Whats the point of rangers now?

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
SO I have been levelling a ranger in PvE for about a week and a bit. I am quite mesmerised by the little flying arrows and the shear speed with which it kills stuff from great distance. It is quite stupid just how much damage they do but it is quite obvious that they are absolutely going to be of very little use in RvR.

So what is the point of rangers? Are they really only for PvE these days?

Why was the class destroyed so badly?

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Saying something IS going to be crap in rvr before trying it in NF is a bit dodgy :) i dunno how they are really but I'd give them a chance first hehe

aika

Can't get enough of FH
DW nerf, removal of PD and buffage of other classes more or less killed the solo ranger, however still very viable in zerg warfare

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I've got a rr4 ranger over on avalon and anything with charge or ip you just don't bother touching pretty much you just can't stand toe to toe with them even with zephyr up etc soon as they pop ip2/3 or charge you're fucked :/ I mean scouts get shield for block/slam hunters get 2handers + a pet for nice damage output melee wise rangers get shitty dw which doesnt do near as well as the other 2 as a backup.. the loss of PD hurt rangers worse of the 3.

In short rangers = anti casters, leech/adders and that sums rangers up pretty much.

Edit: so theres some advice for you, when making a ranger template pure sniper is the only way to go and avoid meleers.

- English -

Resident Freddy
DW nerf, removal of PD and buffage of other classes more or less killed the solo ranger, however still very viable in zerg warfare

What ^ said

They can kill stuff if played well, tho they are usually free rps :)

eble

Fledgling Freddie
it goes back to the original archery system, mythic at some point lost the ability to tweak it and balance the archery classes, an example being my luri ranger with maxed out dex could crit shot casters for 1200 + damage with a 600 to 800 follow up in 1 to 2 secs

Mythic wasn't able to adjust the way archery worked so they made us all stealth casters.

In PVE archery classes are gods really, I can kill red/low con purps at range without melee, farmed 1200 scelas in no time on the dragon spawns etc.

The future, well on Ywain stealth classes for some reason make groups and stealth zerg the place, strange but true.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Low weapon skill + the duel wield nerf (or shield boost).

The change from str/con poison to ws/con poison (cause you run into assasins more then anything). If you ran pierce str/con didnt hurt as much as the ws/con atm. Also most assasins have learned to reapply poisons. Basically assasins are on top of the food chain atm with you beeing at the bottem.

The archery change. 35 recurve bow used to be enough todo decent dmg with a bow, nowadays its 46/47 or gtfo. Pathfinding used to be a ranger only spec line, now its in everyones archery line. So everyone gets it for free now, but rangers didnt get anything in return. Spec'ing more points in cd or blades/pierce doesnt help much.

Pd has bin removed.

Hunter has a r0xx0r pet + a 2h then rawks with celerity.
The shield boost for scouts + the ability to slam + pb + pb usually brings death.
Rangers have nothing (well besides cd).

Vormav

Fledgling Freddie
My ranger turned out to be an epic failure in RvR but like Sharkith says, they are awesome at killing mobs.

I shot 4 arrows at an Alb last time I was in NF with him and all 4 missed, that just put me off Rangers all together.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
People say they suck because they are the weakest archer/stealther class.
Scouts have shield+slam
Hunters have r0x0r styles, high damage and pet to interupt

I have a 5L2 ranger, 6L3 scout and 5L1 sb. The ranger was the hardest to earn rp's on.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Rangers where good in 'the old days' because of the following reasons:

* Access to Sojourner, giving you the ability to FZ enemies away and phaseshift to push past timered abilities such as Battler /use2, Malice /use2, MoC etc etc.

* Dualwielding would cut evade and block in half, halfing the evade-gap between assassins and archers.

* Access to Physical Defense

* Access to Avoid Pain and Ignore Pain (AP was removed in NF)

* Slash-resistant armour. We are crush-weak but no stealther had access to crush.

* Mastery of Stealth which gave you much better detection then assassins.

Nowadays the FZ makes your enemy immune to damage. Dualwield no longer cuts evade/block in half. PD was removed. SB's got crush-damage and MoS was nerfed.

Then the indirect nerfs came: Archery got homogenized and Hunters and Scouts got our unique Pathfinding-buffs (dmg-add, spec-AF, speedburst), but we did not get their unique things in return (no pet, no shield, no enhanced WS like hunters). Is it not a sad-joke that the Ranger was initially launched as the 'magical archer' but we have less magical buttons then hunters and the same as scouts?

So suddenly defense was working for the scout, and while hunters might suffer in a similar way with their offense they got a pet which allows for some nasty tricks (incl. kiting because of disease). Rangers also spec 2 lines for melee-offense (weapon + CD) while scouts for example spec those 2 lines in a similar way but gain offense and defense (weapon + Shield).

In PvE archers are great, because we are casters who can hit high con stuff for high damage (like casters with Majestic Will in the old days). I was hitting red- and low purple cons for capped damage when farming scales.

However, in RvR you don't hit cap damage and most people have a tremendous amount of resists. Finishing off people in melee is a joke, because of their defense + widely available healprocs which negate a substantial amount of melee-damage.

I've been monitoring the Ranger feedback on VN for a while and they seem to think about giving us more defense. Personally I would much rather see more offense in the form of increased (melee-)WS and/or increased defense-penetration.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Well having a RR10 ranger and played when SI came out I gone through many changes with it.

Melle Rangers just suck gone for 25 blade and 44 CD spec atm with 15 sec snare on frontal and 7s stun from evade follow up and Still they suck.

Some work with snare can get a distance in to shove a few pb's in but against scouts forget it sheild engage and no shots land.

As people said DW nerf for rangers were a big mistake also PF line ended up for all ranged classes but where as nerf on sheild was minimal the DW Nerf was worse.Hunters well they got they pet boosted and even unbuffed they are great to have.

Said before give Ranger love as all they useful for now is Pve.Pure sniper tho and it Tower/Keep camping until Rangers get a boost. :(

Soulja

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
will be fine for ywain then :p

Anything that has long ranged/high damage aoe dots or bolts is fine for ywain yea :p that said its harder to zerg surf on hib as albs and mids are generally the only realms with organized zergs out, hib don't pretty much (i've seen hib zergs but they are rare) so rangers would have to group to do anything really or camp xp spots/poc cross overs.

randomeclipse

Loyal Freddie
Is it really as bad as you lot make it out to be, as you're paining a horrible picture?

I'll still give in a few months, but way to bring the good news down people :(

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Is it really as bad as you lot make it out to be, as you're paining a horrible picture?

Can't wait to play my hib chars tbh after playing Mid mostly and Alb on Ywain it be change to be able to play on underpopulated realm.

Rp's be out there even if you play a sucky ranger :lol: and Yes Tuth it not a snare it a root.

Soulja

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
It is pretty bad. You just don't see rangers solo these days. I think it's a shame since Scouts and Hunters are doing quite well at the moment.

/edit no one came back with the inevitable "but your rr5 is good!" yet, so here it is.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Its worse than we all make it out to be :p 200 people on stick constantly from alb/mid ports being cut relics being nicked/attacked 24/7 thats ywain in a nutshell.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
It is pretty bad. You just don't see rangers solo these days. I think it's a shame since Scouts and Hunters are doing quite well at the moment.

/edit no one came back with the inevitable "but your rr5 is good!" yet, so here it is.

Whats good about it ? only good to try running away not offensive ability is it tbh unless grouped with other people.

Soulja

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Strange how things have changed. In melee it used to be ranger scout hunter. Now its Hunter Scout Ranger.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
In short rangers = anti casters, leech/adders and that sums rangers up pretty much.

Edit: so theres some advice for you, when making a ranger template pure sniper is the only way to go and avoid meleers.

Yeah this is what I honestly felt - some good feedback here I do hope people from mythic are able to read it from time to time.

Punishment

Resident Freddy

This , it annoys me as alot of the best stealthers i came across on my shade getting up the ranks were melee rangers :(

Galid , Durrell etc

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
according to my math done some time ago, dps-wise hunter w/o pet ~= ranger. that's taking all into account - DA, 6% hunter ws boost, etc. in fact, ranger had extremely tiny advantage - +0.2% iirc and 1 more SC slot. However, pet beats it by huge margin. especially 40 or even 50 bc pet.

hibblet

Fledgling Freddie
i used to like my ranger with the old system and fools

with 407 dex was hitting most for 1200+ crit could take twrs down np

now with new sys its like crit hits for 850+ then second shot always hits the bubble if its up so its like fire crit hit and run and hope some 1 else kills tgt and im fast enougth to escape and stealth and get second crit in before tgt can heal same as melee was fun against scouts now its just slam pb pb pb, hunters i dont even bother with anymore as with tanks only wait for casters lagging behind the group or alone some where then ive a good chance

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
The fundamental problem is that the rangers lacks the counter/complimentary class specific specline to the archetypal specline.

Shield blocks arrows
Shield slams for pb shots
Shield slams for kiting
Shield gives defense when caught in melee
Shield guards groupmates

Doggie interupts other archers/casters
Doggie snares for kiting
Doggie does damage in melee and helps penetrate scout shield
Doggie does damage at range when kiting

CD......?
Gives a percentage chance to swing an offhand for base unstyled damage
Has a nice side stun
Has a root that is way too expensive in the old 'return on investment' stakes

It doesn't compliment and act as a counter to archer like the other two spec lines do.
There's something wrong when the archers from the melee realm on the hybrid weaponskill table have access to more spells than the archer from the magical realm.

My vote goes to giving rangers a new utility magic specline. Nothing OP'ed, just a little spice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom