What song are you listening to right now?

Marc

FH is my second home
eggy said:
Musically, The Smiths songs sound more similar to each other than Metallica. Same chord progressions, predictable vocal style, similar range/timbre and tempo.

I dont agree. The early Smiths stuff to a certain degree yes, but as time went on, Morrisey showed what a really accomplished singer he was. He was anything but predictable. I dont owe you anything highlights this. I dont sgree about the chord progression. If my memory serves me correct, from my days playing guitar, Metallicas chord prgression was always..

D5, F5, G5, A5G5, F5, G5, A5, G5 etc

I fail to recollect, The Smiths being anything similiar and my music teacher at the time gave me loads of Smiths to learn. Johnny Marr was an awesome guitarist.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Metallica are shit an all. They should of quit years ago. Their songs just sound the same. Nothing like flogging a dead horse.

so you just gona continue trying to bait people into a flame war or gona have a decent conversation ?

if it's the former .. :wanker: , if it's the latter :clap:

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
If my memory serves me correct, from my days playing guitar, Metallicas chord prgression was always..

D5, F5, G5, A5G5, F5, G5, A5, G5 etc

Well your memory is wrong i'm afriad d00d.
Very wrong .

Im' staying out of the smith's side of things , as i never really listend to them so i can't comment.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not saying "METAL BANDS ARE BETTER THAN THE SMITHS" or anything like that. I'm just saying that it is hypocritcal to say one band is crap and predictable, when in essence, the wide majority of music, including The Smiths is just as predictable and "samey", as every band has it's own style.

Most Smiths songs use between 2 and 4 chords throughout, often focussing on major triads with little or no inversions. You haven't defined what you mean by "metal" here, but in general, compared to a simple soft pop/rock track like The Smiths produce, metal music as a generic style incorporates syncopation, polyrhythm, complex textures and harmonic/melodic counterpoint, dissonance as well as consonace and atonality.

Basically, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am not a metal fan in terms of Metallica, Cradle of Filth etc, nor am I a fan of 'dance/trance' music, or The Smiths (in fact, I can't stand Morrissey), but I still appreciate how the components and fashion of the different musical genres make it pleasing to a wide audience. Over-generalisations and saying "it's shit" means nothing really.

Marc

FH is my second home
[SS]Gamblor said:
so you just gona continue trying to bait people into a flame war or gona have a decent conversation ?

if it's the former .. :wanker: , if it's the latter :clap:

I first listened to Metalica when i was going through my "mosher" stage in life, back in 1992 - 1993. I think the album of that time was "black" or at least that was the album i had, along with Master of puppets. I listen to the stuff they do now and its just the same. They even released an unforgiven 2 ffs. Compare that to someone like the Chilis. Back in the early 90's, in the uplif mofo party plan and Freaky Styley days, they had heavy influences from punk and funk. They have changed over the years, and stopped their music from going stale. For me, Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a better album than anything Metalica ever produced (and yes, i have heard every metalica album). Just my opinion, not going to change anyone elses opinion.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
Marc said:
I first listened to Metalica when i was going through my "mosher" stage in life, back in 1992 - 1993. I think the album of that time was "black" or at least that was the album i had, along with Master of puppets. I listen to the stuff they do now and its just the same. They even released an unforgiven 2 ffs. Compare that to someone like the Chilis. Back in the early 90's, in the uplif mofo party plan and Freaky Styley days, they had heavy influences from punk and funk. They have changed over the years, and stopped their music from going stale. For me, Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a better album than anything Metalica ever produced (and yes, i have heard every metalica album). Just my opinion, not going to change anyone elses opinion.

I can't honestly believe you have listened to every Metallica album and thought they were the same. Whereas Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightening are thrash metal classics, the Loads are straightforward rock songs really and St Anger is just another slab of nu-metal. While I definatly do not like this change of style, to me they have changed more than RHCP, since to me "By the way" and "give it away" sound pretty similar, and could easily have come off the same album. To me, you seem more taken with metals "image" of fat sweaty teenagers than actually listening to its music.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Marc said:

So you think that st anger sounds the same as battery or nothing else matters? To say they all sound the same just shows even more how unwilling you are to open your mind. They are completely different and yes, this is coming from a guitarist also. Kirks scale progressions were the only things which had been pretty consistant with not much change up until st anger (when they got rid of them o_O). As for the rest, it's about different topics, different moods and completely different styles of play.

Ooh and going back to an old point you've made about all metal bands screaming down the mic.....is james hetfields voice really screaming? I mean I never knew that church choir taught people how to 'scream'; because that's where he learnt to sing.

The chances are, that if you were given a lot of the smiths to play instead of metallica, that you were in fact being taught by an older rock guitarist instead of a metal guitarist which would probably explain why he gave you things other then metal to play. It's like walking into an ibiza club and wondering why they aren't playing aerosmith :p

If you really still think that ALL metal sucks because you've listened to too much linkin park, I'd suggest trying different artists. Jason becker, dream theatre or down.....they're all completely different styles of metal which are FAR more advanced then anything in the charts today and have heavy classical influences.

Marc said:
The most obvious example of a good song writer and performing artist would be dido. I dunno, do metal bands write their own songs or get a third party to do it? I guess they write their own? Sting, Phil collins, Mcartney et al, even to a degree id say Noel Gallagher. All great song writers and artists. Metal bands will never be anything more than "touring bands". They will never produce any songs that will go down as "true classics" . Why is this? IS it because people pour scorn on the genre, believeing it is reserved for angry pre pubescent teenagers or is it because they just lack the talent to be considered good artists?

You do know that metallica are the 7th largest selling act in american history right? You do know that they've had several number 1s right but just aren't played because people such as yourself would refuse to play them purely because of their links to 'metal' which has a shocking commerical face.

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
I think Marc is deaf and bitter tbh. And lol @ comparing metallica and RHCP.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:
Ooh and going back to an old point you've made about all metal bands screaming down the mic.....is james hetfields voice really screaming? I mean I never knew that church choir taught people how to 'scream'; because that's where he learnt to sing.

I think he was confusing it with (scr)emo music, which is a completely different ball game.

Kwidz mentioned Taking Back Sunday - they incorporate 'screaming' into tracks; but are in no sense of the word 'metal'. They are wicked live by the way; someone maybe caught them and Chemical Romance in London the other week.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Morrisey was a pretentious whining wiener

Natswoo

Banned
eggy said:
Marc I think you are being incredibly narrow-minded about this.

I am not exactly a metal fan, I prefer listening to alternative rock/screamo etc. However, saying that metal music is badly written is simply bollocks. Different skills are required for each type of music, but I think it is pretty pathetic to sum everything up in a few sentaces saying its complete shite.

I personally don't get much out of hearing the same synthesised loops going over and over and over again, with badly autotuned female vocal lines, awful 'drumming' (sythesised) while getting involved with E drug culture. Some people do, fair enough, I don't think it's fair to slag it off.

I edited this because I re-read and a few sentances were unfair.
Eggy we /wub you ;)

Marc

FH is my second home
Morrisey was a bit of a tit. But was one of the best at what he did so hes allowed to be

Helme

Resident Freddy
Zeromancer - Doctor Online
I love this song for some reason :E

xtb4

Fledgling Freddie
Sobek said:
nu-metal! easiest term in the world, hell lets call it pop aswell? Slipknot is a Progressive Industrial/Heavy band, and a terrible vocalist? by the looks of it, you enjoy listening to catchy tunes and clueless kids yelling in a mic? Corey Tayler is probably the best rock/metal vocalist to date, and their lyrics isnt about depressed teenagers.

So get a grip before handing out random bullshit.

Industrial!!?? FFS! Go and get yer zits squeezed by yer mum.... :puke:

xtb4

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
The most obvious example of a good song writer and performing artist would be dido. I dunno, do metal bands write their own songs or get a third party to do it? I guess they write their own? Sting, Phil collins, Mcartney et al, even to a degree id say Noel Gallagher. All great song writers and artists. Metal bands will never be anything more than "touring bands". They will never produce any songs that will go down as "true classics" . Why is this? IS it because people pour scorn on the genre, believeing it is reserved for angry pre pubescent teenagers or is it because they just lack the talent to be considered good artists?

For me, todays bands cannot touch the likes of The Smiths, Joy division, the who, the jam and The Cult.

Balls.... Ace of Spades by Motorhead. No air guitaring at their gigs, just lots of unadulterated violence.... but not as much as at psychobilly gigs in their heyday... <reminisces about lost youth>...

Anyway, The Cult started Indie (Moya etc.), went Popish (She Sells Sanctuary - possibly one the best songs ever) and then more "metally" (Love Removal Machine et al). As for JD.... magnificent.

Currently listening to Geburt Einer Nation by Laibach, those Slovenian weirdoes.... bless 'em.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Marc said:
Johnny Marr was an awesome guitarist.

/Agree. Marr is a great and widely respected guitar player. He's appeared on countless Albums as a guest player for the simple reason that he is bloody good. The the - timebomb for example, great album.

IMHO what stood the Smiths out from the pack was the clever wity lyrics.

Kir, metal the closest form of music to classical! You been smoking the bad stuff again ;). Apart from using the same 4 chords I see very little to base that on. Also, the most complex form? I would have said Jazz as a genre.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Hawkwind said:
Kir, metal the closest form of music to classical! You been smoking the bad stuff again ;). Apart from using the same 4 chords I see very little to base that on. Also, the most complex form? I would have said Jazz as a genre.

While I don't particularly disagree about the jazz comment, if you think that metal songs consist of 4 chords then I can only suggest to you the thing I suggested to marc. Listen to real heavy metal and not the shite which gets hyped up by record companies because all they are all pop bands with distortion who sing about getting paper cuts and how bad their life is...

Again, dream theatre, jason becker and down ...3 very different metal bands/guitarists which are much better then anything found in the charts (for complexity even if you disagree about their ease of listening)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom