Help Windows 8

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
When Win 9 is released everyone will be saying 'well its not a patch on Win 8, that was so much beter'

W9 is going to be a massive release if info available is correct, good bye backwards compatibility and hello full virtualisation.

I like W8, especially at work. My desktop is usually full of documents so I actually live on the 'metro' screen, got everything there grouped by what I use and generally find it a little quicker - W7 at home and W8 at work.. I'd have no issue migrating forward now that I know how to actually use it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I keep hearing rumours of Windows 8.5 by the end of the year which will be sans Metro or at least with the ability to turn it off. Others are saying a switch will come with SP1.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Edmond said:
When you hover the cursor in the top left corner of the screen, it shows the open apps, are you saying if you leave them it will shut them down?

That's correct. Only after a certain amount of time has passed of inactivity.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
That's correct. Only after a certain amount of time has passed of inactivity.

Indeed, it behaves like *insert name of mobile phone OS* and closes things automagically. You can deliberately close stuff using Alt-F4 or clicking and dragging from the top of the screen to the bottom (ripping them from the screen basically)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
I hear everyone saying "just use the desktop if you don't like the metro system" surely for that reason only you might aswell stick with windows 7? hardly inspiring advice.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I hear everyone saying "just use the desktop if you don't like the metro system" surely for that reason only you might aswell stick with windows 7? hardly inspiring advice.
There are improvements like native hosting of ISO files. I am not saying you should go and buy it but i do not see a reason to Downgrade or avoid a machine with Windows 8 on it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The interface formally known as Metro makes fuck all difference to me because I use the Win key to run everything and have done since Vista introduced that ability. So for me as 8 is faster than 7 that was the deciding factor.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
worth upgrading from win7 ulti to win 8 pro before the price hike?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
worth upgrading from win7 ulti to win 8 pro before the price hike?

I'd say so, the little things add up to be enough for me to like it. Task Manager, sync'ing settings and I do quite like the new start screen, I've found a few useful tiles - train times, 4od etc - that are really handy. But when I don't want to see them, I don't. It's faster for me too, I'm on a Core 2 Duo.

edit: the new file copy stuff seems to transfer faster and is definitely more informative (no more 5 seconds left for 2 minutes). There are lots of little tweaks like that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The interface formally known as Metro makes fuck all difference to me because I use the Win key to run everything and have done since Vista introduced that ability. So for me as 8 is faster than 7 that was the deciding factor.

Measurably faster?

I mean - is it worth the hassle of learning a new UI? If it's just boot times I don't care - but if I'm getting 20% more FPS in my games...

Edit: Man, I'd also have to reinstall VMWare workstation :(

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
My machine takes longer to BIOS post now than it does to boot into Windows 8 desktop. To me it's measurably faster throughout but obviously your mileage may vary.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My machine takes longer to BIOS post now than it does to boot into Windows 8 desktop. To me it's measurably faster throughout but obviously your mileage may vary.

£24.99... that's not bad.

It's just Win7 is working so damn well it seems like I'd be shooting myself in the foot to "upgrade". Faster boot times mean nothing to me really as I leave my PC on normally 24/7 - and looking at some reviews there's no difference in games (which are the first best use for PC's IMO).

Maybe performance isn't the standpoint I should be looking at it for. What dya reckon in terms of enhanced software (other than having to download my own DVD playing software because that functionality will be removed by upgrading).

Any other reasons to jump?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If it ain't broke then don't fix it mate.

The DVD think is bunk, VLC plays DVDs under Windows 8 and Microsoft were handing out free licences for windows media centre which does the same.

Maybe buy the upgrade whilst it's cheap (it goes up tomorrow or the day after or something - google will know) and just hold onto it for the future?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If it ain't broke then don't fix it mate.

That's my first thought.

Maybe buy the upgrade whilst it's cheap (it goes up tomorrow or the day after or something - google will know) and just hold onto it for the future?

That's my second...

Edit: Bought. Will probably upgrade one night, late, when I'm bored...

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
christ id forgotten about this, best get it while its cheap as im currently still using vista :oops:

soze

I am a FH squatter
I installed Windows 8 at the weekend as there was finally a Wireless Network driver but it would not connect to my access point for longer than 20 minutes with out collapsing in on it self. So it is back to 7 for now.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
well the prgram we gotta run always crashes for after input payment details, even tried paypal and same thing, guess i wont be upgrading then

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
well the prgram we gotta run always crashes for after input payment details, even tried paypal and same thing, guess i wont be upgrading then

Really? I just used the windows anytime upgrade thing. Did the checks, took the payment, downloaded the software somewhere onto C: that I suspect won't be easily writeable to media and provided a "upgrade Win7 to noddy-o-matic" link...

Maybe they've got a lot of late takers and that's why it's going to tits? :|

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It writes to dvd very easily just using windows 7 built in dvd writer.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The last page should give you the option to write to DVD or USB stick. But you can also download it again now you own it. There's a link in the email with your key.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Really? I just used the windows anytime upgrade thing. Did the checks, took the payment, downloaded the software somewhere onto C: that I suspect won't be easily writeable to media and provided a "upgrade Win7 to noddy-o-matic" link...

Maybe they've got a lot of late takers and that's why it's going to tits? :|

When you run the "upgrade now" program you can ask it to give you the ISO and just write that to a DVD

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So - has anyone taken the plunge from 7 to 8?

What are your thoughts?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have. I think it's great. It's a bit of a method shift from 7 but I think the changes work very well.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So - has anyone taken the plunge from 7 to 8?

What are your thoughts?
Been running it since release, I have no interest in the new UI and drop straight into Desktop on login. Otherwise it's faster than 7, just as stable and explorer is vastly improved (I'm sure others have already mentioned copy dialogues that work, etc). They'll have to do a lot of work going forward to "centralise" things like settings, etc. but that's Microsoft's problem.

Biggest annoyance was shutdown, the command went from something like "Win Key > Right Arrow > Right Arrow > Enter" to something like "Win + C > Down Arrow (repeatedly) > Right Arrow (Once I think) > Enter > Down Arrow > Enter" or thereabouts. That lasted about a week however when I remembered that "Alt + F4" on the desktop chucks up a shutdown dialogue box.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I created a shutdown shortcut pinned to the task bar and the metro start screen.

Shutdown.exe –s –t 0

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i was gonna but the final payment side was b0rked for me all day

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom