www.barrysworld.com

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cyfr said:
Who do you think buys products from GAME? :p
I bet everyone here combined buy a smegload less from GAME than the people who randomly stumble into the GAME shop because of the barrysworld name (all those old clansite urls, links from other sites, etc) as it is maintained on the net.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Cyfr said:
Who do you think buys products from GAME? :p
Anyway... i've changed my opinion on the matter, the guy is a theif, let Barrysworld rest and freddyshouse live on :).

Oh and... I vote for BFV server! :)
I second that vote! :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Jesus, just let him stew with a useless domain. Dont give him a 100 eruos for taking something that wasnt his.

We dont need the barrysworld.com url to be a gaming community, a name is just a name.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I must say, I'm unquenchably curious about who the €500 contributor is...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've just noticed who's suggesting this ridiculous idea. Can't say I'm surprised.

Anyway, let's give lots of money to some Dutch hacker who stole a domain name with the intention of playing on people's sentiments and selling it back to them at an extortionate rate. That's a bloody brilliant idea! Where do I sign?

Sarcasm aside if we do buy it and follow Dam's advice I would be very keen to be the person telling him to CTFOADOAYMIS. I'm sure I could come up with a couple of other juicy lines of abuse aswell.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I vote Bodhi to be riding the cow (sorry Wij) and launch a stinging attack on the git. Although you've got to admit, he knows how to make a buck of the back of idiots.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ch3tan said:
I vote Bodhi to be riding the cow (sorry Wij) and launch a stinging attack on the git. Although you've got to admit, he knows how to make a buck of the back of idiots.

:(

QQ

Whipped

Part of the furniture
For some reason QQ always makes me think people are trying to say Quid Pro Quo(sp?), a saying I still don't understand, but Hannibal Lecter seemed to like it a lot, so I'm thinking it means, "I want to eat your tastie bits" ;)

natrat

Fledgling Freddie
just arrange for the deal to be done in person then 20 or so BW community people jump him and kick the shit out of him.

or something.

I won't go into the full details of what did happen, suffice to say the dutch fucker did steal the domain via hacking. GAME pursued it via legal means for some time but gave up. Can't blame them really, would have cost a lot to win legally.

Why don't you just offer him the 500 that that crazy guy will put up and if he declines, walk away. He'll come back in a few months when he realises he has jack shit.

nat(rat)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Aye I say withdraw offer now and let him stew.. although I'm sure there are some other freaks in the pr0n industry or whatever who'd pay for it if this guy convinces them it once had 100k hits a day or whatever.

Cyfr

Banned
Put goatse on it, the offical site for goatse died :(

*Gives Wij cash*

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
When I first read this thred, I agreed that barrysworld.com should be brought home, but now, i have to say, I agree with the majority. Let it go, let this hacker keep the domain and realise that he has wasted his time.

G

TBPFH no one is asking any of you for any cash anymore and you are just giving your opinions (which is fair enough) but obviously this is an emotive subject and some people are prepared to pay for the domain to be returned. If that makes the people stumping up the cash blithering idiots in some peoples eyes then fair enough, all i ever wanted to do was to get the domain back in the hands of the community, i never expected all this hassle, i thought that people would stick together rather than just belittling efforts to retain what i think is a name that can rise again in the world of gaming (however small it starts out).

So, this is my last post until i have news on whether we have managed to buy the domain or not.

and i would just like to say this to bodhi

sir, you think you are all clever with your attitude, you may make people laugh but you make me sad, life isnt about doing whats best (what other people want to see you doing so you look "cool") its about standing by your principles and having the respect of others around you and contributing in a positive way, something i sadly feel you do not do.

Richard "i wear my heart on my sleeve" Brook

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You keep saying you're doing this for the community. Yet the community you are doing it for DO NO WANT IT BACK.

We're just trying to save your money, but if you wish to be a stupid idoit, feel free, I'm not going to stop you!

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
brooky said:
TBPFH no one is asking any of you for any cash anymore and you are just giving your opinions (which is fair enough) but obviously this is an emotive subject and some people are prepared to pay for the domain to be returned.
Thats okay, wasnt gonna give any cash anyhow to a worthless cause.

brooky said:
If that makes the people stumping up the cash blithering idiots in some peoples eyes then fair enough
you are all blithering idiots to send brooky your cash, keep it and buy a 6 pack of beer :D
brooky said:
all i ever wanted to do was to get the domain back in the hands of the community
community is saying no, how simple is that? even deebs wasnt fond of getting the barrysworld domain back when we went though this on the Game.net *spit* forum

brooky said:
i never expected all this hassle, i thought that people would stick together rather than just belittling efforts to retain what i think is a name that can rise again in the world of gaming (however small it starts out).
considering the "shrinkage" of GSPs in the past few years you would have thought to have learnt something big there?
oh and the communitys still going strong, otherwise freddyshouse would be dead :p
and one key point, even if you got the domain and started a gaming server on it, GAME still holds all the legal mumbo jumbo about it so you might get into deep shit with the legal bods for doing it.
brooky said:
So, this is my last post until i have news on whether we have managed to buy the domain or not.
good, it'll stop you whinging about it

brooky said:

sir, you think you are all clever with your attitude, you may make people laugh but you make me sad, life isnt about doing whats best (what other people want to see you doing so you look "cool") its about standing by your principles and having the respect of others around you and contributing in a positive way, something i sadly feel you do not do.

Richard "i wear my heart on my sleeve" Brook
Bodhi makes me smile and laugh throughout my day, which is a dawmed sight better than what you manage to do.
i bet your the sad fucker who'll walk past someone dying in the street and not stop to help them, if "life isnt about doing whats best" in your eyes.

the mods may now ban/kick/punish/murder/death by wij jokes me if they do so wish :worthy:

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
Damn, can't edit. Check out www.mediamonks.com and look at our friend Terrence's bio. Hacker at the age of 13, annoyed UPC by fucking up their cable modems. If any of this is to be believed I very much doubt he got the domain through a legal means. Sounds more and more like social engineering now :(

His mobile number is on there to ;)

what a tit......

like in all fields of excellence, those that need to boast about their skills rarely have any of any note....

I wonder how he'd cope with a real old school cracker on his back.... ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Actually I'd be quite glad if the Domain came back to someone around FH. I'd rather not have to pay some thief but if people are willing then that's up to them. It's none of my business what anyone spends their money on. Chill ppl.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Wij said:
Actually I'd be quite glad if the Domain came back to someone around FH. I'd rather not have to pay some thief but if people are willing then that's up to them. It's none of my business what anyone spends their money on. Chill ppl.

I feel the same, but to let the guy profit from it is just wrong.

Do as other people have said - offer him 30 quid... the domain isn't worth 1000 euroes. The only reason he charges that much is because he knows we'll buy it.
If we don't buy it, it's not worth €1000.

My 2 cents

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
brooky said:

How the fuck would you know? You hardly ever post here?

Life is about doing what's best I'm afraid, if you don't realise this you have a very rude awakening in store I'm afraid. Anyone who knows me knows that "coolness" is the least of my concerns, however making the right decision in situations such as this is paramount. Clearly buying a domain from someone who has stolen it to extort some money out of the community is the right decision in this case........

Don't get me wrong I loved Barrysworld, and was gutted when Game killed the spirit of it. However in Freddyshouse we have BW back, just with a different name. What's more this place is more of a house where all us old skool BW nutters live, so the name works perfectly imo. I know you have a major problem with me (I guess it's cos I'm not repulsed by the behaviour in #q2.uk) but listen to me when I say.......

Let it go.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
heh Bodhi,

Is that REALLY you posting, or did someone steal your password (which, I believe, is CTFOADOA)

:p :D

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
CBA to read all of this, but couldn't give a toss what the place is called.
I also tend to not live in the past and won't be giving money for the domain.
Thx.

Gray

FH is my second home
So...

what if you pay for it, whats gonna stop him trying to "hack" it back? If he did it with someone as big as GAME, whats to say he wont do it to you?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Brooky

As much as there is a lot of sentimental history with the #bw name and as much as Game tried to pursue it and try to get it back, is it still legally yours to buy? Surely it still belongs to Game, stolen goods and all (excuse my ignorance of Law).

To the rest of you, if people are prepared to buy it back for sentimental reasons then that is "their" choice. I remember my mum doing similar for a worthless ornament of her dads which went missing from his house after he died (the housekeeper gave it to one of her children), the whole process made her very ill but she got it back..

Personally I still do not like the fact people are paying so much for this name from someone who is purely there to take your money. Like others I would have left it a couple of years etc. However it would seem that you and a few others have made a choice, lets respect that as a community. :)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped posted the trademark details and barrysworld.com is trademarked by GAME. You'd need their permission to use it. I'd check on the legal side before even attempting to think about buying it.

It looks like the community is split down the middle, but I still don't see a problem buying it if you already have the money (and pointing to FH). IF the legal side is clear for you to do so mind.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
We should also buy the domain, www.daocforums.com or something. Even more of them could turn up here then ;)

If that sounded like a bash at the DAoC community it wasn't. Any DAoC bashing from me and I shall be decapited by two of my best friends :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I thought Game where happy to hand over the rights of barrysworld.com back to TTD/DBS etc. when the move happened. I also thought they decided on freddyshouse for a fresh start?

amobea

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
I thought Game where happy to hand over the rights of barrysworld.com back to TTD/DBS etc. when the move happened. I also thought they decided on freddyshouse for a fresh start?

lets not cloud this issue with facts... i mean what good have facts ever done anybody? :twak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom