyes: )

First album, slightly more respectable - Tonic For The Troops, Boomtown Rats

First Gig - Specials, Bridlington Spa, about 1980 I think.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I have no idea what my first single was, no doubt something very embarrasing.

My first album was Holst's The Planets Suite, no idea who was conducting or why I decided to buy this instead of anything I could have got.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Two first singles, bought them at the same time.

'Wired For Sound' by Cliff Richard.
'Japanese Boy' by <I can't remember>.

Yes, *CRINGE*.

First album was likely something by Fleetwood Mac I think, would have been on tape anyway.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom