Why do people dislike America/Americans ?

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
dysfunction said:
I like America and Americans.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my holidays there and the people I have met there have been really pleasant.

most people base their dislikes on the tourists they have met and politicians...which gives you a nice broad view of them :rolleyes:

Same here tbh, a bit like Europeans assuming us Brits are tattooed, lager swilling, fist-swinging chav scum....

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
dont you think its safer just to stereotype everyone though

"oh we got some brits coming, bjorkskiensen,wont that be great!"

LAGER LAGER LAGER LAGER

:(

not everyone is nice. its safer to assume everyone is shit

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If anything the USA resembles the Roman Empire - not the British Empire.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Kryten said:
ehehehehe....

1. Low average IQ. Normally those with a higher level of intelligence suffer with lower common sense, which in my opinion is probably more useful. Americans, generally, have a low average IQ and bugger all common sense.

2. Americanism. "Fat people, macdonalds etc" - Rather than "look down your local high street" type answers : it's because the UK is quickly being americanised - in government, ideals and people's attitudes. I agree with previous statements that the UK isn't much better : and it's for this exact reason. Things like "This product may contain nuts" on your packet of KP and "Please do not use this product whilst in the shower" on your hairdryer. If it wasn't for stupid americans actually complaining about these and sueing the fuck out of people because of it, we'd not be having to put up "WARNING - HOT" signs on your cup of what is hopefully, hot coffee.

3. Many people will look at petrol prices in the US and think "It must be cheap to live there". It isn't. It IS a little bit cheaper than here, however the money you save on petrol is soon lost on some other god awful stealth tax.

4. George Bush - Enough said. I was happy with Billy Clinton, he was a normal bloke, he had moments of intelligence and was ruined by people thinking their president should be perfect, robotic maybe. Then they voted for Bush. :wanker:

5. Southern accents. Yes, we have people from Dudley here - when they open their mouths, they sound like they've just finished reading "Roger Red Hat" or "Mr Men" - but over there they sound even worse - and to top it off, they're all inbred, shagging their mothers so in 12 years they have someone else to help out on the farm.
Actually, that's not too different from some places here.

6. Cars etc - over there, the average cheap-to-run car is a 3 litre V6. If you want a sporty car, you'll fork out a small fortune on a 6 litre V8 - and it will still get outrun by a 1.8 litre Ford Mondeo from here. Yes, they're getting smaller but not by much - people think their pride will get hurt too much.
And I wish they'd keep hold of their shit like Chevrolets and Chryslers rather than fobbing them off in the UK now :(

7. Oooh forgot this one : American TV. Yeah some movies are good. Comedy : do they have a sense of humour? Every now and then a cracker comes along that we can raise a laugh at. Otherwise we're having to put up with shit like Friends, Frasier and Will n Grace. Fuck sake : Simpsons is getting very similar, unfortunately. South park was a laugh before the novelty wore off after the first season. Jim Carrey can only wiggle his arms around manically for so long before the next film is identical to the last one.

8. American Football.

All in all, the UK is quickly turning into the US and there's very little we can do about it.
Americans, generally, fucking suck.
America, generally, fucking sucks.
Or more to the point : most of the world, fucking sucks.

Slight twist for those that didn't know.
I'm American.

1) And of course we don't get thick people over here in the slightest do we? Cos like all us brits are brain surgeons. I've met lots and lots of people from either side of the pond, the REALLY thick ones have all been English.

2) Drink your coffee instead of reading the warnings on the side. Might save you a heart attack.

3) Their petrol is under half the price of ours (that's a LOT cheaper if you ask me), and you stealth tax argument is a bit shit considering the number that lovely Mr Brown has introduced since he's been in the Exchequer. The US is SHITLOADS cheapers to live in than here is.

4) Dubya is a whole other argument, but suffice to say I'm happier he's in power than Clinton (or Gore for that matter). He might not be the sharpest tool in the box but he's surrounded by smart people - all a president really needs.

5) You argued against your own point there, but just to help you I thought I'd add most of the Midlands, Devon and Cornwall and Wales. All places where the natives sound like spastics cos they can't talk proper.

6) I honestly doubt a 1.8 litre Mondeo would stand much of a chance against a Viper or Corvette - even a Mustang would eat it for brekkie. I for one am glad they're sending their cars over here - the new Corvette Z06 is ridiculously lush (4.5 stars in evo - can't be bad) and I'd sorely be tempted by a fixed roof Viper over a Ferrari. OK it doesn;t handle as well, but it's so ridiculously OTT I can;t help but love it.

7) British TV is far worse - if you want to look at the "cream" of British TV, you're into Little Britain, Phoenix Nights etc - all unfunny shite. At least the US gave us Family Guy, My Name is Earl, Two and a Half Men, the early series of Friends, Cheers, MASH, etc etc. And what have we given them back? The Office and Fawlty Towers? Yeah we can really feel superior to them about that.

8) US Football - They had to start wearing pads in this game cos too many people were getting killed or maimed. This does not happen in rugby, as only the person with the ball gets tackled, as opposed to everyone on the pitch. So yeah I'd say rugby players were the fags for not playing a dangerous enough sport.

Will

/bin/su
Bodhi said:
3) Their petrol is under half the price of ours (that's a LOT cheaper if you ask me), and you stealth tax argument is a bit shit considering the number that lovely Mr Brown has introduced since he's been in the Exchequer. The US is SHITLOADS cheapers to live in than here is.

4) Dubya is a whole other argument, but suffice to say I'm happier he's in power than Clinton (or Gore for that matter). He might not be the sharpest tool in the box but he's surrounded by smart people - all a president really needs.
Selective point picking, but what the hell.

3) The US in general has lower levels of taxation, and corresponding lower levels of public services, and a far greater gap between the rich and the poor. The US is cheaper to live in, but there isn't the same safety net for when things go wrong.

4) Clinton presided over record budget surpluses, paying off the US national debt. Fairly sensible. George W is running record defecits, even cutting taxes in the face of a war. He is surrounded by smart people, but they are rich smart people who are looking out for themselves.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
DaGaffer said:
Why? Explain yourself man!

In that their whole system of government is much more similar to the Roman style of government, than the British Empire ever was. Senators, Senate, Emporers, style of architecture, etc.

Mind you, in antiquity people would rather have been a part of the Roman Empire than not; money, trade, security etc.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Will said:
4) Clinton presided over record budget surpluses, paying off the US national debt. Fairly sensible. George W is running record defecits, even cutting taxes in the face of a war. He is surrounded by smart people, but they are rich smart people who are looking out for themselves.

Just a quickie (and not necessarily correct but IMO), high taxation stifles an economy, low taxation does the opposite. Low taxation can actually increase net income for a government.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Tom said:
In that their whole system of government is much more similar to the Roman style of government, than the British Empire ever was. Senators, Senate, Emporers, style of architecture, etc.

Mind you, in antiquity people would rather have been a part of the Roman Empire than not; money, trade, security etc.

AND THE VIADUCTS FFS!!!

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Kryten said:
4. George Bush - Enough said. I was happy with Billy Clinton.

You could have been as happy as you liked with Bill, but the rules said he was out the door in 2 terms, as will be the case with Bush. Think of all the years we've had to endure with Thatcher and Blair because of not having that sensible rule.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Kryten said:
Things like "This product may contain nuts" on your packet of KP and "Please do not use this product whilst in the shower" on your hairdryer. If it wasn't for stupid americans actually complaining about these and sueing the fuck out of people because of it, we'd not be having to put up "WARNING - HOT" signs on your cup of what is hopefully, hot coffee.

A lot of people criticise the "ltigation society", I used to, but then I came round to the idea.

In the UK, if some yob damages your property or your neighbour misbehaves you have to wait ages for the disinterested local authorities to wake up and do something about it, and there is no payment for all the aggro you went through. If you do decide to do something about it off your own back then you'll just end up in court. In the US you can sue the bastard in double quick time and get some kind of recompense.

Overall, I'd much prefer personal litigation rather than the pea-brained local "enforcement" in the town hall who pen-push their way to a big pension.

Will

/bin/su
Tom said:
Just a quickie (and not necessarily correct but IMO), high taxation stifles an economy, low taxation does the opposite. Low taxation can actually increase net income for a government.
I disagree, in case you hadn't guessed I would, but lets just assume for the sake of this that you are right.

It would depends where the taxation falls. The tax cuts Bush administration has passed have been overwhelmingly aimed at the extremely rich, which I can't see working. If it was aimed at the middle and lower incomes, then you could argue would free up cash which would then be injected back into the ecomony. I can't see how the super rich getting a pay cut would benefit anyone.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:

That's kind of superficial. The big problem with America is that it refuses to accept that it is an Empire, and has been for a long time; and that's why its very different from the Roman or the British Empires. Both of those dangled the carrot of citizenship, of 'belonging' to part of something wider, with the benefits of improved living standards, the rule of law, and not getting chopped up by the local warlord. Where the British and Roman Empires had trouble was when they tried to impose alien value systems - like religion, on local populations. All America does it try to impose the value systems without any of the other useful stuff.

America refuses to accept its responsibilities as an Empire so it alienates people all the more quickly. Revisionist historians always paint all the 'subject peoples' under the British Empire desperately trying to get out from under the yoke of British oppression, but it wasn't really like that; look at India - the place was run by Indians with a relatively tiny British presence; most of the soldiers were Indian, and apart from the Mutiny (caused by pig ignorance, missionaries, and outside agitators; see above), trouble tended to come from the borders of the Empire rather than from within.

Problem is America can't become a 'real' Empire because its a dirty word, not only to the people America is ruling, but to Americans themselves (the biggest objection isolationist Americans had to entering WWII was 'propping up the British Empire' and FDR deliberately supported Stalin on occasions when he thought doing otherwise would maintain the British Empire - despite the fact the Soviet Union was an empire as well, and a much worse one). So America is doomed to fuck it up every time it deals with territories it occupies.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Lester said:
Same here tbh, a bit like Europeans assuming us Brits are tattooed, lager swilling, fist-swinging chav scum....

They've seen Trem then ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
bob269 said:
They've seen Trem then ;)

I have tattoos but I dont drink and I don't own a Subaru so I can't be a chav :p

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Ash said:
We have alot to learn from how the Americans promote their national identity and patriotism. You only have to look at the pitifull display of what is St Georges day is over here. That is supposed to be a day to celebrate everything that it is to be English. It's culture, heritage, it's History and everything that is positive about being English. Yet the debates on radio yesterday were all about why don't we celebrate ? Are we scared to because of some of the negative aspect of our days of the Empire ? Is it because of the immigration problem and we do not wish to upset minority groups ??? Would the Americans be having the same debate ?? I doubt it They are sure of their national identity and what it means to be American. The closest comparison I can think of is Independence Day and how they demonstrate pride in their nation.

you make patriotism sound like a good thing o_O

Someone in my position once called himself English. Then they called themselves British. Im starting to call myself European. Some day hopefully i will call myself human.

Bodhi

pez said:
you make patriotism sound like a good thing o_O

Someone in my position once called himself English. Then they called themselves British. Im starting to call myself European. Some day hopefully i will call myself human.

Patriotism is a good thing though - there is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your country. I'm damn proud to call myself Scottish, we'll have none of that Euro or British lameness thanks. I'm Scottish, nothing else.

DaGaffer

Bodhi said:
Patriotism is a good thing though - there is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your country. I'm damn proud to call myself Scottish, we'll have none of that Euro or British lameness thanks. I'm Scottish, nothing else.

Until you have a Scottish passport, you're British. Get over it.

Bodhi

DaGaffer said:
Until you have a Scottish passport, you're British. Get over it.

I have a Scottish football top and Rugby top tho, and a dirty great big Scotland flag at home. Hmmmm I'm guessing if we have our own football team, rugby team, flag and oh yes parliament, we're pretty much a country in our own right. Just need those meddlers down in Westminster to leave us the fuck alone for once. Yes I have a British Passport, but so does my bro-in-law, and he's Norweigan.

So basically, I'm Scottish, and still very very proud. You can get over that if you can.

DaGaffer

Bodhi said:
I have a Scottish football top and Rugby top tho, and a dirty great big Scotland flag at home. Hmmmm I'm guessing if we have our own football team, rugby team, flag and oh yes parliament, we're pretty much a country in our own right. Just need those meddlers down in Westminster to leave us the fuck alone for once. Yes I have a British Passport, but so does my bro-in-law, and he's Norweigan.

So basically, I'm Scottish, and still very very proud. You can get over that if you can.

Just pointing out you can't claim you're "Scottish and nothing else" because you're not, anymore than I'm "English and nothing else" (although I'm quite happy to call myself British anyway as I have an English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish background).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hey well if you don't want 'us meddlers' any more, than you can have Gordon Brown back.

There'll be no more subsidies either.

Oh and we found the oil, so thats ours too.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
theres people all over europe i identify with much more than people all over the UK - just look at these boards

Patriotism is just an excuse for aggression, nothing good comes of it. Facism Patriotism and violence go hand in hand. You see it all through history and you see it today.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
pez said:
theres people all over europe i identify with much more than people all over the UK - just look at these boards

Patriotism is just an excuse for aggression, nothing good comes of it. Facism Patriotism and violence go hand in hand. You see it all through history and you see it today.
I agree 100% tbh. Patriotism is a shit waste of time for people who are insecure about their identity.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't feel its a waste of time to be proud to be born of a country with such a rich history and culture.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's all well and good, but it is.

Appreciating the rich history and culture is one thing but being proud of the fact you were born here? Why? You had nothing to do with it?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No, I'm proud of the fact that I'm a part of this country. I don't feel I'm insecure, but it helps to be able to define myself as being British, which carries certain implicit values when dealing with other nationalities and their expectations.

I like the fact that we had a QE1. I like being able to read about the monarchy through history. I like how there are castles galore, and old buildings that are treasured. I like that we had a republic/dictatorship and thought it was shit. I like how we had a powerful navy. I like how we colonised countries (and generally did a good job as well). I like how we stood up to Hitler. I like that we've got a well trained military and 4 nuclear subs. I like that we have the best motorsport engineers in the world.

I'm also especially proud of the BBC.

Its bloody great this country, and I like it here. Most people who don't like it need to try experiencing life in other countries, and not just as a tourist.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I like it here too, I also like a lot of our history.

I still think patriotism is a crock.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I agree with you Tom, though Im not so keen on the BBC these days.
I dont know if I can explain this well or not, but to me , who has read quite a lot about our history over the last 2000 years, I love the feeling that we can go to places that countless people have touched before, walked on the same path as Henry 8th, or stand in the middle of Stonehenge like someone did so many years ago. (Once upon a time you could do that , chaps :) )
Sometimes I almost fee lthat history running through my veins soomehow. It is in our blood.
On the other hand, I also sometimes feel terribly constricted by my surroundings, and by the fact that people here these days are so anti everything I like !
I wonder if the answer isnt actually to move somewhere closer to the countryside, or up to the midlands or further north, wheres theres more space.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm a human being.
I wish we could all just be human with no labels.
It has no relevance towards anything.
A countries actions are not a persons.
A skin colour is not a person.

The human need to feel superior is so pathetic. We instantly divide into "us" and "them" in almost every situation.
We are insignificant beings that have been on this planet for a pubic hair width of time compared to the age of the planet. Thats why people believe in god.

PS: Not so dailymail now am I :p
PPS: Those dirty cheating spanish gits eh? They deserved to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom