Help Windows 8

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Is there some easy options or stuff to get rid of the metro interface and make it function like windows 7 with a start button and stuffs like that ?

Thanks

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Also if you want to find anything the easiest way is to:

press the window key and start typing. It default searches the apps but you can then click on settings and other things.

This method works very well!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Kryten said:
For a free alternative:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I'm using that one, it's fairly good. However since switching to 8 I've just started to realise how little I used the start menu anyway. I've got the above installed for the times I do though.

This and use if the Win X menu if necessary.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Windows 8 is a huge, steaming pile of shit! At least for the PC. I'm sure it's a brilliant OS when it's installed on what it was designed for. That being tablets and phones. The ex bought a laptop the other day with Windows 8 preinstalled. Also came with Norton Internet Security pre-installed. Now as I said in the Random Spam thread, Windows 8 on the PC is, in my opinion, Windows 7 made less usable. Norton is also the biggest pile of shit ever coded.

I bought the laptop home with me today and set about putting Windows 7 on it instead. What a palaver! First I couldn't get into the BIOS in the first place because of the damn hybrid boot bollocks. You have to be pressing f2 before the damn thing has finished shutting down! Then I had to change the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy before changing the boot sequence would have any effect.

Absolute wank if you ask me.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
ick thats shit thought you would just boot from a dvd and install win7 :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I actually quite like it. It is not that much different to windows 7 really. Yes you lose the start menu but it is not a problem. Most things are on the start screen anyway and it's easy to get to desktop.

It's just a change of perspective. Perhaps i am good with change.

If you want to close an app you drag from the top down with the mouse. Or drag it left or right and then start have another app running.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's fine, start menu is in search menu and if you want start menu back download classic shell w/e.

Kryten

Old Cow.
If you had to fuck about with UEFI then it's not the machine that's the problem. Do NOT change a BIOS to legacy, in either 7 or 8. You might as well throw your money in with the ark and go back to XP.
When it boils down to it there is *fuck all* difference between 7 and 8 in usability terms. On a desktop you can 100% ignore Metro and get on with your life. Install startx/classic shell or whatever if it makes you feel comfortable. It's a dual purpose OS. It actually adds a little to 7 whilst retaining reliability and performance. That's no bad thing.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
No it's not the machine that's the problem. If you had read my post properly you would have seen that I HAD to change it to legacy for changing the boot sequence to have any effect. I will probably change it back now I've got Windows 7 installed.

Yes it does add to Windows 7. In my opinion it adds extra annoyance. I can see it working on a tablet or a phone but what's the point of it for a desktop or a laptop? While getting to know the OS I completely ignored the damn UI and spent all my time using the desktop to do stuff. And I very much missed the Start menu, instead of simply click on that and then, say, Control Panel, I had to move the mouse to a corner, go down to Settings and THEN choose Control Panel. The same if I wanted to go into Device Manager. Instead of going to Start, Right-clicking on properties and doing it that way, I had to clock on the folder, right-click on Computer in the left panel and go to Properties that way, leaving me with a folder to close. Just little annoying things.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ah, that'll be true for existing installations. (naturally you can't swap between BIOS and UEFI with a preexisting OS due to the HAL getting pissy).
I do agree it's a pain not having the option for a proper start menu. It'll take time though. I'm not missing the start menu at all (and have yet to actually use the replacement or Metro since installation).

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Yes it does add to Windows 7. In my opinion it adds extra annoyance. I can see it working on a tablet or a phone but what's the point of it for a desktop or a laptop? While getting to know the OS I completely ignored the damn UI and spent all my time using the desktop to do stuff. And I very much missed the Start menu, instead of simply click on that and then, say, Control Panel, I had to move the mouse to a corner, go down to Settings and THEN choose Control Panel. The same if I wanted to go into Device Manager. Instead of going to Start, Right-clicking on properties and doing it that way, I had to clock on the folder, right-click on Computer in the left panel and go to Properties that way, leaving me with a folder to close. Just little annoying things.

You could've just gone down to the corner where the start button used to be, right-clicked and then selected control panel or device manager from there.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
dont like it i dont think its intuative at all its on one of the kids laptop its pretty poor in my eyes, when i have to look up how to turn the fucking thing off correctly. its a touch screen interface better off with win7 on a desktop imo

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Alt F4 on desktop for shutdown win.

8 is better IMHO as it is much faster than 7. UI makes no difference to me as I run everything using win key then typing what I want.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I've always been a late adopter. Will leave this for when i change my hw platform. I installed Win7 late in 2010, for example. Also, I hated that Win7 didn't have the classic UI such as Vista had, but i survived.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Been using Windows 8 for all of 10 minutes this morning and fucking hate how difficult it is to do simple things. Pile of steaming dog shit.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've got use to it, just a key press to get in to the ordinary desktop but it still feels some what disjointed.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Got to use for the first time the other day, we had a new laptop arrive for a new starter and was installing Win 7 anyway, but I thought I would have a poke around. Found it all very messy, has to do a lot of work to make it look usable. Didn't like the fact I had to look up on the internet's how to turn the thing off, not very intuitive. Installed the Start button and classic settings and it helped alot. But the software we run doesn't run on 8 so I couldn't keep 8 on that machine. It needs alot of work before I would consider it for my own PC.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It doesn't need a lot of work at all. It just takes a very short time to learn how to do the essentials. Some are quicker and easier than win 7.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Grr only allowed one SkyDrive account wtf! I have a 13 year old Hotmail account with a 25gb free SkyDrive account but it gets about 1000 spam email a day. So I want to sign into Messenger, Email and Contacts with my current Live email address but I want to use my old Hotmail account for SkyDrive as it has the free extra storage but I can't see that it's possible. Cunts!

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I couldn't work out how to close the window on some things, and as for trying to shut it down the first time, to me ages to work it out. But as Kryten says, you can work from the desktop and ignore the metro if you need to.

I dont use messenger or hotmail, so not bothered about that. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a Facebook scenario though, when they upgrade it, everyone says 'can we go back to how it was before, it was so much better' forgetting that when it was upgraded the time before that they were saying ''can we go back to how it was before, it was......' *repeat to fade*

When Win 9 is released everyone will be saying 'well its not a patch on Win 8, that was so much beter'

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The thing is you don't have to close down application with metro. You just hover mouse in bottom left and click the start square that comes up to get back to Metro.

Unused apps get closed when not used for a while.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
When you hover the cursor in the top left corner of the screen, it shows the open apps, are you saying if you leave them it will shut them down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom