Why wait until level 5 to train skills?

A

Avi N'dor

Ok, Daoc noob here, played one evening and got to level 4. Now I'm having a hard time killing this one villanous youth for one quest BUT...

Every guide there says I better save the skill points until I reach level 5. Why is this? I mean, if I (gonna be a ranger) know I'm gonna train a bit of blades or piercing, why shouldn't I train it a bit already at level 3 or 4 to better kill those monster that give good exp? Do I lose something if I do this or is it just for bigger joy when getting to level5? I understand it is gonna open up new abilities for me like bows and pathfinding but I still need a bit of melee so why not train it earlier?

Any enlightment available?

Oh, and what is this "RightNow" thing?

O

old.Hendrick

If you are positively sure on what you want your character to spec in, then there is no problem in doing so from the start. However, many classes receive special abilities on lvl 5 which you may want to spec in right away, so saving those points is a wise choice for some people (armsmen who want to do polearms from the start, archers who want to have a good bow-skill, casters in particular, as they get a new spell line depending on their class).

I think fighters and rogues (except infils maybe) should not worry too much here, given you have looked up the different skills and made a decision you can be sure of it is right.

Also, you may want to try and upgrade your equipment. A yellow weapon (bronze Bastard Sword maybe) can work wonders at soloing enemies.

M

Madonion Slicer

For example a Wizard that wants to spec in Fire has to wait til lvl5 and should save his points til then so Fire is max, but if they are going Earth or Ice then there is no need to wait, you can spec in Ice and Earth as soon as you lvl.

Depending on your class and path you want to follow, you will either want to wait or spec right away.

A

Avi N'dor

Thanks guys!

Since I know melee is going to be a part of my char I think I'm gonna get me some training already now ;)

O

old.Spiritwolf

If I'm starting a class that can spec in a weapon (for example) from lvl 1, that I am sure to use for the duration I always raise it to level 2 just to get the first style available, it makes life easier through 1-5 and doesn't waste points.

More skills to spec in become available at level 5 and they are usually the skills that define your class, so having some points saved up is always a nice treat when you can spend them on reaching lvl 5.

A good idea is to make a plan for your character using the character builder at doac.catacombs.com (I think) and working out exactly how you want your specs to be at certain intervals, e.g. 5,10,15,20, and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread