Ventrillo 3rd party program?

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
UC the tittle discuss...

might have been posted b4 i wanne c the pro gamers franticly dismiss it as such....

As imo it is a 3rd party programm because it benefits the people using it in rvr vs those who dont... let me have it :D

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
No :)

It doesn't interfere with the game itself in anyway - its no different from talking to the person sat next to you playing, whether that be in an internet cafe or at home. And I'm not a "pro gamer" at all, in fact I don't use Ventrillo that much :p Yes it gives an advantage if you are using over a group that isn't, but it's a free download and available to anyone so it's not like its a privileged few who can get it...

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
No :)

It doesn't interfere with the game itself in anyway - its no different from talking to the person sat next to you playing, whether that be in an internet cafe or at home.

its a mass multiplayer online game... not sitting next too each other. and sitting next too each other gives u lots of advantage over people who dont..
and when groups start too decline people if they dont have ventrillo it gets a bit silly imo...

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Phooka said:
sitting next too each other gives u lots of advantage over people who dont.....

Indeed, but the point is you wouldn't consider sitting next to someone (which many people do when playing) as using a 3rd party programme just because it gives a group advantages :)

Phooka said:
and when groups start too decline people if they dont have ventrillo it gets a bit silly imo...

Well not really. Personally I wouldn't do that, but if a group wants to take their rvr seriously and wants everyone to use ventrillo that's really up to them. It's no different from asking for specific classes or that people are sc'd etc., and they are perfectly entitled to do that :)

Phoebee-v-

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
Well not really. Personally I wouldn't do that, but if a group wants to take their rvr seriously and wants everyone to use ventrillo that's really up to them. It's no different from asking for specific classes or that people are sc'd etc., and they are perfectly entitled to do that :)

^^Agree.^^

on topic I wouldn't consider it as a 3rd party program as it doesn't effect the game it self as radar/macro tools and other junk/sh*t does.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
vent is not illegal....

i like it. becouse u can concentrate on playing instead of typeing instructions or stuff.
its allso a great way to loosen the barrier between ppl. u get to know them better when u speak to them instead of typeing.

its evryones choise if u want to use it or not.

and for the grp comment

i once had a healer in grp who wasnt whit us on teamspeak. it was bad, couse we speaked on ts and rare typed something just to ask for cure or something.
i hope this will never happen again :p

its the grp choise. like was sayd above... same as asking ur templated or not. if u arent... bye (depending on the grp ofc)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Teamspeak rocks - I couldn't RvR without it.

And I don't think it should be banned as a 3rd party programme any more than MSN should. All it does is save you typing tbh.

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
I use Vent/TS all the time. Its main function for me is to just talk to my mates, but ofc I also use it in RvR.

Teamspeak / Vent are third party programs. Third party programs don't always = bad, but there are arguments for and against.

A teamspeak/vent server costs money, and some can't run the client without lagging too much. Not everyone can afford a headset, some people are just shy. etc etc.

The way I look at it is, people can use Teamspeak, Vent, MSN, IRC, Skype. You can't just single out one because its the most common.

But the program doesn't directly effect the game (i.e packet sniff, radar etc), which is proberly why it is allowed. Though I have never seen a post for and/or against TS/Vent from GOA/Mythic. Considering how common it is, I think they would lose alot of customers if they banned it.

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
Ryuno said:
I use Vent/TS all the time. Its main function for me is to just talk to my mates, but ofc I also use it in RvR.

Me too, every time i start my comp i log in to my friends vent server.

Vent isnt even close to being a 3rd party cheat program imo but if it is then even a phone should be considered a 3rd party program. Actually Mythic/GOA even made a poll where we could vote to have a DAoC voicechat integrated into the game.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Phooka said:
i wanne c the pro gamers franticly dismiss it as such....
Who gives a fuck? ^^

Ventrilo is legal and therefore we use it. End of story...

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
teamspeak.gif

Asked ages ago, but still current.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Tears said:
teamspeak.gif

Asked ages ago, but still current.

says it all, ive asked many times with few gms i know and it is not against the CoC vent/ts is a great thing to have, tbh im not a big fan off example rvring and having to type things like ... KITE BACK, MEZZD, THIS TARGET NEEDS TO BE DROPED, its a thousand time better just talking to your group m8s on vent or your set group.

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
Personally, i think everyone that RvR's should have it downloaded, even if you don't have a mic you can join the channel and listen. Yes indeed it helps. It's another tool at you ability to use.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Cant se why it shoundt be legal. It just helps ppl preform, and relax. Typing while running in rvr is very anoying,especially if your eg the main ccer. I normaly sit next to the person im playing with, witch i must say, give a huge advantage, and is far more fun :)
And they are integrating it into the game now it seems. So they must feal the community wants more of it.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I think you could make an argument for it being at least as unbalancing in the game as radar, and could be counter to the rules/spirit of the game.

Having said that, voice coms are used by soooo many people, and soooo many would quit without it, that there is no way people would be banned for using it (at least until Voice Coms are integrated into Camelot - then I could forsee using third party tools would be disliked - as they'd let you talk to any realms, and I suspect Mythic would only let you talk to players in your own realm).

Personally, I only use voice comms in one situation - if everyone else in the group is also (Including when there are only 2-3 of us, and one is a slow typer).

Darzil

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
In the latest ingame polls in the US, mythic are considering or at least getting peoples opinion on making voice comm a function within DAOC.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
It also looks like some kind of voice communications software, maybe even built by mythic is going to be implemented into the DAOC Client Interface.

Edit: Should read posts before posting tbh :p

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Having said that, voice coms are used by soooo many people, and soooo many would quit without it, that there is no way people would be banned for using it

So by your logic, if sooo many people would use radar and would quit without radar, it would be allowed?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Ventrilo (or any voice-com program) is an absolute godsend in RvR, in particular; once you've used it, it feels like wading through treacle trying to get anything done via clunky old typing. I don't regard it as cheating at all, since it doesn't provide you with any in-game information you don't already have - all it does is massively increase the efficiency of your communication. By the time you've typed "35 enemies inc SE" the damn lag-cast-abusing CCers have already mezzed you; if you can just say it in Vent, everyone has more time to react and get the hell out of there. The same applies in high-level PvE, where you may need to react very fast; by the time the Healer's typed "aaargh get sodding Flimnos off me" they're already dead, whereas if he/she/it can just go "get them off me!" in Vent you have time to do something useful about it.

I do think Vent's something of a double-edged sword, to a degree, though.

PROS:

* Instant communication, which is very often a life-saver in any given situation, especially in RvR. Being able to do at the same time as talking makes all the difference.
* You get to actually talk to people, so you get a lot more of the personality; can feel much more sociable and friendly that way, and feel like you're getting to know people a lot better than you would have done through text alone.
* It's much harder to take something said in jest (or in any manner) the wrong way, since you get the tone of voice element that's obviously missing from text chat. We recently had a falling-out between some people in my guild and some other people in my guild, which would have been a fuck's sight easier to sort out if people would have just gotten into a Vent channel together and talked about it.

CONS:

* Can feel intrusive at times, and certainly reduces your immersion in the gameworld.
* Can't really listen to music while using Vent - I personally love to have music on when I'm playing DAOC, and sometimes you just don't want to talk.
* You can very easily start to depend on Vent so much that you don't pay attention to what's being said in /gu, and this can make people who don't use Vent feel left out and alienated. This is I feel the single biggest drawback with it.

Dorimor1

Banned
If you can't type remotely fast by now then there is something wrong with you. Its very easy to manage without vent, you just need to be more coordinated in your hands. Though ventrillo is very useful its not a 'must'

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with Svart on the /gu comment. It does impact the amount of /gu we respond to in group.

Having said that, we pretty much insist on it when running a group, merely so we can charge/retreat/peel etc as a group. Its hard enough to have any chance against other groups, without including a 3 - 5 lag due to typing.

Also we have plenty of opportunity to be rude to each other in ventrilo, which offers alot amusing moments.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
afaik mythic are closer to implementing voice comms into the game than banning them, heard some talk about it a while back. Think they decided against it in the end though.

What svart said though tbh.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
I agree with Svart, some of the evenings we've had on Ventrilo have just been too funny for words.

It's a valuable aid to high level PvE and definitely to RvR, it's free, so everyone can get it, and servers aren't that expensive if you lease one of their existing ones.

Being a journalist, I'm an exceptionally fast touch typist, but even I can't always type quick enough to let people know about something, Vent makes my life as a shaman much easier.

I do agree for some people it might be intrusive, there are people who like to keep their gaming completely separate from their 'real life'. Personally I've never understood this, the people I've met and become friends with through playing online games are just as important to me as the people I became friends with at primary school.

All in all, I'd say Vent's definitely a 90% good, 10% bad addition to DAoC gaming.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Cadiva said:
Being a journalist, I'm an exceptionally fast touch typist, but even I can't always type quick enough to let people know about something, Vent makes my life as a shaman much easier.
Yep. I've played guitar for 24 years - I have extremely dextrous fingers and can type very fast, but it's still not a patch on being able to just say stuff.

And besides, without Vent...how would I do my Emperor Palpatine impressions?

:)

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Yep. I've played guitar for 24 years - I have extremely dextrous fingers and can type very fast, but it's still not a patch on being able to just say stuff.

And besides, without Vent...how would I do my Emperor Palpatine impressions?

:)

Well exactly! Those, and Bunji's expletives, just make my Vent experiences superb. Have actually been crying with laughter on more than one occasion with you lot :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Dorimor1 said:
If you can't type remotely fast by now then there is something wrong with you. Its very easy to manage without vent, you just need to be more coordinated in your hands. Though ventrillo is very useful its not a 'must'

I can type fast enough when i want to, however vent makes alot of things easier. Especially the fact that i use keyboard in conjunction with the mouse constantly in fights so if i had to type in commands i be fucked, would end up standing on spot being nuked down while typing instead of moving to position and attacking.

When fighting i move with keyboard, target with mouse, select pets/nuke with keyboard, use mouse for artifacts/macros etc so there really is no time to type. Would mean being out the fight for a minimum of 3seconds which is long enough for someoen to interupt/kill someoen

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
As expected most people saying yeeey vent/TS/etc...
I totally understand this as it is indeed an assit too the game. But it is not a part of the game. If mythic would introduce a chat proggy in a patch for daoc it would be fine by me, but i see quite a few people who dont have headphones or dont know how to get vent/ts rolling. These people get excluded from rvr or get less of a chance in rvr by something wich is not even a part of the game... Hence i say it is a 3rd party program and therefore shouldn't be allowed.

As evryone said Vent greatly improves your reaction times, isnt this giving you a biiiig edge on the people that dont?

Don't get me wrong u can use vent all you like as i quit the game and proggies as vent only played 0.005% part in that so couldnt give a rats ass. But as i see it the casual player again gets it up the rear (not all ofc cuz there are plenty that do run vent but its another jinx on a dying breed in the game).

The only reason i heared its not considered a third party program because it doesnt interfere with the client server datastream or whatever the GM said. Doesnt mean it doesnt give people an unfair advantage over the non users as you cant expect people to run programs outside of the game to stay competitive.

/kiss

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom