• Care?

Votes: 112 12.2%

• Total voters

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Keitan said:
Whens that tho this xmas ? or next?

Doh this Xmas is 2006 ain't it? :p
If we are lucky Closed Beta will start round end of this year.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
tbh unless there's some major paradigm shift in how the game works over daoc I can't see much point in moving over there. Once bored of this will be bored of mmorpgs in general. Upgraded graphics, slightly different gameplay, slightly different world - well not enuff to bother getting on the treadmill again imo. ofc if whole guild move over there and stuck in doac on own might change my mind, but have no plans to move there when it comes out.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Maeloch said:
tbh unless there's some major paradigm shift in how the game works over daoc I can't see much point in moving over there. Once bored of this will be bored of mmorpgs in general. Upgraded graphics, slightly different gameplay, slightly different world - well not enuff to bother getting on the treadmill again imo. ofc if whole guild move over there and stuck in doac on own might change my mind, but have no plans to move there when it comes out.

As far as we know atm u can go all the way to RvR since creation of char, that's more interesting bit for me till now. Also Collision Detection in game and different scenarios of RvR seems worth the move to me.

Dard

Part of the furniture
I'm sure i read somwhere that current daoc players will be invited to play in open beta (or some such thing), i got the impression then that maybe they (Mythic/EA) already have the feeling that WaR will seriously dent the DAoC population.

PS. If i didnt read that somwhere ignore me, im talking bollocks :)

Windwalka1

Fledgling Freddie
if they make it an improvement from daoc, same playstyle same basic ideas, just with warhammer characters, i think the game could be very entertaining! and at least they chose warhammer and not 40k!

p.s. lv u dard. renewing soon ;)

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Dard said:
I'm sure i read somwhere that current daoc players will be invited to play in open beta (or some such thing), i got the impression then that maybe they (Mythic/EA) already have the feeling that WaR will seriously dent the DAoC population.

PS. If i didnt read that somwhere ignore me, im talking bollocks :)

There was something about most active players and those that have tested a lot on Pendragon getting a chance. But it was just something they were planning at that point.
Here is the Beta schedule so far:

Here are some handy definitions of what the different phases of beta are. I also provide, for the first time, some extremely vague and tentative dates. Some of you have already won betas, and to spare you the whole "having to read" thing, you are listed as "Early Spring 2007." In theory and indeed in schedule, it may be sooner than that - but I am a bitter, cranky, old community weenie who has been through many betas, and I no longer believe in anything I can't grasp in my withered talons.

Alpha: What we are in now. I made the grievous error of calling it a very early beta, for which I am terminally sorry. I will regret that until I die. Alpha does not have anyone playing who does not draw a paycheck from Mythic.

Double Secret Beta: What we will be in "Soon, TM." That is just beyond alpha, and includes people who draw paychecks from Mythic and our partners. Summer 2006

First Stage of Closed Beta (Beta 1): Sometimes called "Friends and Family," somewhat inaccurately, this is a stage where there is actually a game, but it is not usually very complete or even stable for that matter. People who don't work here are in this stage, but usually fewer than a hundred, and they are nearly all such old, old friends that they are often mistaken for employees. Fall 2006

Beta 1.7, After Things Stop Going Boom Every Day: This is the stage you'll start seeing community testers. People who have tested for Mythic for years, or have been otherwise recommended to us as quality volunteer testers, are starting to be included. There is usually a restriction on how many people get in at this point, and often perfectly wonderful people are left out. TENTATIVE DATE: Early 2007

Beta 2: Still closed and covered under NDA, invitees include prize winners, guilds that win the guild contest, and some members of the print and web media - usually the ones we have relationships with. People who work at GW retail shops are getting in here, and we've got some plans for existing Dark Age of Camelot players to be invited to check out their new sibling. There will be up to a thousand people by the end of Beta 2. TENTATIVE DATE: Early Spring 2007

Beta 3: Closed, NDA. This is where Lady Luck will wave her wand. We will be choosing randomly from the giant pool of people who are subscribed to our newsletter. This phase will have thousands of people invited, possibly as many as ten thousand. TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007

Final Beta: No NDA. Because there is no NDA, people often refer to this as "open beta." But I wanted to be really clear with you guys - we are not planning the kind of open beta where everyone with internet access can download the game and hop in. That's nutty. Right now, we are tentatively considering having everyone who pre-orders the game invited to this phase of beta. This phase will also invite winners from our big media promotions. TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007

Windwalka1

Fledgling Freddie
Sollac said:
now heres an idea....

cluster with french and german.

move classes as follows......english servers to albion, french to hibernia and german to midgard.

give all those that move realm a free equivalent character with same equipment or plat equivalent.

That would make RVR much more interesting.. could reinact agincourt outside dun behn with hundreds of scouts doing /rude.

:p

quote yeah u didnt really think that thru, i despise alb classes...not cos they alb, but just their general styles, infil= more borin to play than NS, caster classes = less fun, cept sorc. etc i cud go on, but well in theory was a semi nice idea but well...no! :p

daoc will live and i spose we'll have to co-exist with the frenchies and the germans... alot of them can speak english anyway, and i enjoy tryin to improve my languages :)

and yeah then we can move to american servers, cos i hear theyre clustering the japanese with the US servers

Tempra

Fledgling Freddie
Think there are many yes and no here...

Some state daoc is best like (Able) "daoc=best pvp game ever made by mythic"

Hate to break it to you, Ultima online pre pub 16 is and will perhaps always be best mmorpg PVP based ever, The major revolution to the mmorpg/internet scene and made other companies start drooling.

That mythic has experience of creating a mmorpg / Daoc is true, question is what game will they throw the blasting powder on?

I doubt they will fully support 2 mmorpg's at the same time, no other company has done it (beside lord.Britsh" company who seems to spit out quite bad mmorpg's.

Alot speaks agaist daoc as i see it, WoW that i personally dont like (have played it made 3 60's that i sold) end content was really crap i think like counterstrike or something in fantasy world.

Daoc has like 10 years on there neck, ppl's demands for new item's,new quests new this and new that puts more and more presure on the game ppl keep saying to there self IF they only do this and do that game will be great.

Personally i dont trust EA, sence unless im misstaking are involved somewhere in the process.Cant forget what they did to Ultima online.

So in short.

Daoc - 10 years old players are starting to get fed up.

WHO - new fresh, can be very intresting some popcorn,coke etc and they might actually have something..

Guess we all must wait until we have played it and perhaps 1-2 years from that we will know the fate of either one.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Yes, especially as Dawn of War (Warhammer 40k) Dark Crusade JUST came out recently. :]

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
you seem an a fairly intelligent chap gimmly so i really dont understand your hatred of GOA, you got caught selling 3rd party programs and banned which is probably the same reason your second account got banned. not saying you were selling at the time of your second ban but a life time ban is a life time ban. in your case they banned not only your account but you too. take it like a man and learn from your mistake and hope that they let you play warhammer (if you want to play it that is)

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
it will kill it, more or less, myself going to WAR tho, time to start something new! :)

eble

Fledgling Freddie
WAR will have a big impact on DAOC but it wont kill it EA will :

with, most of Mythics resources now being used on WAR, what can we have to look forward to?

This is the story of an old MMO EA ran for 2 years: it had about 35,000 subs paying people when closed:

Quote:
Earth & Beyond Says Goodbye
Starting September 22, 2004, Earth & Beyond will no longer be in service. After an amazing two years of galactic adventure, Electronic Arts has made the decision to close Earth & Beyond in order to focus resources on future games.

Please check your email associated with your Earth & Beyond game account for updates and more information on what this closure means to you. We hope you've enjoyed the game as much as we have and that we'll see you again in another great EA game!

For more information, please visit www.enb.com.

Thank you,
The Earth & Beyond Team

and...

Quote:
: Now that EARTH AND BEYOND has announced that it will be Sunset what do I do now?
A: If you are currently an active Earth and Beyond subscriber, you will be eligible to receive a free copy of Ultima Online (UO) or The Sims Online (TSO) (INSERT war HERE PERHAPS?)if you are over the age of 13. Similar to EARTH AND BEYOND, these games take place in online persistent state worlds with thriving communities. Both games come with 30-day free trial period. To redeem your copy, please contact us at 1.866.543.5435 (24 hours per day) or 1.512.434.6740 (9:00a to 6:00p Central Time). if you are outside of the United States. Please note that this offer expires on 09/01/04, and your EARTH AND BEYOND account will be closed when you redeem your copy of the free game.

Quote:
Q: What does "Sunset" mean and how does it relate to EARTH AND BEYOND?
A: The four EARTH AND BEYOND servers (Andromeda, Pegasus, Orion, and Galileo) will continue to operate and will be maintained until 09/22/04. Starting 09/22/04, 12:01 AM GMT, these servers will be disconnected and no players will be able to log into them. Please note that GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time. Depending on where you are located, 12:01 AM GMT on 09/22/04 might be 09/21/04 in your local area.

Only guessing, but dont be all that confident that becuase you pay monthly subs we are safe.

Anyway a free copy of WAR would be nice in about 12 months

all info obtained from :

http://enb.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/

Eble

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Quote Arcsalin from Pryd.net, "I still see no reason to go from daoc to warhammer. Graphics and game looks to me at least like a pile of poo. I did some beta testing on Dungeons and Dragons online. I will still beta test any future games of this ilk, regardless of which company makes them. The one that makes the most impact with me is likely to see me stay there for the duration it interests me. Atm I am looking forward to lord of the rings online shadows of angmar, but I know there are also some nice beta's coming up for 2007 that do not include warhammer. Dark age of camelot for me at least is still a nice game at this moment in time and I really don't see what the fuss is about with warhammer, it really does not entice me :) "

I said this earlier this year, I still have no reason to change my mind ;)

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Good luck to those thinking of staying, without a euro cluster the excal/pryd cluster will be dead.

I mean its not exactly full of action at the moment, we still get the odd few days of mayhem but nothing to write home about.

You might not move to WAR but you will move somewhere, else you will be running round NF solo with no one in sight.

Now cluster the english servers with the german/french ones and this game will have some time left in it.

Eble

ZiggY

One of Freddy's beloved
I wonder how many accounts you will need to compete!

kivik

Part of the furniture
When this thread was started I thought WAR would have just the same effect as SWG/WoW, but now I'm pretty sure. DAoC will most likely die out when WAR is released :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
ZiggY said:
I wonder how many accounts you will need to compete!
one, like daoc i imagine, can get buffs from other people.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
one, like daoc i imagine, can get buffs from other people.

its been said pretty many times that there wont be any pure healers/buffers in WAR, so it will properly be a huge mix, all chars are viable of dealing good damage.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Dr_Evil said:
People have way too high expectations, WAR's gonna be crap compared to DAOC! (gonna be better than WoW, but nothing can beat DAOC).
When I said this 2 months ago I didn't know much about WAR, and only guessing.

Now I've seen the ingame videos and here's my response:
Kimkasper said:
After seeing this, I'm now 100% sure this game is definitely not for me. The graphics is crap, the characters move as if in an old nintendo game (Street Fighters), I'm getting stressed by watching them when they're "standing still" (moving up and down, side to side as if they need to pee). This looks like WoW 2. It seems they're making this game even simpler (more easymode) than what DAOC have evolved into lately. There's nothing about this game I like. :doh:

DAOC has imo:
*better graphics, looks more realistic (less cartoonish)
*better gameplay (by the looks)
*more appeal (vikings etc)

It seems like a smart marketing tactic though, to steal WoW's playerbase by making an improved "WoW-game", and at the same time making it less appealing to us who play DAOC and wouldn't dream of playing WoW. This way they keep the DAOC playerbase playing DAOC, but earn more money by leeching off WoW. :$
The chance of me playing WAR is the same as the chance of me playing WoW: Not gonna happen. There's only 1 of the future games that've got me interested so far, and that's Age of Conan. While I have high hopes for this game, and it's pretty amazing, I expect that I will get disappointed at some point by this game also because it's impossible it can be better than DAOC in every aspect.

Age of Conan has imo:
*the best graphics I've ever seen, looks very realistic (no cartoons here)
*more realistic gameplay (unknown if it's gonna be better than DAOC)
*very high appeal (I'm a Conan fan and it appeals to me almost as much as the Midgard realm of DAOC wich is based on my own culture)

Quickben

Fledgling Freddie
my first reply after 3yrs of playing (with breaks)... /shame

DAoC has something other online games dosn`t have... RvR... WoW which i unfortunatly have and still keep playing has one major glitch if u rule out the PvE part which i realy do enjoy.

WoW lacks the pvp/rvr feeling you get when entering NF. There are no massive battles and u are not reliant on team play when u enter Alterec Valley. WoW is currently a PvE game and has great flaws when it comes to the aspect of guild/faction combat.

So DAoC will be immortalized untill some smartass actually develops a similar competative game play. RvR and Mythics NF is the ONLY reason i came bk from WoW... and my beloved Ilfirin Arda (exca - hib) ofc.

When people allso talk about the clustering of all EU servers... They should consider doing it sooner than later. The only flaw i find in the game still is the decreasing nummbers that u see on the servers. Actually having a full groupe to lvl with up to 50 is something i don`t see anymore...

Take the people that are still playing and bring them together... unite them not divide and conquere (u know what im trying to spell).

Well hope u can make some sence of this :)

LONG LIVE DAOC AND NEW FRONTIERS!!!!!!! /CHEER

Quick

Quickben - 50 Enchanter (Exca)
Malfurion - 50 Animist (Exca)
Wiskeyjack - 50 Hero (Exca)
Erebos - 50 Ranger (Exca)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
Why dont they just spend the time now , taking Daoc , sorting out the crap imbalances, give back a old frontier style RvR zone (not the actual old frontier tho , i mean change it but not make it silly large like NF) then jiggle the graphics a bit, add some new classes, bit of juggery pokery..

Change the name to , War of the Dark Ages or Arthurs a gimp or something, Re release it but actually advertise, there ya go, Daoc2, new player influx from the different name and adverts and happy daoc fans..

But in all seriousness, i agree, nothing i have seen or played has been as good as Daoc since i started playing it, Guild Wars held my attention for a while but tbh i think the pvp is a bit crap tbh, and after watching the Warhammer Demo i almost died laughing at how fucking abysmal it really looked. I wont be trying it , trust me. And it didnt look remotely like a Daoc2 in style or anything, in fact it looked like a puddle of sick tbh.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
warhammer .. it might take alot of daoc players but at the end of the day they come up with another genious pvp idea which will suck and ppl reroll daoc again

erm, which is exactly what they are doing wth WArhammer.

Take the best bits of all mmo's out at the moment, add in the daoc RvR system... and you have something like what warhammer will be.

For daoc RvR fans, it will be THE game to play
For GW fans it will be THE game to play

thats allready a LOT of people.

/shrug

Time will tell...

NAHKRI

Fledgling Freddie
I think mythic deserves some respect,they came out of nowhere and made 1 of the best mmos on the market,which was already full of mmos and where companies filled with money like microsoft failled with their asherons call 2.
Ofc it never was so popular like other games becouse mythic never had the big money for big advertising campaings like sony,microsoft,lucas etc but still all who played it agreed that its 1 of the best mmos on the market,ofc it has its own problems nothing is perfect but that doesnt chage the fact that even today with all this new mmos and wow around its still considered 1 of the best mmos on the market.
Now mythic guys should be proud of this and i hope they r couse i refuse to believe that they gona just trow away their creation in which they put a lot of effort and which they managed to get it to the top of the best mmos,for ea and their money.
So i hope they told ea something like:k we gona do warhammer for u and we gonna do it good so u gona get lots of money from it but u let us keep daoc and help us promote the game.
But if all they care is money and dont give a shit about their best creation then yes warhammer will kill daoc no doubt about it.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Ah, awaiting the advertisement on TV!.. oops :(
Seriously though, I think/fear we will see no advertisement on TV (when WoW was nearly released you couldn't turn on your TV without an advert from WoW) and therefor I think it will hit nowhere near the amount of subs that WoW has/had.
Sure alot of DAoC players will play it but if that's all the population it's going get it will well suck, people keep mentioning EA's extreme marketing skills but I can't even remember the last time I saw something from them on the tellie.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Andrilyn said:
Ah, awaiting the advertisement on TV!.. oops :(
Seriously though, I think/fear we will see no advertisement on TV (when WoW was nearly released you couldn't turn on your TV without an advert from WoW) and therefor I think it will hit nowhere near the amount of subs that WoW has/had.
Sure alot of DAoC players will play it but if that's all the population it's going get it will well suck, people keep mentioning EA's extreme marketing skills but I can't even remember the last time I saw something from them on the tellie.

hmm, weird, I see ads from EA quite often tbh, thats in sweden. Hell, I know their slogan which is awful since i hate commercials. Its in the game :<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom