www.barrysworld.com

natrat

Fledgling Freddie
amobea said:
lets not cloud this issue with facts... i mean what good have facts ever done anybody? :twak:

hehe :)

There's 2 different things here - the first is the right to use the name Barrysworld, which GAME own.

The second is independant of that and is the ownership of the internet domain name barrysworld.com.

In theory, Rich could own the domain but GAME prevents him using bw as a company or community etc as they have the rights to the name. I very much doubt they would bother though. What Ted and DBs think about that is slightly more important.

But the domain name itself can be traded by the dutch hacker as he is now legally the owner. However fucked up that may be.

I understand Brooky's motivations and I say go for it. He is pursuing something he feels strongly about and what he wants is more important than the hacker profitting. No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. Personally I reckon i'd get a warm fuzzy glow if in 20 years time somebody resurected the name BarrysWorld, and a few old fuzzy gamers got together to play the ancient, hardly known games Battlefield 1942, UT2k4 etc :)

nat(rat)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Personally I reckon i'd get a warm fuzzy glow if in 20 years time somebody resurected the name BarrysWorld, and a few old fuzzy gamers got together to play the ancient, hardly known games Battlefield 1942, UT2k4
I've just seen my future, or maybe my wake, either way it should be a good bash :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
SAS said:
Whipped posted the trademark details and barrysworld.com is trademarked by GAME. You'd need their permission to use it. I'd check on the legal side before even attempting to think about buying it.
*cough* credit *cough* :p

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
natrat said:
that's an odd thing to say from the man who rose up and walked.

cheers nat.

Had a little chuckle to myself on that one.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Honestly, who gives a toss about a name?

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Rameses Nibblick the 3rd Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's my Thribble ??

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
Rameses Nibblick the 3rd Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's my Thribble ??
Well, I guess that's less lame than 'whipped' but I doubt you'll be able to fit the whole thing into the username box... how about RN3KKWWT? ;)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It's a pity if something can't be done with Barrysworld; the name is still infested on search engines worldwide, making it sort of omnipotent... or omnipresent at least.

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
Well, I guess that's less lame than 'whipped' but I doubt you'll be able to fit the whole thing into the username box... how about RN3KKWWT? ;)

sounds like a US tv-station

raphidae

Loyal Freddie
I accidentally stumbled upon this thread and it amazes me how people will just make bullshit up when there is lack of information.

I bought barrysworld.com along with some other domains and all the associated rights for 1500 Euro on behalf of a client of mine.

As the dispute (and because of that the locking) of the domainname made the intentional use impossible, a different name was chosen for the project.

The client has expressed his wish to sell the domainname for about the same amount it was purchased for, or more. As brooky doesn't want to buy all domains 1000 Euro is reasonable. I'm sure I could sell it for the same amount or more to jolt or some other company, but I think it's in better hands with brooky.

If someone is interrested in the full WIPO case of the domain: http://ra.phid.ae/stuff/index.php?dir=wipo/

And as for the trademark issue I saw coming along, the fact is here that GAME included a trademark application in their annexes. Application that is, they never even sent it to the trademark office, let alone that it was granted.

raphidae

Loyal Freddie
SilverHood said:
Please tell us how you managed to buy a registered domain name?

You draft a contract between the current registrant/administrative contact and yourself, both sign it and then transfer money to him. Then the domain(s) gets transferred to you by him.

It's not that difficult.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
Who is this 'administrative contact' who pocketed the money ?

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
itcheh said:
Who is this 'administrative contact' who pocketed the money ?
Deebs apparently, just read most of the important bits and basically this is the 'rub'

Game file a complaint sayiing

1) They own the copyright and the domain
2) The Domain was 'aquired' by non-legal means

Dutch bloke replied saying that he bought the domain off deebs before the point in which game.net/barrysworld was wound up. This is important because when game bought barrysworld out they didn't buy the copyright or the domain but agreed that they had 'first refusal' when the owners (deebs and whoever) decided to sell. As far as I can see the whole thing rides on a piece of evidence that is only available in the hard-copies.

I think that's what happened, I had to ignore silly amounts of legal waffle :D

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Deebs isnt near a computer at the moment and cant reply to this yet, but will do so tonight.
Any suggestion that he sold the domain are completely false, Raphidae, please dont say that again. We know its a lie and you know it too, let it go, you got away with it and will now financially profit from it too, dont try and blame it on someone else.

G

This isn't something i wanted to see, i said i would not post anymore on the subject until i had aquired rights to the domain, that process is still ongoing.

Deebs and Tedthedog, i am sure both want to see this domain back in the hands of the community, i am sure deebs will reply to Raphidae in his own time.

Lets not jepordise the situation. I have not worked for a few months trying to sort it out just to let a few people mess it all up.

(this comment is not directed at any one person or organisation)

Brooky

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
TedTheDog said:
dont try and blame it on someone else.
Let alone one of the two men who has been responsible for the re-housing of this comminity 'post game.net' - the same community for which Brooky is trying to acquire the domain.

Fucktard.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
raphidae said:
And as for the trademark issue I saw coming along, the fact is here that GAME included a trademark application in their annexes. Application that is, they never even sent it to the trademark office, let alone that it was granted.
Obviously you can't read a website because it says here that:

2328290B BARRYSWORLD.COM WO 02.04.2003 Registered

As I've already pointed out once before. I think I trust the official government register a little more than I do you, no offence.

Don't waste your money brooky mate, seriously.

G

/me points MysticG to the PM in his inbox

THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THE SUBJECT

Brooky

raphidae

Loyal Freddie
MYstIC G said:
Obviously you can't read a website because it says here that:

2328290B BARRYSWORLD.COM WO 02.04.2003 Registered

As I've already pointed out once before. I think I trust the official government register a little more than I do you, no offence.

Don't waste your money brooky mate, seriously.

I was talking about the annexes.

And as for the trademarks in the UK, you should pay more attention to the date of publishing. I can register the trademark microsoft.com at the local trade mark office here too. Doesn't mean I can fuck over Microsoft.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
may I suggest that no freddieshouse inhabitant post in this thread until DBs has had a chance to reply? thank you.

Sar

Part of the furniture
TedTheDog said:
Deebs isnt near a computer at the moment and cant reply to this yet, but will do so tonight.
Any suggestion that he sold the domain are completely false, Raphidae, please dont say that again. We know its a lie and you know it too, let it go, you got away with it and will now financially profit from it too, dont try and blame it on someone else.
Someone must have, because surely the WIPO Panel decision wouldn't have said:

...there were other domain names included in the March 2003 sale to the Respondent by the then administrative contact of the Disputed Domain Name [IE bw.com] but only the most valuable domain name was included in this administrative proceeding.

Surely the panel would have investigated the sale fully, in order to determine ownership of the domain?

Don't think I'm backing up Koeman here, because I still think he's a fucking pirate. But it looks as though somebody sold him the domain.

Otherwise there's grounds for appeal by Deebs & TTD etc, as the panel based its decision on falsified evidence.

Durzel

Loyal Freddie
I have to say I agree.

If the domain was sold by "a director" to Koeman - then any argument about illegitimacy of ownership & fair use etc is irrelevant. The issue would surely rest on whether "director" had ultimate and absolute rights to sell the domain in the first place.

If said Director didn't "own" the domain (being administrative contact for it doesn't necessarily confer ownership) then was it his to sell in the first place?

As much as I hate to say it - arguing about the ifs, buts, moral and ethical aspects of the dispute won't achieve anything, and from what I can tell from reading all of the WIPO documents on that page (assuming they haven't been tampered with) the right decision was made.

By "right" I mean of course legally correct, but at the same time morally unjust.

raphidae

Loyal Freddie
Sar said:
Otherwise there's grounds for appeal by Deebs & TTD etc, as the panel based its decision on falsified evidence.

There is no appeal to a WIPO decision, they will have to file a lawsuit in the jurisdiction of the registrar, the US.

And if the UK trademark is an issue for brooky I'll file for annullment first.

raphidae

Loyal Freddie
TedTheDog said:

I'm not lying. You seem to think I that I have something against BarrysWorld or something and that I stole the domain to get to you. I've never even used a BarrysWorld service, why would I care?

I bought the domains from someone who I think was authorized to sell them. WIPO thinks this too, so I won't care too much if the person was actually not authorized.

Btw, BarrysWorlds nameservers were registered on SRS and are still in the records of the following domains:

AVPNETWORK.COM TEDTHEDOG.COM PANICTEAM.COM TEDTHEDOG.NET BARRYSERVER.COM SUJOY.COM EPPMODELS.COM AS21099.NET

In theory the owner of barrysworld.com can control all dns, intercept all email to those domains and thus can seize control of any domain having an authorative email address on one of those hosts.

You might want to change this before I sell the domain.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Am I the only person who thinks that this is not the place for this discussion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom