Whats the point of rangers now?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The fundamental problem is that the rangers lacks the counter/complimentary class specific specline to the archetypal specline.

Shield blocks arrows
Shield slams for pb shots
Shield slams for kiting
Shield gives defense when caught in melee
Shield guards groupmates

Doggie interupts other archers/casters
Doggie snares for kiting
Doggie does damage in melee and helps penetrate scout shield
Doggie does damage at range when kiting

CD......?
Gives a percentage chance to swing an offhand for base unstyled damage
Has a nice side stun
Has a root that is way too expensive in the old 'return on investment' stakes

It doesn't compliment and act as a counter to archer like the other two spec lines do.
There's something wrong when the archers from the melee realm on the hybrid weaponskill table have access to more spells than the archer from the magical realm.

My vote goes to giving rangers a new utility magic specline. Nothing OP'ed, just a little spice.

either that or add some dd's to the majority of rangers melee styles (also nothing op'd just something to put them on par with hunters/scouts)

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
or perhaps the people playing rangers could l2play and quit whining?

yes all 3 classes are archers but if you played that game comparing all the respective classes you'll find theres a best and a worse in each catagory.

the only thing to create true balance if to have the exact same classes on all 3 realms and whats the point.

I have a rr7ish ranger and yeh its boring when u get into melee, the style cange is the main thing that ruined it tho to be fair,

having off evade stun always helped alot in melee but alas its not there anymore.

also hunter pets die in 3-4hits in which time hunter will get 1 maybe 2 hits off on u, so kill that first and u win,

even melee specced hunters i've had no problems on my ns vs and my ns cant fz or phase shift ofc

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I think it's funny when stealthers complain that they can't take down tank classes like armsman, hero, warrior etc. Also the hybrid tanks

Stealthers are not supposed to be solo pwnmobiles, they have a distinct role. So comparing a stealther or in this case a ranger to other classes than they map to on alb or mid is just moot

Sorry to say, the ranger was designed as a ranged class, if you want to take it to melee you'll just have to fight the handicap tbh

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
according to my math done some time ago, dps-wise hunter w/o pet ~= ranger. that's taking all into account - DA, 6% hunter ws boost, etc. in fact, ranger had extremely tiny advantage - +0.2% iirc and 1 more SC slot. However, pet beats it by huge margin. especially 40 or even 50 bc pet.

Cele aswell?

Jesmin

Loyal Freddie
Its worse than we all make it out to be :p 200 people on stick constantly from alb/mid ports being cut relics being nicked/attacked 24/7 thats ywain in a nutshell.

Pretty much this, its easy to avoid the zergs though, and if you run a fg theres rps to be made, i generally just 8v8 on isle these days and it's decent euro time.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
My ranger turned out to be an epic failure in RvR but like Sharkith says, they are awesome at killing mobs.

I shot 4 arrows at an Alb last time I was in NF with him and all 4 missed, that just put me off Rangers all together.

told ya :p

ileks

Part of the furniture
I'd run a load of envenomed wepaons if i was on a ranger. The class really is piss poor when compared to other stealthers.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I'd run a load of envenomed wepaons if i was on a ranger. The class really is piss poor when compared to other stealthers.

dont think you can anymore, you need at least +1 envenom to use a poison. However if it's still +1 and not something like +30 you could sc 1 envenom onto your suit ?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

yes all 3 classes are archers but if you played that game comparing all the respective classes you'll find theres a best and a worse in each catagory.

the only thing to create true balance if to have the exact same classes on all 3 realms and whats the point.

I have a rr7ish ranger and yeh its boring when u get into melee, the style cange is the main thing that ruined it tho to be fair,

having off evade stun always helped alot in melee but alas its not there anymore.

also hunter pets die in 3-4hits in which time hunter will get 1 maybe 2 hits off on u, so kill that first and u win,

even melee specced hunters i've had no problems on my ns vs and my ns cant fz or phase shift ofc

You've not met any good hunters then, melee hunters played properly can rip anything apart in seconds.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Stealthers are not supposed to be solo pwnmobiles

orly_white_cat.jpg

Punishment

Resident Freddy
You've not met any good hunters then, melee hunters played properly can rip anything apart in seconds.

I agree completely , to say rangers should quit whining is bullshit they are so far behind the other 2 they may aswell not have a melee line at all tbh :(

Its like this Hunter > Scout .....................................>Ranger

- English -

Resident Freddy

Have you played your ranger since i rp pled you?;p

Rangers are the weakest of all 3 archery classes and any ranger who wins vs the other 2, just means the players playing the scout / hunter suck.

Hunter spec'd pets at 40 dont die in 3-4 hits, especially if they are buffed.

Im also sure a hunter can easily kill a ranger in melle.. without styling even.

I used to only be ale to kill half decent infs/sb's due to mos 5, which got them to 20-50% before they hit me. If i didnt have any abilities up, they would win as you cannot do anything to them with wep skill debuff.

Since the patch with all the procs and stuff, im not sure anymore ;p

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Have you played your ranger since i rp pled you?;p

Rangers are the weakest of all 3 archery classes and any ranger who wins vs the other 2, just means the players playing the scout / hunter suck.

Hunter spec'd pets at 40 dont die in 3-4 hits, especially if they are buffed.

I used to only be ale to kill half decent infs/sb's due to mos 5, which got them to 20-50% before they hit me. If i didnt have any abilities up, they would win as you cannot do anything to them with wep skill debuff.

Since the patch with all the procs and stuff, im not sure anymore ;p

Yup same here its how i got my huntress near rr6 on us , critshot with mos 5 2 pb shots take out my lgm 2h matter or whatever one i choose and walk backwards to let level 40 frenzy pet hit em from behind and spam anytime and the odd evade chain , worked a treat :m00:

Everz

FH is my second home

Tags thats the worst attempt at a wind-up i've ever seen.

Lightfighter

One of Freddy's beloved
What´s the point of rangers? To acctually play the class as a ranged class and not a stealthed blademaster with PD5!

No shields/pets kept the ranger from defeating enemy ranged classes before when they were on top of the archer food chain, so those classes got buffed to compete against the ranger, and now they can, and rangers are the ones crying because they can't instantly win anymore like they're used to, it's the way things are.

Sure, the past doesn't mean rangers should be obsolete to other archer classes like they are now, so just give them 9 sec baseline stun and be done with it!

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
What´s the point of rangers? To acctually play the class as a ranged class and not a stealthed blademaster with PD5!

No shields/pets kept the ranger from defeating enemy ranged classes before when they were on top of the archer food chain, so those classes got buffed to compete against the ranger, and now they can, and rangers are the ones crying because they can't instantly win anymore like they're used to, it's the way things are.

Sure, the past doesn't mean rangers should be obsolete to other archer classes like they are now, so just give them 9 sec baseline stun and be done with it!

Like a 9 sec stun in archery line :lol: that do me.

Soulja

hibblet

Fledgling Freddie
lol aye and scale armour to bring up the af a bit and throw in climb walls maybe later

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Actually after playing my hunter on Ywain again (haven't played for ages) I think my ranger will do just fine, steer clear of the stealth zergs and hang about the keep takes and should roll RP's pretty easy.

My hunter was hitting people for huge damage must be lots of yanks still untemplated, good times ahead guys.

Yank rolling here we come :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

might be what the whole issue boils down to.

ppl that played rangers in the past got to used to be a melee ranger because that was at the time the most viable spec, so they haven't actually been playing an archer as much as a BM or NS wannabe :)

and having to relearn to play a proper archer is maybe a tad hard as many rangers aren't used to that particular playstyle.

tho i can agree that rangers do need something extra to make up for hunter pets and scout shield spec. hunter pets in particular i think.

just don't have a clue what that they should get.

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
Cele aswell?

yes.

cele charges are same +17% haste. hence - same percentile dps boost.

hm....i've heard that once......oh. i remember!

"nerf LA! shadowblades are 3-shotting us infis!!!11"...but those smartasses were too lazy to count. back then ~1900hp were normal for infi, and i had doublefrost CAP of 427+177 offhand with 39+16 spec.

back on topic.

Yes, rangers suffer atm. And i firmly beleive that they (and all DWers) should have defense penetration (block/parry/evade reduction) based on their DW spec. All other proposals (evade 5, parry spec, scale armor, absorb buff, lifetap styles, u name it) are shit imo.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
jim, did i not say that rangers were the worst of the 3 ? cuz im fairly confident i did, the fact is that if you compare all 3 of the classes there is a best and worst.

ie.

Warrior armsman hero,

warrior is significantly better than the other 2

then animist warlock warlock > animist

yes ranger is the worst of all 3 but, as many other people have said, they werent put in the game to beat a heavy tank etc,

and a good ranger can beat a scout/hunter

as can a good hunter beat a scout/ranger

its all situational etc.

but really quite the ranger whine and play something else?

hibblet

Fledgling Freddie

so what happens when a good ranger meets a good hunter ?

exactly hunter pop lvl 40+ pet and runs and while you are trying to kill pet its hunter pb pb pb what ends up with a dead ranger

Karnah

Loyal Freddie
from what i've see since i have been back, rangers appear to be good at ganking you (or buffbot) whilst you're trying to kill mobs

maybe that's where the rps are at?! :p

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
exactly hunter pop lvl 40+ pet and runs and while you are trying to kill pet its hunter pb pb pb what ends up with a dead ranger

1. fz hunter, try to kill pet while hunter is riding.
2. use ml10 belt - pop own pet
3. hunter pbpbpb - many are melee spec. hybrids (39/40/40/34) are rather rare.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
1. fz hunter, try to kill pet while hunter is riding.
2. use ml10 belt - pop own pet
3. hunter pbpbpb - many are melee spec. hybrids (39/40/40/34) are rather rare.

1 Funny how you menion try :p I suppose when the hunter comes out of the fz he/she just stands there and doesnt do anything, while you try to kill the pet. No way in hell i'd kill it before the fz runs out. Even if you do the hunter will shoot you first so basically you used your own fz against you.
2 Yeah everyone has a ml10 belt in their template, not to mention its possibly the hardest item to get.
3. you can still shoot arrows as an hybrid. Many rangers are hybrids too btw.

Seriously, rangers are crap atm and even without a pet i'm pretty sure that in melee the hunter will do far more dmg then a ranger. Then again they got a pet so it's not even a question/issue.

Paper DAoC rules btw.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
I think it's funny when stealthers complain that they can't take down tank classes like armsman, hero, warrior etc. Also the hybrid tanks

Stealthers are not supposed to be solo pwnmobiles, they have a distinct role. So comparing a stealther or in this case a ranger to other classes than they map to on alb or mid is just moot

Sorry to say, the ranger was designed as a ranged class, if you want to take it to melee you'll just have to fight the handicap tbh

Just wondering because it so not makes sense to me, what is the distinct role of archers? And don't say 'killing solo casters' plz :<

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Just wondering because it so not makes sense to me, what is the distinct role of archers? And don't say 'killing solo casters' plz :<

Ranged damage in pve, same in rvr. Basically just shoot stuff, pretty straightforward no ?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
jim, did i not say that rangers were the worst of the 3 ? cuz im fairly confident i did, the fact is that if you compare all 3 of the classes there is a best and worst.

ie.

Warrior armsman hero,

warrior is significantly better than the other 2

then animist warlock warlock > animist

yes ranger is the worst of all 3 but, as many other people have said, they werent put in the game to beat a heavy tank etc,

its all situational etc.

but really quite the ranger whine and play something else?

i dont hab a rang0r , i just believe that they are way outta balance atm :(

Each of the 3 archery classes should have a viable melee spec to backup a full 50 bow 50 composite stealth spec , imo scouts rr5+ with 42 shield have this if they use the right weapons and hunters deffo have it , just a thought ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom