What song are you listening to right now?

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Corey is probably the best volcalist in metal. And isen't slipknot more Trash metal than nu-metal?

Sobek

Fledgling Freddie
Jugvayne said:
Slipknot, jsut typical nu-metal, boring downtuned "heavy" riffs, a terrible vocalist, though good drumming, and again awful "I'm a teen I'm so depressed, I'm gonna change the world" lyrics.

nu-metal! easiest term in the world, hell lets call it pop aswell? Slipknot is a Progressive Industrial/Heavy band, and a terrible vocalist? by the looks of it, you enjoy listening to catchy tunes and clueless kids yelling in a mic? Corey Tayler is probably the best rock/metal vocalist to date, and their lyrics isnt about depressed teenagers.

So get a grip before handing out random bullshit.

Marc

FH is my second home
Paul Van Dyk ft Rachel McFarlane - Found a Lover

Sobek

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Metal is shit though. Its noise. You cant dance to it unless you are jumping around, head butting thin air and flapping your arms like a bell-end, with 100 sweaty, greasy teenagers.

thats alot more fun than waving a lighter in the air to a pop "concert" though?

and besides all people who listen to metal is sweaty and greasy teenagers? so everybody who doesnt listen to metal music is clean and proper people?

yeah, i see your logic.

like Jugvayne above, get a grip :]

waok`whips

Fledgling Freddie
There is a wierd feeling about coming out from a gig, soaking from head to toe in other peoples sweat, just leaving and going out into the crisp cold air.

You just don't get the same feeling from leaving other gigs. Moshing is great stuff, it doesnt matter who you are, what you like, none of this matters, it all leads too the fact that you all enjoy the music so much and express that with others you probably wouldnt if it were a different genre.

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
I was listening to some other b@st@rds tune on his Walkman all the way into town on the bus this morning... b@st@rd b@st@rd b@st@rd .

I just hope he goes deaf.

Oh, and some f'ing T*@T with the frog ringtone.

i hope he gets caught masturbating by his mum.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
Sobek said:
nu-metal! easiest term in the world, hell lets call it pop aswell? Slipknot is a Progressive Industrial/Heavy band, and a terrible vocalist? by the looks of it, you enjoy listening to catchy tunes and clueless kids yelling in a mic? Corey Tayler is probably the best rock/metal vocalist to date, and their lyrics isnt about depressed teenagers.

So get a grip before handing out random bullshit.

Progressive Industrial? Slipknot? Wow, that is absolute bullshit. Industrial music means heavy use of synth, keyboards, programming etc. While Slipknot have a sampler and a DJ, they are very rarely put to use in songs, and at best, background noise not taking priority in the music. Industrial metal would be Voivod or Nanochrist or similar. Progressive? Are you utterly clueless? Progressive music is not Slipknot, how can they be with verse-chorus-verse structured songs? Also a progressive band would surely progress through their career. I really can't see any maturation between Wait & Bleed and Vermillion. As for Corey, "best vocalist in Rock" is jsut bollocks. His "growls" and I use the term loosely is monodimensional, and lack emotion and conviction. His clean vocals are slightly better, but still seem to be just whiney Johnathan Davis esque vocals. So downtuned boring riffs, whiney vocalist, shitty lyrics (If you're 555 I'm 666, I mean what the fuck?) sounds like nu-metal to me.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
waok`whips said:
Yes they are crap because you say, so narrow-minded.

There is no note, no vocalist, nothing connected with music that is crap.

People will always have different views, people will always disagree on an artist, or music in general. What may sound 'bad' too you, may not sound the same too someone else. LOL I DISLIKE HIPHOP THATS WHY I DISLIKE THEM LOL GOOD EXCUSE MATE..I HATE CHEESE WITH HOLES IN BUT I LIKE CHEESE WITH NO HOLES IN..

So so narrow-minded.

Hmmm, lets see, you say "Don't say they are crap without giving your reasons" so now I've given them, I am narrow minded? What the hell? I'm not saying you can't like it, and I'm not saying that just because I find it crap, it has to be crap to everyone. So get off your high horse, I seem to be the only one giving reasons to back up my opinion.

Marc

FH is my second home
Eva said:
Corey is probably the best volcalist in metal. And isen't slipknot more Trash metal than nu-metal?

do you honestly believe this, or are you just saying it cos your a slipknot fanboy. Dude, he cant sing. Pop idol has people who dont get through to the last 100 that can sing better than him.

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
Just stop being such a fag and respect other's opionions, muppet.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
anything that has good lyrics, well written music and is sung well. All attributes that sadly, metal doesnt have, unless you call people screaming about how they want to cut up their dog and then slash their wrists, good lyrics.

Marc I think you are being incredibly narrow-minded about this.

I am not exactly a metal fan, I prefer listening to alternative rock/screamo etc. However, saying that metal music is badly written is simply bollocks. Different skills are required for each type of music, but I think it is pretty pathetic to sum everything up in a few sentaces saying its complete shite.

I personally don't get much out of hearing the same synthesised loops going over and over and over again, with badly autotuned female vocal lines, awful 'drumming' (sythesised) while getting involved with E drug culture. Some people do, fair enough, I don't think it's fair to slag it off.

I edited this because I re-read and a few sentances were unfair.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Marc said:
anything but metal. My music tastes are wide and varied. My obvious genre is something i can shake that ass too. Otherwise, anything that has good lyrics, well written music and is sung well. All attributes that sadly, metal doesnt have, unless you call people screaming about how they want to cut up their dog and then slash their wrists, good lyrics.

Metal has a much closer link to classical music (the most complex genre of music around) then anything in the pop industry today and yes, I do class linkin park, limp bizkit etc as 'pop' industry bands because that is NOT proper metal.

By good lyrics I presume you mean rock music such as pink floyd because if you mean anything in pop nowadays again, the lyrics are shallower then the puddle I stepped in on the way to work this morning.....and my feet didn't even get wet :D

Things being sung well is all a matter of opinion. My personal opinion is that boyband artsists are the worst singers around.....sounding like they were kicked several times in the crotch as a small child and use advanced voice boxes to clear up the high pitched whine which comes out of their mouths. Most pop artists can't even sing well live as they're just a commerical face. The simpsons episode with the backstreet boys was a great example of this :D

Artists who can vary their voices to suit the need are the best around as long as they aren't afraid to do it live and don't run synth on every word they sing because otherwise a crowd would turn in disgrace.

Music is sadly these days more about an image then the music itself. Just look at J-lo, britney, justin timberlake...any of these people who have the 500hour mastered videos to make sure they have absolutely no blemishes whatsoever. It's a basic human need of aiming for perfection which people get vibes from the musicians as they seem to have it all and end up idolising the people rather then the music.

Don't really know where I was going tbh, basically trying to say don't judge a whole genre before you know anything but the shite pop face of it.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
kirennia said:
Metal has a much closer link to classical music (the most complex genre of music around) then anything in the pop industry today and yes, I do class linkin park, limp bizkit etc as 'pop' industry bands because that is NOT proper metal.

By good lyrics I presume you mean rock music such as pink floyd because if you mean anything in pop nowadays again, the lyrics are shallower then the puddle I stepped in on the way to work this morning.....and my feet didn't even get wet :D

Things being sung well is all a matter of opinion. My personal opinion is that boyband artsists are the worst singers around.....sounding like they were kicked several times in the crotch as a small child and use advanced voice boxes to clear up the high pitched whine which comes out of their mouths. Most pop artists can't even sing well live as they're just a commerical face. The simpsons episode with the backstreet boys was a great example of this :D

Artists who can vary their voices to suit the need are the best around as long as they aren't afraid to do it live and don't run synth on every word they sing because otherwise a crowd would turn in disgrace.

Music is sadly these days more about an image then the music itself. Just look at J-lo, britney, justin timberlake...any of these people who have the 500hour mastered videos to make sure they have absolutely no blemishes whatsoever. It's a basic human need of aiming for perfection which people get vibes from the musicians as they seem to have it all and end up idolising the people rather then the music.

Don't really know where I was going tbh, basically trying to say don't judge a whole genre before you know anything but the shite pop face of it.

Yeah, that is basically what I was trying to say but written better :clap: :clap:

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:

Mikael Åkerfeldt, Opeth. Good example of a class vocalist imo :)

Edit: On-topic, had to put on "Opeth - Bleak"

Marc

FH is my second home
The most obvious example of a good song writer and performing artist would be dido. I dunno, do metal bands write their own songs or get a third party to do it? I guess they write their own? Sting, Phil collins, Mcartney et al, even to a degree id say Noel Gallagher. All great song writers and artists. Metal bands will never be anything more than "touring bands". They will never produce any songs that will go down as "true classics" . Why is this? IS it because people pour scorn on the genre, believeing it is reserved for angry pre pubescent teenagers or is it because they just lack the talent to be considered good artists?

For me, todays bands cannot touch the likes of The Smiths, Joy division, the who, the jam and The Cult.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Can you just define what you mean by "metal" bands?

I assume you mean people like Cradle of Filth, Iron Maiden etc, or are you covering the entire alternative scene with your definition?

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
marche Dood , i mean come one.

And yes the majority of metal bands usualy will write thier own lyrics and music.

I'll give an example of one of my Fav bands. "Metallica".

They have writen 95% of all the songs they have released on various Albums.
They write thier own music....

The music i usual Listen to is something where they can do a Un-Plugged session. Always remeber the skit on a comedy show showing 808 state doing a un-plugged session , 2 guys standing on a stage ... made me laugh.

Now i don't put people down for thier tastes , I'll jsut say thats not for me and thats the end. Don't try and batter down a whole Section of music simple because you dont' like it, and i can say with 100% certainty that with all your rantings on this subject you will cahnge 0 peoples mind about anything to wit hthe subject at hand.

Marc

FH is my second home
Metallica are shit an all. They should of quit years ago. Their songs just sound the same. Nothing like flogging a dead horse.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Their songs just sound the same.

Musically, The Smiths songs sound more similar to each other than Metallica. Same chord progressions, predictable vocal style, similar range/timbre and tempo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom