www.barrysworld.com

Damini

Part of the furniture
brooky said:
The panel decided that the domain was rightfully his so he can legally sell it.

Legally, yes, but morally I think we all know that the only reason he wanted it is because other people did, and people paying him hundreds of pounds to reward that action is the thing that doesn't sit right with me. It's like when people kidnap cats and hold them to ransom - they don't actually want the pet, they just want the money. This guy doesn't want the site, he just wants to extort money out of those people that do want the site.

I can understand why the domain is so important to you guys, I really can, but it just galls me that this guy can profiteer from that.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why not use money generated from subscriptions?

Buying back the domain for just a forum hardly seems worth it, even if it is "by gamers for gamers".

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So what would be the point of having the domain name back?
What would it serve to do/solve/improve?

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Don't just hand over that kind of money for a url. Offer him £20 like Shovel said. The guy will realise its £20 or nothing...

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Couldn't we just get a hitman for 1000 euros. In the event of this money grabbing git's death all domain names must pass back into the public domain.

Btw, if MI5 or anyone reads this post it is meant in jest. I do not really wish to hire a hitman or kill this person. However, I would like to be the next James bond. I look good in a suit so maybe I'll fit right in :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
It costs a grand, because that's how much he thinks he can squeeze out of you, no other reason. I think the best thing to do, in memory of barrysworld, would be to arrange to hand over the cash in a field. Then, when he turns up, feed the money to a cow that has been spray painted green, with a yellow smiley on the side, whilst yelling m00 at him and telling him to CTFOAD. Maybe unleash a Wij on him. That, to me, would truly preserve the spirit of Barrysworld :D

Then, three years later when he's realised the site is just gathering dust and doing nothing, buy it for £30 like you would normally do.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Damini said:
It costs a grand, because that's how much he thinks he can squeeze out of you, no other reason. I think the best thing to do, in memory of barrysworld, would be to arrange to hand over the cash in a field. Then, when he turns up, feed the money to a cow that has been spray painted green, with a yellow smiley on the side, whilst yelling m00 at him and telling him to CTFOAD. Maybe unleash a Wij on him. That, to me, would truly preserve the spirit of Barrysworld :D

Then, three years later when he's realised the site is just gathering dust and doing nothing, buy it for £30 like you would normally do.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby gets the feeling that this is a little like kidnapping. Catsby cannot see how such a fee can be justified by any force other than market forces:

Demand=You Supply=Him. Units=1.

From this, Catsby can deduce that he can charge you whatever he wants. Catsby believes this is profiteering, and most vile. Catsby would not pay on principal.
In a way, Catsby is saddened that this money will go to what on the surface appears to be a scam artist.

Catsby can think of plenty of things that €1k would do.

But, if it does become available, Catsby would pay to see Wij set upon a green cow.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
If only we had the name of the person that owns the domain. I'm sure there are many things the talented people of Freddys could visit upon him. Anyone good with frog plauges?

Rubric

Part of the furniture
So if it currently points at the game site then does game not still own it?

Cyfr

Banned
Whipped said:
If only we had the name of the person that owns the domain. I'm sure there are many things the talented people of Freddys could visit upon him. Anyone good with frog plauges?

whois the domain and you have your name :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
a fool and his money are soon parted...

ArrrImmaPir8!

Fledgling Freddie
brooky said:
Lets get the domain back in the hands of the community 1st and then we will worry about who its registered to, all i can say at the moment is that it will be in "safe" hands.

I am negotiating the sale so i suppose it will be in my name to start with, but after that who knows.

Richard

You have way too much time and mopney on your hands. Why not take that cash and actually do something useful with it like give it to crackheads you meet in the street.

Richard

Sar

Part of the furniture
whois.com said:
Registrant: Antichrist Holding B.V.

Address: Terrence Koeman
Gijsbrecht van Amstelstraat 182a
Hilversum, Noord-Holland 1214BD
NL
Phone: +31630600441
Fax..: +31356242720
Email: terrence@antichrist.nl

First Registered: March 05, 1998

Last Updated: October 27, 2003

Administrative Contact: Antichrist Holding B.V.
Terrence Koeman
Gijsbrecht van Amstelstraat 182a
Hilversum, Noord-Holland 1214BD
NL
Phone: +31630600441
Email: terrence@antichrist.nl

Technical Contact: MediaMonks B.V.
Terrence Koeman
Kerklaan 24a
Hilversum, Noord-Holland 1211PP
NL
Phone: +31356212150
Email: root@mediamonks.net

Zone Contact: MediaMonks B.V.
Terrence Koeman
Kerklaan 24a
Hilversum, Noord-Holland 1211PP
NL
Phone: +31356212150
Email: root@mediamonks.net

Name Servers:
NS.BARRYSWORLD.COM 213.221.172.238
NS2.BARRYSWORLD.COM 213.221.172.236

Information Source: register.com

Who the friar tuck is he?

If it was me wanting it, I'd offer him 20p and tell him he'd have fuck all chance of anything else otherwise.

Paying him €100 never mind €1000 is stupid. It's a name, a url. It doesn't mean anything anymore other than for sentimental reasons.

Unless you're intending to build a site using the domain then there's little point in paying that (or any) sort of money for it, even if it's just to direct traffic to fh.com - don't give the greedy little ****0x what he's ransoming for.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Afraid I'm with everyone that is against this now. Sar pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. It'll expire in a few years and then we may get it back for the normal price and laugh about how we nearly pain 1000 euros for it a couple of years ago.

I don't have a euro key on this keyboard!! ;)

Btw, look what google turned up :) http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2003/d2003-1025.html

Damini

Part of the furniture
On March 20, 2003, the Respondent stole the Disputed Domain Name from the Complainant via a hack or identity theft at its then current registrar Network Solutions, LLC, who then transferred it to Register.com. The Respondent placed his own DNS servers into the domain record allowing him to control and intercept all traffic (including email) on the domain name. Register.com, on request from the UK National Hi-Tech Crime Unit and the US FBI placed the domain name on registrar lock with only the Complainant's name servers on the domain record so the existing BarrysWorld service was maintained whilst a criminal investigation was conducted.

I don't get it. What does that all mean? And is that the guy you are going to pay that did that?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
If you read further down (and this is admittedly painful) they ruled, it seems, in favour of the "Respondent" - it seems the complaints against the guy, including that paragraph you quoted, didn't stand up to investigation, or something, and he has legitimate rights to the domain.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
From reading that and not being a lawyer it seems that the guy claims he bought the domain from someone in the BarrysWorld admin staff during liquidation.

Unfortunatly GAME could not prove that this wasn't the case and the only trademarks they had registered where registered 15 days after the sale of the domain name.

Seems to me, and I am speculating here so please don't ban me or nothing, that it looked like noone was going to buy BarrysWorld or at least if they did it would not include the domain. Then GAME did buy it, but someone had already sold the BarrysWorld domain for some quick cash in case everything fell through.

Although I don't like the fact that the guy claims he was going to use the domain for an Internet purchasing website, something he couldn't give details on because of NDAs. Convinent.

I vaugly remember that Barrysworld may have been turned into something that just kept the Barries system going for clan servers. I wonder if this guy was representing that offer, got the domain and then buggered off.

All very strange and I guess he is the only one who will ever know what he was up to. Although Antichrist Holdings is a bit of a horrible name really.

And now this is ruled I wonder why the domain still redirects to shop.game.net.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
If you check out mediamonks.nl, the Terrence Koeman guy's listed as a "Grade A hacker" in his biography, incidentally. Hmm!

G

The suits at Game wanted the domain back from whoever they say stole it, but the WIPO said it was not prooved enough so the holder IS legally entitled to sell it.

The domain is NOT going to a bunch of suits, its going to the community, please understand the deal is not done yet and i dont want any posts flaming the seller because he doesnt HAVE to sell it to me.

Please chill and i will let you know what the score is when i know more.

Richard

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Damn, can't edit. Check out www.mediamonks.com and look at our friend Terrence's bio. Hacker at the age of 13, annoyed UPC by fucking up their cable modems. If any of this is to be believed I very much doubt he got the domain through a legal means. Sounds more and more like social engineering now :(

His mobile number is on there to ;)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Sorry Brooky. Don't mean to jeperdise anything by posting abou tthe guy here. I shall stop now as he will no doubt find this thread.

ArrrImmaPir8!

Fledgling Freddie
brooky said:
The suits at Game wanted the domain back from whoever they say stole it, but the WIPO said it was not prooved enough so the holder IS legally entitled to sell it.

The domain is NOT going to a bunch of suits, its going to the community, please understand the deal is not done yet and i dont want any posts flaming the seller because he doesnt HAVE to sell it to me.

Please chill and i will let you know what the score is when i know more.

Richard

See above.

Richard

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Barrysworld is dead. Please stop trying to pick up a shovel and go grave robbing.

Besides that my limited understanding is that GAME have the "barrysworld" and "barrysworld.com" trademark so surely even if you paid a wedge for the .com you'd need permission from (as you put it) "the suits" to use it? That wouldn't work on the basis that as nice as the blokes from GAME are it's a bloody business.

As a business why on god's green earth would they give "the community" permission to use it's registered trademark on the basis that as things stand they get the hits from BW.com straight to their shop site. I wouldn't wanna explain giving away that traffic to the bosses/shareholders.

If you wanna spunk 1000 euros buy FreddysHouse a box for a game server or something.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
If you wanna spunk 1000 euros buy FreddysHouse a box for a game server or something.
Good idea, expcept there'd me mass arguments as to what game/s to put on it ;)

Maybe a monthly poll to see what next months game should be.

Cyfr

Banned
MYstIC G said:
As a business why on god's green earth would they give "the community" permission to use it's registered trademark

Who do you think buys products from GAME? :p
Anyway... i've changed my opinion on the matter, the guy is a theif, let Barrysworld rest and freddyshouse live on :).

Oh and... I vote for BFV server! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom