Warriors & Talents

Big_Boss

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
13
Lo all i started few weeks ago and lovin it. decided 2 make a human warrior alliance. I kinda confused on what i should spec my talents in. I'll be groupin alot of the time with rl m8s who are hunter,paly,druid and mage. I wanna be main damage dealer (usin LW axe) in grp but i wanna be able 2 protect the druid or mage. if any 1 can suggest a good solid talent tree that i could follow would appreciate it. Thx and hope 2 cya one day in game. :clap:
 

Gray

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
3,112
I use the Fury Tree, all my Talents but one are in that tree, and ive maxxed out the top 3/4 i think...

Seem to do well, although my damage isnt all that great for a Dual Wielder (Level 30 doing about 70/40 damage) altho i have my eye on a nice two handed Axe i might go get...
 

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
2,871
If you want to be the main damage dealer in the group dont roll a warrior ;)
 

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
10,402
Big_Boss said:
Lo all i started few weeks ago and lovin it. decided 2 make a human warrior alliance. I kinda confused on what i should spec my talents in. I'll be groupin alot of the time with rl m8s who are hunter,paly,druid and mage. I wanna be main damage dealer (usin LW axe) in grp but i wanna be able 2 protect the druid or mage. if any 1 can suggest a good solid talent tree that i could follow would appreciate it. Thx and hope 2 cya one day in game. :clap:

u can not and SHOULD NOT be the main damage dealer as a warrior in WoW. what you ARE is the meat shield and main aggro holder and nothing else. atleast when it comes to pve. and theres not so many things u can do to keep ur team mates protected in pve other then HOLD AGGRO! and do NOT use a 2 hander for that. the priest will hate u for it in the end because of too much downtime(you take a HOLE lot more damage when trying to dish out the leet damage as a warrior with a 2 hander/2 1 handers while u also have main aggro.) shield and 1 hander is the way to go. i'd say go for a solid PVE build until ur 60 and then respec to whatever u want.


P.S, speaking from a priests POV here. I HATE WARRIORS WHO THINK THEY ARE ROGUES! :(

if u want to be the main damage dealer roll a Rogue or a Mage. NOT a warrior.


sorry for the rant. just came from Scarlet monastery where i had to keep 2 warriors alive that refused to use a shield just coz they thought they were damage dealing classes. ended up with me not healing them.......
 

Nala

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
34
End game warriors (the ones that aren't the MT) do just fine as huge dmg dealers. Don't give bad/misleading advice. ;x
 

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
777
Nala said:
End game warriors (the ones that aren't the MT) do just fine as huge dmg dealers. Don't give bad/misleading advice. ;x
Damage is too sparadic to be considered a hudge damage dealer. Damage relies to heavly on Crits for damage and with good gear (slow 2h wep/Good Critstrike Items) Axe spec etc your Crit chance will be between 20-25% or 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 swings. Damage when you crit is good but over all DPS is below most other classes.
 

Sparrow

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
394
Garok said:
Damage is too sparadic to be considered a hudge damage dealer. Damage relies to heavly on Crits for damage and with good gear (slow 2h wep/Good Critstrike Items) Axe spec etc your Crit chance will be between 20-25% or 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 swings. Damage when you crit is good but over all DPS is below most other classes.
The crit chance in "good gear" is over 30%. Overall DPS is right up there with the rogues. For example, Ascent (guild on Medivh/US) posted the damage stats of the first worldwide Ragnaros kill, and the rogues and warriors were competing for top positions.

That's single target damage. Add the fact that warriors can do AoE damage (whirlwind/cleave/sweeping strikes) and they're up high on the DPS stats.

Now, that aside, you'll often have to put aside your damage dealing desires when a group needs it. Some instances you should be using shield most of the time - some are a mix of damage and tanking. To be a good warrior, you have to know what you should be doing in any given situation.

I'm a 31 Arms/20 Fury warrior. I carry around two sets of gear - PvP/DPS gear with high crit chance, and tanking gear. Groups that invite me usually invite me again the next time. There's a lot of bad warriors out there - it doesn't take much to be recognized as a good one.
 

Sparrow

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
394
As for going for a so-called "PvE build" (aka the "we think this makes you a good tank" build) it'll seriously gimp your soloing abilities with not much gain - the Protection talents are 1) Not very good 2) Not needed.

The talents in Protection that actually have a use are all low in the tree and no use until high level - Defiance, Toughness, Anticipation, Imp Shield Block, Last Stand. Imp Shield Wall helps - a little. Shield Discipline is good used right though.

Note: I've been full Protection spec.
 

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
777
I would imagin the reason though that warriors and rogues were top for damage is that unlike mages hunters warlocks etc they dont rely on mana for damage.

Agree with you on Prot spec though some nice stuff in there but to many wasted points to get it.

Think the problem though is to many people role a warrior of being a damage class then turn up for instance groups with out a shield sit in Zerk stance etc.
(or so ive been told).How to play a warrior deffinsively is something you have to learn, rather than doing damage which is more spec and equipment.
 

Sparrow

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
394
Exactly. Being a good warrior is being able to fill in either rule - dps or tanking - regardless of spec - and more importantly, knowing when to.
 

Nala

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
34
All I was saying is don't turn people away from the class saying "they are crap dps" when it's so untrue. I do realise they can't always perform the role of dps, but in PvP, and a large % of PvE (any time when they're not main tank in an instance group, or doing an elite/hard quest, prolly) they can churn out impressive dps.
 

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
742
Sparrow said:
The crit chance in "good gear" is over 30%. Overall DPS is right up there with the rogues. For example, Ascent (guild on Medivh/US) posted the damage stats of the first worldwide Ragnaros kill, and the rogues and warriors were competing for top positions.

That's single target damage. Add the fact that warriors can do AoE damage (whirlwind/cleave/sweeping strikes) and they're up high on the DPS stats.

Now, that aside, you'll often have to put aside your damage dealing desires when a group needs it. Some instances you should be using shield most of the time - some are a mix of damage and tanking. To be a good warrior, you have to know what you should be doing in any given situation.

I'm a 31 Arms/20 Fury warrior. I carry around two sets of gear - PvP/DPS gear with high crit chance, and tanking gear. Groups that invite me usually invite me again the next time. There's a lot of bad warriors out there - it doesn't take much to be recognized as a good one.
this man speaks the truth
 

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
429
Nala said:
End game warriors (the ones that aren't the MT) do just fine as huge dmg dealers. Don't give bad/misleading advice. ;x
Word.
 

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
725
Garok said:
Think the problem though is to many people role a warrior of being a damage class then turn up for instance groups with out a shield sit in Zerk stance etc.
rofl they are the funniest people ever.
i think the best 1 i met called me a idiot fro getting tactical mastery. allowing me to charge an change stances in fights... when he sat in zerker and had to use bloodrage to get rage to use intercept at the start of a fight... now dont get me wrong it gives the 3sec stun, but that just seems a silly to me.

and every1s saying protection spec sucks blah blah. it does have good points. just because its not to ur playstyle doesnt mean its bad.
1 of the best pve and pvp warriors i know is prot/arms/fury. he uses 1h+shield and tbh he is a amazing tank and can more than hold his own in pvp. knowing when to switch his stances and use stuns etc.
protection spec isnt needed for pve ur right. but as a priest having a prot spec warrior as main tank can make life easier for sure.
warrior are very able in most roles imo definatly a player based class than a talent based class, although i suppose all of them are really.
 

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,416
warriors in berserker tank great and hold aggro like mad.
 

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
10,402
Nala said:
End game warriors (the ones that aren't the MT) do just fine as huge dmg dealers. Don't give bad/misleading advice. ;x

and that is why i said

Qtuchik said:
i'd say go for a solid PVE build until ur 60 and then respec to whatever u want.
i dont care what the warriors do at end game if they arent MT. what i DO care about is when they WONT use a shield when they ARE MT!!

and i never said anything aboput going prot spec just because its a "pve build". i dont really care what talents they have. aslong as they can keep aggro i'm happy. but theres WAY to few good warriors who acually knows what the hell they are doing when they are in a instance grp. blizzard made this game TO casual/solo friendly. ppl aint getting grp trained until its time to do the end game instances. and then its usually to late to learn for most of the thickheads. this goes for any class in most cases.
 

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
8,694
Warriors

* Due to significant talent changes, Warriors will have all talent points refunded and can be respent.
* Hamstring - Will now cause damage to targets immune to movement slowing effects. Movement slowing effect improved.
* Improved Hamstring - Design changed. No longer improves the movement slowing effect. It is now a 3 point talent that gives a 5/10/15% chance to immobilize the target for 5 seconds.
* Booming Voice - In addition to increasing duration, this talent will now increase the area of effect of Battle Shout and Demoralizing Shout by 10/20/30/40/50%.
* Battle Shout - Tooltip updated to display area of effect (in yards).
* Demoralizing Shout - Tooltip updated to display area of effect (in yards).
* Improved Berserker Rage - No longer increases the duration of the effect. The talent will now generate 5/10 rage when Berserker Rage is used.
* Improved Demoralizing Shout - Effectiveness increase from talent increased to 8/16/24/32/40%.
* Piercing Howl - No longer has a prerequisite (Improved Demoralizing Shout).
* Deathwish - Is now usable while under a Fear effect, which will also remove the Fear effect.
* Bloodthirst - Design changed. Bloodthirst is now an instant melee attack that causes damage equal to 30% of the warrior's attack power. In addition, the next 5 successful melee attacks will restore health.
* Concussion Blow - No longer requires purchase of the Improved Revenge talent.
* Shield Discipline - Removed and replaced by the new talent Shield Slam.
* New Talent: Shield Slam - Slam the target with your shield, causing damage and has a 50% chance to dispel 1 magic effect on the target. Also causes a moderate amount of threat. Requires the purchase of the Concussion Blow talent.
* Heroic Strike/Sunder Armor/Revenge/Mocking Blow - Tooltips updated to indicate the additional threat caused by these abilities. There have been no changes to the amount of threat caused.
thats live on test servers now, so maybe protection becomes slightly better now? :p
 

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
725
as far as ican see they vamped up the fury tree not the protection.
fury is looking nice now and im using free respec to try it out when we get it.
but protection still looks shit imo.
i really wanna know how much hps is restored with bloodthirst now.
 

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
134
Spec doesnt matter much really

can tank mc/onyxia fine with cookie-cutter dps spec ( 31/20 arms/fury )

im running semi-protection now and it works really well ( 31/5/15 arms/fury/protection ) or ( 31/3/17 arms/fury/protection ) improved taunt is nice but you shouldnt need to depend on taunt!
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom