Votes: 206 22.5%
  • Care?

Votes: 112 12.2%

• Total voters

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Ballard said:
is that so.... http://www.mmorpg.com/
Guess what the most anticipated mmorpg is. Plenty of players in guild wars have heard about it, i hear it getting mentioned when i play.

well only on these forums warhammer is the discussion as big as wow was on all boards befor it was released.

do you think warhammer will be as big as wow?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
nah hopefully not :) If a game gets too big I think the community does not bond like it does in smaller games. Still it pays to remember the game is at least 1.5 years away (fall 2007) would be foolish to start advertising now. If i recall the wow marketing blitz didnt really start till about 6-9 months before release (other than fanbois clogging up forums that was a good year to 2 years before release).

Caracca

Fledgling Freddie
Nemlius said:
is way to little info atm out on warhammer to say if it will kill daoc...... how much pve will there be ...60 ..70 lvls maybe who knows ..whats the pvp like there ..noone knows yet ..can only be better then WoW pvp :p
Warhammer will attract all those warhammer " nerds" that have played the table game also and are MANY MANY of that kinda people..only time will tell :)
i know i will be t rying warhammer for sure

it isn't a level game. it's a skillgame. you'll stay like lvl 1 to 4ish etc. orc's grow bigger, dwarfs get longer beards etc . stuff like that is the thing where you can detirmin, about what "level" a player is

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Caracca said:
it isn't a level game. it's a skillgame. you'll stay like lvl 1 to 4ish etc. orc's grow bigger, dwarfs get longer beards etc . stuff like that is the thing where you can detirmin, about what "level" a player is

so you won't get any cons? as in grey green blue yellow orange red purple?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
so you won't get any cons? as in grey green blue yellow orange red purple?

There will probably be ways to recognize how challenging a monster/encounter/quest is. As was said above though, there isnt a true "leveling" system as we are used to. There will be 4 levels, each with 10 sublevels, but those sublevels will not translate directly to being more powerful - each sublevel will give you the option of training another packet of skills/spells/abilities. One example that has been given is that you could opt to train riding skills early, or be better at combat or exploration etc - someone that is level 2.10 will have more skills than someone that is f.ex. level 2.2. but he wont be immedietly more powerful, he will have more options. Im guessing there is a linear power increase (as in more hitpoints/spellpoints/whatever) once you level to a new proper level though.

Im guessing they are thinking something like the old third or fourth edition (i think) of the warhammer boardgame where modells were either ordinary soldiers or champions, heroes or lords.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
""""""Combat

The combat system we were shown was not a reflection of the final product. What is planned is a three tier system.

“Combat needs to be exciting, but not overly taxing,” was another of Barnett’s mantras.

advertisement
First comes the strategy. Each player has a strategy bar, which are essentially pre-loaded buffs. You can equip and unequip these based on the enemies you expect to face. A simplistic example is that if the spellcaster is going to fight the fire giant, he better bring an ice buff. Players have a limited number of slots and some tactics can span multiple slots. As you advance, you gain more slots and more tactics. You can even make older tactics smaller.
The second phase of combat is simple enough. You have a hot-bar and special moves. The game does employ auto-attack, so think of this essentially as you would Dark Age of Camelot or any other MMORPG.

Then comes morale. As you take part in combat, you gain morale. As this bar fills, there are different special moves you can use. To use one though resets your morale. It becomes a balancing act. There are five levels of morale moves you can use, each stronger, but each requiring more morale. Do you wait or do you use it early?

These were invented partly as an answer to the more subdued combat that Games Workshop prefers. In most MMOs, even the simplest buff brings down insane bling. Normal combat does not in Warhammer, but morale moves do. They keep things interesting.

As players advance, they gain new moves they can slot in. Also, morale fades away when the character is not involved in combat.

Another neat thing players will immediately notice in Warhammer Online's combat is collision detection. They’re not yet sure if they’ll keep it for the final release, but it is there now. Players cannot run through enemies characters in RvR situations."""""""""""""""

gah.. gah... gaaaaah...

seem quite interesting tbh. :eek6:

K

Karath

The interesting thing is that i cant really find any point to moan about whats been said about the game... So far... methinks what information we are getting is being constantly looked at so far as keeping specific groups (DAoC players for example) generally positive about the development of the game...

Pritty clever if they keep it up.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Karath said:
The interesting thing is that i cant really find any point to moan about whats been said about the game... So far... methinks what information we are getting is being constantly looked at so far as keeping specific groups (DAoC players for example) generally positive about the development of the game...

Pritty clever if they keep it up.

daoc players is a large group though.

about hm 10k on live?
and about 5k on free shard
and allot in US :)

wow players know about it, and are eager to join it because they think it's somekind of wow with pvp

guildwars people, only some heard of it..

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
daoc players is a large group though.

about hm 10k on live?
and about 5k on free shard
and allot in US :)

wow players know about it, and are eager to join it because they think it's somekind of wow with pvp

guildwars people, only some heard of it..

North America 10,344
GOA Europe 6,970
Worldwide 17,357

from mythics site at 00:39 cet, and 5k players on freeshards, have you been smoking ? :p

theres maybe, 7-800 playing at once, on a good night..

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Dallas said:
North America 10,344
GOA Europe 6,970
Worldwide 17,357

from mythics site at 00:39 cet, and 5k players on freeshards, have you been smoking ? :p

theres maybe, 7-800 playing at once, on a good night..

smoking huh, just coz i live in holland? :p

so world wide 17k live.
5k freeshards.. only on dol servers maybe.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
People in DAoC overrate the RvR in my opinion. The only bit I miss from the RvR in DAoC is the keep action.

I play WoW at the moment on a PvP server. Random fights at any time while leveling are fun. It's not all spamming one button with a must get realm ability. You have certain abilities to counter other abilities. You have to react correctly to that certain situation. You have to react quickly. Yes, there's still the items to get to be able to compete. Capture the flag can be fun for abit, but it does get abit boring. Hell, I could have played UT for that.

If WAR mixes what DAoC has to offer, along with what the PvP servers on WoW and leveling have to offer, it'll be an awesome game imo.

Will it kill DAoC? Only time will tell, though it's already dead for me.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Alliandre said:
People in DAoC overrate the RvR in my opinion. The only bit I miss from the RvR in DAoC is the keep action.

Serious question, Did you ever play in a set full group that aimed for fg fights? Keep action can be fun but it is really only the tip of the iceberg for rvr in DAOC.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Alliandre said:

I play WoW at the moment on a PvP server. Random fights at any time while leveling are fun. It's not all spamming one button with a must get realm ability. You have certain abilities to counter other abilities. You have to react correctly to that certain situation. You have to react quickly. Yes, there's still the items to get to be able to compete. Capture the flag can be fun for abit, but it does get abit boring. Hell, I could have played UT for that.

If WAR mixes what DAoC has to offer, along with what the PvP servers on WoW and leveling have to offer, it'll be an awesome game imo.

Will it kill DAoC? Only time will tell, though it's already dead for me.

I don't say this often ... but I couldn't disagree with you more.

Then again if keep action was the one thing you miss and liked most out of RvR you didn't play anywhere near the same game I play and enjoy very much. So I guess we can't compare really :(

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Impossible to say really, depends if they put the same magic DAoC has into warhammer, with leveling, grouping, and rvr aswell as abilities etc, then its a very likely possibility. Its even possible that mythic are wanting to kill dark age of camelot so their customers go over to warhammer to make a more lively new game, and then they can close dark age of camelot without any whine.

just my 2c.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
A lot of good points covered. As said, Warhammer is a very strong IP but, unlike Lucasarts/films, games workshop have been extremely protective over it. There haven't been (m)any bad Warhammer releases on the IP. All indications from Mythic (and GW who are doing some of the interviews) are an extremely positive and strong relationship.

Will it kill DAoC? It *should*. Yes, other games have been toted as DAoC-killers but none of them offered the RvR of DAoC. WAR will and, since it really is designed from the ground up for it, probably/hopefully do it better.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Personally i do think WAR will kill daoc, not only because Miffic are a small company still, and i doubt they will put much effort into DAoC once WAR is out, thats just gunna piss everyone off.

Looking at WAR Vs WoW you can say they look similar... but come on, its hard to make games that both have Dwarfs Elves Orcs and such look THAT different. Having a similar graphic style is not to compete with WoW imo or attract little kids (tho its prob a nice bonus for Miffic)
They have similar graphics because having a cartoon type feel (cartoon may be the wrong word but i think you know what i mean) gives to major advantages.

1 - More people can play you game, you dont need a super powerhouse of a PC if its like that

2 - Its a PvP game, could you imagine having 200+ peeps on a relic raid or (in War) attacking a capital city if they all looked like characters from Oblivion or Half life 2? your grphics card would jump outa your computer, run across your desk and spit in you eye! it would not have a good day.
It helps that Games workshop have input aswell cos i cant think of a single games workshop computergame that has not been good!

Anyway i think the two games have a big difference in how they will look. Orcs in WoW will look carebear compared to WaR!! Have you not seen the screenshots and concept art! just look in your local games workshop store and see how different they look.

Nothing in WoW is scary, in WaR im going to go Chaos and i bet ill look very VERY ugly... Who do you honestly think would win a fight between a WoW Dwarf with his crappy bear and a gun, Or a WaR Dwarf with a bear down to his toes and a nose you could bask a door down with!!!

Be careful people... the WaR is coming....

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Airalith said:
Personally i do think WAR will kill daoc, not only because Miffic are a small company still, and i doubt they will put much effort into DAoC once WAR is out, thats just gunna piss everyone off.

Looking at WAR Vs WoW you can say they look similar... but come on, its hard to make games that both have Dwarfs Elves Orcs and such look THAT different. Having a similar graphic style is not to compete with WoW imo or attract little kids (tho its prob a nice bonus for Miffic)
They have similar graphics because having a cartoon type feel (cartoon may be the wrong word but i think you know what i mean) gives to major advantages.

1 - More people can play you game, you dont need a super powerhouse of a PC if its like that

2 - Its a PvP game, could you imagine having 200+ peeps on a relic raid or (in War) attacking a capital city if they all looked like characters from Oblivion or Half life 2? your grphics card would jump outa your computer, run across your desk and spit in you eye! it would not have a good day.
It helps that Games workshop have input aswell cos i cant think of a single games workshop computergame that has not been good!

Anyway i think the two games have a big difference in how they will look. Orcs in WoW will look carebear compared to WaR!! Have you not seen the screenshots and concept art! just look in your local games workshop store and see how different they look.

Nothing in WoW is scary, in WaR im going to go Chaos and i bet ill look very VERY ugly... Who do you honestly think would win a fight between a WoW Dwarf with his crappy bear and a gun, Or a WaR Dwarf with a bear down to his toes and a nose you could bask a door down with!!!

Be careful people... the WaR is coming....

1. Spelling Mythic like Miffic is just plain anoying make you sound like a chav,

2. Eveyone and there month is going Chaos it will be the one side I will aviod.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Airalith said:
Looking at WAR Vs WoW you can say they look similar...

As was said in this thread, WoW drew a lot of its inspiration from the (massively fleshed) Warhammer world. Warhammer is much, much older.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
UndyingAngel said:
1. Spelling Mythic like Miffic is just plain anoying make you sound like a chav,

2. Eveyone and there month is going Chaos it will be the one side I will aviod.

and their month eh? ok whatever. How about trying to actually make a point not attacking how i choose to spell a word.

"As was said in this thread, WoW drew a lot of its inspiration from the (massively fleshed) Warhammer world. Warhammer is much, much older." Im not trying to argue that point, i just chose not to repeat whats been said, the only reason i mentioned it is because most people look at games on a graphics level, this is fine we all do it. But cosidering most DAoC players (and that then means most WaR players) want good PvP just thought it was worth pointing out you will ont get a game like Linage 2 in the graphics department if u want mass PvP

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Airalith said:
and their month eh? ok whatever. How about trying to actually make a point not attacking how i choose to spell a word.

"As was said in this thread, WoW drew a lot of its inspiration from the (massively fleshed) Warhammer world. Warhammer is much, much older." Im not trying to argue that point, i just chose not to repeat whats been said, the only reason i mentioned it is because most people look at games on a graphics level, this is fine we all do it. But cosidering most DAoC players (and that then means most WaR players) want good PvP just thought it was worth pointing out you will ont get a game like Linage 2 in the graphics department if u want mass PvP

1st read my sig b4 you abuse my spelling/error that was surpost to be Mother

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Nightchill said:
A lot of good points covered. As said, Warhammer is a very strong IP but, unlike Lucasarts/films, games workshop have been extremely protective over it. There haven't been (m)any bad Warhammer releases on the IP. All indications from Mythic (and GW who are doing some of the interviews) are an extremely positive and strong relationship.

Will it kill DAoC? It *should*. Yes, other games have been toted as DAoC-killers but none of them offered the RvR of DAoC. WAR will and, since it really is designed from the ground up for it, probably/hopefully do it better.

Kinda how I see it too and, I soooo hope you are right about the PvP! If the PvP is good, it will prolly just trash DAoC totally, I just fiddle around in DAoC waiting for warhammer atm, if the RvR is good, I will change in a sec, mainly becaused Im bored with DAoC most of the time these days :)

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
i dont think mythic will mind if war online kills doac.. due to it also being a mythic product and they will be stealing LOTS of customersfrom other games also . hence overall boosting there player custom... also add into that warhammer online players from different games WILL see daoc on mythics website and maybe gibve that a try also..

cos as its been widely noted that goa especially and to an extent mythic didnt advertise daoc v well.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Airalith said:

UndyingAngel im not trying to pick on you i have terrible spelling myself, i just dont see the point in you post.

I just cant see why people link WaR to WoW just because the graphics are slightly similar, the have the same race's and a strong PvP system, also they want to appeal to as wide a base as possible. They look a bit alike however from the WaR screen shots they have a VERY different style

blejs

Loyal Freddie
I votes Yes, but it´s to early to tell atm. The question will be is the pvp gonna be good. Cause if it wont be good it will be same as WoW, ppl will go back to daoc.

X

xGenocidex

I would have said i hope it does kill daoc up until i found out GOA will host Warhammer.. tbh since people in daoc know what GOA are like i don't think anyone with a right mind will play euro servers :/ goa all over again? no thank you very much... so all i can say is! hope it does kill daoc and i hope no one signs upto euro so GOA make no cash

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cut out the grammar crap folks - it gets boring :rolleyes:

- English -

Resident Freddy
I think a large population will move to Warhammer then return to daoc, just like WOW

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Jupitus said:
Cut out the grammar crap folks - it gets boring :rolleyes:

Also it makes you really fat, I tell you, 99% of weight gain cases come from Grammar arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom