• No, DAOC forever!

Votes: 206 22.5%
  • Care?

Votes: 112 12.2%

• Total voters

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Its a question I keep asking myself?

Seeing as Mythic are throwing all sort of stuff at Daoc now, they will probably be trying stuff out for the new Warhammer rpg

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
It's gonna kill it just as much as SWG/WoW/EQ2/DDO(lol @ that one worst mmo ever made) did...

And no this one isn't going to be different. All the others were gonna be different as well and daoc is still alive.

I'm not saying it's the healthiest mmo out there... I'm just saying that it won't die anytime soon :p

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
remember there is still potential to cluster french/german/english servers if REALLY needed ... daoc is only really gonna die when theres 1 cluster on EU left with below 1k people on it. Even then people can just move to US

having said that I think warhammer will reduce daoc player numbers alot

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Pirkel said:
It's gonna kill it just as much as SWG/WoW/EQ2/DDO(lol @ that one worst mmo ever made) did...

WoW took a rather large chunk out of the number of active players though. It's hard to judge how many subscribers dropped, as people may have continued with their subscriptions and came back at a later date.

Will it kill it? No.

Will it hurt the DAoC playerbase? Yes.

Mythic are creating a game with new Realm vs Realm combat, which is the one major selling point of DAoC. It'll be a brand new version, with loads of new players and hopefully a more balanced game. A large number of players may prefer it to Dark Age of Buffalot! :p

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
Well it's not up for release in quite a long time, so why bother now?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
it will be out in the later part of 2007, quite a while to wait so i wouldnt worry about daoc to much tbh

Vonwar

One of Freddy's beloved
I think DaoC will take a servere hit on player numbers, but release in second half of 2007 i want to see before i believe it.

Since release of DaoC we have seen several other mmorpg's beeing released much later than first announced. I dont worry now, i will see how much fun DaoC is in the autum of 2007 / spring 2008 or whenever warhammer is comming out.

An important point to keep DaoC alive will be a multil lingual skin so that we can have clustering with german and french servers, and secondly that Mythic keep up the good work in making extra features and additions to DaoC.

If there is no service with new stuff in DaoC the game will die no matter of Warhammer or not. New stuff is vital.

Rgds

Vonwar

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
from what ive seen of warhammer they've tried to copy WoW too much. so i doubt itll be a huge success cos at teh end of the day if u wanna play WoW, you go play WoW :)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Konah said:
from what ive seen of warhammer they've tried to copy WoW too much. so i doubt itll be a huge success cos at teh end of the day if u wanna play WoW, you go play WoW :)

if i remember rightly is was actually WoW that took inspiration off warhammer for there game, for those that have played warhammer and other games workshop stuff, the graphics are spot on to there models.

Warhammer already has a good brand name in the market, so i think it will do quiet well. Think mythics executives were looking at how much money WoW was making and went, "i want some of that". Then they made the decsion that warhammer would make more money for them than imperetor.

:m00:

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

And yes it will.

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
""Warhammer already has a good brand name in the market, so i think it will do quiet well.""

2 words about Good Brand Names : Star Wars....

:(

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
they have a good brand name and mythic seem to be a'right at making MMORPGs (heck we're all still playing ;) or if not playing talking about it :p)

I expect there will be a hit - a lot of daocers will go to warhammer, however it's looking like it's a different game - it's not the same.

So probably just have the same effect as WoW or whatever.

Even the launch of EQ2 failed to kill EQ1 ;)

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
It depends what Warhammer ends up being like. If it has most elements of daoc, but serves them better, it will probably kill daoc. If it's different, it won't. Then it's just another doomsday game like wow etc which were supposed to kill daoc ;)

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Wow could well have killed daoc almost instantly if it wasn't for the fact the PVP totally sux.

Warhammer is being built around the Daoc mould, with the addition of a few new things, like home invasion and the like, so the thought of trying something new (with good PVP/RVR at the end will attract people)

It will have an impact but I read somewhere recently that Myhic will maintain Daoc whilst its commercially viable.

Eble

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
I think it will, it is mythics natural sucsessor to DAOC, it will be similar playstyle but better in most ways. They will focus on warhammer and less so on daoc, i think ill be heading warhammer most likely :)

rawr

Fledgling Freddie
[NO]Subedai said:
I think it will, it is mythics natural sucsessor to DAOC, it will be similar playstyle but better in most ways. They will focus on warhammer and less so on daoc, i think ill be heading warhammer most likely :)
all depends on what the game has to offer really. daoc has by far the best pvp of any game in the same genre atm, which is its biggest strength. warhammer will definately suck the playerbase just like WoW but i doubt daoc will truly die until servers are closed.
on the plus side, this could be seen as the first 'doomsday' game for WoW? it already has a huge fanbase much like WoW did :)

Nemlius

Fledgling Freddie
is way to little info atm out on warhammer to say if it will kill daoc...... how much pve will there be ...60 ..70 lvls maybe who knows ..whats the pvp like there ..noone knows yet ..can only be better then WoW pvp :p
Warhammer will attract all those warhammer " nerds" that have played the table game also and are MANY MANY of that kinda people..only time will tell :)
i know i will be t rying warhammer for sure

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Comparing games of the MMO genre is damn hard, lots say "WoW has new xxx" which is bull as all new games just steal bits of others and brand it their own, WoW and its fanbois are the worst at this.

Some have even said "Oh look, DAoC 2 is coming!", but is it really? You could say they just changed Norsemen for Orcs, Avalonians for Gargoyles etc and rebadged DAoC (as maybe it should be) as a new game, but you could say that about any MMO.

Warhammer is coming at the right time, as many WoWittes are finding the end game dull and repeatative, but their own stupid pride makes them say "I wont go back to DAoC/UO/SWG!" because they feel its a step backwards. So, I think WH will do the player base of a lot of games, especially WoW a huge amount of damage, IF it turns out to have as good an RvR system as Dark Ages always has.

Kill DAoC - maybe, hurt it - definately. Personally I think its poor judgement in Mythics part taking this on, and leaving behind all they have put into our beloved game.

P

Pretarded

scorge said:
if i remember rightly is was actually WoW that took inspiration off warhammer for there game, for those that have played warhammer and other games workshop stuff, the graphics are spot on to there models.

Warhammer already has a good brand name in the market, so i think it will do quiet well. Think mythics executives were looking at how much money WoW was making and went, "i want some of that". Then they made the decsion that warhammer would make more money for them than imperetor.

:m00:
It doesnt matter who took inspiration first tho, WoW is already out there and Warhammer is not. So people will think that Warhammer looks like WoW, not the other way around.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Pretarded said:
It doesnt matter who took inspiration first tho, WoW is already out there and Warhammer is not. So people will think that Warhammer looks like WoW, not the other way around.

hehehe look at this

rawr

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Comparing games of the MMO genre is damn hard, lots say "WoW has new xxx" which is bull as all new games just steal bits of others and brand it their own, WoW and its fanbois are the worst at this.

Some have even said "Oh look, DAoC 2 is coming!", but is it really? You could say they just changed Norsemen for Orcs, Avalonians for Gargoyles etc and rebadged DAoC (as maybe it should be) as a new game, but you could say that about any MMO.

Warhammer is coming at the right time, as many WoWittes are finding the end game dull and repeatative, but their own stupid pride makes them say "I wont go back to DAoC/UO/SWG!" because they feel its a step backwards. So, I think WH will do the player base of a lot of games, especially WoW a huge amount of damage, IF it turns out to have as good an RvR system as Dark Ages always has.

Kill DAoC - maybe, hurt it - definately. Personally I think its poor judgement in Mythics part taking this on, and leaving behind all they have put into our beloved game.
another possibility is that people see the pvp that Mythic has brought forward into WH (i assume it would be equal or better than daoc) and decide to investigate into daoc, finally giving it the credit it deserves. people will always come and go, it happens in every game no matter how old it is.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thadius said:
Its a question I keep asking myself?

Seeing as Mythic are throwing all sort of stuff at Daoc now, they will probably be trying stuff out for the new Warhammer rpg

yay, another doom thread. if WoW didnt manage to kill DAoC, then i very much doubt that warhammer will even get close to be a threat.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
the answer is pretty obvious as mmos are the big market of the coming years, everyone's hopping on the train to get a piece of the cake and the result are mainstream products like wow, stuff that attracts ppl, stuff that works...

You won't be experimenting coz that might as well backfire so u stick to old concepts and add a few improvements

Just look at what they mentioned up to now, instanced pvp but to avoid queues balanced by bots

Hell I've even read that they will be able to set up all sorts of "maps" making ctf etc available

With all that competetion coming up u need to attract the average gamers, casuals as well as hardcore players...

We've seen Mythics addon sale boosting strategies as well as we've seen them dumping their whole rvr concept bringing it back in with a gift wrap around it ...

Now do you really think we'll get another daoc ? Or more like a WoW where u don't go out to collect 20 panda genitals but kill 20 "of the opposing faction" to get a sword of utter ugliness or an axe of paddy

WAR will not kill an already dead game but mythic said it theirselfs, it won't be Daoc2. They have learned what works for the public, lost thousands of customers experimenting with good and bad concepts, but if u really think they will focus on making a good game over making money then u really spent ur daoc time with closed eyes...

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I know a lot from my guild, including me, will be going off to try Warhammer. Of course if it turns out to be crap i'll be back to DAoC. I have done it with a few games so far and have always returned to Camelot. Of course this time, Warhammer might be the game to kill off DAoC.

As for the WoW/Warhammer comparisions. I think Warhammer came first and Warcraft copied it. Of course that won't matter because WoW came first as an online game so to Johnny Punter who currently plays WoW and doesn't know the history will think Warhammer is a copy.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Aint saying it wont be good, as I have no clue if it will or not, but I don't reallylike the Graphical Apperance in Warhammer.

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:

The big difference this time Pirkle, is the game is made by Mythic, who hopefully have learned so much from their mistakes in DAoC and they are already promting the RvR aspec of the game. An aspect of the MMO genre that Mythic are unquestionably champion of.

Although the other MMO's havent really killed off DAoC, I think WAR might just be the start of the downward spiral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom