Why ins't there a 14-day Free Trial on EU Servers?

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah I know there is one if you know somone who has an account already who can give you one, but why can't you simply download it from the GOA-website and start playing the trial?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Agreed there should be one, no excuse not have one now considering most of the servers are no where near full. If GOA want new customers they need to offer at least a 14 day trial on the proper servers and then promote it heavily on all the medium to large gaming sites as well as games magazines.

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
The system GOA has today has a little bit of the feeling of having the players working for them for free, we must spread the word and we must hand out cd-keys and links to downloads for new players.

I could promote this game for you if there was a simple way to download it from your site, then I would only have to post a link to your website on every gamingboard I could find and GOA could spend some money on adverticing themselfs also...

Nowdays when I walk into an EB-gameshop all I see is bloody WoW-posters.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Once 1.75 hits it'd be nice to have a free catacombs client (but SI access) download with the extra town art...

(1.75 allows cats client for normal people in the same way they gave all classic people SI client but not access a while ago)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Ogrelin Blodig said:
The system GOA has today has a little bit of the feeling of having the players working for them for free, we must spread the word and we must hand out cd-keys and links to downloads for new players.
If you introduce someone and they subscribe you get free subscription time for your effort so it is worth something to you.

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
If you introduce someone and they subscribe you get free subscription time for your effort so it is worth something to you.

yes but what about all those potential new costumers that are jumping at the tons of free trials for MMORPG's out there already, come on lets at least jump on the bandwagon, WOW has put MMORPGS in the limelite in europe why dont you just take advantage of all the publicity WOW has already created.

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
Once 1.75 hits it'd be nice to have a free catacombs client (but SI access) download with the extra town art...

(1.75 allows cats client for normal people in the same way they gave all classic people SI client but not access a while ago)

Agree. There are alot good things in this game but they're not necessarily very visible for new player right away, especially if he has never played any MMORPG before. Catacombs client has better graphics so it would give better impression.
For anyone who's played games like Doom 3 or what not, any MMORPG will not look impressive. But SI client looks quite horrible I'd imagine.

Even if they can't make it catacombs client, it would really help there to be downloadable client without need for someone to invite them.
Those are the things people go try out just if they're feeling bored. I tried AO ages ago when there was free 14 day tryout just because it was free.
I can imagine some of those who try them just for fun without much purpose of buying them, actually ending up buying them :)

On a side note, I've met few totally new players on Excal/Hib, who are playing their free tryouts after being invited by friend :)
<waves to people in newbie guild>
One was even gonna buy the game, he was asking in guildchat whether he has to buy the game to continue playing. I wonder if the instructions for how to keep playing are easy to find and understand? I suppose they can just buy the online license to their tryout account and then keep playing..or?

Wholdar

Can't get enough of FH
Belorfyn said:
On a side note, I've met few totally new players on Excal/Hib, who are playing their free tryouts after being invited by friend :)

.. quick side-question, playing again Belorfyn? =)

/j

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Wholdar said:

/j

Atleast hes been logged in since his guild is visible on duskwave ;)

Belor is busted! :)

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:

I know this...I'll get 3 days gameplay or whatever...

The problem is that not many people want to give out there e-mail to a complete stranger. I have during my 3 years in DAoC tried to invite most of my IRL-frinds to daoc, som have started playing, some have not. I want more ppl on my server but I know no more ppl to invite, so I have to get strangers to start playing.

So you see the problem, I can't just go about asking strangers for there e-mailadresses, they will probably think I want to hack their bank account or something...and I don't have time for administrate something like "If you want to try this game e-mail me on this adress" becouse then I'll be stuck infront of my subswebpage typing in e-mailadresses instead of playing the game.

Hope you get my point, my English is somewhat limited.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Wish GOA would think about their advertising abit better, at least this is the case of in England, I've yet to see even a small advert for it. I've seen adverts for WoW, Starwars, Final Fantasy, EQ2, Matrix and even a few fairly unknown ones out there atm, but no DAoC...

I'd have never got into this brill game if not from a friend telling me about it, GOA rely too much on the word of mouth way, its cheap, but not as effective. If they opened up their wallet and finance something, maybe they could pull customers, making some money.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
There is a free trial on the latest PC Gamer cover disc. It is the biggest gaming mag in the UK so that counts for something.

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
i think they need to team up with mythic and all the sites that offer the free download and 14 day trial for the US version, and offer the EU version too.

I'm sure theres plenty of people that are playing on the US servers that could potentially be over here in the EU servers but thanks to them starting on the US servers free trials, have stayed there.

Offering free trials in magazines is defenately the way to go.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
Well Ogrelin Blodig..if u want to send me a private message then i'll quite happily give u my email so u can send me an invite.

Cheers.

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
So, on the PC zone / PC gamer DVDs last month (can't remember which) there was a 14 day DAOC trial client etc... for SI and Classic.

Is that the U.S. servers then ?

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a feeling it was...i have not seen a free trial from europe...and i spent almost 12 hours downloading the trial...and has far as i should see it only had US servers on it...but I will check tonite.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
No the CD/DVD on PCGamer (Uk edition) definetly has the GOA version for the euro servers.

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
nope, euro

So the fuss in the first post in this thread is complete rubbish then ;)

They are giving away a 14 day free trial of DAOC for the Europe player base.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
I think the point was is it avaliable for download....which i don't think it is.

Tilda

yes it is, as well as the PCG trial which contains the game on their CD's, theres also a trial you can send to people from the sub's section which allows people to download the game and play.
So yes, the first poster is wrong, as well as free trials on magasine covers, their website has one too.
The only thing they could do better would be to change the banner at the top of the page to a "get a free trial" banner.

Tilda

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Definately.

I've been playing for ages and was completely un-aware I could give otheres a 14 day trial. I think this fact should be emphasised, perhaps even gently rewarded? Get a plat or something for every friend that you refer that later signs up as a paying customer. Would easily boost awareness (of the trial, and the game) at no cost.

lairiodd

Loyal Freddie
The invitation is for 1 week trial and you get free subs depending on how long the invited person subs for.

1 month -> 5 days
3 months -> 15 days
6 months -> 1 month
1 year -> 2 months

What they should do is make it so that you get the credit every time they pay for a new month (you get added as a sponsor for that account for say, a year). That would mean that the new player wouldn't have to get 12 months to get you max credit. Anyone who gets 6 others to subscribe would get a free subscription.

Also, the invite option is under account -> sponsorship.

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Wholdar said:

/j

Yeah I bought catacombs and I got Vampiir on Excal now.
I wanted to play on Prydwen but there was no cool catacombs class that I'd like. Valkyrie not different enough from my Savage and people are rude to Warlocks :(
And Mids didn't get class that don't need buffbot either, which was my biggest reason. Vampiir don't need buffs, Heretic in Alb wouldn't had needed buffs either but Mids didn't get Catacombs class that don't need buffbot :(

But maybe they cluster the servers and I can play with familiar people again :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
warlocks were supposed to not need a buffbot (at least not as much) given their fixed casting speed on the curse spells...

course everyone rolls witch/hex and uses primers instead *doh*

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
Ok...The 14 day Trial on the latest PC Gamer(DVD) is a european version..which includes the Shrouded Isle Expansion. Although it does not seem to be complete and uptodate..i've tryed the US 14 trial and in that i could move around with the mouse and it had a nice character creation screen.

The European trial does not have these features...so some one comming from wow to try the 14 day trial is not going to find it very friendly...i went back to playing the 14 day trial in the US.

I'm not sure if the Euro Trial downloaded any of the free downloads.
Both the US and Euro Trials have the same Expansions.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
It appears as though Frontiers gets installed with the Euro Trial (Dark Age of Camelot - Shrouded Isles\frontiers), although foundations does not...when i try to install foundations from the euro website it says i'm trying to install to an invalid game directory.

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
jimmyh said:
It appears as though Frontiers gets installed with the Euro Trial (Dark Age of Camelot - Shrouded Isles\frontiers), although foundations does not...when i try to install foundations from the euro website it says i'm trying to install to an invalid game directory.

On a 14 day trial, any new players probably wouldn't be buying a house, i guess. Or maybe it should have foundations, but theres a reason why it isn't working. Have you tried rightnow'ing it - and explaining this may influence purchase of the game at a later date - if you say that they may look into the problem quicker, as you're more likely to continute playing if you get a quick answer, and that means money for mythic / goa.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
rightnow'ing?

I will probably be going out and buying the complete game with all 3 expansions...so the trial is only a quick test for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom