Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Sagging capitols

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The only thing I hope that doesn’t happen is the l33t group where you can’t RvR unless you’re of a specific class and spec as you just can’t compete.

:england:

Zerg warfare should fix that nicely if they deliver what it says on the tin, all out war! :)

Asq

Fledgling Freddie
Zerg warfare should fix that nicely if they deliver what it says on the tin, all out war! :)

I doubt zergwarfare will limit that. Although running in zergs will deminish less suitable careers from partaking, at some moment in time there will be the standardized group set-ups which are reckoned optimized.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
As long as we as a community don`t put up with whining kids moaning about getting added on ect and just tell them to fuck off back to DAoC or whatever should be AOK :)

Dard

Part of the furniture
Looking forward to all of it with (hopefully) balanced classes & no fekkin stealthers :england:

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Just as a note, as GM of LOE (for all that means heh) Ill be strongly against any kind of 'hey we were dueling WTH are you doing'.

IMo we are all buying this game to wage war upon the enemy and sack his cities, not to pussyfoot around.

If people want to pussyfoot around, fair enough, but dont try have a go at me or LOE for crushing the enemy at any opportunity :england:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just as a note, as GM of LOE (for all that means heh) Ill be strongly against any kind of 'hey we were dueling WTH are you doing'.

IMo we are all buying this game to wage war upon the enemy and sack his cities, not to pussyfoot around.

If people want to pussyfoot around, fair enough, but dont try have a go at me or LOE for crushing the enemy at any opportunity :england:

:clap:

I shall be killing all enemy duelists on sight! :D

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
I just hope the World objectives are important enough to fight for. I hope they don’t go the wow way of silly pointless buffs from objectives that change hands every 5 minutes or when some solo captures them for a quest hand in.
The World objectives NEED to be something the realm cares about and is willing to zerg up and defend.
The best nights in DAoC for me were attacking or being attacked in a relic raid.
Everyone abandoned PVE to defend, including sidi/dragon raids, PUG and the guild groups fought side by side. Scouts were out reporting, groups were organised, gold was thrown at the defence. How many I wonder bankrupted themselves to pay for wood to fix and upgrade doors and did it willingly because it mattered.
The scenarios I can take or leave but the World rvr has to be good and for that there has to be a reason to do it.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH

Well if you want certain people to dislike you thats certainly a way to do it :p

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Crispy, im signing up to Order/Destruction, to fight and kill our enemies, to drive them back and biurn their cities to dust.

If somebody want sto arge with me that I cant do that, or that im not allowed to attack them because they are duelling....then I simply wont listen.

IT IS THE DUELLERS WHO ARE DISTORTING THE GAME. Not the people who wish to buy the game and have WARfare.

Thats not to say I intend to gank any1 I can, I always try fight with some honour, IE id nevr jump on a much lower level player to kill him (unless somehow that said player was influencing something in the war/fight/plan).

This game (I hope) is about the Regiments of the Warhammer World smashing each other to pieces.

I hope the DEVS remember this.

I hope players inclined to 'blacklisitng duel killers' remember this.

Regardless, if the duellers are prominent on our server, I dont care who they blacklist, they are still going to be in the way of our advancing army :D

PS do I sound angry?, I dont intend to come come across as angry ;)

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Of course you are allowed to attack whatever you see, but you should also realize that you might be ruining the fun for someone else... Just because it is your RIGHT you dont actually have to excercise it.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldnt always excercise it, but what annoys me, or should I say, what I will always be 100% against, is any1 criticising people for playing the game as it shoul dbe instead of pigeonholing themselves into how they think the rest of the server should behave and their distorted version of the game.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
As the game should be played? Aint the game about having fun? And if dueling is what those people thought was fun who are we to judge whether they play the game right or wrong?

It goes both ways you know - mutual respect from all players... If some of my actions really bothers my realm mates i would probably take it into consideration whenever i encountered them. I mean, why piss people off?

I dont suppose you ever soloed and took a boat ride for 10 min just to have your little 1on1 fight destroyed by some inconsiderable assholes? Really starts to annoy you the 10th time it happens :D

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Every enemy is a target, dueling or not. If your realm m8 loses then it impacts in a small way on everyone.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Dueling is something you do with someone on your own side.

RvR is something you do against the enemy.

If you want a 1v1 fight do it in the PvE parts of the game. If you really must have a 1v1 against the enemy you best be finding somewhere very out of the way to do it or you run the risk of some else stepping in. You are setting yourself up to have your "fun ruined" by expecting to have 1v1 in a war zone???

:england:

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
All im saying is why piss people off like that?

You can just as well leave them alone - theyre your realm mates for gods sake ^_^

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
I'll happily leave my realm mate alone, it's the guy from the other side I'll be targeting.

As for "pissing him off" well if we are talking emotional responses here my reaction would be why should I be the one to not have fun because some selfish person wants the be the only one allowed to fight a certain enemy. But that is getting away from the point.

I'm not against 1v1 fights but demanding others leave the enemy alone is an unreasonable request.

I assume this person you are dueling is a pre-arranged duel, if this is the case arrange to meet way off the beaten track, it will reduce the chance of someone ruining your well planned day ;)

If it's not pre-arranged and you are talking about adding, well that's unfortunately the nature of world RvR, and you are better off fighting in an instance style arena.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I got agree with Lexa on this, neither WAR or DAoC will be or are duel games. Some players have a notion that there is fair play in war or RvR or whatever. Fair numbers, fair fights, fair whatnot. Only thing that matter is the fight, either you kill or get killed. Easy as that.

"Fair fights" are just sore players complaining that they lost the real fight.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Good grief! The game's not even out yet and already the add whine has started...

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Id call it healthy debate ;p But I wont let people on my server try dictacte to us who we can and cant attack.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Of course you are allowed to attack whatever you see, but you should also realize that you might be ruining the fun for someone else... Just because it is your RIGHT you dont actually have to excercise it.

Don't be silly, this is realm v's realm and people who don't want to take part in that can use the senarios. If you get caught dueling in an RvR zone then expect to have your head smashed in! :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If it's not pre-arranged and you are talking about adding, well that's unfortunately the nature of world RvR, and you are better off fighting in an instance style arena.

Why is adding 'unfortunate'? If you ask Mythic they will tell you that this is realm versus realm, the game was designed with 'adding' in mind. They specifically made a PvP server type in DAoC for this very reason, so that people who prefer solo fights can play that server and have a higher chance of finding the solo combat they crave. In short, RvR servers or at least RvR warfare zones are not the place for those who want private duels. Those wanting anything else should use the instances or wait for a PvP server.

Draig

Fledgling Freddie
some rvr news

"You can head out to the war camps at any level. That's the way we've designed RvR," said Ryan Bernard, RvR Designer at EA Mythic. "It's open warfare on the frontier." Armed with years of refining large scale online Realm vs. Realm warfare in Dark Ages of Camelot, Realm vs. Realm warfare in Warhammer Online promises to be a fun and challenging experience.

"Most PvP in MMOGs are an afterthought," said Associate Producer Carrie Gouskos. "Or else it's a pure PvP world," chimed in Product Manager Eric Correll as we sat in a circle, on the 4th floor of the Seattle Convention Center on the last day of PAX 2007, tucked away from the madding crowd. "But we're designing Warhammer for both PvE and PvP and have balanced it from the beginning for that." Ryan Bernard concluded.

The difference here is that PvP is really RvR - Realm vs. Realm. That is to say, you can only hunt players of the opposing Realm(s). In Warhammer, there are four RvR scenarios planned. Skirmishes can be found on the open frontier where it is open RvR. For PvE players who want to get their feet wet in the arena of RvR, there are quests that require them to enter the RvR areas. They can either make a mad dash for it and hope that they can accomplish what they need to do in the 10 seconds that it takes before they are flagged "killable" by the opposing realm, or take some friends and keep a wary eye on the horizon. Some of these quests will allow "zone hugging" where players can make a dash in, accomplish their objective - which could be to hunt a critter that only roams in the frontier areas or gather a herb that grows there - then zone out to rest. The zones are seamlessly integrated though, and players will have to take note when they receive a UI warning that informs them they will be flagged "killable" when they cross the actual "zone line."

"The aim is to give players a taste of what it's like to play in the RvR," said Ryan. "Of course you don't have to take the quest if you really don't want to, but we think once they get a taste of the adrenaline rush, they'll want more."

Frontier Battlefield Objectives are the second scenario. These are control points that can be held for victory points. When captured and held for three minutes, the control point cannot be retaken for five minutes. Different areas are ranked from low levels to high, so all players have the ability to experience RvR against players of similar levels.

The third RvR scenario is the focused, instanced scenario. 30 are planned on release, distributed from the first tier to level 40. These scenarios will carry significant weight in RvR points, and range from small group scenarios to large scale ones.

Finally, the last scenario - is the high level City Capture scenario. These cities are instanced replicas of the original city. The original city remains in the world and will continue to be your newbie safe areas with training NPCs, auction houses, etc. The instanced replicas will have very few NPCs. Instead, there are objectives that you are going after, certain areas that you want to capture. You will have attackers and defenders. No further detail was revealed.

Mechanisms to help balance zone control and realm population discrepancies are planned although they could not talk about them at this point in time. Since RvR scenarios are level based, all a player has to do is approach the NPC, and register for a scenario. Once there are enough opposing forces you will be informed with a UI box, and on acceptance will be transported into the battlefield. EA Mythic plans on allowing players to continue playing anywhere in the world while waiting for scenarios to fill, rather than having to remain in the close by geographic area.

It was a pleasant informal chat with me making jokes about tricksy reporter questions and devs talking too much as I tried to get as much information as I could out of the trio, at the same time assuring them that I understood that there was information they were not ready to share.

"So, how are you preventing the higher level players from assisting or griefing in the low level areas?" I wanted to know.

"We turn you into a chicken." Was Eric's dead-pan response.

"Serious?"

"Serious!" All three responded with grins on there faces and off we went into chicken-zerg flights of fancy.

"They can peck!" exclaimed Carrie. "One point! One point!"

"We'll have chicken achievement statistics."

"A fried chicken title or drumstick badge for being killed as a chicken."

But no, although you will be turned into a chicken if you enter an area that is ranked lower level than you, nothing else has been finalized. Not the defense and armor class stats, nor attack. Not even the pecking damage. But still... imagine chicken against chicken battles led by low level fighters.

We segued into the Tome of knowledge from there as we walked back into the Exhibition Hall so I could get some hands-on time in an RvR scenario. "We are tracking over 5,000 different achievements, and this will be a true Tome that you can page through in the game UI." Said Carrie. "We are still toying around with the idea of server firsts and we don't know if we'll implement that. That rewards the early adopters and then it's no fun anymore."

What else is this Tome, besides tracking achievements? "It's also your quest journal," replied Carrie. "It really is a tome of knowledge. For example, if you are working on the bestiary part, after you've killed a Squig, it will show a picture of a Squig. It will give you hints about some things as you progress, after you attain one objective, it will tell you what the next is."

In the exhibition hall, I jumped into a 7 on 7, playing a squishy mage on a floating shield. I had slows, dots, buffs, heals and I was targeted a lot. Gee... I wonder why. We went into a scenario with four capture points. We captured the first and the Greenskin team figured out where we were re-spawning. I kept trying to rally my team into going after the next objective instead of engaging the enemy to no avail. So I played support. Buff, slow, dot, heal, rumbled, re-spawn. Combat was fast, as was power regeneration. Re-spawn was quickly done without death penalties although I could not tell if this was merely for demo purposes. We *cough* won. Only because we captured a single objective and the teams were more interested in jumping into the fray and croaking enemies than going after the other battle objectives.

As with any other game still in the design stage, there was only so much information that the developers could reveal. Siege Engines? Of course. We've seen the Orc catapult. But others? Can't talk about it. Mounted combat? Can't talk about it. Plain old mounts? Can't talk about it. However, as far as I can see, it's shaping up well.

*cough* will hold judgement on "instanced capture city" until I played
source

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah that does sound odd. They will wait for enough people to gather to defend before they start. Will that lead to six queues of people waiting for defenders I wonder :p

Guess we need more information on that one.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm starts out plugging open RVR and then moves towards the main objectives are instanced.

Lets hope they either do it much better than some fear, or they change it to proper RVR. Not 'some of the server vs some of the server'...in a magical seperate reality.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
The more I read the more worried I get. They seem to be compromising their original vision of the game in the name of balance. They need to be brave and enforce population balance at the selection process.
If one sides population is a certain % greater then the other side then they simply close that faction till it balances out.
“But I want to play with my m8 on that server/faction”. You join a server queue, you get a spot when someone else leaves/becomes inactive on that realm.

“Nuke em, it’s the only way to be sure”

kivik

Part of the furniture
If one sides population is a certain % greater then the other side then they simply close that faction till it balances out.
“But I want to play with my m8 on that server/faction”. You join a server queue, you get a spot when someone else leaves/becomes inactive on that realm.

“Nuke em, it’s the only way to be sure”

What a joke.

chodaz said:
They specifically made a PvP server type in DAoC for this very reason, so that people who prefer solo fights can play that server and have a higher chance of finding the solo combat they crave

They failed miserably.

Looking forward for this, won't be touching silly instances though. The instanced RvR description in the interview sounds exactly like WoW, pure shit.

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
open world all the way :clap:

and duellers: prepare to be pissed off! cos i couldn't give a monkeys :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom