What do YOU really think about adding?

I think that 'adding'...

• ...generally makes the game more fun, I seek to do it whenever possible

Votes: 50 11.8%
  • ...generally makes the game more fun, though I would not add on people I knew didn't want me to

Votes: 66 15.5%
  • ...generally makes the game less fun, but I add on most people unless I *know* they won't add on me

Votes: 33 7.8%
  • ...generally makes the game less fun, but I will add as retaliation or as a preventative measure

Votes: 70 16.5%
  • ...generally makes the game less fun, I never add on anyone unless I am certain they will add on me

Votes: 166 39.1%
  • ...is an axe being constantly ground by Slayn who is some dork with no life and his feet smell

Votes: 40 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Personaly i dont got annything against adding. but if i see a 1on1 i generaly leave em (and if the enemy wins i kill him/her). unless i see a realm mate get realy powerowned. then i add to prevent a friend die to a foe.
normaly i get powerowned no matter what class i play so i like beeing added on. saved me more then once :p

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Raven said:
only idiots with a limeted imagination use the term roleplayer to put people down. funny thing is they think people actually care :)

No ones done that yet have they? I surely didn't - was just making a point about people who say 'I play as the game is designed'.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
ebenezer said:
Thats not my experience how we played 20 years ago. We had great fun and sure it as some boosting on who got the best hits in and so on, other then that it was as it should be...some hardcore rolplaying...
Probably painted too much of a negative picture, it was alot of fun at the time - and a social thing, a laugh - but there wasn't much actual roleplaying going among the couple of grps I knew playing. Knew there was an older lot that took that side of the game more seriously, but great thing about those games was the diversity - basic set of rules and everything was open after that what you made of them.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Maeloch said:
Irony is, 20yrs back or whatever when perhaps some of the peeps now playing this would be sat around in someones kitchen rolling dice in an old skool *roleplaying* game...

V little proper roleplaying was really done. Most of it was just the same stuff: toons competing vs each other for the best kit (even if they were supposed to be on the same side), endless nerdyness about game mechanics/rules, endless rows about nothing (any normal person gives a shit about).

Not got much to do with the thread, but always struck me when term roleplaying used alot of behaviour in the old roleplaying games prolly had more in common with leet behaviour here than anything else.

What you described is called a munchkin :). I remember a friend trying to cover his munchkiness in one of his chars of the pen and paper RPGs we played in a roleplaying background. So I got to agree, was a bit roleplaying and a lot of being a munchkin.

People using terms like noob or roleplayer in order to insult others are just laughable, players have specific strengths and weaknesses in a game like humans have in the real world. Making fun out of it, I don't know.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Maeloch said:
Probably painted too much of a negative picture, it was alot of fun at the time - and a social thing, a laugh - but there wasn't much actual roleplaying going among the couple of grps I knew playing. Knew there was an older lot that took that side of the game more seriously, but great thing about those games was the diversity - basic set of rules and everything was open after that what you made of them.

I remember some hardcore character generation sessions, the process of tweaking a character to become very powerful before he stood one step in the roleplaying game and earned his first karma/experience/whatsoever can be compared to making a template in DAoC. Reading dozen of rule books and justifying a +4 bonus to some stat with a roleplaying background was commonly used by the players I met :).

Bleh, I still have tons of Shadowrun and Rifts rule books here.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
only idiots with a limeted imagination use the term roleplayer to put people down. funny thing is they think people actually care :)

true:)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Maeloch said:

hehe..yeh actually though it was a long time ago i ever had any serious rpg, some of those memories are some of the best i have. Some great fun with really good friends. But as you say it did get out of hand ocasionaly as well tbh, sometimes when we were suppose to have a session we just rolled characters and chatted and never played....or met up..chatted ate a lot and then it was too late and we went home:p
Those were the days...
over and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom