Ventrillo 3rd party program?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Phooka said:
Don't get me wrong u can use vent all you like as i quit the game and proggies as vent only played 0.005% part in that so couldnt give a rats ass. But as i see it the casual player again gets it up the rear (not all ofc cuz there are plenty that do run vent but its another jinx on a dying breed in the game).

/kiss

I wonder why you're asking as you've quit and you say here that Ventrilo had nothing to do with it?

I'm a casual gamer and I use Ventrilo. I only have 3 level 50 characters across three accounts and I've played since Euro closed beta.
I have one sort of half-templated character (my shammie and she's not even a FOTM spec, she's 38 Aug, 35 Mend, 15 Cave). She's only RR3L5 and she's only ML7, which I dinged on Saturday night and I haven't played again this week, so I guess I'm about as casual as you can get.

I really don't see how using Ventrilo or Teamspeak is a big deal at all.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Cadiva said:
I really don't see how using Ventrilo or Teamspeak is a big deal at all.

Its not, just have been wondering bout this a long time.

And gratz on yer ding :drink:

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Phooka said:
Its not, just have been wondering bout this a long time.

And gratz on yer ding :drink:

Ahh, fair enough then and thank you :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Phooka said:
As expected most people saying yeeey vent/TS/etc...
I totally understand this as it is indeed an assit too the game. But it is not a part of the game. If mythic would introduce a chat proggy in a patch for daoc it would be fine by me, but i see quite a few people who dont have headphones or dont know how to get vent/ts rolling. These people get excluded from rvr or get less of a chance in rvr by something wich is not even a part of the game... Hence i say it is a 3rd party program and therefore shouldn't be allowed.

As evryone said Vent greatly improves your reaction times, isnt this giving you a biiiig edge on the people that dont?

Don't get me wrong u can use vent all you like as i quit the game and proggies as vent only played 0.005% part in that so couldnt give a rats ass. But as i see it the casual player again gets it up the rear (not all ofc cuz there are plenty that do run vent but its another jinx on a dying breed in the game).

The only reason i heared its not considered a third party program because it doesnt interfere with the client server datastream or whatever the GM said. Doesnt mean it doesnt give people an unfair advantage over the non users as you cant expect people to run programs outside of the game to stay competitive.

/kiss

Vent is accessable for anyone that wants it.. they just need to ask someone that uses it and they will be given a link, download takes about 4minutes on dialup, then it is straightforward to use.

I havent had a mic for a long time hooked up, still ran with some the best groups about because i simply listened to vent and what was going on. And if you want to ban people using Vent then you really need to ban people that use ANY communication tools while logged in. This means cant have msn, irc, icq etc etc running because you "may" use it to gain an advantage in various ways.

But thats just my thought.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Corran said:
Vent is accessable for anyone that wants it.. they just need to ask someone that uses it and they will be given a link, download takes about 4minutes on dialup, then it is straightforward to use.

I havent had a mic for a long time hooked up, still ran with some the best groups about because i simply listened to vent and what was going on. And if you want to ban people using Vent then you really need to ban people that use ANY communication tools while logged in. This means cant have msn, irc, icq etc etc running because you "may" use it to gain an advantage in various ways.

But thats just my thought.

not lobbying for a ban ;) was curious how many people see the negative side of TS/vent/etc

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Phooka said:
not lobbying for a ban ;) was curious how many people see the negative side of TS/vent/etc

Vent/TS etc can get about as negative as a normal mobile or even housephone would be... only cheaper.

It's something all can access, just not everyone uses it for various reasons as in a) don't want to talk, b) they'd end up shouting at everybody, c) they are men pretending boys and don't want to be found out... :)

There's not more of a advantage in using it then if you'd be sat next to eachother in a cafe - and i doubt they'll call people playing together in a cafe cheating.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Phooka said:
As expected most people saying yeeey vent/TS/etc...
I totally understand this as it is indeed an assit too the game. But it is not a part of the game. If mythic would introduce a chat proggy in a patch for daoc it would be fine by me, but i see quite a few people who dont have headphones or dont know how to get vent/ts rolling. These people get excluded from rvr or get less of a chance in rvr by something wich is not even a part of the game... Hence i say it is a 3rd party program and therefore shouldn't be allowed.

As evryone said Vent greatly improves your reaction times, isnt this giving you a biiiig edge on the people that dont?

The only reason i heared its not considered a third party program because it doesnt interfere with the client server datastream or whatever the GM said. Doesnt mean it doesnt give people an unfair advantage over the non users as you cant expect people to run programs outside of the game to stay competitive.

/kiss

What about people with advanced gaming mouses where they can bind their artifact abilities or other abilities?

Or with advanced gamer keyboards?

I mean, come on, the "dont have headphones" is a bad excuse, costs almost nothing these days, and if you can't install Vent as it is to complicated for you, I don't think it is the others voice talking that gives them the edge...

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Aadia said:
It's something all can access, just not everyone uses it for various reasons as in a) don't want to talk, b) they'd end up shouting at everybody, c) they are men pretending boys and don't want to be found out... :)

Did i say men pretending boys??? i meant men pretending to be girls - but i think people got the idea :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom